LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by zerobandwidth »

Had "voltage" but committed "capacitance".
Had "stage manager" but committed "director".
Lost 2(2)-3(3) instead of winning 4(4)-3(3).
Womp womp.

Forfeits in D Summit 2 have been particularly problematic, including a full-season Pavano. I daresay the standings might be significantly different if people were showing up consistently, as some have benefitted more than others from the luck of the draw. I admit I was part of the problem on MD8, but there have been way more chronic absentees than I would have expected.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

econgator wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:48 am Gyros? Seriously?
I was wrong by thinking they had nice shiny hair. My guess of Breck, from the old Breck girl ad campaigns was a no. Our local Greek restaurant prefers to decorate with really horrendous forced perspective frescoes of Greek villages.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

cmp146 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:29 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:48 am Gyros? Seriously?
I was wrong by thinking they had nice shiny hair. My guess of Breck, from the old Breck girl ad campaigns was a no.
I was on a similar wavelength with my guess of Clairol.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I guessed Maybelleine for the gyro question, even though it didn't really make sense given the wording of the clues.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I guessed Snapple.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

I tried hydration.

Holy freakin' gyros, Batman--the LL msg board thread is already five pages long. Not sure lunch is long enough to digest all that.
In and out of the pool four times
classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by classicroadster »

I went with diamonds...can't say I ever recall seeing those posters.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

Each of the past two days I have gotten three right- respectable for two reasonably tough days while in D Rundle, yet have fallen four places in the standings into the relegation zone largely because of bad defense. Yesterday, I knew that the volleyball question was likely one of the tougher ones, yet gave it a zero in large part due to my opponent’s UCLA alma mater. It backfired.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I knew that I knew Kiraly, but it wasn't coming to me. Somehow I kept going Crash ... Crush ... no, that isn't it ... and after a while, the letters fell into place. Never heard the other name, however.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Yep, that regression hit hard.

Defense fail or 50/50/90
Defense fail
Defense fail
Brain fail
Defense fail

So back to just hoping to stave off relegation now.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:42 am I knew that I knew Kiraly, but it wasn't coming to me. Somehow I kept going Crash ... Crush ... no, that isn't it ... and after a while, the letters fell into place. Never heard the other name, however.
Talkin bout my peeps there. I could’ve named both Sinjin Smith and Karch Kiraly along with a few more members of that ‘84 Olympic team. A friend of mine played collegiate volleyball against many of them, so that helped too. I’m just glad that Thorsten didn’t have us spell the last name of Bob Ctvrtlik :mrgreen:
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Did any of our resident Jeopardy! contestants think of John Lauderdale -- long time J! stage manager -- on that related question?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I had an interesting occurrence on MD18. My wife and I watched some of CNN's "History of Comedy" series a couple weeks ago and there was a segment on the movie "Airplane." It was mentioned that "Airplane" was Leslie Nielsen's first comedy role. For some reason I was thinking about that on Monday night and that led to a mention of one of Nielsen's other movie classics "Dracula: Dead and Loving It." Literally five minutes later I read the MD 18 questions!

With a MD 18 win I'm somehow now sitting in second place in Fjord A. I'm actually slightly under my lifetime QPct, but have made up for it with strong defense (.836 DE) and--perhaps--a little luck!
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

RandyG wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:37 am Did any of our resident Jeopardy! contestants think of John Lauderdale -- long time J! stage manager -- on that related question?
I didn't, but wish I had; it probably would have rebalanced the weight of my Kosman koin. (Instead, it landed on the side that said "director".)
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by SwanShadow »

Woof wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:22 am
alietr wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:42 am I knew that I knew Kiraly, but it wasn't coming to me. Somehow I kept going Crash ... Crush ... no, that isn't it ... and after a while, the letters fell into place. Never heard the other name, however.
Talkin bout my peeps there. I could’ve named both Sinjin Smith and Karch Kiraly along with a few more members of that ‘84 Olympic team. A friend of mine played collegiate volleyball against many of them, so that helped too. I’m just glad that Thorsten didn’t have us spell the last name of Bob Ctvrtlik :mrgreen:
I was a student at Pepperdine (NCAA men's volleyball champions, 1978 and several times since) from 1979 to 1981, when first Smith and later Kiraly were the marquee names at our crosstown V-ball rivals UCLA. I had transferred before Bob Ctvrtlik arrived at Pep, but I'd have probably misspelled his name anyway. :D
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Well, that untimely forfeit put me in the relegation zone. I thought for sure I had submitted early in the morning, and didn't check my email. I even remember typing "A Pinkle In Time" as a BWA attempt for the movie question. I guess I never made it down to the submit button, thinking about defense or trying to come up with another answer. :oops:

I would've lost anyway, but wouldn't have the forfeit attached to my name or the loss of a point. Now I'm off to submit today's questions so history doesn't repeat itself....
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

ouachiouat wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:43 am Well, that untimely forfeit put me in the relegation zone. I thought for sure I had submitted early in the morning, and didn't check my email. I even remember typing "A Pinkle In Time" as a BWA attempt for the movie question. I guess I never made it down to the submit button, thinking about defense or trying to come up with another answer. :oops:

I would've lost anyway, but wouldn't have the forfeit attached to my name or the loss of a point. Now I'm off to submit today's questions so history doesn't repeat itself....
You can also have it send you a text message on your phone. I've found that that saved me a few times from possibly forgetting. I'm much more likely to see one of those, and it acts as an additional safety net.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Props to the 40% who knew de Fermat. I've taken a lot of math classes in my life and never heard of him that I can recall. Cost me my first beer, but I still won 9(5)-3(3) playing an opponent with an almost impossible Def score of 0.397. Knew Red Sparrow, Ayers Rock, Columbo, and 6 Days War cold, started at Ikea but then thought high revenue= oil and went with BP. One of my quickest submissions ever.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I saw the 60 Minutes interview with Jennifer Lawrence a few weeks ago. I figured that that new movie with her was the answer, but I could not for the life of me remember the title. I guessed Red Dossier and was amazed that I got even that close.

My opponent must assign defense based on their perception of the objective difficulty of the questions, because they gave me a 3 for Fermat and a 2 for Six Day War. I will take a win however I can get it.

And I went with Volkswagen for the European company.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:07 am Props to the 40% who knew de Fermat. I've taken a lot of math classes in my life and never heard of him that I can recall.
It could be something non-math people are just as likely to know. "Fermat's Last Theorem" is almost pop culture--or at least as pop culture as something involving math can be!

Had my first six-pack of the season yesterday.