Wednesday, February 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Wednesday, February 21, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ironhorse »

Being able to pull Gallipoli today takes some of the sting out of missing hummingbird yesterday.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

Andromus wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:33 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 pm Question: Would Peristyle work for Colonnade clue?
Or how about arcade?
I don't think arcade would work... an arcade has arches, rather than columns, and I believe the clue specifically said "column-lined" or words to that effect....

(I had reason to research / think about this because I answered arcade, and wondered the same thing.)
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

Got as far as -polis for Final. I've never heard of the term Newcomb Ball either. I'm sure I've heard of that variation in question before, but didn't know that was the name.

I feel bad for Bryan.. he looked defeated for most of the game and just never got it back. On a more positive note, continued congrats for toppling everyone in your path, Rob! I enjoyed watching the highlight reel on the show's site and am rooting for more wins!
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:33 pmI also credited my response of Isak Denisen as the author of Out Of Africa. I can't imagine the judges requiring the author's real name given the wording of the clue.
Same here (although - Dinesen).

For the Pulsar watch question I went with LED, and a quick look at Wikipedia tells me that the first digital watch was also the first LED watch, so I'm taking credit for this.

WW I is a pretty sizeable knowledge gap for me. I can name a small number of cities that had notable battles but their geographical placement is on the order of "somewhere in Europe". I tried to tease it out from the Greek, but as I often do, I ended up stuck with Roman translations running through my head, which of course does not work very well.

Rob is a solid all-arounder. I suspect his eventual loss will be at the hands of someone who can consistently beat him on the buzzer.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

33 R
DD: 1/3 (Baths)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Cardiff, Nottingham, Windsor, Medgar Evers, Newcomb, Karen Blixen/Isak Dinesin, Ababa, (Baths), Tuscany

Other of my gets include Book of the Dead and Jon Krakauer.
Douglas Squasoni
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 19, W: 1, costing 200
Coryat: 11,000
FJ: :(
DD: 2/3
LT: Nottingham, (baths)

This has been a bad week for me from the 4th podium. At least I'm getting my negs under control. I didn't get skunked in any category, but manged 3 right responses in only one category today.

I also went with LED for the watch, so I'm game for counting it correct!

For FJ, I was completely clueless. In the spirit of writing down something (and ignoring the completely locked up final results of the actual game) I made up a new place name called Beneopolis. I think I'm mixing up my Latin/Italian and Greek there. I'm kind of surprised that I was actually heading in the general direction of the right response.

It looked to me like Bryan was pretty good with the buzzer timing, but had a tough day pulling up the responses. I suspect he's better than this game's outcome indicates.

Congrats to Rob for another great showing.
--Peter
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33 right.

U.K. Election (3), _ of the _ (2), Interjection (2), "C" Flowers (2), Name (5), Beatles (5)
Bestsellers (1), Sitcomedy (3), 5-Letter Palindromes (2), Architecture (3), Hodge-podge (1), Potables (4)

Lach Trash: Cardiff, Nottingham, Windsor, Medgar Evers; Daily Double: baths

I had the "-poli(s)" in my mind, but I couldn't remember the first part.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:26 pm
acthomas wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:11 pm That was nice that Bryan was able to come back on stage after it all to wrap up and shake hands. Is that a recent change? I don't recall it happening before.
The last time I remember it happening was...Let me think...Oh yeah, Monday. The 19th. Of this month. ;)
See, this is what I get for skipping FJ at the gym when I solve it in the morning and look up the results here in the afternoon.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Another ho-hum day at the office for Rob. Sorry, Bryan and Kristy. I don't notice any category that Rob avoids, but that's partly because of his Forrest bouncing.

NHO Newcomb ball and I'm a bit of a sports junkie.

Couldn't pull any battles named for cities. Tried to think of trench warfare sites and could only come up with names like Flanders and the Ardenne and the Marne and Bastogne. I only know of Gallipoli as where Churchill got blame for a disaster and never even connected it to WW I.

