LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5616
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by alietr » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:35 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:12 pm
I still managed a top 10% finish in the Canada-U.S. Border one-day, but shot myself in the foot somewhat by going with Winnipeg for Q2 (thinking Vancouver Island would have been excluded), and then, consequently, going for Saskatchewan on Q5 figuring there wouldn't be a second Manitoba question.

Turns out Regina and Edmonton are both south of 54-40, too, so Winnipeg wasn't a good guess.
I was one of the testers for that one. It was pretty hard. I recommended softening some of the questions by adding some TOM, which I think he did in one or two instances.

User avatar
badgerfellow
One and Done
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by badgerfellow » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:43 pm

alietr wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:35 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:12 pm
I still managed a top 10% finish in the Canada-U.S. Border one-day, but shot myself in the foot somewhat by going with Winnipeg for Q2 (thinking Vancouver Island would have been excluded), and then, consequently, going for Saskatchewan on Q5 figuring there wouldn't be a second Manitoba question.

Turns out Regina and Edmonton are both south of 54-40, too, so Winnipeg wasn't a good guess.
I was one of the testers for that one. It was pretty hard. I recommended softening some of the questions by adding some TOM, which I think he did in one or two instances.
Props to OntarioQuizzer for getting all 12 correct on that quiz. One of only 2 who accomplished it.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5616
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by alietr » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:45 pm

badgerfellow wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:43 pm
alietr wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:35 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:12 pm
I still managed a top 10% finish in the Canada-U.S. Border one-day, but shot myself in the foot somewhat by going with Winnipeg for Q2 (thinking Vancouver Island would have been excluded), and then, consequently, going for Saskatchewan on Q5 figuring there wouldn't be a second Manitoba question.

Turns out Regina and Edmonton are both south of 54-40, too, so Winnipeg wasn't a good guess.
I was one of the testers for that one. It was pretty hard. I recommended softening some of the questions by adding some TOM, which I think he did in one or two instances.
Props to OntarioQuizzer for getting all 12 correct on that quiz. One of only 2 who accomplished it.
Too bad it wasn't HQ instead.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8809
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Bamaman » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:09 pm

I managed a 90th percentile on the border quiz. I went on an Alaskan cruise a few years ago. It featured a stop in Skagway. We took a shore excursion there of a train trip. The train goes up a mountain and stops a few hundred feet in Canada.

We also stopped in Victoria, so I knew it was pretty far south. So the cruise was a big help to me on this game.

Then I went 0/12 on both the other quizzes from yesterday.
Complete the List champion, Episode 12.

User avatar
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month
Posts: 1752
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Contact:

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by RandyG » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:29 pm

alietr wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:35 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:12 pm
I still managed a top 10% finish in the Canada-U.S. Border one-day, but shot myself in the foot somewhat by going with Winnipeg for Q2 (thinking Vancouver Island would have been excluded), and then, consequently, going for Saskatchewan on Q5 figuring there wouldn't be a second Manitoba question.

Turns out Regina and Edmonton are both south of 54-40, too, so Winnipeg wasn't a good guess.
I was one of the testers for that one. It was pretty hard. I recommended softening some of the questions by adding some TOM, which I think he did in one or two instances.
I injected my own TOM into the question by recalling our resident Winnipegger -- Dave Kendall -- telling of a southerly adventure to his Kansas City J! audition. This didn't guarantee that Manitoba was correct, but it gave it a pretty high expected value as a guess.
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

User avatar
Blue Lion
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!
Posts: 1328
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Canton, Michigan

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Blue Lion » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:09 pm
I managed a 90th percentile on the border quiz. I went on an Alaskan cruise a few years ago. It featured a stop in Skagway. We took a shore excursion there of a train trip. The train goes up a mountain and stops a few hundred feet in Canada.

We also stopped in Victoria, so I knew it was pretty far south. So the cruise was a big help to me on this game.

Then I went 0/12 on both the other quizzes from yesterday.
In 1986, we stopped in Victoria on the way from Seattle to the Vancouver World's Fair. We stayed at the Empress Hotel and had high tea. The Fair was a wonderful experience. It marked the last time the U.S., the Soviet Union, and the People's Republic of China had pavilions at the same exhibition.

User avatar
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month
Posts: 1752
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Contact:

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by RandyG » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:03 pm

Blue Lion wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:01 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:09 pm
I managed a 90th percentile on the border quiz. I went on an Alaskan cruise a few years ago. It featured a stop in Skagway. We took a shore excursion there of a train trip. The train goes up a mountain and stops a few hundred feet in Canada.

We also stopped in Victoria, so I knew it was pretty far south. So the cruise was a big help to me on this game.

