LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:34 am

Got cats on a WAG and got "be naked" knowing the artist but not the quote

Missed Black Power, only familiar with Native Son and Black Boy as RW titles, fully suspecting neither really fit

NHO kibitz
coming at you like an ex-president

User avatar
badgerfellow
One and Done
Posts: 420
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 2:44 pm
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by badgerfellow » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:03 pm

"Get Naked" instead of "Be Naked", "Flower Power" instead of "Black Power" (huge miss on TOM and RTFQ). Yeah, yesterday was a tough one for me. Fortunately out of relegation zone for now. Looking forward to a rematch today with my referrer/J! opponent.

User avatar
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 3553
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:53 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Woof » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:16 pm

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:43 am
Do you think "Ziegfield" was accepted for Ziegfeld? I see PT Barnum as the MCWA, so I'm suspecting it was.

I was that close on Q1. Went with "get naked" even though it seemed ungainly to have the word "get" used twice. Not sure why I didn't think of "be naked." Oh well, still managed a tie.
I put Ziegfield and got credit. I had a 50/50 on "be nude" vs. "be naked." The former appealed to me since the Odalisque is a nude, but I went with the latter for its greater shock value (because Guerilla Girls). Anyone know if "be nude" was credited?

ETA: From the LL thread, I see that "be nude" was not credited as a correct answer

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 1309
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:53 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by MinnesotaMyron » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:34 pm

Woof wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:16 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:43 am
Do you think "Ziegfield" was accepted for Ziegfeld? I see PT Barnum as the MCWA, so I'm suspecting it was.

I was that close on Q1. Went with "get naked" even though it seemed ungainly to have the word "get" used twice. Not sure why I didn't think of "be naked." Oh well, still managed a tie.
I put Ziegfield and got credit. I had a 50/50 on "be nude" vs. "be naked." The former appealed to me since the Odalisque is a nude, but I went with the latter for its greater shock value (because Guerilla Girls). Anyone know if "be nude" was credited?

ETA: From the LL thread, I see that "be nude" was not credited as a correct answer
Nope, it sure wasn't. Exact quote I guess, but seeing how lenient he was for other Qs, I'm a smidge disgruntled.

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1352
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Canton, Michigan

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Blue Lion » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:35 pm

Woof wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:16 pm

I put Ziegfield and got credit. I had a 50/50 on "be nude" vs. "be naked." The former appealed to me since the Odalisque is a nude, but I went with the latter for its greater shock value (because Guerilla Girls). Anyone know if "be nude" was credited?

ETA: From the LL thread, I see that "be nude" was not credited as a correct answer
I wrote "get naked", which wasn't accepted. I also got dinged on the Dreamworks question because I preceded it with "SGK" instead of "SKG"--a classic case of giving too much information and paying for it.

User avatar
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler
Posts: 2435
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 12:53 am

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by ElendilPickle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:37 pm

Volante wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:34 am
Thank you Oscar Winner I've not yet seen for the win. (Ziegfeld)
I said to myself, "Oh, Busby Berkeley!" Typed it in, hit submit... gah!

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5351
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by seaborgium » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:28 pm

Volante wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:27 am
According to the LL forum, 'Ziegfield' was accepted. Note for the future, if applicable, though: J! does not accept Ziegfield.
I spelled it correctly in my response, but in my J! studies I trained myself to pronounce the second syllable like "filled," splitting the difference between "feld" and "fee-uld" ambiguously enough that I think I'd get away with it, because I don't trust myself to remember there's no i in the second syllable in the heat of competition.

A non-LL FB friend shared this yesterday. I considered the correct response, but went for "be art" instead.

User avatar
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 520
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:10 am
Location: Ottawa, ON

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by mennoknight » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:05 am

up to a .500 DE! Still in the relegation zone! When is this regression to the mean thing you guys keep talking about going to happen?
I eat chicken. That's what I do.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5737
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by alietr » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:35 am

mennoknight wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:05 am
up to a .500 DE! Still in the relegation zone! When is this regression to the mean thing you guys keep talking about going to happen?
Patience, Grasshopper.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5774
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Volante » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:12 am

First thought that popped into my mind for the Calloway song? Jitterbug. Unfortunately that was immediately followed by that blasted Wham! song, so putting more thought into it, swapped in Minnie the Moocher where I pulled out hoochie coocher. Thus, hoochie coochie! It has hooch right there! And since I couldn't place either as a title on their own, I went with the more logical choice.

Luckily the decision didn't backfire on me and I still won.