Still rooting for Rob, although if he wasn't a boardie I'd be pulling for the underdogs or whoever is playing the Patriots and the Yankees.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I was in Australia (twice!) in 2014 which was the 100th anniversary of WWI's start & Gallipoli is still a sad event for them & the Kiwis. Plus the Mel Gibson movie was terrific. Better today than yesterday. I think Brian was briefly in the black but that performance had to hurt. Nice DD betting by the champ!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Who's ready for a Xanax after that five letter palindrome category?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

DBear wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:38 pm Never heard of Newcomb Ball.
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:37 pm NHO Newcomb ball and I'm a bit of a sports junkie.
Played Newcomb in middle school a lot. Sometimes it pays to be very young. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I love how none of them realized that the category was "Potentate Potables."

I thought I had at least a decent knowledge of Beatles, but even though I've heard a couple of those songs, "When I'm 64" was my only get.

It took a lot of restraint not to say "Sturgill Simpson" on the "Turtles All the Way Down" clue.

Greek for Beautiful would mean some kind of "Calli" beginning (as in "calligraphy"). City = polis (as in "metropolis") I also knew, but it wasn't there. Not like either would've helped me as I don't recognize Gallipoli at all.

Lach Trash: Cardiff, Nottingham
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:37 pm Another ho-hum day at the office for Rob. Sorry, Bryan and Kristy. I don't notice any category that Rob avoids, but that's partly because of his Forrest bouncing.
I was bouncier than usual today, but I haven't thought back to determine why, exactly.

As you've all noticed by now, I'm not so much a Forrest bouncer as much as I am a determined "clear the BOTTOM half of the board first" player. (in the name of Daily Doubles and dollars, of course)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I was hoping for Revolution #9 in the Beatles category.
Saturnalia
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Saturnalia »

RobW wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:38 am
As you've all noticed by now, I'm not so much a Forrest bouncer as much as I am a determined "clear the BOTTOM half of the board first" player. (in the name of Daily Doubles and dollars, of course)
Honestly, the thing I've noticed as much as anything is your tendency to go right at video-clue categories -- A Wrinkle in Time, for instance. Is that a strategy or have these just been randomly good categories for you?

Great job, by the way.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

threearruda wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:51 pm Got as far as -polis for Final.
I got to there, then Gallipoli never occurred to me, even though it's part of one of my favorite Simpsons gags.

I'm just glad it wasn't Cambrai, which was mentioned many times in a show I watched just a few days ago, and which I also couldn't remember.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Saturnalia wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:37 am
RobW wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:38 am
Honestly, the thing I've noticed as much as anything is your tendency to go right at video-clue categories -- A Wrinkle in Time, for instance. Is that a strategy or have these just been randomly good categories for you?
it is the latter of your theories. :-)

The Como zoo category was exciting to me because I work 2 miles from that place, so I was hoping for some esoteric Minnesota trivia that only I would know. (nope)

The Wrinkle in Time category was similarly exciting, because I was a fan of the book as a child AND I actually anticipated the possibility of that category so I had actually prepared for it!

And last week’s Phantom of the Opera category, in particular, was Clavinbait for me. :)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:49 pm
Wpwells wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:48 am Today I needed all parts of FJ! for the solve. I couldn't immediately drum up Gallipoli, but I thought about the Greek for city and got the Polis (or Poli) and from there was able to get to Gallipoli.
I whiffed--got as far as Callopolis. If I had been a little more persistent and tried Callipolis next I might have gotten there.

Rock on, Rob!
I went down the same path and got stuck the same place, which infuriates me in retrospect. Greed for beautiful = kalla (from which we get "calligraphy" or "beautiful writing". "city = "polis."

For an instant thought Calais, but nope, wrong part of the world. Found my way to the mythical city of Calliopolis and couldn't unhinge my brain to make the final step to Gallipoli, even though I'm very familiar with the WWI battle there. Danged disappointing miss for me on this one.

Meanwhile I'm assuming Isak Dinesen is acceptable for Karen Blixen.

And many congrats to the champ. FJ get or FJ miss, he steamrolled again and looks like a major player. Top 40 on the list of all-time regular season money winners. I'm officially impressed. And seems to be a heckuva nice guy as well, even though I don't think I would show anything from my bathroom on the show. :lol:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

So, Bryan coming back on stage after ending in the red brings up a question -- how come they don't let a player in the red play FJ for 'fun'. Let them write their response down like the other contestants just to see if they would have gotten it right.

Rob, I certainly wanted you to win, but I kept having to yell at Bryan, "STOP JUST GUESSING!" It is unfortunate because you know on some other day or without the lights he would have done just fine.