Friday, March 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, March 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

Our logic does funny things when we're trying to brainstorm in thirty seconds, so no offense intended, but the idea of bats echolocating while deaf is making my mind reel.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:19 pm Our logic does funny things when we're trying to brainstorm in thirty seconds, so no offense intended, but the idea of bats echolocating while deaf is making my mind reel.
Sometimes two stupids make a smart :lol: . And if that ever happens, I'll pile on an extra stupid :roll: I did add the "echo" TOM with the posting as I didn't process it at crunch time. I couldn't think of any animal named bands, not even the Eagles. I did think Oz had a shot at qualifying for the 8 albums but knew just beheading bats wouldn't pin him to their mascot.
Now I'll have to figure it out - bats are blind, not deaf? duh. I know who's dumb.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:31 pm Now I'll have to figure it out - bats are blind, not deaf?
That's what they say, but they're wrong. Some bats are largely reliant on echolocation to hunt, but all bats have working eyes (well, by default, anyway; I'm sure some bats are blind, but not as a rule).
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:34 pm I'll admit, when he guessed Heckler & Koch instead of a rottweiler, I lost it. I didn't stop laughing for 3 or 4 clues, but he recovered nicely for the lock, so all's well that ends well.

At least he got FJ, unlike me. OF COURSE it's deaf leopard (that's a pun a 5 year old could make, so I have no idea how they stumbled onto such a perfect name if they weren't thinking of the band). The Eagles? What's wrong with you/me? There goes a perfectly good streak too. This one will piss me off for a while.
FJ! was a major headslapper. Obvious in retrospect.

For the previous clue, you and anyone else reading this have my permission to point and laugh at me for my response of "dachshund". It's a dog and it fits the category, right?
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:15 pm Boardies - The FJ answer is a play on words with "def" and "deaf"! Oh, you got it? Yeah me too after reading 15 posts :roll:
Thank you for making me feel better. I had to read 4 or 5 posts to figure that out. :oops: ;)
--Peter
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Chalk another one up for Eagles. Knew it was likely wrong. Def Leppard was so obvious in retrospect. At least my wife got it tonight.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:12 pm that dude sux with the pronunciation of most things asian, but yet chastises most when they botch words from his precious french language...can't wait til that dude retires
I personally don't mind Alex correcting contestants on their French pronunciation, as it's clear he knows the language well, but what I find really funny is when he does the same with Russian...despite his OWN pronunciation being terrible and off the mark.

Anywho, props to the new champion Matt, who looked very strong in his debut. Have no idea why he bet only $1200 on his second DD, by the way; he was confident enough to bet $3500 on his first one, but on the second, on a second-row clue in a category he acquitted himself very well in, he won't bet the maximum of $2500?

Luckily for him, he still made the lock by $900, but missed out on an additional $3,600 in earnings thanks to the error.

Oh, and I went with The Eagles, too. Such a wonderfully generic sports name!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:37 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:31 pm Now I'll have to figure it out - bats are blind, not deaf?
That's what they say, but they're wrong. Some bats are largely reliant on echolocation to hunt, but all bats have working eyes (well, by default, anyway; I'm sure some bats are blind, but not as a rule).
From what I was just reading, there are two groups of bats. Micro- and mega-. The microbats use echolocation and generally do have poor eyesight (but nothing close to blind). The megabats (fruit bats, mostly) generally do not use echolocation and have eyesight on-par with -- and sometimes better than -- humans.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

32 R
DD: 1/3 (Johns-Hopkins)
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Elton John, (Johns-Hopkins), Auguste Rodin, Constantin Brancusi, Sharp, Philippines, Chiang Kai-Shek

Ran Sculpture.

Said Dachshund for Daily Double Two.
Douglas Squasoni
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:53 pm I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that dhkendall got tonight's FJ! correct.
You remembered! I’m impressed! (Normally people only say that if there’s a flag or anthem category/clue)

Yes not only as a huge Def Leppard fan (Rick Allen is the best drummer ever and I will fight anyone who disagrees) but a huge fan of bad humour and puns this fact crossed my radar a few years ago and stayed with me because it’s so awesome.

[citation needed] for Alex’s claim they weren’t thinking of the band when it was named though.
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:53 pm So if I asked "are you gettin' it?" you'd have to say you were two steps behind?

