Tuesday, February 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7707, 2018-02-27

CONTESTANTS
Paul Mitchell Kelleher, a physician from Millington, New Jersey
Amy Finkelstein, an editor from Chicago, Illinois
Maryann Penzvalto, a librarian from Cleveland, Ohio (whose 1-day cash winnings total $15,801)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Welcome, everyone. Many of you have wondered about what the contestants and I talk about at the end of every program. Well, at the end of yesterday's program, we were talking about the dismal start that all three players had experienced. And as a matter of fact, I mentioned that Maryann at one point was in the lead, and she was $200 in the red. Let's hope that today plays out differently with Amy and Paul. Good luck. Here we go. Categories, please...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
OTHER WONDER WOMEN (4/5)
A FRENCH PREPOSITION (4/5)
FUEL FOSSILS (3/5)
"X" IN THE CITY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ZERO (5/5)
TOLERANCE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Maryann: 11 R, 0 W
Amy: 11 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Paul: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Amy found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Maryann had $200, Amy had $400, and Paul had nothing in the bank. Amy wagered $1,000.

"X" IN THE CITY $600: Antony & Cleopatra died there in 30 B.C.
(Alex: Amy?)
(Amy: No. Don't know it.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Maryann: $5,200
Amy: $600
Paul: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Paul Mitchell Kelleher is a physician from New Jersey who's also an art collector. What kind of art are we talking about?

Paul: I like to collect a few regional artists--John Noble from Staten Island and Charles Appel from northern New Jersey.

Alex: All righty.

Alex: Amy Finkelstein from Chicago, Illinois. You've been a Jeopardy! fan for a long time, because when you lived in London, what would your sister do?

Amy: My sister would record the show. My sister Marcy would record it and play it slowly and read the clues to me over the phone so we could play Jeopardy!, because I couldn't watch it while I was living in London.

Alex: That is a good sister. Yes.

Alex: Maryann Penzvalto from Cleveland. You once watched Italy win the World Cup, but you weren't in a sports bar. You were in a very different kind of place. Tell us.

Maryann: I was. I was in a convent in Rome. So in 2006, I had the opportunity to go to Rome for about a month, and the cheapest place to stay was in a convent. And these little old Italian nuns were glued to the little television in the convent, and when Italy won, they were screaming, they were jumping up and down. It was the best place I could have watched it.

Alex: Obviously the nuns had not made a vow of silence.

Maryann: That's correct.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OTHER WONDER WOMEN $800: This colorful sorceress sided with the Captain in "Captain America: Civil War"

A FRENCH PREPOSITION $1000: This 3-word term for "face to face" is generally used in English for comparisons

FUEL FOSSILS $400: Atlantic Refining & Richfield Petroleum are no more; in 1966 they merged to create the company known by this acronym

FUEL FOSSILS $600: What was formerly a Gilmore oil field in this city is now the Farmers' Market, a tourist attraction at 3rd & Fairfax

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Maryann: $7,000
Amy: $4,000
Paul: $2,600
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
GIVING YOU THE EARTH & THE MOON (1/3, including 1 missed Daily Double)
RATING SYSTEMS (2/5)
THE FEDERALIST PAPERS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
TV SPIN-OFFS (4/5) (Alex: We'll give you the TV spin-off, you name the source show.)
LITERARY HOMES (4/5)
HOW ARE "THINGS"? (4/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Maryann: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Amy: 5 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W
Paul: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 6 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Maryann snagged the next Daily Double on the 8th clue. Maryann had $8,200, Amy had $7,200, and Paul was at $2,600. Maryann wagered $3,000.

THE FEDERALIST PAPERS $1600: Federalist 74 said, "The dread of being accused of... connivance" would keep presidents from abusing this power
(Maryann: What is executive power?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Paul who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Maryann had $9,600, Amy had $6,400, and Paul was at $5,000. Paul wagered $600.

GIVING YOU THE EARTH & THE MOON $1200: Latin name for the large, dark lunar plains that early observers thought were seas
(Alex: Paul?)
(Paul: What are plateaus?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV SPIN-OFFS $400: "The Flash"
(Amy: What is The Green Arrow?)
(Paul: What is Superman?)

THE FEDERALIST PAPERS $2000: Each of the paper was signed with this Roman name, perhaps derived from a word meaning "people
(Maryann: What is Patroclus?)

LITERARY HOMES $2000: In a Henry James novel, Catherine Sloper's fictional home is on this real Manhattan square

RATING SYSTEMS $800: The first person to have 2 restaurants earn this top Michelin rating was Eugenie Brazier
(Maryann: What is a Michelin star?)
(Paul: What is four stars?)
(Amy: What is five stars?)

