Friday, February 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7700, 2018-02-16

Rob Worman game 3.

CONTESTANTS
Vinay Kadiyala, a resident physician from Albany, New York
Gianna Durso-Finley, an executive director of an educational foundation from Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Rob Worman, an escalation manager from Edina, Minnesota (whose 2-day cash winnings total $21,499)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Folks, on yesterday's program, you had a perfect example in Final Jeopardy! of three talented players who out-thought, out-smarted themselves in the Final. They didn't go with the obvious response that came to them immediately. They weren't able to come up with "samurai". But let's hope that today is different. You all get the Final Jeopardy! right. Vinay and Gianna, good to have you here. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round begins now with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AT THE COMO PARK ZOO (5/5) (Alex: In Saint Paul, Minnesota.)
TAKE A LETTER (5/5)
STATES' HIGHEST POINTS (3/5)
REALITY TV SHOWS (1/1)
EPONYMOUS BRANDS (5/5)
TITLE TITLES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rob: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Vinay: 8 R, 1 W
Gianna: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Vinay: $3,600
Gianna: $3,000
Rob: $2,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Vinay Kadiyala is from Albany, New York. He's a physician. We have a category here that takes us to Minnesota and the zoo. Some moments can be scary at zoos. You spent a lot of time at a world-famous zoo. I wanna hear about that.

Vinay: So I was in Singapore; I went to the Singapore Zoo. They have a nighttime experience, and they had me spend half an hour in the bat enclosure with these giant Indonesian flying foxes and all sorts of roosting bats right above the ceiling. Pretty dark room.

Alex: Scary?

Vinay: Yeah.

Alex: Gianna Durso-Finley is from New Jersey.

Gianna: Yes.

Alex: You and your husband were once world heavyweight champions? You don't look that big or strong. What are we talking about here?

Gianna: Well, you can't tell on TV, but I'm about 5 feet tall in heels, and my husband's about 6'5".

Alex: Ah.

Gianna: So we entered the North American Wife Carrying Championships.

Alex: Ah.

Gianna: In the heavyweight division.

Alex: Really?

Gianna: Yes.

Alex: Won it?

Gianna: We did. We did not get to go to Helsinki to defend our title at the Worlds, but--

Alex: Why not?

Gianna: Maybe sometime when we're in the master's category.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Rob Worman is our champion. He's won some money on the program, and he knows exactly what part of it is going to towards: a new hammock. Why?

Rob: Well, it was one of the last nice days of the fall, and we have this huge hammock, wooden frame. About as big as all these podiums together. And my wife Shoshana, she's in the audience, was on it, and my daughter was on it, and I got on it too. And it's big enough for that, no problem. And then up comes my 50-pound golden retriever, Honey, who is determined to get on it too, and so she hops on, and then the whole frame just collapses. We're all on the ground, laughing or groaning, because I hit my knee.

Alex: Let me just say one thing. The SPCA is not happy that you blamed it on your dog.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rob found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Rob had $2,200, Gianna had $3,000, and Vinay was at $2,800. Rob made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,200.

TITLE TITLES $600: "Vlad the Impaler: The Real ____ ____"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
STATES' HIGHEST POINTS $800: Cheaha Mountain in the Talladega National Forest
(Vinay: What is Georgia?)
(Rob: What is North Carolina?)

STATES' HIGHEST POINTS $1000: Black Mesa in Cimarron County

TITLE TITLES $400: "Pericles, ____ of Tyre"
(Alex: Less than a minute to go.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rob: $5,400
Gianna: $4,400
Vinay: $3,200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ART & RELIGION (3/5)
FILM SIDEKICKS (3/4) (Alex: You give us the character that they chum around with.)
TRAVEL EURASIA (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IN A HALL OF FAME (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AMERICAN HISTORY (4/5)
ENDS IN "ELLA" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Vinay: 14 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Rob: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Gianna: 1 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Vinay snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Rob had $5,400, Gianna had $4,400, and Vinay was at $7,200. Vinay wagered $2,500.

