Friday, February 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, February 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by mxc_takeshi »

32 right.

Como Park Zoo (2), Letter (4), States (4), Reality TV (1), Eponymous (0), Titles (2)

Art & Religion (0), Film Sidekicks (4), Eurasia (5), Hall of Fame (3), American History (4), Ends in "ELLA" (3)

Lach Trash: Alabama, Attica, Ron Burgundy

My only guess was Xanadu; I didn't know what a perambulator was either (until looking it up afterwards and seeing it here.) However, knowing it beforehand wouldn't have helped me anyway.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

42 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Alabama, Prince, Ron Burgundy, Nigella, Daniel, Fra Angelico

Ran Art and Religion.

Other of my gets include Aquitaine and Varicella.

Knew there was another famous prison in New York other than Sing Sing, but forgot the name.
Douglas Squasoni
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:56 pm Rob, they're lecterns, not podiums, damnit. There. Someone had to say it.
so true, and of course I knew it at the time too.
an egregious slip.

I will never do it again! ;)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:18 pm Only one of five clues played in REALITY TV SHOWS? I feel like my Coryat was deprived of 2800.
I didn't even know that one, so I was just fine with leaving the others unrevealed. :)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:18 pm If Vinay had solved the FJ! clue then DD3’s wager would have really mattered.
Not so much, given the FJ wagers.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 22, W: 5, costing 3000
Coryat: 13,800
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: 2/3
LT: Daniel

Congrats to Rob for finally getting a big win, and doing so in an impressive way. I am a fan of the gutsier DD wagers, particularly in the J! round.

J! was OK for me. Missed what they were asking for in the top box of the zoo category. The wall of words coming out with nothing to read got in the way. At least I stayed clam and didn't make some wild guess. I was perfect in the Reality TV category! They asked for one of the few shows I know of. The pre-call I was going to wait for was one of the Real Housewives shows. But even that would have to be a clam if they didn't tell me which coast to go with. Names alone would be useless to me.

My DJ round was a disaster. Went backwards in Eurasia and US History. Only got a couple other clues right.

On the FJ reveal, I started to worry that I was going to be painfully close with Neverland. But the consensus here is that response is good (and perhaps technically more correct). I wouldn't be able to show my face at home if I missed something with a Disney connection. (Although I should have considered the double "never", because in the Storybook boat ride they always refer to it as Never Never Land - because the boats never never go there. Although they really DO go there, since that is the path backstage where the boats are maintained.)

FJ Wagering: Vinay would normally wager 15,901 to protect from a double by Rob. But if he misses, that wager will leave him with 3800. Gianna should wager less than 200 to stay above that number, which she did. Because of that Rob doesn't need to worry about her ending with more than 4200. So his wager should be no more than 13,600. Painfully for Vinay, had he gotten the question correct, he didn't wager enough to stay ahead of Rob and still would have finished in 2nd place.

So I finish the week 3/5 in FJ, but with rotten coryat scores.
--Peter
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Perambulator is often shortened to pram. I don't know if that would be more helpful to people knowing what that word means.

I was way off with my guess here, and it's pretty funny.

First thought was of Paddington Bear, but I didn't know any fictional places associated with him. That went to Winnie the Pooh, but I am not familiar with any of those characters being thrown from a stroller. That train of thought, though, lead me to other toys--the Island of Misfit Toys! I could see them being thrown from a stroller maybe after being rejected by a child. It didn't feel right, but I couldn't think of anything else, so I had to go with it.
RobW

Post by RobW »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:43 pm Painfully for Vinay, had he gotten the question correct, he didn't wager enough to stay ahead of Rob and still would have finished in 2nd place.
and the irony in your hypothetical triple-get would've been that I studied wagering theory so damn hard that I would've been mad at myself for a win that wasn't "supposed" to happen!
:lol:
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

It's great having a boardie on the show, but it's too bad these good players are one and done. It just increases my disdain for the paltry 2nd/3rd place prizes. Pay these contestant's expenses dammit!

