Monday, February 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Monday, February 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:46 pm
heppm01 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:50 pm Rob, any significance to the ear tug that you would be willing to share? It looked very much like something besides, "hmm, my ear itches".
From previous Rob posts:
I had three very enthusiastic cheerleaders. (my wife, her mom and aunt)
+
shameless flirtation with a hottie in the audience!   :oops:

So as long as the answer is wife...
I thought he was saying “hi” to Carol Burnett's grandmother.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

So, is there irony in the fact that Florence's failure to exercise her right to remain silent cost her the ability to participate in FJ!? (Or just Alanis Morissette irony?)
Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:42 pm I had a bit of a derp moment on the "Alienist" clue, considering that I've seen the episodes so far, but do you think that there's an argument for accepting "profiler" as an alternate answer response for "psychiatrist"?
Sorry to quote myself, but I'm curious whether anyone has an opinion on this.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:37 pm So, is there irony in the fact that Florence's failure to exercise her right to remain silent cost her the ability to participate in FJ!? (Or just Alanis Morissette irony?)
Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:42 pm I had a bit of a derp moment on the "Alienist" clue, considering that I've seen the episodes so far, but do you think that there's an argument for accepting "profiler" as an alternate answer response for "psychiatrist"?
I would probably give that a yes.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

33 R
DD: 2/3 (Tar and Feather, Red Sea)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Denmark, Santa Cruz, Malta, The Exorcist, George S. Patton
Douglas Squasoni
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:37 pm So, is there irony in the fact that Florence's failure to exercise her right to remain silent cost her the ability to participate in FJ!? (Or just Alanis Morissette irony?)
I don't feel strongly about it, but here's the argument against: If they were to accept "profiler," shouldn't they have accepted "detective" as well? "Detective" was at least a professional job in 1896, profiler was not. Kreizler's profession was psychiatry.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

As much as I like Rob and his charisma, that was painful to watch. Kate and Florence wound up getting in their own way, but Rob hoovered up all the red and yellow properties on the Monopoly board and parlayed the DD's to a Pier 6 whuppin'. Rob came back from his hiatus (how long was it? One week?) with his game face on.

Instaget FJ. I'll have to acknowledge that the PolySci class I was required to take did learn me something. For all the times you hear about Miranda rights, I'm not sure I would have known it was a SCOTUS ruling that compelled them or that Miranda was the perp in the case.

Surprised Alex declared Kate as second place before the clue reveal. Rob might just be ornery enough to Clavin it! I forecast a $5K bet from him, but maybe he liked the category.
Alex also seems to have taken the hint and hasn't said no harm no foul in the last several triple misses. And of course we have Rob betting "everything" instead of the TDD. Are we losing all of our memes?? :o
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

davey wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:49 pm I don't feel strongly about it, but here's the argument against: If they were to accept "profiler," shouldn't they have accepted "detective" as well? "Detective" was at least a professional job in 1896, profiler was not. Kreizler's profession was psychiatry.
I just looked up the wording, and it was "this type of professional tracking a killer". If "[this type of professional] tracking a killer", psychiatrist is clearly correct; if "this type of [professional tracking a killer]", perhaps profiler could be argued--sort of an ur-profiler. I don't track my Coryats so it's mainly curiosity.
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:11 pm Rob came back from his hiatus (how long was it? One week?) with his game face on.
Rob said that last week was taped on Nov. 27 (unusually, a Monday) so this week would have been taped on Nov. 28. That matches up with my reckoning that this should have been the second day of a taping week.
davey

Post by davey »

Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:26 pm
davey wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:49 pm I don't feel strongly about it, but here's the argument against: If they were to accept "profiler," shouldn't they have accepted "detective" as well? "Detective" was at least a professional job in 1896, profiler was not. Kreizler's profession was psychiatry.
I just looked up the wording, and it was "this type of professional tracking a killer". If "[this type of professional] tracking a killer", psychiatrist is clearly correct; if "this type of [professional tracking a killer]", perhaps profiler could be argued--sort of an ur-profiler....
Yes, but if one accepts the latter, then "detective" should also be accepted. If he was acting as a profiler, he was acting as a detective.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,400
38 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Ladysmith, Krazy Glue, gearhead, Chinatown, grosbeak

I love that Rob plays to win. His opponents go to the top of the board; he goes to the middle. He goes all in on every J! round DD, and he is appropriately aggressive with his DJ! DD wagers as well. That and knowing a lot make him a really tough out.

