LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:11 am
classicroadster wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:07 am Props to the 40% who knew de Fermat. I've taken a lot of math classes in my life and never heard of him that I can recall.
It could be something non-math people are just as likely to know. "Fermat's Last Theorem" is almost pop culture--or at least as pop culture as something involving math can be!

Had my first six-pack of the season yesterday.
Math is my worst LL category and I got Fermat only by thinking that was not a Euclid type equation and not thinking of Pascal. It's not like I have dozen of French math guys at the ready.

I lost the chance to tie at 9(6) by guessing Nestle for the company as Business & Economy is right above Current Events for my three bottom dwellers.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:21 am
classicroadster wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:07 am Props to the 40% who knew de Fermat. I've taken a lot of math classes in my life and never heard of him that I can recall.
It could be something non-math people are just as likely to know. "Fermat's Last Theorem" is almost pop culture--or at least as pop culture as something involving math can be!

Math is my worst LL category and I got Fermat only by thinking that was not a Euclid type equation and not thinking of Pascal. It's not like I have dozen of French math guys at the ready.

I lost the chance to tie at 9(6) by guessing Nestle for the company as Business & Economy is right above Current Events for my three bottom dwellers.
I approached it trying to think of all the French sounding names of math terms I was familiar with from my college math/science and went through Euler (know he isn't French), Descartes, Pascal, Coulomb (not math), and Laplace. I ended up going with Laplace just to put something down.

It also appears that nearly the same question with an answer of Fermat came up in LL70, based on review of the message boards. LL74 was my first season so I hadn't seen the question before.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:26 am

I approached it trying to think of all the French sounding names of math terms I was familiar with from my college math/science and went through Euler (know he isn't French), Descartes, Pascal, Coulomb (not math), and Laplace.
No love for Fourier?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

+1 for Nestle.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:16 am

+1 for Nestle.
That question kept me from my third beer of the season. Big European companies? I was waffling between Airbus (aerospace) and Hoffman-Laroche (pharma), to no avail as it happened. I tried thinking of tech companies but could only come up with Nokia and Deutsche Telekom and financial services companies which only produced Credit Suisse and Lloyd's of London. I totally overlooked the petroleum sector but wouldn't have guessed Royal Dutch Shell -- my erstwhile employer -- as I had no confidence that it wasn't privately held. I kicked myself when I saw the reveal, but only because BP should have occurred to me. I'd never have guessed that auto companies would make the list, nor that AXA was so big. NHO a lot of the others.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I went with Unilever on that question. Swing and a miss.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:05 am

I approached it trying to think of all the French sounding names of math terms I was familiar with from my college math/science and went through Euler (know he isn't French), Descartes, Pascal, Coulomb (not math), and Laplace.
No love for Fourier?
Forgot about him. To be fair, its been almost 23 years since my last collegiate math class!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:34 am I totally overlooked the petroleum sector but wouldn't have guessed Royal Dutch Shell -- my erstwhile employer -- as I had no confidence that it wasn't privately held.
Would that have mattered? The questions specified largest companies, not corporations and the measure was revenue, so I would think both public and private companies would count.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

First thought Airbus then went with Total because I've seen the company listed as a top holding in international mutual funds. IKEA though?

Missed Columbo with Jessica Fletcher, in retrospect a bad guess. I've definitely heard of Columbo but I don't think I've ever seen it

Descartes for the tie 6(4)-6(4). By this point last season I had a few 9(6)s - none so far this season :cry:
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I had BP (although I said "British Petroleum" as I wasn't aware they'd officially changed the name to just BP few years ago).

Columbo's one of my favorite shows, so there's no way I was missing that.

It took me quite a while to drudge up Red Sparrow. I apparently do my best thinking in the shower because this one just popped in there as I was drying off. I had to deliberately not read my usual Entertainment Weekly over breakfast because I knew I was just about to get to the "rating all the current releases" chart (and Red Sparrow was, indeed, on there).
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
SwanShadow
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by SwanShadow »

Yeah, this. "Andrew Wiles = Fermat's Last Theorem" gets referenced in trivia circles a lot. I'm pretty sure it's popped up on LL before at least a couple of times.
Michael Rankins
ToC '88; Super J! '90; BoBAB '98; UToC '05; BotD Fan Favorite Reject, '14
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:24 pm First thought Airbus then went with Total because I've seen the company listed as a top holding in international mutual funds. IKEA though?

Missed Columbo with Jessica Fletcher, in retrospect a bad guess. I've definitely heard of Columbo but I don't think I've ever seen it

Descartes for the tie 6(4)-6(4). By this point last season I had a few 9(6)s - none so far this season :cry:
I went with Ikea. Thought it was a slam dunk.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:05 am

No love for Fourier?
When Learned League undergoes another expansion, Fourier will become the go-to answer.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

My opponent must assign defense based on their perception of the objective difficulty of the questions, because they gave me a 3 for Fermat and a 2 for Six Day War. I will take a win however I can get it.
My opponent gave me a 2 for Fermat (I answered Pascal). I was thinking, "Dude, did you even look at my math percentage?" :lol:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

SwanShadow wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:28 pm
Yeah, this. "Andrew Wiles = Fermat's Last Theorem" gets referenced in trivia circles a lot. I'm pretty sure it's popped up on LL before at least a couple of times.
And ST: TNG, too. :)

That may be where I first heard of it.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

When I first saw the Red Sparrow trailer, I was going to post somewhere on this board, congratulating Alex Trebek for landing a gig as Jennifer Lawrence's dialect coach. Sorry if anyone missed it because I didn't do that. (Playing along, I didn't get it. Also, playing along with yesterday's, ARGH. And the picture in Q6? Ew.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Annoying defensive loss for me yesterday, 6(4)-5(4). My opponent missed fracking, which I assigned zero. This despite his 30-31 lifetime performance in current events. And, yes, I know that question was officially classified as science, but to me it was very much a current events question.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The 98% get rate on fracking really surprised me. Yes, it has been in the news a lot, but not everyone follows current events that closely.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Yesterday's match was the worst performance of my LL career, but I timed it perfectly: I lost 2(3)-9(6).

Yes, I was one of the 32 percent who answered Rose McGowan instead of Alyssa Milano.
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Speaking of ST:tNG, MercerI and I had fun intercepting Data's message in the Jundle yesterday...

After I talked myself out of "Jack-in-the-Box" and answered "Wendy's" instead. :roll:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest