Monday, February 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, February 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Anachronism »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:21 am
I don't care what the contestants do in the intro. It's really kind of an anachronistic way to begin the show. Maybe they could all come up from the floor like in Hunger Games?

OK, MB - I'll take the over at 80% 8-) . Currently 17/19 I think, so it can roll over quickly. And we'll count each Canadian answer at par to the dollar.
Touche. I'm not saying it's a moral issue. It's just getting to me lately. Austin was unique. This is becoming derivative, like Sports Jeopardy. But not nearly as annoying as leaving ten clues unseen when there isn't even a Targaryen category on the board.

I'm with the over. In the event I go 0/5 in a week, I hide my head in shame and avoid everything J-related for a while.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My question is... will I get an FJ! right by my birthday (March 10)?
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Anachronism wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:03 pm Maybe those who have been on recently could answer this, but are the producers telling contestants to do weird things during the intro? It's getting really old, fast. Are they putting the smiley-faces on the nameplates as well, or do contestants do that themselves?
No none of that was suggested by the staff, as of the end of November when I was taping.

The silly intro moves are undoubtedly Austin-influenced. (we are now seeing shows taped well after Austin’s run...)

As for the smiley-face, I don’t think that’s such a new trend. It was Ken Jennings’s memorable artistry that inspired me to try to do SOMETHING notable with my name - too bad I’m such a useless artist that two dots and an arc was literally the only thing I could cleanly pull off.
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:21 am This sub-committee chair on the ASTM E20 Temperature Measurement committee didn't get the absolute zero answer. Between the geographical category, the failure to mention a lab environment (I think), and degrees F - REALLY? I'm not up to date with who's chasing the record for lowest temp, I find it as boring and unscientific as man-made heavy elements and manned space programs. But I do think the record is way lower than the 0.05 K mentioned in the clue. [edit - a quick google gave 100 picoKelvin ( 0.000 000 000 100) - and condensed matter physics is quite important, just not this pandering to hold the record for the bragging rights]
Curse of knowledge bit me here too. I was an undergrad when the Nobel for Bose-Einstein condensates was awarded, and they routinely talked about getting the temperature *well* below 0.05 K as part of the experimental protocol. And then if it's just a regular environment, and not a lab apparatus, you're not getting anywhere close to absolute zero within the earth.

OTOH, "name a very cold temperature" is practically Pavlovian for absolute zero, so.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:21 am This sub-committee chair on the ASTM E20 Temperature Measurement committee didn't get the absolute zero answer. Between the geographical category, the failure to mention a lab environment (I think), and degrees F - REALLY? I'm not up to date with who's chasing the record for lowest temp, I find it as boring and unscientific as man-made heavy elements and manned space programs. But I do think the record is way lower than the 0.05 K mentioned in the clue. [edit - a quick google gave 100 picoKelvin ( 0.000 000 000 100) - and condensed matter physics is quite important, just not this pandering to hold the record for the bragging rights]
I don't remember the exact wording of the clue, but I'm pretty sure the work at the Soudan mine is not about trying to achieve a record for lowest temp; I think it's a neutrino detector that just happens to need really low temperatures.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:15 pm No, the church organist did not get "All Creatures Great and Small". I don't think we've ever done that hymn at any of the churches I've played for.
To be fair I don’t think I’ve ever heard the hymn either, I got it from the book title - that I know was named for a hymn I’ve heard of (but not heard).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Foretopman wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:13 am
I don't remember the exact wording of the clue, but I'm pretty sure the work at the Soudan mine is not about trying to achieve a record for lowest temp; I think it's a neutrino detector that just happens to need really low temperatures.
For some reason I didn’t think that anywhere near absolute zero was achievable on earth outside man made situations, which is why I rejected it. I mean I know Minnesota is cold but I didn’t know it was that cold!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:23 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:15 pm No, the church organist did not get "All Creatures Great and Small". I don't think we've ever done that hymn at any of the churches I've played for.
To be fair I don’t think I’ve ever heard the hymn either, I got it from the book title - that I know was named for a hymn I’ve heard of (but not heard).
I was the opposite. I've heard of the hymn, but not the book.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

RobW wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:52 am
Anachronism wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:03 pm Maybe those who have been on recently could answer this, but are the producers telling contestants to do weird things during the intro? It's getting really old, fast. Are they putting the smiley-faces on the nameplates as well, or do contestants do that themselves?
No none of that was suggested by the staff, as of the end of November when I was taping.

The silly intro moves are undoubtedly Austin-influenced. (we are now seeing shows taped well after Austin’s run...)

As for the smiley-face, I don’t think that’s such a new trend. It was Ken Jennings’s memorable artistry that inspired me to try to do SOMETHING notable with my name - too bad I’m such a useless artist that two dots and an arc was literally the only thing I could cleanly pull off.
The staff gave no instructions or hints as to how to behave during the intro, as of late October when I taped. If you're as self-conscious as I am about this, it's actually hard to stand still for the few seconds of camera time. Very few of us are used to looking pretty for the camera.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

cthulhu wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:06 am Given the "gotta give the entire name" ethos that has infested FJ over the last year, I'm disappointed that nobody answered "What is Frankenstein; or the Modern Prometheus?"
Only to run out of time and only have "What is Frankenstein or the Modern Prometh" and subsequently be ruled incorrect
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

DavidRosen wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:07 am
RobW wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:52 am

The staff gave no instructions or hints as to how to behave during the intro, as of late October when I taped. If you're as self-conscious as I am about this, it's actually hard to stand still for the few seconds of camera time. Very few of us are used to looking pretty for the camera.
It is a long time to stare into a camera - and it's pretty unnatural, as evidenced by the fact that so many people hate their driver's license and/or passport photos. It seems like this is where the show should exercise a little common sense - do a practice run and let folks see how they look or have someone to offer some pointers (if they don't do any of that already).
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Foretopman wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:13 amI don't remember the exact wording of the clue, but I'm pretty sure the work at the Soudan mine is not about trying to achieve a record for lowest temp; I think it's a neutrino detector that just happens to need really low temperatures.
We'd have to say the Soudan underground lab has the coolest spot in Minnesota -- about .01 degrees F. above this.

I suspect that a deep knowledge of a subject is sometimes a hindrance. I'm not saying that knowing a subject well is a bad thing at all, but sometimes it keeps you from quickly getting to a response in J! that others with somewhat less knowledge (like me) will get quickly.

Really cold. In Minnesota, known for cold weather. Need to peg to something fairly accurately, to .01 degrees (really doesn't matter if its F or C or K). Gotta be absolute zero. Anything else can't be measured that accurately or is too subject to fluctuation or is too esoteric.
--Peter
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:21 am This sub-committee chair on the ASTM E20 Temperature Measurement committee didn't get the absolute zero answer. Between the geographical category, the failure to mention a lab environment (I think), and degrees F - REALLY?
Would you have been satisfied with degrees Rankine? :D

I'll admit this one threw me off for an instant, but quickly recovered to realize it must be asbsolute zero even though it was phrased rather strangely.
davey

Post by davey »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:32 am
Foretopman wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:13 amI don't remember the exact wording of the clue, but I'm pretty sure the work at the Soudan mine is not about trying to achieve a record for lowest temp; I think it's a neutrino detector that just happens to need really low temperatures.
We'd have to say the Soudan underground lab has the coolest spot in Minnesota -- about .01 degrees F. above this.

I suspect that a deep knowledge of a subject is sometimes a hindrance. I'm not saying that knowing a subject well is a bad thing at all, but sometimes it keeps you from quickly getting to a response in J! that others with somewhat less knowledge (like me) will get quickly.

Really cold. In Minnesota, known for cold weather. Need to peg to something fairly accurately, to .01 degrees (really doesn't matter if its F or C or K). Gotta be absolute zero. Anything else can't be measured that accurately or is too subject to fluctuation or is too esoteric.
All the other clues in the category were about natural phenomena. You had to focus on the word "lab" in this clue to realize they were probably talking about something induced - most people probably were thrown thinking about normal cold places in Minnesota. (In going back to look at this clue I first thought it had been in the Weather category...) I got it only because of the lag when the contestants didn't ring in, taking a stab at the coldest thing I knew, sure it couldn't be right. (Sometimes, it is good to guess...)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

davey wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:48 am

All the other clues in the category were about natural phenomena. You had to focus on the word "lab" in this clue to realize they were probably talking about something induced - most people probably were thrown thinking about normal cold places in Minnesota. (In going back to look at this clue I first thought it had been in the Weather category...) I got it only because of the lag when the contestants didn't ring in, taking a stab at the coldest thing I knew, sure it couldn't be right. (Sometimes, it is good to guess...)
I got there by asking "what temperature could it be .01 degrees above?" Freezing made no sense in context, leaving nothing else for but absolute zero.
Uncle Jeff
Resident phpBB Programmer

Post by Uncle Jeff »

Been away a while, but one question sent me to the internet looking for details, and that brought me back here. Usually when I am puzzled by a ruling, a little research quickly exposes what I thought wrong. This time I am still puzzled...

Can anyone explain how "...Revolutionary War" was a wrong response to the paper money clue? Even the Bureau of Printing and Engraving mentions the paper continentals of the Rev. War that were issued by the CC. How can those not count as national paper currency (since they were issued by a national congress)? Did I misread the clue? If not, then what would a player need to know (other than seeing another player be ruled wrong) to avoid falling into that trap?

PS: Abs zero and Frahnkensteen were both insta-gets.

PPS: Including the symbol Hg when asking for mercury? That's giving away the correct response in the clue.
In a free society, the most local level of government is the individual citizen
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Uncle Jeff wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:27 pm Been away a while, but one question sent me to the internet looking for details, and that brought me back here. Usually when I am puzzled by a ruling, a little research quickly exposes what I thought wrong. This time I am still puzzled...

Can anyone explain how "...Revolutionary War" was a wrong response to the paper money clue? Even the Bureau of Printing and Engraving mentions the paper continentals of the Rev. War that were issued by the CC. How can those not count as national paper currency (since they were issued by a national congress)? Did I misread the clue? If not, then what would a player need to know (other than seeing another player be ruled wrong) to avoid falling into that trap?

ROCK, PAPER & SCISSORS $800: The U.S. printed its first national paper currency during this war

If "national" is not the problem then what is left from the short wording of the clue? "U.S.?"
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Uncle Jeff wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:27 pm Can anyone explain how "...Revolutionary War" was a wrong response to the paper money clue? Even the Bureau of Printing and Engraving mentions the paper continentals of the Rev. War that were issued by the CC. How can those not count as national paper currency (since they were issued by a national congress)? Did I misread the clue? If not, then what would a player need to know (other than seeing another player be ruled wrong) to avoid falling into that trap?
Did the U.S. exist during the Revolutionary War?

I bit on that too; answered before my brain caught up.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Woof wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:03 pm
davey wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:48 am

I got there by asking "what temperature could it be .01 degrees above?" Freezing made no sense in context, leaving nothing else for but absolute zero.
I think it is a fine clue, I just missed the "lab" TOM. If they'd said "lab" in ANY OTHER FREAKING STATE I'd have been able to tune out the Fahrenheit decoy and taken the free money. Fun fact - the coldest places in the history of the UNIVERSE are in these cryo-labs on Earth and wherever the Penguin goes every winter :lol: .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Description of the Beaufort Scale from 1831.

I was helped this show by three questions appearing on this show that I had just watched. Just to be clear, I'm not implying anything by this. With all those shows, just by the sheer limited universe of what can be reasonably asked, the same answers could appear on two quiz shows. This is as opposed to some bar trivia nights when I've heard the exact wording from a Final Jeopardy.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.