Then I went 0/12 on both the other quizzes from yesterday.
In 1986, we stopped in Victoria on the way from Seattle to the Vancouver World's Fair. We stayed at the Empress Hotel and had high tea. The Fair was a wonderful experience. It marked the last time the U.S., the Soviet Union, and the People's Republic of China had pavilions at the same exhibition.
If you're in Victoria for at least 24 hours and don't have high tea at the Empress, I believe that a felony.
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 3967
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:42 pm

Victoria is pretty fun. My wife surprised me a couple years ago by buying us tickets on Kenmore Air to Victoria. Kenmore Air operates floatplanes out of Seattle. Definitely a cool way to get there!

I got to sit up front on the return trip and shot this video of the landing in Lake Union:

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 8809
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Bamaman » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:00 am

We were only docked in Victoria for the afternoon. So our touring was limited to walking around the city. We thought it was very pretty. I do recall seeing the capitol building (or some sort of government building) while on our stroll.
Complete the List champion, Episode 12.

classicroadster
Loyal Jeopardista
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:04 pm
Location: Seacoast NH

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by classicroadster » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:17 pm

Need to work on my moneying...in Supercars I ended up with 320 points and 71st percentile. Optimum moneying would've given me 118 more points and a 27th place finish. Never thought that Lambo originally making tractors would be the second most commonly answered question and that Porsche/electric supercar and Wolf of Wall Street q's would be missed by so many.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3498
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Woof » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:42 pm

Oh, so close... With better moneying, I could have finished second in "Hollywood Science." As it is, I'll take my 95% finish.

User avatar
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions
Posts: 824
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by georgespelvin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:53 pm

Now that the Musical Eyestrain quiz deadline is passed, I can say that I'm proud that the smith (by coincidence) used my Telemachus question of several weeks ago from my Trivial Person of the Week contest on Facebook.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7364
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by econgator » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:54 pm

Finished 11th (97%) in the BSG 1DS. I think that's my 2nd best -ever finish. Could have finished 5th if I had monied "Peace" instead of "Lucifer".

User avatar
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 513
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by mennoknight » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:02 am

Blue Lion wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:01 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:09 pm
I managed a 90th percentile on the border quiz. I went on an Alaskan cruise a few years ago. It featured a stop in Skagway. We took a shore excursion there of a train trip. The train goes up a mountain and stops a few hundred feet in Canada.

We also stopped in Victoria, so I knew it was pretty far south. So the cruise was a big help to me on this game.

Then I went 0/12 on both the other quizzes from yesterday.
In 1986, we stopped in Victoria on the way from Seattle to the Vancouver World's Fair. We stayed at the Empress Hotel and had high tea. The Fair was a wonderful experience. It marked the last time the U.S., the Soviet Union, and the People's Republic of China had pavilions at the same exhibition.
Expo 86 was the best. It transformed Vancouver and also Expo Ernie was a very cool mascot. I distinctly remember the German pavilion, it had a rad model train and Kraftwerk playing on the speakers.

Victoria is probably my favourite city in Canada. It’s in a rain shadow, so it has a unique climate compared to the rest of BC. Great book stores, lovely harbour area, lots of homeless guys from Alberta.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 3967
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:39 pm

mennoknight wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:02 am
Victoria is probably my favourite city in Canada. It’s in a rain shadow, so it has a unique climate compared to the rest of BC. Great book stores, lovely harbour area, lots of homeless guys from Alberta.
I'm not 100% sure this is correct, but it sounds plausible: Victoria is the only weather station in Canada that's recorded a calendar year without a below freezing temperature.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8708
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by dhkendall » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:02 pm

RandyG wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:29 pm
alietr wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:35 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:12 pm
I still managed a top 10% finish in the Canada-U.S. Border one-day, but shot myself in the foot somewhat by going with Winnipeg for Q2 (thinking Vancouver Island would have been excluded), and then, consequently, going for Saskatchewan on Q5 figuring there wouldn't be a second Manitoba question.

Turns out Regina and Edmonton are both south of 54-40, too, so Winnipeg wasn't a good guess.
I was one of the testers for that one. It was pretty hard. I recommended softening some of the questions by adding some TOM, which I think he did in one or two instances.
I injected my own TOM into the question by recalling our resident Winnipegger -- Dave Kendall -- telling of a southerly adventure to his Kansas City J! audition. This didn't guarantee that Manitoba was correct, but it gave it a pretty high expected value as a guess.
Exactly. My audition was on a Tuesday so on Sunday we drove to my sister’s who lives in Emerson and stayed there overnight. Monday morning, later than I wanted (partly because my sister made us a really good breakfast) we drove 5 minutes from her place to the border station and started on I-29. We drove the entire length of it and, after a bit of trying to find it, got to our Airbnb 10 minutes after seeing the “I-29 End” sign. So, aside from drives off the highway for groceries or rest stops, we drove every inch of I-29 to my audition. (And, for part of it, listened to your excellent video in the car about how to audition well)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jacklynsh3 and 25 guests