User avatar
morbeedo
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:58 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:37 am

I took a great class in college on the history of witchcraft but that was in 1990 so I wasn’t getting Malleus Maleficarum yesterday
coming at you like an ex-president

User avatar
boson
Trivial
Posts: 1336
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by boson » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:40 am

morbeedo wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:37 am
I took a great class in college on the history of witchcraft but that was in 1990 so I wasn’t getting Malleus Maleficarum yesterday
I made a classic defensive mistake: I couldn't come up with even a plausible guess, but in hindsight I was searching for the name Necronomicon. I figured it was something relatively easy - referred to in fantasy and horror stories - that I just couldn't recall. It wasn't. I should have assigned it 3 points, and lost to patkav with us both getting 4 correct.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 5351
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by seaborgium » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:56 am

On the Barnaby Joyce question, I didn't know, and I figured my not knowing was a strong indicator it wasn't the UK. I thought Ireland would be too obvious a guess given the surname, and I thought it would be lame to guess Australia given an English name that I assumed wasn't an English person. So I figured Joyce was stepping down along with Jacob Zuma, and guessed South Africa. If I had gone with Australia, it would have saved me a tie in both my public and private matches.

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 312
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by 1stlvlthinker » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:07 am

1stlvlthinker wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:06 am
My first non-rookie rundle was in E. At times, I figured I lose, but occasionally, my opponent would score 0 or 1, giving me the win. For example, in the first 5 Match Days of LL 73, my opponents got collectively 3 questions right.

In LL76, I'm now back in E again, but this time in 5 match days, my opponents have collectively gotten 19 questions right, and I'm sitting at 2-3 despite the top TCA in my rundle and a slightly above average DE of .714. :cry:
Welp, E rundle is getting back to normal now. Since I posted this, I've gotten gotten 16 questions right in 6 match days, but my opponents have collectively gotten 11, and I'm on a 6 game winning streak and back in the promotion zone. Now we have to see if it holds. Still have the most TCA and CAA in the rundle, DE has gotten better to .750.
Won some of Ben Stein's money. None of Alex Trebek's

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1352
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Canton, Michigan

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Blue Lion » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:16 am

Volante wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:12 am
First thought that popped into my mind for the Calloway song? Jitterbug. Unfortunately that was immediately followed by that blasted Wham! song, so putting more thought into it, swapped in Minnie the Moocher where I pulled out hoochie coocher. Thus, hoochie coochie! It has hooch right there! And since I couldn't place either as a title on their own, I went with the more logical choice.

Luckily the decision didn't backfire on me and I still won.
I went with "Moocher" because I immediately thought of Cab Calloway's performance in "The Blues Brothers". That didn't cost me the match last night: poor defense did.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 7463
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by econgator » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:48 am

seaborgium wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:56 am
I thought Ireland would be too obvious a guess given the surname
I was about to go with Ireland, but with the Irish harp in the previous question, I figured it was unlikely.

User avatar
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material
Posts: 2073
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by StevenH » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:32 pm

I was debating between Australia and New Zealand on the Prime Minister question...and went with New Zealand. I still won, but it would have been nice to score a 3-pointer in my worst category.

User avatar
Vermonter
2003 College Champion
Posts: 1899
Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:57 pm

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by Vermonter » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:25 pm

I lost 6(5)-9(6) on Friday, but my one wrong answer got me my first BWA nomination, so I'm calling it a win:

8 SIMPLE RULES FOR BURNING MY HERETIC DAUGHTER
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4062
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by This Is Kirk! » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:30 pm

Vermonter wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:25 pm
I lost 6(5)-9(6) on Friday, but my one wrong answer got me my first BWA nomination, so I'm calling it a win:

8 SIMPLE RULES FOR BURNING MY HERETIC DAUGHTER
Not bad at all! :lol:

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4241
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: LearnedLeague 76 - Official Thread

Post by jeff6286 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:09 pm

seaborgium wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:56 am
On the Barnaby Joyce question, I didn't know, and I figured my not knowing was a strong indicator it wasn't the UK. I thought Ireland would be too obvious a guess given the surname, and I thought it would be lame to guess Australia given an English name that I assumed wasn't an English person. So I figured Joyce was stepping down along with Jacob Zuma, and guessed South Africa. If I had gone with Australia, it would have saved me a tie in both my public and private matches.
Ireland and South Africa both have a president, not a prime minister. This left me choosing from Australia, New Zealand, and (less likely), Canada. I made the right call this time

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bigblue999, Majestic-12 [Bot], ouachiouat, rapedDep and 40 guests