LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Post Reply
User avatar
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant
Posts: 388
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:56 pm
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Contact:

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by SenseiCAY » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:47 am

econgator wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:28 am
boson wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:22 am
Like 6% of Llamas, I was proud to come up with the k-pop boy band that performed at the closing ceremonies of the Olympics (EXO). I did not know there was more than one such band that could be asked about... I guess Psy showed that people outside of Korea listen to Korean pop, but I'm not one of them.
I had never heard of EXO and I had never heard of BST. That was a "leave it blank" thing for me.
Yeah, next time Thorsten asks about a K-pop band, I'll put down 3 random letters and have a 1/17576 chance of getting it right.

User avatar
Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 759
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: Cass County, Missouri

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Ironhorse » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:52 am

I put down EXO as well as it is literally the only KPop band I'd heard of. Yesterday was a disaster for me; the only one I got right was The Borrowers. Yet I still won. That makes up for me getting 5 right the previous day and scraping a tie due to poor defense.

I also put down Mary Tyler Moore because I just had no idea. I see 19% of the league did the same.
Last edited by Ironhorse on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

User avatar
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal
Posts: 1608
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Rolla, MO

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Linear Gnome » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:02 am

mennoknight wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:14 am
I have found this year very difficult to defend. I'm normally in the 6-700 range, and am currently sub .500. I've been consistently ranking the hardest of the day 3 (based on league wide performance), and opponents keep on getting em. I'm gone from chic to geek.
I, on the other hand, currently have a DE of .958. I don't feel as if I'm doing anything differently from my usual 6-700 range. I expect that defense will revert somewhat as the season progresses, for both of us. But, for now, it's interesting seeing myself listed 2nd on the Sandra leader board for Elysium.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1527
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:21 pm

I knew if I let the questions marinate for a while I’d come up with the answer to the Iraq war missile question - and it came to me around 12am while washing dishes. Yay, scud for the win!
coming at you like an ex-president

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2676
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:30 pm

BTS is one of my all-time proudest LL gets. I first became aware of them when they performed on the most recent New Year's Rockin' Eve. I came across their name a second time when one of the live trivia apps I play, Hangtime, was advertising a set of specialty quizzes on K-Pop. When the question came up, I couldn't quite remember their name, but I knew it was a three-letter initialism that reminded me of the BTK Killer. After about ten minutes of trying to pull it from the back of the brain file, it finally came to me.

OTOH, The Borrowers/The Littles was a classic 50/50/90.
Sprinkles are for winners.

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1425
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by boson » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:07 pm

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:30 pm
OTOH, The Borrowers/The Littles was a classic 50/50/90.
Only now am I realizing that there is a series of books called The Littles - I had assumed were talking about sequels to the book Stuart Little about a mouse child of a human family. In fact Stuart Little was written by EB White in 1945, twenty years before The Littles was written by John Peterson. Sometimes less knowledge is better.

User avatar
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler
Posts: 2512
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 12:53 am

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by ElendilPickle » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:11 pm

I follow IHeart Radio on Twitter; they've mentioned BTS a number of times.

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2676
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:29 pm

boson wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:07 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:30 pm
OTOH, The Borrowers/The Littles was a classic 50/50/90.
Only now am I realizing that there is a series of books called The Littles - I had assumed were talking about sequels to the book Stuart Little about a mouse child of a human family. In fact Stuart Little was written by EB White in 1945, twenty years before The Littles was written by John Peterson. Sometimes less knowledge is better.
This is how I feel about having missed the Olympics' closing ceremonies and therefore having not heard of EXO.
Sprinkles are for winners.

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1382
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Canton, Michigan

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Blue Lion » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:09 pm

SenseiCAY wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:47 am
econgator wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:28 am
boson wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:22 am
Like 6% of Llamas, I was proud to come up with the k-pop boy band that performed at the closing ceremonies of the Olympics (EXO). I did not know there was more than one such band that could be asked about... I guess Psy showed that people outside of Korea listen to Korean pop, but I'm not one of them.
I had never heard of EXO and I had never heard of BST. That was a "leave it blank" thing for me.
Yeah, next time Thorsten asks about a K-pop band, I'll put down 3 random letters and have a 1/17576 chance of getting it right.
Actually, your odds are slightly better than that. A K-Pop band probably won't call itself "STD", for instance.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1527
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:50 pm