TRAVEL EURASIA $1600: The dunes of Echoing Sand Mountain near Dunhuang, China are best traveled riding this, luotuo in Chinese
(Vinay: [*]? ...What is [*]?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rob who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Rob had $10,200, Gianna had $4,400, and Vinay was at $11,700. Rob wagered $2,000.

IN A HALL OF FAME $1200: In 2011 both the Wiggles & Kylie Minogue were inducted into this country's Recording Industry Hall of Fame

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AMERICAN HISTORY $800: 1971 events at this prison east of Buffalo were one of the bloodiest clashes between Americans in the 20th century
(Alex: [*]. [*]! Oh, that's a movie.)

FILM SIDEKICKS $1600: Brick Tamland & Brian Fantana

ENDS IN "ELLA" $1200: First name of the woman seen here; her website offers delicious recipes
(Gianna: What is Gabriella?)

ART & RELIGION $2000: Here's the writing on the wall--Rembrandt painted Belshazzar's feast from chapter 5 of this Biblical book

ART & RELIGION $1600: Guido di Pietro took his name Giovanni da Fiesole when he became a friar in 1423, but as an artist he's known by this name

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Vinay: $19,700
Rob: $17,800
Gianna: $4,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FICTIONAL PLACES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Vinay: Wager $15,901 to cover Rob. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $7,901.
Rob: Your score is within 4/5ths of Vinay's, so wager between $3,801 (venusian) and $9,799 (martian), beating Vinay's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Gianna's part.
Gianna: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Rob, but if Rob decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Some residents of the place with this name came from Kensington Gardens, where they had fallen out of their perambulators

FINAL SCORES
Gianna: $4,000 + $100 = $4,100 (What is Never Never Land?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Rob: $17,800 + $15,000 = $32,800 (What is Never never land) (3-day champion: $54,299)
Vinay: $19,700 - $5,300 = $14,400 (What is the infirmary? P.S. Thanks Kristi!) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: [To Vinay] P.S.?)
(Vinay: Thanks Kristi.)
(Alex: Ah, okay.)
(Vinay: Took my shift for me.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Vinay: $18,800, 22 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Rob: $15,400, 17 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W
Gianna: $4,000, 7 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $38,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Vinay: 22/59 = .373
Rob: 18/60 = .300
Gianna: 8/58 = .138
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AT THE COMO PARK ZOO $600: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from the Como Park Zoo.) Like other baby giraffes, Violet, who's 5 weeks old, was close to 6 feet tall when she was born, and her spot pattern is as unique to her as these impressions are to humans

AT THE COMO PARK ZOO $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from the Como Park Zoo.) It's a symbol of good luck, but luck may have run out for the Panamanian golden frog, likely extinct in the wild due to pollutants, forest clearing & a deadly skin disease caused by this type of organism related to molds & mushrooms

AT THE COMO PARK ZOO $1000: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from the Como Park Zoo.) Contrary to what the movies portray, humans are rarely attacked by this giant water boa that thrives in the Amazon & Orinoco river basins & can grow up to 30 feet long

EPONYMOUS BRANDS $800: British pottery maker Josiah, of this last name, was an abolitionist who produced a popular anti-slavery image

AT THE COMO PARK ZOO $200: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from the Como Park Zoo.) While endangered, it's hard to estimate how many snow leopards are left in the wild, because they inhabit such remote regions of Asia; however, some have been spotted & may be making a comeback on this highest mountain from which they disappeared decades ago

AT THE COMO PARK ZOO $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents from the Como Park Zoo.) Because of global warming & the reduction of sea ice in the Arctic, scientists predict that polar bears could go extinct by the year 2100; today it's estimated that there are only 20 to 25,000 of the bears left in the wild, with 60% of them inhabiting this country

REALITY TV SHOWS $200: In 2017 Emmy voters hit the button, spun around & chose this as the best reality competition show
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRAVEL EURASIA $800: Visiting this city? The Rumelihisari fortress at the narrowest part of the Bosphorus is open to the public

TRAVEL EURASIA $2000: In the 12th century this French region produced perhaps the most powerful woman in Europe; today, it produces Dordogne walnuts
(Alex: Reference to Eleanor of [*].)

