Wednesday, February 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7703, 2018-02-21

Rob Worman game 6.

CONTESTANTS
Bryan Brzycki, a stay-at-home dad from Indianapolis, Indiana
Kristy Calman, a media strategist from Louisville, Kentucky
Rob Worman, an escalation manager from Edina, Minnesota (whose 5-day cash winnings total $113,899)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. Welcome to our show. $113,000 and change cash winnings. That's a lot of cash. Yeah. Kristy and Bryan, good to have you with us today. And good luck. Here we go. The categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
VERY, VERY U.K. ELECTION CONSTITUENCIES (0/3)
____ OF THE ____ (5/5)
INTERJECTIONS! (4/4)
"C" THE FLOWERS (4/5)
YOU KNOW MY NAME (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LOOK UP THE BEATLES NUMBER (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rob: 14 R, 0 W
Kristy: 6 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Bryan: 2 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Rob: $5,800
Kristy: $600
Bryan: -$1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Bryan Brzycki is a stay-at-home dad from Indianapolis, who is under a little extra pressure here today. Family pressure, because...

Bryan: Yes.

Alex: Wasn't your daughter a contestant on one of our shows?

Bryan: Yes, she was a contestant on Kids Week back in 2014. Krissy. She's out in the audience tonight watching.

Alex: She's grown up. There she--ooh, she is grown up.

Bryan: No.

Alex: And how well did she do?

Bryan: She got second place on her show.

Alex: Okay, that's pretty good.

Alex: Kristy Calman from Louisville, Kentucky.

Kristy: Yes, sir.

Alex: Your dad used to run a small newspaper. Does he still have the paper?

Kristy: No, he doesn't. In fact, he sold it many years ago and passed away about nine years ago.

Alex: I see. But it used to have a lot of anecdotes about the family in it.

Kristy: Yeah, he wrote a column called "The Round Table" because our kitchen table was round. And it was just whatever he was thinking of. But it usually always started with some kind of anecdote about the family, and usually it was something embarrassing about the family. So being from a small town, everyone would always, you know, see me, and go, "Oh, yeah, I read about you did this last week," or "Your brother did that."

Alex: The joys of living in a small community.

Kristy: Exactly.

Alex: Rob Worman is our champion. He's from Edina, Minnesota. A lot of contestants who come to us practice beforehand using a ballpoint pen. A little clicker.

Rob: Yes, yes.

Alex: You practiced using something different.

Rob: Well, you know, it seemed like a ballpoint pen was a little too small. And so I got a toilet paper roll spindle.

[Rob brings out the toilet paper roll holder and compares it to the buzzer.]

Rob: I think is a pretty good match. And yes, playing at home, standing behind a chair, working on it.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. Pick up your not-toilet paper holder and make another selection for us.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kristy found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. Rob had $8,000, Kristy had $2,600, and Bryan had a deficit with -$1,000. Kristy made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,600.

YOU KNOW MY NAME $400: World Book puts the dates on the life of this labor union leader as (1913-1975?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
VERY, VERY U.K. ELECTION CONSTITUENCIES $600: In Wales:
Llanelli; Pontypridd; this city Central, North & West

VERY, VERY U.K. ELECTION CONSTITUENCIES $800: Batley & Spen; Pudsey; this city, home to Robin Hood's law enforcement enemy East
(Bryan: What is Sherwood?)

VERY, VERY U.K. ELECTION CONSTITUENCIES $1000: Stoke-on-Trent North; Bootle; this town on the Thames with a William the Conqueror-initiated castle

"C" THE FLOWERS $1000: Linnaeus named this pretty flower for a Jesuit missionary
(Bryan: What is a chrysanthemum?)
(Alex: The man's name was Kamel, spelled with a "K", and the flower is [*], spelled with a "C".)

YOU KNOW MY NAME $1000: Compiled by his widow Myrlie, the autobiography of this slain civil rights leader was published 43 years after his death

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Rob: $8,200
Kristy: $5,200
Bryan: -$1,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BESTSELLERS (3/5)
SITCOMEDY TONIGHT (4/5)
5-LETTER PALINDROMES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CLASSICAL ARCHITECTURE (1/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
HODGEPODGE (3/5)
POTENTATE POTABLES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rob: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Kristy: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Bryan: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 5 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rob snagged the next Daily Double on the 18th clue. Rob had $12,200, Kristy had $8,400, and Bryan had a deficit with -$1,000. Rob wagered $7,000.

5-LETTER PALINDROMES $1200: Used operationally by the Brits beginning in 1935, it helped against German air attacks

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Bryan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Rob had $21,600, Kristy had $10,000, and Bryan had a deficit with -$200. Bryan wagered $2,000.

CLASSICAL ARCHITECTURE $800: Underground passageways made movement easy in these Roman places with rooms like frigidariums & tepidariums
(Bryan: What are... coliseums?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BESTSELLERS $1600: This memoir begins with Jeannette Walls in a taxi, seeing her mom rooting through a dumpster

SITCOMEDY TONIGHT $1600: This "bra-mance" of Abbi & Ilana moved from the web to Comedy Central in 2014

HODGEPODGE $1600: Dating back to the 19th century, it's a variation of volleyball where you catch the ball
(Bryan: What is handball?)

HODGEPODGE $2000: Clinton's Secretary of Commerce and W's Secretary of Transportation, he was the first Asian-American Cabinet member

BESTSELLERS $800: "Circling the Sun" fictionalizes the love triangle of Beryl Markham, Denys Finch Hatton & this author of "Out of Africa"
(Rob: Who is Forster?)

5-LETTER PALINDROMES $2000: This Amharic word for "flower" is a girl's name & part of a world capital's name
(Bryan: What is Anna?)

CLASSICAL ARCHITECTURE $1200: Perfect for a stroll around the agora in Athens was a stoa, this type of column-lined walkway

CLASSICAL ARCHITECTURE $1600: The Romans added two new architectural orders to Ionic, Doric & Corinthian--Composite & the one named for this region
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Rob: $21,600 (lock game)
Kristy: $10,000
Bryan: -$2,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD WAR I

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place.
Rob: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Kristy: You've no hope of catching up... unless Rob does something stupid. So risk as much as $9,999; you needn't worry about falling into third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Site of an arduous WWI campaign, this town on the Dardanelles gets its name from the Greek for "beautiful city"

FINAL SCORES
Kristy: $10,000 - $9,900 = $100 (What is ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Rob: $21,600 - $1,599 = $20,001 (What is Hi Davi! ☺) (6-day champion: $133,900)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $16,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Rob: $15,800, 23 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Kristy: $7,800, 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Bryan: -$200, 9 R, 8 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $23,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Rob: 23/59 = .390
Kristy: 10/59 = .169
Bryan: 9/59 = .153
Team: 42/63 = .667

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
INTERJECTIONS! $600: "Forever & ever" is sandwiched between this one-word religious exclamation in the chorus of a Handel oratorio
(Bryan: What is amen?

"C" THE FLOWERS $600: The rose seen here is nicknamed this for its resemblance to a head of one

____ OF THE ____ $1000: Here's an illustration from this mortuary text

YOU KNOW MY NAME $200: Washington told doctors, "Treat him as if he were my son" after this Frenchman was wounded in a 1777 battle
(Alex: With less than a minute to go now.)

INTERJECTIONS! $200: This exclamation over a chessboard means the game has been won
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

BESTSELLERS $1200: "The Hammer of Thor" is book 2 in the series "Magnus Chase and the Gods of" this realm
(Bryan: What is... Valhalla?)

BESTSELLERS $2000: Accounts by this journalist & mountain climber include "Into the Wild" and "Into Thin Air"

SITCOMEDY TONIGHT $800: Before becoming an action movie star, he hung around Indiana as Andy Dwyer on "Parks & Rec"
(Rob: Who is... I just forgot.)
(Alex: Oh, that's too bad.)
(Rob: Chris Pine.)

POTENTATE POTABLES $1200: Proud that she could drink "like an Englishman", Catherine the Great enjoyed this "fat" type of beer
(Bryan: What is lager?)

POTENTATE POTABLES $800: This Babylonian king's code includes a beer merchant's punishment for not giving value for money

CLASSICAL ARCHITECTURE $400: The heart of Mycenaean palaces was the megaron, a great hall with a hearth & this royal furniture
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Jimmy Hoffa
Cardiff
Nottingham
Windsor
camellia
Medgar Evers
radar
baths
The Glass Castle
Broad City
Newcomb ball
Norman Mineta
Karen Blixen
Ababa
a colonnade
Tuscany
Gallipoli
allelujah
cabbage
the Book of the Dead
Lafayette
checkmate
Asgard
(Jon) Krakauer
Chris Pratt
stout
Hammurabi
the throne
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD WAR I

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Site of an arduous WWI campaign, this town on the Dardanelles gets its name from the Greek for “beautiful city”

Rob Worman: 21600-1599=20001 (6x = $133,900)
Kristy Calman: 10000-9900=100
Bryan Brzycki: minus 2200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Gallipoli (Rob – What is Hi Davi! with smiley face) (Kristy – What is ?)

Daily Doubles
Kristy: 2600+2600
Rob: 12200+7000
Bryan: minus 200 -2000

Coryats
Rob: 15800
Kristy: 7800
Bryan: minus 200

Combined: 23,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Rob: 8200
Kristy: 5200
Bryan: minus 1000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Rob got to play show and tell today with Alex:
Spoiler
Bryan’s daughter will keep bragging rights in the family with her 2nd place finish. http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=9543 Not to mention she also got to play the FJ! clue.