I'll let myself out.
I think I have a new favourite boardie. 😍
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
davey

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:35 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:53 pm I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that dhkendall got tonight's FJ! correct.
You remembered! I’m impressed! (Normally people only say that if there’s a flag or anthem category/clue)

Yes not only as a huge Def Leppard fan (Rick Allen is the best drummer ever and I will fight anyone who disagrees) but a huge fan of bad humour and puns this fact crossed my radar a few years ago and stayed with me because it’s so awesome.

[citation needed] for Alex’s claim they weren’t thinking of the band when it was named though....

The Arkansas School for the Deaf has used the Leopards as a mascot since at least 1941, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported, well before Def Leppard formed in 1977. Still, the similarity in the names has been a running joke for years.

http://blogs.edweek.org/teachers/teachi ... ansas.html
The original Democrat-Gazette article doesn't appear to be available for free-
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2016 ... o-arkansa/
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I must say that I'm greatly relieved reading the thread this morning after I tanked that FJ. A 2/3 get, and it seemed so obvious in retrospect, I thought everyone had gotten it. Glad to see I wasn't alone. Count me among the Eagles.

When was the last time DJ had the 2 DDs in the second row? That was pretty surprising.
billiej

Post by billiej »

Yes not only as a huge Def Leppard fan... but a huge fan of bad humour and puns...
Same. As soon as I heard rock band, deaf, animal....I was done!

What's funny is with the category I thought for sure it would be easy for my bf and I requested he stay quiet to see if I could get it. Then I ended up being the one to squirm excitedly for 28 seconds as he struggled lol!
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:15 pmSo I thought about deaf animals and used the chain logic I see here sometimes:

deaf animal => bats
echo => bats (echolocation)
Ozzie Osbourne eats bats
OO is a musician
Are you the twin brother I never knew I had? I had this exact chain of logic, then got to the end and thought "wow, there is just so much wrong with this". At the 29th second I virtual-scribbled "beetles" (The Beatles) just to have something.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"The AKC calls this German import 'an inherent protector'."

I totally failed to process "AKC" in the clue and was trying to remember what "inherent" meant.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:14 am When was the last time DJ had the 2 DDs in the second row? That was pretty surprising.
When I see a 2nd row or even 3rd row DD, I start salivating as if the dealer has a 4 up and I can split a pair of 8's. But - I haven't noticed that the clues are proportionate to the row value. And sometimes bottom box DD's are softballs, even factoring in my strengths and weaknesses. The dog clue was probably easy enough, but once the clue said "German", I couldn't clear the German Shepherd brain detour (I think they are Swiss? and also the clue said half the name so I knew it was wrong).

Filtering out anecdotal gets and misses, is there any consensus that clue position is proportionate for DD placement? It seems more like they are just placed strategically to let the players get a few bucks and the vibe of the category. Apologize in advance if this is a well worn thread item, but since this game had an outlier for clue placement, it seems topical.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

billiej wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:58 am
Yes not only as a huge Def Leppard fan... but a huge fan of bad humour and puns...
Same. As soon as I heard rock band, deaf, animal....I was done!

What's funny is with the category I thought for sure it would be easy for my bf and I requested he stay quiet to see if I could get it. Then I ended up being the one to squirm excitedly for 28 seconds as he struggled lol!
me too...i am pretty versed in university mascots...was disappointed in that one.....know just about every ncaa division 1 mascot...even the little guys...try this quiz out...my high is 204/207

https://www.jetpunk.com/user-quizzes/11 ... team-names
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

A few years ago at work (I work in a used record store) we had some fun and made a list of bands named after animals. There's a lot of them. Here's an online list: https://www.ranker.com/list/bands-with- ... nker-music
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I misread the clue at first and put Quiet Riot. I figured out they wanted the mascot halfway through but never got anywhere.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:21 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:15 pmSo I thought about deaf animals and used the chain logic I see here sometimes:

deaf animal => bats
echo => bats (echolocation)
Ozzie Osbourne eats bats
OO is a musician
Are you the twin brother I never knew I had? I had this exact chain of logic, then got to the end and thought "wow, there is just so much wrong with this". At the 29th second I virtual-scribbled "beetles" (The Beatles) just to have something.
Is that you, Rastus? I've looked everywhere including mental institutions and prisons before I hit rock bottom and joined this board :lol: Are you taking good care of your liver and kidneys? Just wondering :twisted: