Monday, February 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, February 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Peter the accountant »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:55 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:54 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:38 pm The clue:
Dr. Laszlo Kreizler of Caleb Carr's "The Alienist" is this type of professional tracking a killer in 1896
I still don't see how that could possibly lead to anything other than detective. Why are we supposed to know they're a psychiatrist?
There is that pesky "Dr." in front of his name. Very few detectives go by Dr.

That was enough to make me clam instead of guess on a low value clue that I didn't know.

The reality is that not every clue has a TOM. Sometimes they are YKIOYD. This is one of those.
So IOW they put a liederkranz in the $200 box.
Yeah. So?

If one were a conspiracy theorist, one might think that rather than sponsoring a whole category TNT sponsored a single clue. The TV show "The Alienist" premiered last month (January 2018 for those reading this many years in the future ;) ). Guessing a recording date of last November or thereabouts, the players are unlikely to have see the TV show, although they might have been exposed to a commercial. There is also a chance they've heard of the book, so the clue becomes "fair game" in some kind of lit category. TPTB decided to give it low value so as not to unduly sway the game on a sponsored clue they expect to be a TS.

That's my conspiracy theory, anyway. ;) Or maybe I'm just a shill trying to get people to watch "The Alienist" Mondays at 9/8C on TNT.
--Peter
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:12 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:55 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:54 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:38 pm The clue:
Dr. Laszlo Kreizler of Caleb Carr's "The Alienist" is this type of professional tracking a killer in 1896
I still don't see how that could possibly lead to anything other than detective. Why are we supposed to know they're a psychiatrist?
There is that pesky "Dr." in front of his name. Very few detectives go by Dr.

That was enough to make me clam instead of guess on a low value clue that I didn't know.

The reality is that not every clue has a TOM. Sometimes they are YKIOYD. This is one of those.
So IOW they put a liederkranz in the $200 box.
Yeah. So?

If one were a conspiracy theorist, one might think that rather than sponsoring a whole category TNT sponsored a single clue. The TV show "The Alienist" premiered last month (January 2018 for those reading this many years in the future ;) ). Guessing a recording date of last November or thereabouts, the players are unlikely to have see the TV show, although they might have been exposed to a commercial. There is also a chance they've heard of the book, so the clue becomes "fair game" in some kind of lit category. TPTB decided to give it low value so as not to unduly sway the game on a sponsored clue they expect to be a TS.

That's my conspiracy theory, anyway. ;) Or maybe I'm just a shill trying to get people to watch "The Alienist" Mondays at 9/8C on TNT.
The whole category was pretty tough, though the $400 clue was easier because of its coffee shop references. Still, not only is there the miniseries which I've seen hyped for months (and is turning out to be not so good), the book was an enormous bestseller in its time, memorable because it really is about a proto-profiler. Partly but not only because of the book, the term alienist may be archaic but I don't think it's so obscure...
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Let’s also not forget that before it was a TV show it was a Caleb Carr novel that IIRC spent quite a bit of time on bestseller lists, albeit more than two decades ago. Of course, there is also the now deprecated meaning of the term.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:52 pm Let’s also not forget that before it was a TV show it was a Caleb Carr novel that IIRC spent quite a bit of time on bestseller lists, albeit more than two decades ago. Of course, there is also the now deprecated meaning of the term.
I had never heard of the novel until the TV show came out. Were I not watching the show, there's no way I would know he was a psychologist.