LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My chances of winning my rundle took a hit yesterday when I lost 6(4)-7(5). I'm now in third place but four points below the leader. My opponent's only miss was Fortnite and I missed that and polyester--going with nylon instead. For some reason my opponent gave me three points for Terence Trent D'Arby.
quarterrican
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by quarterrican »

Missed the Fortnite question yesterday morning, then over a couple afternoon hours I saw at least three different articles about it. Classic.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

On the Fortnite question, I figured at first that it would just be some newer version of Minecraft, but "survival video game" didn't sit right with me. Then I remembered Fortnite as a recent craze that fit the survival bill decently, and I thought I remembered it being free (a lot of this was thanks to having a 10-year-old nephew who plays it). I thought October was too long ago, though, and I combed over the question for reassurance and an excuse not to change my answer. Then I saw the last two words were "two weeks." Boom!
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

I got my first ever Dolly Parton! I missed fortnite, and looking back at the question it does mention two weeks, but I didn't catch that.

Actually, I thought I had never had a 9(6), but looking back it shows that I did once. Even weirder is that I looked at those questions, and I don't know the answers to two of them. I must have just had some good guesses, but you'd think that I'd remember getting a sole 9(6).
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

One of top local attractions, the Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation, is going to open a display devoted to the works of Charles and Ray Eames: https://www.thehenryford.org/current-ev ... -ray-eames

So that question, at least, was an instaget.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Blue Lion wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:26 pm One of top local attractions, the Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation, is going to open a display devoted to the works of Charles and Ray Eames: https://www.thehenryford.org/current-ev ... -ray-eames

I knew that was an Eames chair, but didn't know previously the Eames' were a husband and wife. Since they're named Charles and Ray I guess I'd always assumed they were brothers!
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Blue Lion wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:26 pm One of top local attractions, the Henry Ford Museum of American Innovation, is going to open a display devoted to the works of Charles and Ray Eames: https://www.thehenryford.org/current-ev ... -ray-eames

I was there in December. Why couldn't they have opened 6 months earlier?
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Wpwells wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:25 pm

There's an Eames chair in the museum. Also a Dymaxion house, which recently came up on Jeopardy.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Had I simply gone with my gut and put Dominican Republic the other day, I would be in line to promote into a C rundle from my rookie rundle. But I didn't, and now I'm sitting squarely on top of the D pack (I'm hopelessly behind on the tiebreaker with the person ahead of me) :(
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Wpwells wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:25 pm

On a related note, I ran across this story in the local paper tonight. The headline: "Michigan basketball players - like everyone else - going crazy over Fortnite": http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.s ... story.html
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

88% remember "fire and fury" ? Heck, I was the only one in my rundle to miss it.

I did, however, manage to get 4 MCWA. :)

And who are the 7% who have clearly never seen a Stratego board?
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

econgator wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:47 am 88% remember "fire and fury" ? Heck, I was the only one in my rundle to miss it.
Got so close with "force and fury". Oh well.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

econgator wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:47 am And who are the 7% who have clearly never seen a Stratego board?
My family had the game Sorry! so I played it quite a bit, but had forgotten it used cards. I ended up putting down Diplomacy just to have something and I'm sure lots of people were in the same boat. It is sort of strange that 7% came up with Stratego for their guess. I think the "man" and "men" references on the card led lots of people to think it was a war game. I know it did for me.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:08 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:47 am And who are the 7% who have clearly never seen a Stratego board?
My family had the game Sorry! so I played it quite a bit, but had forgotten it used cards. I ended up putting down Diplomacy just to have something and I'm sure lots of people were in the same boat. It is sort of strange that 7% came up with Stratego for their guess. I think the "man" and "men" references on the card led lots of people to think it was a war game. I know it did for me.
No offense, but Diplomacy?!? Part of the beauty of that game is that there is no element of chance since there are no cards or dice.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:14 pm
No offense, but Diplomacy?!? Part of the beauty of that game is that there is no element of chance since there are no cards or dice.
I knew absolutely nothing about the game other than the name and that it exists :)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

My family had the game Sorry! so I played it quite a bit, but had forgotten it used cards.
Thankfully, this is one of the games my brother, my mother, and I played this Christmas.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:19 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:14 pm
I knew absolutely nothing about the game other than the name and that it exists :)
It's a great way for 7 friends to kill a whole day. You'd probably like it. A few years back, I organized a game via email. It was nice to remember how to play it.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:26 pm
My family had the game Sorry! so I played it quite a bit, but had forgotten it used cards.
Thankfully, this is one of the games my brother, my mother, and I played this Christmas.
Oh, I'm so Sorry! to hear that.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I figured the muscle group had to be the muscles at the back of the thigh since the biceps femoris would be the analogue of the biceps muscle of the arm, but I had never before heard of that group of muscles of a single leg being referred to as a plural. "I pulled my left hamstrings"? Who says that? I ended up going with "quads," knowing I was going to be disappointed.

I also didn't know "Cantaloupe Island," but I should have. About an hour after submitting (and without having listened to the song), I had an epiphany. "I bet that's the song that Us3 sampled as the background track for 'Cantaloop'! I've always wondered why that song was called that!" Yep. Can't believe I've never looked that up/committed it to memory.

I was pretty happy to pull Goa out of absolutely nowhere, though.
Sprinkles are for winners.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

For some reason, I thought Sorry! was played with dice, not cards. Oh well.

Still got the win, and am guaranteed to be promoted back into D since I'm 2 points ahead of the last promotion spot, and didn't forfeit today.
Now swimming in the J! pool.