AMERICAN HISTORY $1600: Interior Secretary Albert Bacon Fall was convicted of bribery in leasing out oil reserves in Elk Hills, Buena Vista & this site

ART & RELIGION $400: Albrecht Dürer's "Praying Hands" is actually called "Hands of" one of these disciples of Jesus

ART & RELIGION $800: This art of beautiful handwriting is seen in the Book of Kells as well as much Islamic art
(Alex: With less than a minute to go now.)

ART & RELIGION $1200: Here's a sculpture of this Hindu deity breaking his tusk to throw at the moon

FILM SIDEKICKS $800: Meriadoc Brandybuck & Peregrin Took
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Count Dracula
Alabama
Oklahoma
Prince of Tyre
a camel
Australia
Attica
Ron Burgundy
Nigella Lawson
Daniel
Fra Angelico
Never Never Land
fingerprints
a fungus
an anaconda
Wedgwood
Mount Everest
Canada
The Voice
Istanbul
Aquitaine
the Teapot Dome
apostle
calligraphy
Ganesh
Frodo
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FICTIONAL PLACES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Some residents of the place with this name came from Kensington Gardens, where they had fallen out of their perambulators

Rob Worman: 17800+15000=32800 (3x = $54,299)
Gianna Durso-Finley: 4000+100=4100
Vinay Kadiyala: 19700-5300=14400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Never Never Land or Neverland or Never Land (Vinay – infirmary with a Thanks Kristi! She took Vinay’s shift for him)

Daily Doubles
Rob: 2200+2200
Vinay: 7200+2500
Rob: 10200+2000

Coryats
Rob: 15400
Gianna: 4000
Vinay: 18800

Combined: 38,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Rob: 5400
Gianna: 4400
Vinay: 3200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Rob: DD1 set the table for you and Alex to have a Draccent-off as I know the host would have followed suit if you had done it.

Only one of five clues played in REALITY TV SHOWS? I feel like my Coryat was deprived of 2800.

I found a blog post Vinay made in October 2012: http://vinaykadiyala.blogspot.com/2012/ ... raphy.html

That included this interesting passage:

In addition to my passion for medicine, I have many other interests and hobbies. I am a huge trivia buff. This November will mark the third time that I have successfully passed the online test and have been selected for a national audition to appear on the Jeopardy television show. In high school, I was the captain of my school’s quiz bowl team, and I can spend hours just taking quizzes on Sporcle.

The years of prep paid off with a strong showing.

The FJ! clue led me to one place to guess. I did not know it cold while having nothing better made it the only option.

It does not matter today, but if Rob wins on Monday, loses on Tuesday and down the road money matters for 4x champs making the TOC then the wager for DD3 can be revisited as Rob had a chance to take the show for about $7,000 more by having the lead for the FJ! round.

If Vinay had solved the FJ! clue then DD3’s wager would have really mattered.

Rob: Well done to make it to a new taping day and the honor of “The Returning Champ” for the new players in the pool to observe.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

oof that bet was a lot riskier than I intended. In the pressure of the moment I made zero consideration for the risk of 3rd place catching me.

good thing I knew it so my mistake paid off!
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

They both put "Never Never Land". "Neverland" would have been accepted, of course, but I wonder if one is technically more right than the other?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:25 pm They both put "Never Never Land". "Neverland" would have been accepted, of course, but I wonder if one is technically more right than the other?
The clue does not cite a specific work and Wikipedia article adds even more variations that would have to fly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverland

Since Wikipedia (the leading authority, right?) has it under "Neverland" that has to be the best response?

We'll check in with Hammer.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,800
41 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Alabama, Prince, Attica, Ron Burgundy, Nigella

I had little confidence in my FJ! response, but I remembered some kind of connection between Kensington Gardens and J.M. Barrie/Peter Pan, so that was enough. I didn't get the significance of "perambulator," thinking that it might refer to a wheelchair. Turns out it's a British term for a baby carriage.

