FJs for the 2/12/18 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 2/12/18 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:49 pm

A 2007 headline said after being ridiculed since the 1950s, it "takes its victory lap" & noted the auction of one for $184,000
73%
In 2017 the Bel-Air estate used in this '60s TV show was listed for $350 million
79%
The title of this dance hit, No. 1 for 14 weeks in the ’90s, can refer to a Seville, Spain neighborhood or a woman from there
91%
Though it means “one who serves”, in medieval Japan it was a property holder who received rent from serfs
47%
Some residents of the place with this name came from Kensington Gardens, where they had fallen out of their perambulators
43%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
16%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
WORLD WAR I LITERATURE $1600: Roald Dahl wrote, "Constant twitching & jerking & snorting" were all signs of this alliterative disorder
52%
OLD NAMES ON THE MAP $2000: Prior to 1925 this world capital was known as Kristiania
52%
AMERICAN BOOKS & AUTHORS $2000: The title character of this Edith Wharton novel is in love with Mattie Silver, his wife’s cousin
38%
I guessed the wrong car for the Monday FJ! clue.
9%
I have seen at least one episode of "The Beverly Hillbillies."
66%
Shogun was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
34%
Wonderland was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
5%
I knew "perambulators" in the Friday FJ! clue's wording were baby carriages.
59%
I was not familiar with the term "perambulators" in the Friday FJ! clue's wording.
33%

Total votes: 128

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 2/12/18 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

2/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN BUSINESS

2/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 2007 headline said after being ridiculed since the 1950s, it "takes its victory lap" & noted the auction of one for $184,000

2/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC TV HOMES

2/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 2017 the Bel-Air estate used in this '60s TV show was listed for $350 million

2/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HIT SONGS OF THE '90s

2/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The title of this dance hit, No. 1 for 14 weeks in the ’90s, can refer to a Seville, Spain neighborhood or a woman from there

2/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEDIEVAL ASIA

2/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Though it means “one who serves”, in medieval Japan it was a property holder who received rent from serfs

2/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FICTIONAL PLACES

2/16 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Some residents of the place with this name came from Kensington Gardens, where they had fallen out of their perambulators

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Edsel
The Beverly Hillbillies
"Macarena"
samurai
Neverland (or Never Never Land or Never Land)
The players were 8/15 (53.33%) with a 1-2-3-0-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have a requested missed Daily Double followed by one correct by the players and a triple stumper.

WORLD WAR I LITERATURE $1600: Roald Dahl wrote, "Constant twitching & jerking & snorting" were all signs of this alliterative disorder

OLD NAMES ON THE MAP $2000: Prior to 1925 this world capital was known as Kristiania

AMERICAN BOOKS & AUTHORS $2000: The title character of this Edith Wharton novel is in love with Mattie Silver, his wife’s cousin

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
shell shock
Oslo
Ethan Frome
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: FJs for the 2/12/18 week

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:(  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Not a fan, but yes have seen The Beverly Hillbillies.
Shogun
did perambulators to prams to baby buggies

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Goose egg #47,389.
davey

Post by davey »

It seems like many had a mental block on "samurai" this week - Alex even claimed as much for the contestants. That was certainly what happened in my case -"shogun" seemed to block out the better response... :roll:
It's probably been 4 decades since I've seen an episode of TBH - unlike many things from my childhood, I have no desire to revisit it...
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(

:mrgreen: :( :(

Corvette on Monday, shogun on Thursday, Pooh Corner on Friday.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Almost considered Batman (“stately Wayne Manor”) on Tuesday
Have seen many episodes of The Beverley Hillbillies, a long time ago
Familiar with perambulators, sort of surprised boardies would not know the term.

Read Ethan Frome in high school, which is far too many years ago to remember anything about it.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :( :(

Daimyo; of the three I considered, samurai was the one I thought was least likely.
Have never seen The Beverly Hillbillies, but I think I have an MP3 of the theme song.
Unfamiliar with "perambulator."
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mon - Pinto
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

Mon: car guy instaget
Tues: shall I recite the opening and closing theme songs for you?
Wed: got hung up on the Spanish, missed the dance song part of the clue
Thur: in the shogun camp
Fri: was writing before Alex finished reading
--Peter
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Macarena is only 88% right now? I don't remember anyone else in the thread saying they missed it...
BobF

Post by BobF »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:57 pm Goose egg #47,389.
Damn, you must be old. Considering 52 weeks per year, you've got to be about 900 years old. Should I start calling you Methuselah?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Leander wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:12 pm Read Ethan Frome in high school, which is far too many years ago to remember anything about it.
I find all these novels that are titled with old-timey names difficult to differentiate. Silas Marner, Ethan Frome, Elmer Gantry, etc.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I never read Ethan Frome, but I saw the Liam Neeson movie years ago. Does anyone else recall that Linus Van Pelt argued his way out of an Ethan Frome book report because of the mature subject matter?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:15 pm Macarena is only 88% right now? I don't remember anyone else in the thread saying they missed it...
You and the accountant are the two on the J! Board that have posted missing the clue. The other three are within their rights to vote without sharing their results. All five of you so far can find comfort in that it's below 90% and no one person is alone with the fail.

Any music clue you miss will always give you company as no matter the group, song, or era, it will be outside someone's comfort zone. Even if the clue is about "Happy Birthday" or "Mary Had a Little Lamb" the clue would have some way to trip up some folks.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Pulled down my fifth five for five of the season after a terrible two get last week.
All instagets.
Pretty sure I would have gotten "shell shock" if that Roald Dahl blather wasn't included.
Couldn't remember which of the three Scandinavian capitals had once been Kristiania.
Ethan Frome = Edith Wharton is a pairing I can't seem to retain even though it's on my list of shorter novels/novellas to read but haven't gotten to yet.
I have seen way too many episodes of the Beverly Hillbillies, possibly the worst long running tv series alongside such contenders as Two and A Half Men and Family Guy.
I'm very familiar with "perambulator" thanks to its shortened form "pram" showing up in many British tv shows and songs.

I was twenty one years when I wrote this song
I'm twenty two now, but I won't be for long
People ask when will you grow up to be a man
But all the girls I loved at school
Are already pushing prams
- Billy Bragg's "New England"
I would prefer not to.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

4/5 on FJ is a bit misleading - Edsel and TBH were instagets, but samurai was a tossup with shogun, and Macarena was a guess because I couldn't think of any other '90s dance craze.

I knew perambulator cold, but for Kensington Gardens I couldn't get the classic Infocom interactive fiction game "Trinity" out of my mind; it begins in Kensington Gardens, and there are lots of perambulators there too. So no chance at Neverland.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Monday: Oldsmobile
Tuesday: I Dream of Genie
Friday: No answer.
Douglas Squasoni
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:57 pm Goose egg #47,389.
The rest of us on J!Board should collect our best omelette recipes in a cookbook and present it to TPH. At least then he'd be getting some protein, a couple of vitamins, and a few minerals to enjoy while watching J!
FOTS
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by FOTS »

I have a question about Friday's final jeopardy. My guess was "Neverland". I am curious as to whether that would have been acceptable or not. My first instinct would be that it would since its more commonly published that way and still refers to the same place. Unfortunately nobody on the show guessed "Neverland" so I can't say for sure. What do you guys think?