RATING SYSTEMS $1600: AAA rates hotels with these items--5 of them signifies ultimate luxury

RATING SYSTEMS $2000: The Little Man system for reviewing movies has been used by this Bay Area paper for years

GIVING YOU THE EARTH & THE MOON $2000: Mons Huygens, the moon's tallest peak, is in this lunar range; Monte Corno is the tallest in the earthly one

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Maryann: $9,600
Amy: $6,400
Paul: $4,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICANA

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds (exactly) for first place.
Maryann: Wager $3,200 for the tie. Amy has cause to bet either nothing or everything, and you can't afford to lose by $1 to a nothing bet.
Amy: Normally in this scenario you would wager all or nothing, but in this case a $0 wager isn't an optimal option because it doesn't cover Paul's doubled score. Wager all $6,400.
Paul: You do have some slim hope of taking 1st place, and it's most likely to happen in the event that you're the only one to respond correctly to Final. Wager between $2,001 and $4,399.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 1931 story in the New Yorker said this "weighs 600,000,000 pounds (&)... contains 37,000,000 cubic feet"

FINAL SCORES
Paul: $4,400 + $4,300 = $8,700 (What is the Empire State Building) (2nd place: $2,000)
Amy: $6,400 - $6,300 = $100 (What is the Statue of Liberty?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Maryann: $9,600 + $3,201 = $12,801 (What is the Empire State Building) (2-day champion: $28,602)
(Alex: There's a bit of a trap in this clue. The date was very important.)
(Alex: [To Paul] That's when it was built, and they were writing about it at that time.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Maryann: $12,600, 18 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Amy: $7,400, 16 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Paul: $5,000, 9 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $25,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Maryann: 19/59 = .322
Amy: 16/59 = .271
Paul: 10/59 = .169
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"X" IN THE CITY $800: It's the state capital whose official flag is seen here

OTHER WONDER WOMEN $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents an acronym on the monitor.) Saying "Shazam!" gave Mary Batson godly powers; "S" for Selena, "H" for Hippolyta, "A" for Ariadne, "Z" for Zephyrus, "A" for Aurora, and "M" for this wise Roman goddess

OTHER WONDER WOMEN $1000: In the "X-Men" film universe, Sophie Turner played young Jean Grey, while she plays the grown-up

TOLERANCE $1000: This Frenchman's 1734 "Lettres Philosophiques" argues in favor of religious tolerance
(Alex: With less than a minute to go.)

FUEL FOSSILS $200: In the United States, Esso stations like the one here are a thing of the past; in 1972, Esso became this 5-letter brand

FUEL FOSSILS $1000: Here's a gas station in the '20s, when they were called this kind of station, from what attendants did at the pump

THE FEDERALIST PAPERS $800: Federalist 56 argued that one member for every 30,000 people in a state would work for this body
(Paul: What is Congress?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)
(Paul: What is... ah.)

TV SPIN-OFFS $2000: "Vanderpump Rules", on Bravo
(Paul: What is Housewives of Beverly Hills?)

LITERARY HOMES $400: "Rebecca" begins, "Last night I dreamt I went to" this home "again"
(Paul: What is Mandelay?)

RATING SYSTEMS $400: Shown here is this number of the Wong-Baker faces scale for pain, the worst one

RATING SYSTEMS $1200: In 2016, this brand changed its product rating icons to make them more colorful & easier to read

HOW ARE "THINGS"? $2000: Yeats used this 3-word phrase before "the center cannot hold"; Chinua Achebe used it as a title
(Amy: What is a thing divided?)

HOW ARE "THINGS"? $800: I.O.T. stands for this, when all your devices are connected
(Alex: With less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Alexandria
the Scarlet Witch
vis-a-vis
ARCO
Los Angeles
pardon
maria
Arrow
Publius
Washington Square
three stars
diamonds
the San Francisco Chronicle
the Apennines
the Empire State Building
Phoenix
Minerva
Famke Janssen
Voltaire
Exxon
a filling station
the House of Representatives
The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
Manderley
Consumer Reports
things fall apart
the Internet of Things
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICANA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A 1931 story in the New Yorker said this “weighs 600,000,000 pounds (&)…contains 37,000,000 cubic feet”

Maryann Penzvalto: 9600+3201=12801 (2x = $28,602)
Amy Finkelstein: 6400-6300=100
Paul Mitchell Kelleher: 4400+4300=8700

Correct response:
Spoiler
Empire State Building (Amy – Statue of Liberty)

Daily Doubles
Amy: 400-1000
Maryann: 8200-3000
Paul: 5000-600

Coryats
Maryann: 12600
Amy: 7400
Paul: 5000

Combined: 25,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Maryann: 7000
Amy: 4000
Paul: 2600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I got the right place for DD1 while realizing a Vegas hotel name has the X as well for a possible miss.

After Maryann added the name to go with Alexander Hamilton and John Jay she did a wave. Is that something related to the musical, Hamilton, or perhaps an alma mater thing?

The players were 2/6 on the big clues with Amy the only one to go 0/2 as she fell into what Alex called “a bit of a trap.” I did not anticipate that response until Alex mentioned trap and then I knew that someone must have gone that way.

More helpful to me was DD3 yesterday to make sure I had the right place today.

Maryann was the best of the three players and sometimes that is enough even when it’s not the greatest of games. Some of Paul’s responses seem to trigger some edits, so it may not have been the smoothest game for production either.

If a player wears a ribbon I like to know the reason. Purple ribbon Paul looked like some of the people at the SotU who had them on for awareness about the opioid epidemic. Paul is a physician and that color ribbon seems to cover a whole bunch of medical conditions.
evanakm
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by evanakm »

Yipes... I said the Pentagon. In hindsight, "New Yorker" was sort of a TOM, but not really. The New Yorker is a ubiquitous enough publication that I don't think it necessarily implies anything New York-based.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $33,600
41 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Alexandria (DD), ARCO, Los Angeles, pardon power (DD), Publius, three stars, diamonds, San Francisco Chronicle

I thought the real trap on FJ! was the Chrysler Building. The Statue of Liberty is large for a statue, but not to the degree that a newspaper would marvel at its weight and volume.

I was about to criticize the last DD, but it turns out I completely missed the "Latin term" information at the beginning of the clue. D'oh!

I wonder if any of the contestants decided to hit the Farmers Market before heading out of town. It's down the street from CBS Television City, and it makes for a pretty fun day when paired with a taping of The Price Is Right.
Sprinkles are for winners.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

My husband had Hoover Dam for FJ.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

evanakm wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:46 pm In hindsight, "New Yorker" was sort of a TOM, but not really. The New Yorker is a ubiquitous enough publication that I don't think it necessarily implies anything New York-based.
Not "necessarily" perhaps, but since there are a zillion things (or at least two or three) the answer could be, it is probably good odds to assume that it is meant to help.

I had an advantage over most in being from New York and talking about this stuff a lot, but compared to the Chrysler building, Empire State is more famous for having been the tallest for a long time (King Kong and all), and compared to the GW bridge (opening the same year as the ESB), easier to conceive in terms of cubic feet.

I was a little bit nervous about the Hoover Dam.
I'm smart and I want respect.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:56 pm I thought the real trap on FJ! was the Chrysler Building.
Thankfully, it showed up as DD3 yesterday.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:42 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:56 pm I thought the real trap on FJ! was the Chrysler Building.
Thankfully, it showed up as DD3 yesterday.
That certainly helped me lock in on ESB.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

My initial thought was actually the Hindenburg, then I took a closer look at the numbers and realized they were way too big. Alas, I still fell into the Statue of Liberty trap.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran "X" in the City.

What was the TOM for Maryland in Tolerance for $200?

I was disappointed that Fuel Fossils wasn't entirely defunct gas brands, because I'd have run it.

Rebecca = Manderley seemed insanely obscure in the top box. I recognize neither the book, novel, nor place, and none has more than a couple hits in the Archive. Possible poll request?

I was completely lost on this clue. Nothing I could think of fit the category "Americana". Weight had me thinking the weight of gold in Fort Knox, but New Yorker was negating that. When he said there was a trap, I wondered what the trap could even be.

Lach Trash: Arco, diamonds
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Home court advantage to be sure, but super-instaget, just from '1931' alone. It and the Chrysler building were completed less than a year apart, so that would've been an actual trap, but as mentioned, it was used yesterday. The Statue of Liberty is huge, but...600 million pounds? Gotta be a building.

I wonder how many more times we'll see that Green Arrow mistake.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:37 pm600 million pounds? Gotta be a building.
[citation needed]
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The Maryland clue mentioned Lord Baltimore.

I started with the right building but decided the Statue of Liberty was more Americanaish.

Trapper John MD was (legally) a spin-off of the movie version of MASH, not the TV show.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:37 pm 600 million pounds? Gotta be a building.
The Hoover Dam was my guess, after considering the Empire State. Weight: 6,600,000 tons, or 13.2 billion pounds.

A native New Yorker is someone who walks past the Empire State Building, and doesn't look up.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:11 pm Trapper John MD was (legally) a spin-off of the movie version of MASH, not the TV show.
How so?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I thought the "trap" would be the Titanic and if people didn't pay attention to the year. Nothing else but Empire State Building was even on the radar.
Judges: "mares" for "maria" on the last DD?
trash: Alexandria DD (ran the category), Scarlet Witch, vis-a-vis, Arrow, pardon DD, Publius
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

For whatever reason, I thought "weight" precluded buildings and I whizzed past Empire State Building and MSG as not making sense. I said "Staten Island Ferry" just to say something, but that didn't fill big or iconic enough.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

29/30 R
DD: 1/3 (Alexandria)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Alexandria), Vis-A-Vis, Apennines *Had I noticed the Monte Corno part.*

Other of my gets include William Gibson, Howards End, and Things Fall Apart.

Ran "X" In The City.
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Douglas Squasoni