Term for getting all clues in a horizontal row?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

heppm01
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Term for getting all clues in a horizontal row?

Post by heppm01 »

dhkendall had the following buried in another post, and I thought it interesting enough to devote a thread to it. After all, we do love our jargon.
dhkendall wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:01 pm The three clues left on the board deprived me of three "horizontal runs" (that is, getting all the clues of a specific dollar value correct on the board). (While I've been noting category runs, as many of you do, I also have been noting "horizontal runs" (board hive mind: can someone come up with a better name?) as another good way of testing skill level. As the six clues that share a dollar value are always of different subject matter, a horizontal run shows mastery at that level of different types of trivia. I hope this concept catches on on the board.)
"Horizontal run", while descriptive, is a little clunky. Dollar Run? Dollar Streak?
MarkBarrett

Re: Term for getting all clues in a horizontal row?

Post by MarkBarrett »

heppm01 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:25 pm dhkendall had the following buried in another post, and I thought it interesting enough to devote a thread to it. After all, we do love our jargon.
dhkendall wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:01 pm The three clues left on the board deprived me of three "horizontal runs" (that is, getting all the clues of a specific dollar value correct on the board). (While I've been noting category runs, as many of you do, I also have been noting "horizontal runs" (board hive mind: can someone come up with a better name?) as another good way of testing skill level. As the six clues that share a dollar value are always of different subject matter, a horizontal run shows mastery at that level of different types of trivia. I hope this concept catches on on the board.)
"Horizontal run", while descriptive, is a little clunky. Dollar Run? Dollar Streak?
If that is clunky then I'm sure longitudinal or latitudinal (whichever one goes which way) are worse. Row sweep? Left to Right? LR? Numbers such as $200x6. Six-Pack? Sixer? Six-Spot?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Unless they do it one right after the other, six clues in a row, left to right, I don't feel like it merits specific terminology. Same way you shouldn't get applause unless you sweep a full category 1-2-3-4-5.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:55 pm Unless they do it one right after the other, six clues in a row, left to right, I don't feel like it merits specific terminology. Same way you shouldn't get applause unless you sweep a full category 1-2-3-4-5.
agreed, but I love the idea too!
quick let’s coin it just in case I did it today! :D

so far I like six-pack.

sideswipe?
line drive?
horizontal sweep?
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

RobW wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:58 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:55 pm Unless they do it one right after the other, six clues in a row, left to right, I don't feel like it merits specific terminology. Same way you shouldn't get applause unless you sweep a full category 1-2-3-4-5.

so far I like six-pack.

sideswipe?
line drive?
horizontal sweep?
I was only considering this a home player type of brag and nothing to do with the TV contestants. Yes, well done by any player that does it once the board is complete and the pattern is seen while I agree no term needed.

If a player happened to open a round and go in order across a set of clue values and get all six then sure we could acknowledge it. When in the history of Hill Valley has that happened?

If DHK wants to post he had three 6-packs ($200, $400 & $400) then nice job by him and I don't care one way or another if someone posts about such feats. I might do it if I have all the $2000 clues and it probably happens less than once a season for me in regular play.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

so far I like six-pack.

sideswipe?
line drive?
horizontal sweep?
Sideswipe. Without question. If there's gonna be a word, that's the one. Well played.

"I sideswiped the $1600 row in Double Jeopardy."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:09 pm

so far I like six-pack.

sideswipe?
line drive?
horizontal sweep?
Sideswipe. Without question. If there's gonna be a word, that's the one. Well played.

"I sideswiped the $1600 row in Double Jeopardy."
Works for me, I like it, although with that clue value the "Double Jeopardy" is not needed. We can have the HammerSwipe which is getting all six top box clues. The SuperSwipe is the six $200 clues as well as the the $400 clues in the DJ! round. The Mega12 is all the $1000 and all the $2000 clues.

There can also be the so what, who cares, "I missed a sideswipe of the $1600 clues by not knowing ____."
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:23 pmWe can have the HammerSwipe which is getting all six top box clues. The SuperSwipe is the six $200 clues as well as the the $400 clues in the DJ! round. The Mega12 is all the $1000 and all the $2000 clues.

There can also be the so what, who cares, "I missed a sideswipe of the $1600 clues by not knowing ____."
That also lends itself to "swipe right" - getting all the clues in a row, and "swipe left" - missing them all. ;)

"That was a tough board. I swiped left on $400 and $600."
--Peter
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

(Thanks to heppm01, btw, for giving this thread the attention it deserves)
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:08 pm

so far I like six-pack.

sideswipe?
line drive?
horizontal sweep?
I was only considering this a home player type of brag and nothing to do with the TV contestants. Yes, well done by any player that does it once the board is complete and the pattern is seen while I agree no term needed.

If a player happened to open a round and go in order across a set of clue values and get all six then sure we could acknowledge it. When in the history of Hill Valley has that happened?

If DHK wants to post he had three 6-packs ($200, $400 & $400) then nice job by him and I don't care one way or another if someone posts about such feats. I might do it if I have all the $2000 clues and it probably happens less than once a season for me in regular play.
Yeah, I was thinking about a home player, pretty much as a horizontal equivalent to "I ran the US PRESIDENTS category".

Seems like "sideswiped" ("I sideswiped the $600 clues") is our winner, and, as the person who originally presented the concept, I approve.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

I like "line drive." For the LL folks here, a six-pack is already a term for getting a 9(6).
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Or, for us Harry Potter nerds, a "horacrux." Get all five on one board and you're ready for he who will do the naming (Johnny Gilbert) at the start of the next show.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Line drive is great, and, if you miss them all, flatline.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The problem, of course, is that unless you're scoring yourself, it's not likely you're going to notice. And unless you're talking bottom row (or maybe 2nd to bottom) I wouldn't call it an impressive feat. My 1/50 of a dollar.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:54 pm The problem, of course, is that unless you're scoring yourself, it's not likely you're going to notice. And unless you're talking bottom row (or maybe 2nd to bottom) I wouldn't call it an impressive feat. My 1/50 of a dollar.
The point is, unless you're scoring yourself, you're also less likely to notice a category run, especially if there's a student of Chuck Forrest on the show.

However, most boardies (even TPH!) score themselves - especially those (like me) doing so as practice to get on. As such, data like a sideswipe / line drive (another term that has the dhkendall Seal of Approval™) is useful (imho) to these people.

And hey, even if I'm wrong about everything else I've said here (because that's usually the case), at least having a term for a phenomenon that has a non-zero chance of being discussed on a Jeopardy! fan board is a desirable thing.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012