Monday, February 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7706, 2018-02-26

CONTESTANTS
Jonah Platt, a writer from Los Angeles, California
Maryann Penzvalto, a librarian from Cleveland, Ohio
Alan Harrison, an administrative assistant from Seattle, Washington (whose 2-day cash winnings total $23,710)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome, everyone. Maryann and Jonah, welcome aboard. Alan, good to see you again, and good luck to all three of you. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round today features these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
DEEP STATE (3/5)
BEJEWELED (3/5)
THE BOOK'S ORIGINAL LANGUAGE (1/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SEARCH TERMS (4/5)
ROCK, PAPER & SCISSORS (5/5)
THE TV CHARACTER IS HAVING A MOMENT (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jonah: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Maryann: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Alan: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 8
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Maryann: $800
Alan: $400
Jonah: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jonah Platt is a writer, and he's famous in a way. You have a sandwich named for you.

Jonah: That's correct. At my college, University of Pennsylvania, there's a chicken sandwich called the Jonah's Chicken at the Hemo's food cart on 30thand Walnut.

Alex: Okay, good. Nice to have you with us.

Alex: Maryann Penzvalto, a librarian from Cleveland, Ohio. You, it says here, are a superfan of Harry Potter.

Maryann: I am actually in a book about the Harry Potter fandom. My name and photo are in the book Harry, a History by Melissa Anelli.

Alex: So if we happened to put up a Harry Potter category in Double Jeopardy!--

Maryann: Please do.

Alex: You're probably going to blow these two guys away, right?

Maryann: That's the hope. Or I'd be very embarrassed.

Alex: Okay. All right.

Alex: Alan Harrison is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. He is from Seattle, Washington. Some of you may recall an old movie in which Danny Kaye did a beautiful song about Russian composers. It was called "Tchaikovsky".

Alan: It was.

Alex: Now you can do that from memory.

Alan: I can do it from memory.

Alex: Okay.

Alan: And it goes something a little like this: There's Malichevsky, Rubinstein, Arensky, and Tschaikowsky, Sapelnikoff, Dimitrieff, Tscherepnin, Kryjanowsky, Godowsky, Arteiboucheff, Moniuszko, Akimenko, Solovieff, Prokofieff, Tiomkin, Korestchenko. There's Glinka, Winkler, Bortniansky, Rebikoff, Ilyinsky. There's Medtner, Balakireff, Zolotareff, and Kvoschinsky, and Sokoloff and Kopyloff, Dukelsky, and Klenowsky, and Shostakovitsch, Borodine, Glière, and Nowakofski. And that's about all I can do right now.

[Applause]

Alex: All right. You got 'em all in there. Wonderful. I didn't know there were that many Russian composers.

Alan: Oh, there's more.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jonah found the Daily Double on the 28th clue. Alan had $200, Maryann had $1,800, and Jonah was at $2,800. Jonah wagered $1,600.

THE BOOK'S ORIGINAL LANGUAGE $600: "A Journey to the Center of the Earth"
(Alex: Jules Verne the author.)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE TV CHARACTER IS HAVING A MOMENT $1000: Tony DiNozzo's head demanded constant slapping & Jethro was happy to help on this drama
(Maryann: What is The Beverly Hillbillies?)
(Alan: What is The Sopranos?)

SEARCH TERMS $600: To reconnoiter ahead of a main body, or the soldier who does it
(Jonah: What is recon? Reconnaissance?)

BEJEWELED $800: When dense, black lignite coal takes on a high polish & is used for jewelry, it's called by this high-flying name

BEJEWELED $1000: Seen here, both these gems are vulnerable to scratching; they become adjectives by adding "E-S-C-E-N-T"

DEEP STATE $400: One of Texas' largest colonies of Mexican free-tailed these lives 300+ feet down in Devil's Sinkhole

DEEP STATE $800: We'd have to say the Soudan Underground Lab has the coolest spot in Minnesota--about .01 degrees F. above this

THE BOOK'S ORIGINAL LANGUAGE $1000: "The Pianist", a wartime memoir & the basis for a 2002 film

THE BOOK'S ORIGINAL LANGUAGE $800: "The Name of the Rose"
(Alan: What is Spanish?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jonah: $4,400
Maryann: $1,800
Alan: $200
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, February 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A LONG ELEVATOR RIDE (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"SMALL" TALK (5/5)
THE WEATHER (4/5)
HOW 'BOUT THOSE... (5/5)
HAVE A GREAT ONE! (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
YOU TWO (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alan: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Maryann: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Jonah: 9 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jonah snagged the next Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Alan had $7,800, Maryann had $11,800, and Jonah was at $6,800. Jonah wagered $2,500.

