Monday, February 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, February 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by billiej »

Woof wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:03 pm I got there by asking "what temperature could it be .01 degrees above?" Freezing made no sense in context, leaving nothing else for but absolute zero.
Well, it did leave just plain old "zero", which is what I blurted out. I realized as soon as it came out of my mouth that it must be absolute zero. I wonder if I would've gotten a BMS?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

billiej wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:48 pm
Woof wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:03 pm I got there by asking "what temperature could it be .01 degrees above?" Freezing made no sense in context, leaving nothing else for but absolute zero.
Well, it did leave just plain old "zero", which is what I blurted out. I realized as soon as it came out of my mouth that it must be absolute zero. I wonder if I would've gotten a BMS?
That's a tricky one... zero by itself, without units, can't really be considered a wrong answer since 0[K/R,C,F] are all different.
Unless someone can convincingly argue otherwise, I'd let you have the BMS.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

Was tickled to hear Alan perform "Tchaikovsky" (Lyric by Ira Gershwin) but wonder if he spoke it, rather than singing it, at the behest of the powers that be? The melody is by Kurt Weill; would that incur royalties? But not reciting the lyric?
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Volante wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:57 pm
billiej wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:48 pm
That's a tricky one... zero by itself, without units, can't really be considered a wrong answer since 0[K/R,C,F] are all different.
Unless someone can convincingly argue otherwise, I'd let you have the BMS.
Except the clue gave units (degrees F), so unless otherwise specified, I'd think that would be implied.
davey

Post by davey »

SavoyGirl wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:31 pm Was tickled to hear Alan perform "Tchaikovsky" (Lyric by Ira Gershwin) but wonder if he spoke it, rather than singing it, at the behest of the powers that be? The melody is by Kurt Weill; would that incur royalties? But not reciting the lyric?
I don't know, but since he barely got through it, it's probably just as well.
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

davey wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:32 pm
SavoyGirl wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:31 pm Was tickled to hear Alan perform "Tchaikovsky" (Lyric by Ira Gershwin) but wonder if he spoke it, rather than singing it, at the behest of the powers that be? The melody is by Kurt Weill; would that incur royalties? But not reciting the lyric?
I don't know, but since he barely got through it, it's probably just as well.
It might have been easier to SING it than to recite it.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:55 am My question is... will I get an FJ! right by my birthday (March 10)?
No you won't because March 10th is on a Saturday. ;)
Douglas Squasoni
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:29 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:55 am My question is... will I get an FJ! right by my birthday (March 10)?
No you won't because March 10th is on a Saturday. ;)
*By* his birthday. If he Tweetys this week, he'll still be shutout before his birthday, but he won't have a chance to correct it before the big day.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:21 am OK, MB - I'll take the over at 80% 8-) . Currently 17/19 I think, so it can roll over quickly. And we'll count each Canadian answer at par to the dollar.
Right around 90%. You win.