LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Blue Lion wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:39 am Yes, I was one of the 32 percent who answered Rose McGowan instead of Alyssa Milano.
Me Too on the #metoo! I had totally forgotten Alyssa Milano was involved.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:57 am
Blue Lion wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:39 am Yes, I was one of the 32 percent who answered Rose McGowan instead of Alyssa Milano.
Me Too on the #metoo! I had totally forgotten Alyssa Milano was involved.
I was trying and trying to remember Rose MacGowan's name, but couldn't pull it, so in desperation put down Alyssa Milano. There's no shame, only points. :lol:
plasticene
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by plasticene »

I was considering Alyssa Milano, but decided to go with ... Rose Byrne. :roll:

I knew Alyssa Milano had some distinction in the movement, and I knew she wasn't a Weinstein victim because she made some statement defending his wife (and her friend/Project Runway All-Stars co-judge) Georgina Chapman after Rose McGowan accused her of some kind of complicity. So what else could that distinction be? Then to compound my error I go and pick the wrong Rose!

I still would have lost, since I wrongly defended the Jack in the Box question. Everywhere I've lived, Jack in the Box and its commercials have been ubiquitous, so I had no idea that there were vast Jack in the Box deserts in most of the country.
fowlerism

Post by fowlerism »

Playing MaddenDavid today, so I'm doomed. Should be fun, though!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I would love to know how cloaca hit 44% (didn't get it; NHOI) and Bay City Rollers got 50% (got it). I thought both were highly obscure.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:49 am I would love to know how cloaca hit 44% (didn't get it; NHOI) and Bay City Rollers got 50% (got it). I thought both were highly obscure.
Once you hear the word cloaca, and learn its kinda gross purpose, it is hard to unlearn it. The video someone posted to th LL message board has further cemented it for me. *Shudder*

Bay city rollers are obscure now, but were huge in the 70s... LL skews to younger ages on average - I got it from living through it, but maybe the geographic hints helped?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I'm holding steady at 20th place in A Taiga even after a L2 streak! Just trying to avoid relegation now :oops:

On the plus side, I have a perfect film score for LL76, which is crazy given my overall 52% get rate
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

alietr wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:49 am I would love to know how cloaca hit 44% (didn't get it; NHOI) and Bay City Rollers got 50% (got it). I thought both were highly obscure.
Cloaca was buried deep in my head somewhere. I think I heard it in context of chickens laying eggs.

When I started the Match Day, I knew 0 answers for sure. A few nice guesses got me 3 and a win at least.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

White Russian was hilarious; I've been rewatching Archer and on Thursday saw the episode where he 'invents' a Black Mexican (coffee liqueur + Tequila). If you added milk it'd be a White Mexican! (Would've gotten it anyway (Big Lebowski. Also bartending class) but amusing universe coincidence)

And I think I've staved off relegation if I've done the math right.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm with you on cloaca, but I know the song "Saturday Night", which along with the geographic hints, got me to BCR.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Going by J! usage the band is higher:

#7212, aired 2016-01-12 THE WEEKEND IN POP CULTURE $1000: This band was No. 1 for one "S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night" in 1975
#6385, aired 2012-05-25 SPELLING WITH THE STARS $1000: It's the night the Bay City Rollers planned to rock it up, roll it up, do it all & have a ball
#4348, aired 2003-06-25 SONGS $1000: They were on a "roll" when they sent us a "Rock and Roll Love Letter" in '76
#4320, aired 2003-05-16 LET'S ROCK! $400: The frenzy accompanying this Scottish band's U.S. tour in 1976 was nicknamed "Rollermania"
#4177, aired 2002-10-29 BEFORE & AFTER $800: Otis Redding's No. 1 hit that's performed by a Scottish band on S-a-t-u-r-d-a-y Night
#3668, aired 2000-07-12 SID & MARTY KROFFT TV $300 (Daily Double): In 1978 this Scottish band hosted the Krofft Superstar Hour on S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y nights

#7112, aired 2015-07-14 ANIMAL PARTS $1200: Biologists say snakes do have a distinct one of these, going back from an outlet called the cloaca

I gave a zero for the band (she got it) as I did something I rarely do and looked into my opponent's hits/misses for music. There was a enough evidence to suggest my opponent was probably old enough to make it a gimme. I got 2 for knowing it. I gave away a win and settled for a tie by over-specifying the art and writing Venus de Milo.

We correctly three-ed each other for the cloaca.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I once listened to an audiobook in which one of the characters dropped his wallet in a Port-a-John. The author used to word "cloaca" to describe what the poor guy had to fish his wallet out of. For some reason, that image stuck in my head.

As for the Bay City Rollers, I'm from Michigan and the local papers tried to explain why a band from the UK gave itself that name. According to one account, a member of the band threw a dart on a map of North America and it landed on Bay City, Michigan. By the way, residents would dispute LL's characterization of Bay City as a "small town": its population is 35,000.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Pop music is my fourth worst category, but Bay City Rollers was my only get yesterday. I thought that Saturday Night is a well known song, but it might be the type of song that everyone recognizes but few know the name of the artist.

I am kicking myself for not connecting the dots on White Russian and Venus, and also for going with Garrison over Douglass.

And I am surprised that cloaca even got 44%. That rang no bells at all.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I knew Cloaca as a high-end synonym for sewer, but did not know its precise meaning, so a miss. I zeroed my opponent for BCR (sensed he'd been around a while, strong in pop music, and went to school in Michigan) but only because White Russian seemed possible to miss if you stopped reading the clue after a couple of words.
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Somehow I must have misread "statue" as "skeleton", going with the MCWA.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

The only way I got to Bay City Rollers was by figuring out Thorsten's hint, "not from a place like San Fran, Tampa, Norfolk, Monterey, Mobile or the like", that is, bay cities. Pretty pleased with myself for that but it didn't do me any good as I went down (4)3 (9)6, leaving me in even greater danger of relegation. And no BWA love for omniwazoo, which I kinda liked. It's been a tough season for me, I've played better than most of my career averages but my opponents seem to have their best days against me. Things will even out soon, I hope.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Blue Lion wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:32 am By the way, residents would dispute LL's characterization of Bay City as a "small town": its population is 35,000.
I have a friend who is a lifelong Bay City resident. Bay City is a small town and I don't think he'd ever deny it.

I only missed Venus yesterday. That was my first instinct, but then I thought "wait, isn't the Venus de Milo supposed to actually be a sculpture of Venus?" Then I had the thought that it could be Eve and decided to go with that instead.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:06 pm
I only missed Venus yesterday. That was my first instinct, but then I thought "wait, isn't the Venus de Milo supposed to actually be a sculpture of Venus?" Then I had the thought that it could be Eve and decided to go with that instead.
Venus/Eve was a coin flip. For once, the coin landed right for me.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:25 am
I'm with you on cloaca, but I know the song "Saturday Night", which along with the geographic hints, got me to BCR.
A few weeks ago, my wife and I were taking a trip down 1970s memory lane with YouTube videos when we happened to land on "Saturday Night." The thought then ran through my head that The BCRs were a Scottish band, but that I think they somehow took their name from Bay City, Michigan. (The video binge started with Paul Davis' "I Go Crazy" after we heard it as a background song on a TV show.)
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:29 am Annoying defensive loss for me yesterday, 6(4)-5(4). My opponent missed fracking, which I assigned zero. This despite his 30-31 lifetime performance in current events. And, yes, I know that question was officially classified as science, but to me it was very much a current events question.
Seems almost impossible. I would assume that he assumed he would get a 0 and maybe went for a BWA?
Sheepin' it real.