HAVE A GREAT ONE! $1600: This ballet about a feathered creature was Igor Stravinsky's first international success
(Jonah: What is Petrushka?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Alan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Alan had $9,400, Maryann had $11,800, and Jonah was at $7,900. Alan wagered $4,000.

A LONG ELEVATOR RIDE $1600: Even the elevator doors are Art Deco in this skyscraper, whose name honors an automobile builder

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE WEATHER $2000: Around 1806 this British commander drew up a "wind force scale and weather notation"

A LONG ELEVATOR RIDE $400: When it opened in 1902, the Santa Justa lift elevator in Lisbon, Portugal uniquely used this type of power, like the Clermont

A LONG ELEVATOR RIDE $2000: Push the button for floor No. 124 at this tallest building in the world, then gaze out over Dubai, where it's located

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Alan: $13,400
Maryann: $11,800
Jonah: $7,900

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NAME THE NOVEL

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Alan: Wager $10,201 to cover Maryann.
Maryann: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Jonah, hoping that you give the correct response and Alan doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $4,001 to cover Jonah's doubled score, but no more than $8,600 if you want to top Alan on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $3,899 and win if both Alan and Jonah miss Final.
Jonah: If you think Maryann is going to wager to cover you, try wagering less than $100 to beat Alan and Maryann on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Maryann is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager between $3,901 (venusian, to top a $0 wager by Maryann) and $7,900 (martian, which may win in some cases but may also risk dropping you from second to third place if you get Final wrong).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"I collected the instruments of life around me, that I might infuse a spark of being into the lifeless thing that lay at my feet"

FINAL SCORES
Jonah: $7,900 + $7,898 = $15,798 (What is Frankenstein?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Maryann: $11,800 + $4,001 = $15,801 (What is Frankenstein) (New champion: $15,801)
Alan: $13,400 - $10,201 = $3,199 (What is Pinocchio?) (3rd place: $1,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Maryann: $11,800, 14 R, 2 W
Alan: $11,000, 14 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Jonah: $9,400, 18 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $32,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Jonah: 19/60 = .317
Maryann: 15/58 = .259
Alan: 14/59 = .237
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ROCK, PAPER & SCISSORS $600: Diagenesis is the process of forming this type of rock, like sandstone, through compaction & cementation
(Jonah: What is metamorphic?)

DEEP STATE $600: Bryce Canyon National Park in this state is more than 1,000 feet deep and breathtaking

DEEP STATE $1000: To appreciate the wonder of this state's Antelope Canyon, you'll need a Navajo guide

ROCK, PAPER & SCISSORS $800: The U.S. printed its first national paper currency during this war
(Maryann: What is the Revolutionary War?)

ROCK, PAPER & SCISSORS $1000: This French artist called his later works, like the one seen here, drawing with scissors

SEARCH TERMS $800: To search thoroughly, or to clean by hard rubbing
(Alan: What is to scrub?)

SEARCH TERMS $400: To examine a document quickly, or to convert it to digital format
(Alex: With less than a minute.)

HOW 'BOUT THOSE... $2000: Golden State Warriors, who in 2015-16 lost 9 & won a NBA record this many regular-season games
(Jonah: What is 72?)
(Alex: 82 games in a season.)

"SMALL" TALK $1200: Unimportant people or things can be called this, a term for young fish
(Alan: What are guppies?)

THE WEATHER $1600: From the type of plant they resemble, these ice crystals are alliteratively called this type of frost

CORRECT RESPONSES
French
NCIS
scout
jet
opal and pearl
bats
absolute zero
Polish
Italian
The Firebird
the Chrylser Building
Francis Beaufort
steam power
the Burj Khalifa
Frankenstein
sedimentary
Utah
Arizona
the Civil War
Matisse
to scour
to scan
small fry
fern frost
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NAME THE NOVEL

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
“I collected the instruments of life around me, that I might infuse a spark of being into the lifeless thing that lay at my feet”

Alan Harrison: 13400-10201=3199
Maryann Penzvalto: 11800+4001=15801 (New Champ)
Jonah Platt: 7900+7898=15798

Correct response:
Spoiler
Frankenstein (Alan – Pinocchio)

Daily Doubles
Jonah: 2800+1600
Jonah: 6800-2500
Alan: 9400+4000

Coryats
Alan: 11000
Maryann: 11800
Jonah: 9400

Combined: 32,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Alan: 200
Maryann: 1800
Jonah: 4400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex’s walk to shake Maryann’s hand at the end was funny and I watched it more than once. Alex has a great sense of humor and obviously still enjoys his job. And for the pay and work hours who can blame him.

Nice work by Alan to have the lead for the FJ! round after starting the DJ! round with just $200. The third win was there for the taking and it was like turn back the clock to S33 when the leader would miss a gettable clue while the opponents both got it.

I lost my chance at the Hammer swipe (all 12 top box clues correct) thanks to THE BOOK’S ORIGINAL LANGUAGE not finished. Compared to previous games only two clues not played is an improvement.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

If Alan's interview segment was cut in the prior show, he sure made up for it today. Appreciated his energy over the past few games.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Great wager by Maryann! She reminds me of Mary McDonnell.

I enjoyed Alan's interview segment, but I was disappointed that we didn't get to find out what was on Jonah's namesake sandwich.

Editing to add: apparently, Jonah Platt is Ben Platt's younger brother.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Reconnoiter"?!

The Hulk had a TV show?!

Didn't recognize either use of "small fries" in that clue.

Missed only the writers of Chicago in the You Two category.

Saw no way to figure out "Steam" on elevator for $400.

No guess on FJ! Nothing at all seemed to fit.

Lach Trash: NCIS, bats, absolute zero
guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Post by guessonguessonguess »

Jonah was... something.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Art deco skyscraper named for an auto maker, a DD!? It didn't end up mattering (other than costing Maryann a few thousand $$) but DAMN...

Instaget FJ. I think I recognized the quote. Pinocchio wasn't a terrible guess, though it's been long enough since I've seen/read any version of the story that I don't remember how he was brought to life.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I knew Jonah's name was familiar... huh. Alan's interview was awesome. I loved his salute in the intro as well; too bad he couldn't finish the deal tonight. Congrats to our new champ! It looked like she was about to explode with joy at the end.

I felt the J! round was harder and DJ! easier tonight..

Read the book in question last semester. No problem here! :D
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
pretzelgreg
Contributor

Post by pretzelgreg »

Jonah was... something.

sulked a bit at the end, right?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

No, the church organist did not get "All Creatures Great and Small". I don't think we've ever done that hymn at any of the churches I've played for.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $34,600
43 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: opal/pearl; bats; absolute zero; Italian; Francis Beaufort; steam; Burj Khalifa

HUGE mistake by Jonah going to $800 instead of $1600 in A Long Elevator Ride. That was likely the difference between winning and losing. Play the percentages.

FJ! seemed like a WECIB, but Pinocchio was actually a reasonable guess.
xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:32 pm Art deco skyscraper named for an auto maker, a DD!? It didn't end up mattering (other than costing Maryann a few thousand $$) but DAMN...
This. Other severely overvalued clues included smallpox for $1600 given "small," and $2000 for knowing how many games are in an NBA season. Not that I'm complaining. If and when I get The Call, they can overvalue the clues as much as they want.

I'm mad at myself for not trusting my brain. I thought Stravinsky was The Firebird and Tchaikovsky did Swan Lake, but that didn't stop me from missing DD2.
Sprinkles are for winners.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

plenty of trash available: NCIS, scout, jet, bats, absolute zero, Beaufort, Firebird DD (Yes used to open their concerts with an excerpt), steam.
Briefly thought of "The Mortal Instruments" for FJ, but easily sussed "Frankenstein".
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yeah, I suppose if your thinking starts off the wrong way and you ignore the big, flashing neon sign saying "Frankenstein", Pinocchio isn't a bad guess.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

FJ took me a few seconds, but then the correct answer infused a spark of being into my brain fried from an 11 hour day.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 32, W: 2, costing 1800
Coryat: 24,200
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: 1/3
LT: bats, absolute zero, opal & pearl, scout, NCIS, Burj Kalifa

One of my better performances in spite of getting stumped on Have a Great One!

By my notoriously bad counting, there weren't any TS clues in the DJ round until the last two.

I was rather surprised at some of the TSs in the J! round. Identify these two stones? What is really cold? (perhaps the degrees F was confusing) The animal called Mexican Free-Tailed ____? But then again, we all have our strengths and weaknesses. (And not everyone binge watched every NCIS episode last summer!)
--Peter
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

FJ was insta-instaget for me, but yes, Pinnochio is a good guess that didn't come to me.
davey

Post by davey »

Linear Gnome wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:14 pm Great wager by Maryann! She reminds me of Mary McDonnell.

I enjoyed Alan's interview segment, but I was disappointed that we didn't get to find out what was on Jonah's namesake sandwich.

Editing to add: apparently, Jonah Platt is Ben Platt's younger brother.
...and has appeared on Broadway himself, in Wicked...At the end he looked more dejected than Evan Hansen...

It took way too long for the right novel to pop into my head today, but still time to scribble it out...
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:32 pm Instaget FJ. I think I recognized the quote. Pinocchio wasn't a terrible guess, though it's been long enough since I've seen/read any version of the story that I don't remember how he was brought to life.
The block of wood itself was sassy from the get-go.