Earlier in the season I was a war off on the Iwo Jima clue when I guessed today’s correct response. Today was redemption. Also, earlier this month I had watched the Russell Crowe movie about the battle, The Water Diviner.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

Today I needed all parts of FJ! for the solve. I couldn't immediately drum up Gallipoli, but I thought about the Greek for city and got the Polis (or Poli) and from there was able to get to Gallipoli.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Congrats Rob. Also, that is as clear a comparison of signaling device that you get to see. Tough to see Bryan end in Red.

Question: Would Peristyle work for Colonnade clue?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $21,000
38 R/6 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Cardiff, Nottingham, Medgar Evers, Isak Denisen/Karen Blixen, portico/colonnade, Tuscany

Huge congrats again, Rob. You're my favorite player in quite some time. Glad to see you killing it.
doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm Question: Would Peristyle work for Colonnade clue?
I credited my response of portico since that appears in the dictionary definition for stoa. Peristyle looks like it works as well.

I also credited my response of Isak Denisen as the author of Out Of Africa. I can't imagine the judges requiring the author's real name given the wording of the clue.

Amharic = Ethiopia. That's a Pavlov I need to nail down.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Wpwells wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:48 am Today I needed all parts of FJ! for the solve. I couldn't immediately drum up Gallipoli, but I thought about the Greek for city and got the Polis (or Poli) and from there was able to get to Gallipoli.
I initially got misdirected to Belgium/France with "Dardanelles" but the reference to Greek pointed to the right part of the world, and like you, "poli" for city, cinched it. Heartbreaking 1981 film with a young Mel Gibson for those who haven't seen it.

Compared with yesterday's Kid's Week level FJ, this one took a bit of thought to get to the right place. I'm guessing it polls around 50%.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:13 pm
Wpwells wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:48 am Today I needed all parts of FJ! for the solve. I couldn't immediately drum up Gallipoli, but I thought about the Greek for city and got the Polis (or Poli) and from there was able to get to Gallipoli.
I initially got misdirected to Belgium/France with "Dardanelles" but the reference to Greek pointed to the right part of the world, and like you, "poli" for city, cinched it. Heartbreaking 1981 film with a young Mel Gibson for those who haven't seen it.

Compared with yesterday's Kid's Week level FJ, this one took a bit of thought to get to the right place. I'm guessing it polls around 50%.
We're at 4/4 on the board and 4/6 counting the players. I'll take the over 50%. That's enough of a sample size to make projections, right? ;)
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:21 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:13 pm

We're at 4/4 on the board and 4/6 counting the players. I'll take the over 50%. That's enough of a sample size to make projections, right? ;)
It's a bit thin for extrapolation but hey, you could be right! There may be more WWI/Greek language experts here than I anticipated. ;)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I didn’t even have a guess on FJ.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Well done, Rob! And the TP spindle is a brilliant idea. We just have those free-standing holders that sit on the bathroom floor, so, Home Depot, here we come.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

I learned about Gallipoli from Leon Uris's Redemption. I read a lot of his historical fiction when I was in high school.

Hmmm... It was published after I graduated, so maybe not? I know I read some historical fiction (I am pretty sure by Uris) about Gallipoli, and I don't think I read much of him after graduating. (I hit QB VII and couldn't get past details of Nazi human experiments.) But maybe I did.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I whiffed--got as far as Callopolis. If I had been a little more persistent and tried Callipolis next I might have gotten there.

Rock on, Rob!
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm Question: Would Peristyle work for Colonnade clue?
Or how about arcade?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Poor Bryan. Had a couple of bad negs early on and just never recovered (was he ever out of the red?). I was shouting 'bath!!' at th TV, but he could not hear me in the past. Also, I was yelling not to bet 2000, so that he wouldn't be two clues in the hole if he got it wrong, but it wouldn't have mattered.

Great wager on that palindromes DD, Rob. I would've been tempted to go all-in; that category was free money, and it was only in the $1200 box.

I watch a weekly series about WWI, so a lot of WWI battles are relatively fresh on the brain. Instaget FJ at the word 'Dardanelles', before Alex finished reading the clue. I might've gotten it from city -> -polis -> -poli, but I'm glad it didn't come to that.

Welcome to the ranks of the superchampions, Rob!
Leander

Post by Leander »

Instaget FJ for me too at the word “Dardanelles”. Came down to “name the only WWI battle anyone knows of outside France/Belgium”

Note to writers: do not make Alex pronounce Welsh placenames, unless it’s something as simple as Cardiff.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

That was nice that Bryan was able to come back on stage after it all to wrap up and shake hands. Is that a recent change? I don't recall it happening before.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

acthomas wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:11 pm That was nice that Bryan was able to come back on stage after it all to wrap up and shake hands. Is that a recent change? I don't recall it happening before.
The last time I remember it happening was...Let me think...Oh yeah, Monday. The 19th. Of this month. ;)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash pickup: Cardiff, Nottingham, Tuscany. Sussed out the FJ. Never heard of Newcomb Ball.