I have never before heard of a connection between China and camels.

Jimmy, on snow leopards: "some have been spotted..." No, silly, they're all spotted!
Sprinkles are for winners.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

LT: Alabama, Ron Burgundy, Daniel

FJ: Went with Pooh Corner just for the sake of putting something down.

I really liked Vinay but generally I always have to root for a boardie.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:38 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:25 pm They both put "Never Never Land". "Neverland" would have been accepted, of course, but I wonder if one is technically more right than the other?
The clue does not cite a specific work and Wikipedia article adds even more variations that would have to fly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverland

Since Wikipedia (the leading authority, right?) has it under "Neverland" that has to be the best response?
My son got into it with his first grade teacher over this controversial issue, and, as a result, she had it in for him the rest of the school year. As a purist, he insisted on "Neverland," while she used "Never Never Land," which we assumed she picked up from the Broadway musical. And, yep, since FJ didn't specify, they'd have to accept just about any variation. Except "Neverland Ranch."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran the Letter category.

Eponymous Brands, however, I got only Walgreen. Overthought the vacuum guy at $200 and guessed Oreck.

Strangely, had no idea on $200 in Animals, and negged with Antarctica for Canada at $400, but had the next three with ease.

WHY DO I ALWAYS PICK THE WRONG DAKOTA FOR EVERYTHING DSAFKLDSFKJSDLFAJ

I had no idea where to even start on this one. "Kensington Gardens" meant nothing to me, and I have no idea what a "perambulator" even is.

Lach Trash: Alabama
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:28 pm I have no idea what a "perambulator" even is.
A baby buggy.

Not that it helped me in the slightest.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I had just "Neverland" and was worried until I read the wikipedia, but this concluded a very rare 5/5 FJ week for me.

Usually I want to see all clues from all the categories, but I wasn't too sad that the Reality Show category got cut off, as I didn't get the first one right.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:18 pm Only one of five clues played in REALITY TV SHOWS? I feel like my Coryat was deprived of 2800.
GRRRRRR. The amount of clues left on the board this week has been aggravating, but this was more free money down the drain. RIP.

John _. Calhoun, a bottom row clue? Daniel, a TS? (Heathens, all of you ;) ) Pericles, ______ of Tyre, a TS? And none of them knew were Talladega is. If any of them know any Shakespeare or NASCAR fans, they'll never hear the end of it :lol:

If I've seen the word 'perambulator' before, I don't remember. Sure as hell couldn't guess what it was (my best WAG was a wheelchair :oops: ). So, Kensington Gardens is in England...British + fictional place + doesn't sound like it's describing Wonderland? Let's try Neverland. Whew.

Congrats on #3, Rob! 5 demerits for the wager :lol:
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I really, really, really enjoyed this board, and I don't think that I ever remember feeling like there were this many YKIOYD style clues in one game...Springfield, House of Burgesses, Aquitaine, etc. I didn't think that it was an overly hard board, either, so it made for a great game.

I also really enjoyed watching Vinay. He had some really good gets.

I had no idea on FJ. Narnia was my precall, and I considered it when I saw the clue, but I went with Oz. I never would have thought of Neverland.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

igetfj46r :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Even knowing Kensington Gardens and the meaning of perambulator, I couldn't come up with anything. For 30 seconds, tried to force that info into something related to Oliver Twist.

Lots of unseen clues. So many ads these days. They're even running ads in the middle of clues now - big sponsorship blocks partially obscuring the clue itself. I guess I need to accept it, even though this is probably a symptom of the slow death of ad-based broadcasting.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Rob, they're lecterns, not podiums, damnit. There. Someone had to say it.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Being an Aficionado of polar bears, it was great fun to see the polar bear swimming at the Saint Paul zoo in tonight's Jeopardy round. But I don't think you know the horrible history of polar bears at that Zoo.

The Polar Bear exhibit sat empty for many years after
Spoiler
the two polar bears there were stoned to death in 1979
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.