LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

boson
Trivial

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by boson »

How he, and the hosting company, don't have multiple redundant backups is a mystery to me. This is Thorsten's livelihood, and hard drive failures shouldn't threaten that.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

boson wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 8:58 am How he, and the hosting company, don't have multiple redundant backups is a mystery to me. This is Thorsten's livelihood, and hard drive failures shouldn't threaten that.
He seems to run LL pretty much as a one man band. I wonder if the growth of the league has gotten it to a size where the technical aspects of it have gotten beyond his ability to do it on his own.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 11:04 am
boson wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 8:58 am How he, and the hosting company, don't have multiple redundant backups is a mystery to me. This is Thorsten's livelihood, and hard drive failures shouldn't threaten that.
He seems to run LL pretty much as a one man band. I wonder if the growth of the league has gotten it to a size where the technical aspects of it have gotten beyond his ability to do it on his own.
Quite possibly, but in this case it is baffling as to why the hosting company doesn't have off-site backups.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

On the bright side, now nobody will ever see how badly I did on the Big East basketball 1D.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:55 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 11:04 am
Quite possibly, but in this case it is baffling as to why the hosting company doesn't have off-site backups.
Offsite wouldn't be necessary per se (unless the EMP came from inside the server room) but definitely offline. But that's usually (still) done with tape which while not necessarily expensive (relatively) from my experience tends to need regular TLC.

An offline RAID feels like it'd be a very expensive piece of kit. And if we're talking the whole hosting facility?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There was an incident a couple years ago in the middle of a season where the league was shut down for a few days due to a server issue. I believe at the time he said he got a new server.

I have no idea how all this works, but he seems to have bad luck hiring servers. How common is it for a server to have a problem like this?
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Bamaman wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:29 am There was an incident a couple years ago in the middle of a season where the league was shut down for a few days due to a server issue. I believe at the time he said he got a new server.

I have no idea how all this works, but he seems to have bad luck hiring servers. How common is it for a server to have a problem like this?
This one is odd as normally no data would be lost, but hardware failures are a reality in server farms, and outages do happen from time to time. The key is how rapidly uptime can be restored.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Not yet mentioned here; there's been a new status update.

https://learnedleague.com/temp.htm
Monday, May 7, 2:31pm PT

So, how was your weekend? I returned home from the emergency room of Seattle Children's Hospital at about 5:00am on Saturday morning with my son (he's fine now) to find that the LL website was down, with an odd reticence from my hosting provider. And 12 hours (and zero sleep) after that, I got a call from the webhost telling me that in fact the LL website and all of its contents no longer exist! Elton was wrong -- Saturday night's alright for crying, is what I say.

Enough about me. The restoration process is coming along, and in fact the big majority of the site and data is already restored. For now I'll stick to the two week hiatus plan, though that might less conservative than I originally thought. There is some data loss, some of which can be re-created/re-populated (the LLama-hosted podcasts and events sections), some of which cannot (about the last year's worth of message board posts) and some which is a little of both (some custom flags and password changes, 1DS testing feedback and draft questions). However, as it appears right now, I do not believe any actual match results and data (for LLs, MLs, and 1DSs) is lost. Nothing "Core-LL" as it were. I will provide a full inventory of changes and also instructions when we return live (a universal and unrestricted Flag Amnesty is almost certain).

In the meantime, thanks again for your understanding.

-Thorsten
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 6:29 am There was an incident a couple years ago in the middle of a season where the league was shut down for a few days due to a server issue. I believe at the time he said he got a new server.
I don't think HE got a new server, I think he got a new hosting service for the site.
Woof

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 12:16 am
I don't think HE got a new server, I think he got a new hosting service for the site.
That's correct, Kirk. He changed hosting services after several disappointing incidents with the previous one. Given what's happened recently, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's shopping around again. :roll:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think that is what I meant. I'm not too strong at computer techno-jargon.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:02 am
Yeah, I think the important point is LearnedLeague isn't running from a server in Thorsten's basement. The site is hosted by a professional web hosting service, and they were the ones who had the hardware failure.
Woof

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:24 am
Bamaman wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 11:02 am
Yeah, I think the important point is LearnedLeague isn't running from a server in Thorsten's basement. The site is hosted by a professional web hosting service, and they were the ones who had the hardware failure.
Yes, a little DNS resolution tells me that he uses inmotionhosting.com right now. I can't say that I'm terribly impressed.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The LL site is back.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:09 pm The LL site is back.
This might be relevant here:
https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8082
Important Note Regarding Private Rundles: While all LL77 registration info for regular Rundles should be intact, all Private Rundles are lost, so LL77 Private Rundles need to be re-created and signed up for.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Volante wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:57 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:09 pm The LL site is back.
This might be relevant here:
https://learnedleague.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8082
Important Note Regarding Private Rundles: While all LL77 registration info for regular Rundles should be intact, all Private Rundles are lost, so LL77 Private Rundles need to be re-created and signed up for.
The private rundle has been re-created. If you signed up before the crash, you'll need to sign up again. If you didn't sign up before, what are you waiting for?
Rundle Name: Rundle in the Jundle 7
Registration Code: itsthattimeagain
Sprinkles are for winners.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:53 pm The private rundle has been re-created. If you signed up before the crash, you'll need to sign up again. If you didn't sign up before, what are you waiting for?
Cool, I just signed up
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

morbeedo wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:23 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 2:53 pm The private rundle has been re-created. If you signed up before the crash, you'll need to sign up again. If you didn't sign up before, what are you waiting for?
Cool, I just signed up
We are already up to 11 in LL77: Rundle in the Jundle 7! That was fast. Any other takers to bring us to an even 12?
May 23: LL77 Registration Closed (9am PT)
May 31: LL77 Opening Day
quarterrican
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by quarterrican »

cmp146 wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 3:14 pm
We are already up to 11 in LL77: Rundle in the Jundle 7! That was fast. Any other takers to bring us to an even 12?
May 23: LL77 Registration Closed (9am PT)
May 31: LL77 Opening Day
I'm in for another round - thanks for setting this up again!