I got credit for "spinners" but still lost

the hockey clue pointed me to octopus (ew, no way) or stop sign (is that 8 or 6 sides?) so I went with magic 8 ball
coming at you like an ex-president

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9039
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Bamaman » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:04 am

Blue Lion wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:09 pm
SenseiCAY wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:47 am
econgator wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:28 am
boson wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:22 am
Like 6% of Llamas, I was proud to come up with the k-pop boy band that performed at the closing ceremonies of the Olympics (EXO). I did not know there was more than one such band that could be asked about... I guess Psy showed that people outside of Korea listen to Korean pop, but I'm not one of them.
I had never heard of EXO and I had never heard of BST. That was a "leave it blank" thing for me.
Yeah, next time Thorsten asks about a K-pop band, I'll put down 3 random letters and have a 1/17576 chance of getting it right.
Actually, your odds are slightly better than that. A K-Pop band probably won't call itself "STD", for instance.
You could probably safely eliminate KKK as well.

User avatar
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal
Posts: 1608
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 am
Location: Rolla, MO

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Linear Gnome » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:55 am

I had another new experience on MD7: I drank the beer and dropped 5 places in the standings. Tough crowd for a C rundle! The good news is that, thanks to my opponent's 9(6), my DE is still .958, best in Elysium for now.

User avatar
BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!
Posts: 2676
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 am
Location: Rowlett, Texas

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:18 am

I don't mind losing, but 8(5)-9(5) hurts. Did you have to go and kill my defensive stats? How does a guy who was previously 10-11 on math questions miss a fairly straightforward one about perfect numbers?
Sprinkles are for winners.

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1320
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:55 am

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Johnblue » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:14 pm

I went 6 for 6 last night! The itchy skin was a guess but I thought of pink eye & realized that already had a name so I just had to put something. 4 of the others were instagets & the one from Ghostbusters had me second guessing myself. I haven't seen that movie in a long time.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1527
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:38 pm

Johnblue wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:14 pm
I went 6 for 6 last night! The itchy skin was a guess but I thought of pink eye & realized that already had a name so I just had to put something. 4 of the others were instagets & the one from Ghostbusters had me second guessing myself. I haven't seen that movie in a long time.
That's awesome. I got 5 because I stupidly switched Salvation Army to Goodwill, thinking it wasn't founded in the UK. Anyway, 5 was good enough for a win

I wasn't sure if I would get credit for "perfect integer" or "Stay Puff", but the algorithm was generous
coming at you like an ex-president

User avatar
Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist
Posts: 759
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:21 pm
Location: Cass County, Missouri

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Ironhorse » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:02 pm

I got all 6 for the first time. Thorsten was generous; I wasn't sure if it was perfect number or perfect integer so I just put "perfect".
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5943
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Volante » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:10 pm

Ironhorse wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:02 pm
I got all 6 for the first time. Thorsten was generous; I wasn't sure if it was perfect number or perfect integer so I just put "perfect".
By definition, a perfect number has to be an integer, so that's safe.

And for Stay PufF, unless you're spitting (or closely watching the spelling in the movie), that last 'T' gets elided easily. Aykroyd does it a couple times. So it passes on the 'sounds like' level

ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:32 am

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by ouachiouat » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:05 am

During week 1, my DE was 1.000. Now, through week 2, my overall DE is .654--and one of my opponents this week drank beer, so that drop is really from 3 days' worth of questions. I've given up 2 scores of 6 (3). One of them I won anyway, then yesterday I tied getting 5 right. Both opponents went way off their %ages in answering--I realize music notes and knowing works / musicians are quite different, but the person I played against yesterday was 6-6 in classical music and 9-11 in pop music....then missed the music note question.

I've had quite the drastic change and plummet in DE from week to week to start the season.

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2113
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by StevenH » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:52 am

My hope of making it through the season without at least one 0(0) day ended with yesterday's set. I am still slightly above the middle of the pack in my rundle by TCA, but I'm barely above the relegation zone right now. So far this might be the "unluckiest" season of my LL career.

User avatar
morbeedo
In Jeopardy! Limbo
Posts: 1527
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:51 am

MD8: I don't mind losing 6(3)-8(5) when the 2 questions I should have got right (the hemidemi. music one and homeopathy) would've only netted me 1 more point. Still early days, but I think I'll live to see another A

OTOH, my DE should really be higher this season
coming at you like an ex-president

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: John Boy, This Is Kirk! and 35 guests