LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Re: Learned League 76 - Official Thread

Post by countyguy »

ElendilPickle wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:44 pm
countyguy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:45 pm
ElendilPickle wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:41 pm
morbeedo wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:07 pm I just missed promotion to Continental A last season, but ultimately didn't make it. Now I find myself bumped up to Taiga A, which is weird
One of my other referrals asked if we could move to Taiga, so I asked Thorsten if my branch (I have my own branch! That's so weird) could move there. Welcome to A Taiga!
You asked? I thought you all had moved just because Thorsten, on his own, had the sense of humor to move you in response to your referral's posts in the thread for the new league name poll...
I did. I just thought it would be a nice thing to do.
I agree that it was a nice thing to do thumbs up👍. Sorry if my first post suggested I thought otherwise.
Wpwells
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wpwells »

A Seq once again
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

acthomas wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:29 am Nothing is better for my morning wake-up times than being in LL season and getting up to check results!
It's occasionally bad for my wake-up times when I decide to wait up for the results. And while I'm there, I usually give in to the temptation to play the next day, when I know I'm tired and am more prone to making RTFQ errors. Can I be more disciplined this season? I guess we'll see!
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

After being in Pacific R, E and D through my first seven LL seasons, I got moved to Taiga E Division 2 for LL76. I knew I was heading back to E rundle this season, but was surprised to see I was in Taiga and no longer in Pacific. What's even stranger is that I only see a handful of names that look familiar (one of them being fellow JBoardie, DOtt.)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

SBurrus wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:42 pm After being in Pacific R, E and D through my first seven LL seasons, I got moved to Taiga E Division 2 for LL76. I knew I was heading back to E rundle this season, but was surprised to see I was in Taiga and no longer in Pacific. What's even stranger is that I only see a handful of names that look familiar (one of them being fellow JBoardie, DOtt.)
Thorsten made a post on the LL message board on January 4 listing which branches were moving to the new leagues. The quickest way to find it is under "Commissioner Announcements". That post has a link to more information about expansion and realignment, if you're interested.

By the way, if you'd like to see the names of all of the players in your branch, you can click on "Branch:" on your profile page.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

One of those serendipitous moments in yesterday's match. Looked at the Mercosur question in the morning, but wasn't coming up with anything. I knew I knew it, but just couldn't pull it, so I let it be. That evening, I'm doing the dishes and puzzling it over and BAM it comes to me.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

Yesterday I spent a decent amount of time trying to figure out what letters "273-8255" represented. I got "TALK" pretty quickly, but the 273 bewildered me (Primates? (APE) Computer Science/Engineering? (CSE)).

Turns out it's because it doesn't stand for anything.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got the phone number on a total guess. I thought it might have been an anti-Trump group, but I couldn’t think of a specific group or why they would have a hotline.

I still lost 3(3)-4-(3).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Hornpipe instead of English horn. But it looks like hornpipes are woodwinds too, so that was a closer wrong answer than I expected.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

But is the English horn really a 'common' instrument? Got it wrong, but was assigned 0 thanks to my high classical musical %
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:52 pm
acthomas wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:29 am Nothing is better for my morning wake-up times than being in LL season and getting up to check results!
It's occasionally bad for my wake-up times when I decide to wait up for the results. And while I'm there, I usually give in to the temptation to play the next day, when I know I'm tired and am more prone to making RTFQ errors. Can I be more disciplined this season? I guess we'll see!
I'm prone to the same thing, but always wait till the morning to submit.

I'm off to a good start with a MD 1 win yesterday. Woohoo!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

acthomas wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:29 am First time in A after 15 prior seasons below (Summit). Get to face off against my MMama and 2 Crias for the first time in a long time!

I *may* have woken up this morning in a panic that I'd somehow missed questions from the night before, then gotten disappointed to wait another day.

Nothing is better for my morning wake-up times than being in LL season and getting up to check results!
Yeah, getting promoted to A might take some of the joy out of that particular routine. I know I learned that the hard way.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:14 am I got the phone number on a total guess. I thought it might have been an anti-Trump group, but I couldn’t think of a specific group or why they would have a hotline.

I still lost 3(3)-4-(3).
Ditto. "Hotline" steered me to the correct answer.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

I'm doing the two-minute challenge this season. The time limit at Geek Bowl really got to my team (we're used to being able to talk things to death), so I'm doing one initial read-through of the questions and then setting a two-minute timer. Anything I don't have in the boxes before two minutes is up will not count.

Yesterday I got 5/6. This was a good day because I don't think I would have gotten Mercosur with more time. I got 1, 2, 3, and 5 immediately, and I spent the rest of the time trying to think of Terrible. I ended up putting "South American Alliance" for lack of a better answer, though "SAFTA" would've been a "better" wrong answer, so I'm disappointed I didn't think of it.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:14 am I got the phone number on a total guess. I thought it might have been an anti-Trump group, but I couldn’t think of a specific group or why they would have a hotline.

I still lost 3(3)-4-(3).
Same here, but I made up for it by switching my music answer from "English horn" to "French horn" at the last minute.

And "Mercosur" bubbled up from the dark recesses of my memory shortly before I submitted my answers. It probably got there from reading The Wall Street Journal during the 1990s.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:46 pm
sarisson wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:29 pm One of the other players is not one of the NBA's all-time leading scorers, it turns out.
You'll be shocked to find out that none of them are!
...or a recent NL Rookie of the Year and MVP...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

All I could come up with for the "grozny" question was "great," at first thinking that it was the only historical adjective I could imagine (as in describing a Leap Forward or an Awakening), and then thinking of Peter and Catherine. Then moments before I committed myself to submitting, I remembered another Russian "X the Y" leader: Ivan the Terrible. I could see it also being translated as "formidable" or "awe-inspiring," and although I could do the same with "great," "terrible" just felt more right. Which goes to show: your first instinct is always correct unless your second one is.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Blue Lion wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:17 pm I made up for it by switching my music answer from "English horn" to "French horn" at the last minute.
I did the same thing, and it changed what would have been an 8(5)-7(5) win to a 6(4)-7(5) loss.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

After my first day in LearnedLeague, I've already learned that I'm apparently bad at defense. I turned what should have been a win into a tie.

I was surprised English horn was so sparsely answered. I'm not familiar with it other than that it exists, but the French horn isn't a woodwind, so WECIB?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Defense in a rookie rundle is a crapshoot at best, even more so at the beginning of the season, since you have no or little information on your opponents and you have to rely on your own intuition.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.