I thought a location involving children might have something to do with Lord of the Flies, which is a favorite of the writers. But I don't know the work, and didn't like Wonderland (no other human children there to speak of) so I WAGed Hogwarts just because it was a fictional place. I knew a perambulator is usually called a pram but wasn't getting to neverland from this angle, or any other without a direct reference to Peter Pan. Peter Pan is definitely the worst children's story ever and comparable to Vogon poetry :P

Too bad Opus missed the handwriting clue (the episode, not the clue). My Dad used to quote the Aramaic (or whatever?) version. As an aside from the book of Daniel, I think that Shadrach, Meshack and Abednego must have had the best PR agents in the whole Bible considering their minor, obscure roles. But then, Crispus Attucks had a great agent too :lol:

Way to go Rob! At this point, you must have been feeling like you were in an exhausting dream.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Interesting to me so many here seem to have gone right to "Neverland" rather than "Wonderland." Seemed like a coin toss to me and I picked wrong.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:19 pm Interesting to me so many here seem to have gone right to "Neverland" rather than "Wonderland." Seemed like a coin toss to me and I picked wrong.
Ditto.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:19 pm Interesting to me so many here seem to have gone right to "Neverland" rather than "Wonderland." Seemed like a coin toss to me and I picked wrong.
Another Wonderland here. Perhaps if I had seen the movie about J M Barrie...
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

If you know the story of Peter Pan, and not just the Disney animated movie which doesn’t mention it, you would know that the lost boys got to Neverland by falling out of strollers.
--Peter
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

harrumph wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:33 pm
Another Wonderland here. Perhaps if I had seen the movie about J M Barrie...
The British TOM made me think about it but I've read both (at least the two main ones if there are more) books and can think of no child characters (Tweedledum / dee?) so I chose to fail elsewhere.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

tiwonge wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:49 pm Perambulator is often shortened to pram. I don't know if that would be more helpful to people knowing what that word means.

I was way off with my guess here, and it's pretty funny.

First thought was of Paddington Bear, but I didn't know any fictional places associated with him. That went to Winnie the Pooh, but I am not familiar with any of those characters being thrown from a stroller. That train of thought, though, lead me to other toys--the Island of Misfit Toys! I could see them being thrown from a stroller maybe after being rejected by a child. It didn't feel right, but I couldn't think of anything else, so I had to go with it.
For those still trying to picture it, a perambulator, from Barrie's era, would have looked something like
Image or Image

For TPH: the name comes from perambulate, which means to walk around.

Modern prams are more like this Image

A stroller, though, in Britspeak is called a pushchair or a baby's buggy, and this would be a more expensive type: Image
RobW

Post by RobW »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:06 pm Way to go Rob! At this point, you must have been feeling like you were in an exhausting dream.
Dream-like? Absolutely!
Exhausting? Just the opposite. I remember feeling like I could’ve taped five more that day. :)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

If you don't know what a perambulator is then this is literally impossible.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:35 am If you don't know what a perambulator is then this is literally impossible.
I mean, you have "Fake place" and "England" so even if you don't have any other pieces of information you could narrow things down to some famous fictional lands created by Brits like:

Wonderland, Neverland, Middle Earth, Narnia, Hogwarts (and maybe Lilliput, but that's Ireland).

a 1 in 5 random guess doesn't seem so bad if you don't know perambulator.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:35 am If you don't know what a perambulator is then this is literally impossible.
Really? I thought that was the least useful part of the entire clue.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Okay, I just read this FJ to my middle-school-aged son, and he was fuzzy about "perambulator." (Maybe he thought it was a walking Mecha-monster from Doctor Who. Nah, just kidding.) I showed him the pictures that CailinGaoilge kindly posted, and that did the trick--"Oh, Neverland!"

Congrats, Rob! Ya did it neatly as promised!