I'd like to thank all the times I taught the LSAT "birds in the forest" logic game (December 2000, Game 2, in case anyone cares) for making me familiar with the grosbeak.
Sprinkles are for winners.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

I only watched the start of the first episode of Alienist, but I looked it up at the time, and apparently, the term "alienist" is an old-fashioned term for psychologist, so I don't think that any other answer should be accepted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alienist
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

tiwonge wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:30 am I only watched the start of the first episode of Alienist, but I looked it up at the time, and apparently, the term "alienist" is an old-fashioned term for psychologist, so I don't think that any other answer should be accepted.

And yet, Trebek, said psychiatrist. Hmmm. ;)
davey

Post by davey »

tiwonge wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:30 am I only watched the start of the first episode of Alienist, but I looked it up at the time, and apparently, the term "alienist" is an old-fashioned term for psychologist, so I don't think that any other answer should be accepted.

That's not what the Wikipedia entry says now (I didn't change it).
Anyway, a dictionary would be a better source-
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alienist
Both psychologist and psychiatrist are OK. On last night's episode of The Alienist the doctor referred to his field as psychology.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:59 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:46 pm
heppm01 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:50 pm Rob, any significance to the ear tug that you would be willing to share? It looked very much like something besides, "hmm, my ear itches".
From previous Rob posts:
I had three very enthusiastic cheerleaders. (my wife, her mom and aunt)
+
shameless flirtation with a hottie in the audience!   :oops:

So as long as the answer is wife...
I thought he was saying “hi” to Carol Burnett's grandmother.
In a bizarre twist, my wife IS Carol Burnett’s grandmother
;)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Good job, Rob!!! I liked your FJ bet. It is a fairly narrow category about American history, a good time to bet the max.

It was a near instaget for me.

I vote “No” on profiler.
earendel

Post by earendel »

I don't think that "profiler" is a profession. My first thought was "psychologist" until I remembered he was a doctor, so a psychiatrist.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
davey

Post by davey »

earendel wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:22 am
I don't think that "profiler" is a profession. My first thought was "psychologist" until I remembered he was a doctor, so a psychiatrist.
It is. But that's not dispositive on whether that's the doctor's profession avant la lettre, so to speak...
https://www.forensicscolleges.com/blog/ ... l-profiler
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

I vote that it's real irony.

I'd note that it's also ironic that Alanis Morisette had such a big hit about irony apparently without knowing what the word means!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The clue:
Dr. Laszlo Kreizler of Caleb Carr's "The Alienist" is this type of professional tracking a killer in 1896
I still don't see how that could possibly lead to anything other than detective. Why are we supposed to know they're a psychiatrist?
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:38 pm The clue:
Dr. Laszlo Kreizler of Caleb Carr's "The Alienist" is this type of professional tracking a killer in 1896
I still don't see how that could possibly lead to anything other than detective. Why are we supposed to know they're a psychiatrist?
There is that pesky "Dr." in front of his name. Very few detectives go by Dr.

That was enough to make me clam instead of guess on a low value clue that I didn't know.

The reality is that not every clue has a TOM. Sometimes they are YKIOYD. This is one of those.
--Peter
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:54 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:38 pm The clue:
There is that pesky "Dr." in front of his name. Very few detectives go by Dr.

That was enough to make me clam instead of guess on a low value clue that I didn't know.

The reality is that not every clue has a TOM. Sometimes they are YKIOYD. This is one of those.
So IOW they put a liederkranz in the $200 box.