Wednesday, December 28, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 28, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6278, 2011-12-28

Jason Keller game 9.

CONTESTANTS
Lesley Tsina, a comedy writer from Los Angeles, California
Patrick Rostock, a fulfillment manager from Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Jason Keller, a tutor from Highland Park, New Jersey (whose 8-day cash winnings total $202,100)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny, and welcome, everyone. In case you missed it, when Jason made his first appearance on our program, we discovered that he'd been trying out for the show for 16 years. 16. Well, he, uh--the wait was certainly worth it with, uh, all the money he's accumulated so far. Lesley and Patrick, welcome. Pick up your signaling devices. You are about to go to work in the Jeopardy! Round, this round, and here are your categories. First, we're gonna be going...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AROUND THE FARM (5/5)
MONSTERS OF ROCK (5/5)
UNCOMMON BONDS (4/5)
"NEW" U.S. CITIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
POTPOURRI (5/5)
DOUBLE DOUBLE LETTERS (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Patrick: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Jason: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Lesley: 8 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Jason had $1,200, Patrick was scoreless, and Lesley was at $800. Jason made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

"NEW" U.S. CITIES $1000: Somewhat ironically, this Connecticut city was attacked, captured & burned by the British in 1781

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jason: $4,800
Lesley: $1,200
Patrick: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. This past summer, my family and I visited the beautiful city of Prague in Europe. Lesley Tsina, you're from Los Angeles, but you once visited Prague and then had to go to Berlin, and you got there how?

Lesley: By taxi.

Alex: Why c--taxi? That's...

Lesley: I was traveling with a friend who had a nonrefundable ticket the next day. We missed the train, and it was the only way we could think of to get home in time.

Alex: How much did it cost?

Lesley: I don't remember, but I had per diem from a job, and the guy actually got so angry at us for taking so long that he left us at the border and said, "I leave you to my German colleagues."

Alex: [Chuckles] The joys of traveling.

Alex: Patrick Rostock from Fort Lauderdale, Florida. There are always consequences to our actions. In college, you decided to, uh, become a hippie and to go without what for a while?

Patrick: I went--I went without shoes for a semester. I thought, uh, you know, free your feet and your mind will follow and, uh, took a chance on it and, uh, ended up burning my feet very badly. [Chuckles]

Alex: On what? Wh--

Patrick: Uh, the--the asphalt. I went to college in Orlando. [Chuckles]

Alex: Yeah, you would have burned your feet on the sand also, you know that?

Patrick: Very true.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Jason Keller is our champ. He's a tutor and a tutor who likes to snowshoe.

Jason: Yes.

Alex: And where do you get to do this?

Jason: Uh, in Colorado, actually. In the Vail and Beaver Creek areas, there are reserved areas, reserved trails for cross-country skiers and snowshoers.

Alex: Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
DOUBLE DOUBLE LETTERS $1000: In 1903 Sherlock Holmes retired to Sussex to take up this "busy" hobby

UNCOMMON BONDS $800: From 1900 to 1909 Sir Robert Bond was prime minister of this British colony, now the newest Canadian province

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Patrick: $7,400
Lesley: $4,200
Jason: $3,800

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE HOST WITH THE MOST (4/5)
6-SYLLABLE WORDS (3/5)
AUTHORS NOT WRITING (4/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CENTERS OF POWER (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ORANGE YOU HUNGRY? (4/5)
THIS... IS... HEGEMONY! (4/5) [Johnny Gilbert reads the category name with lots of echo effect.]

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jason: 13 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Patrick: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Lesley: 2 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jason snagged the next Daily Double on the 17th clue. Jason had $11,800, Patrick had $12,200, and Lesley was at $2,600. Jason wagered $5,000.

CENTERS OF POWER $1600: (Alex reports from aboard the Maid of the Mist at Niagara Falls.) The huge hydroelectric potential of the falls led to a war of inventors; it was only settled when Westinghouse was given the right to build the A.C. generators that were designed & patented by this man
(Alex: [*]'s right, yes! Oh, my gosh, that was good. Way to go!)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Patrick who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Jason had $18,400, Patrick had $18,600, and Lesley was at $1,400. Patrick wagered $3,000.

AUTHORS NOT WRITING $1600: In WWII he flew 60 combat missions as a bombardier with the U.S. Army Air Forces in Europe

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ORANGE YOU HUNGRY? $1200: Orange chicken is the most popular item at this restaurant founded by Andrew Cherng
(Jason: What is P.F. Chang's?)

THE HOST WITH THE MOST $1200: Chris Harrison,
2002-present

THIS... IS... HEGEMONY! $1600: In October 1919 he reorganized his political party, the Kuomintang, & was communism's rival for power in China
(Jason: Who is Chiang Kai-shek?)
(Alex: The man who preceded Chiang Kai-shek--[*].)

6-SYLLABLE WORDS $1200: Heidegger espoused this philosophy that stresses individual choice
(Lesley: What is... individualism?)

6-SYLLABLE WORDS $1600: To have an insufficient amount of startup cash for a business enterprise

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Patrick: $21,600
Jason: $18,400
Lesley: $2,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BUSINESS HISTORY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Patrick: Wager $15,201 to cover Jason, but no more than $16,399 so as not to fall behind Lesley's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $10,001.
Jason: Since you're within 4/5ths of Patrick's score, you should wager between $6,401 (venusian) and $12,000 (martian), beating Patrick's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores.
Lesley: Too bad for you, Lesley, your score is less than Patrick's score minus Jason's score. Unless they both commit an egregious wagering error, you've no hope of moving into first place. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Crosby, Sinatra & Hope starred in the October 13, 1957 CBS-TV special that launched this short-lived product

FINAL SCORES
Lesley: $2,600 + $2,598 = $5,198 (What is the Edsel) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jason: $18,400 - $6,600 = $11,800 (What is... Toronto) (9-day champion: $213,900)
Patrick: $21,600 - $16,499 = $5,101 (What was the A) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Jason: [upon reveal of his response] If you can't be right--)
(Alex: Wait a minute.)
(Jason: --be funny, right? [Chuckles])
(Alex: This short-lived product--Toronto?)
(Alex: [To Jason] Those lucky orange boxer shorts you wore today helped you.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Patrick: $20,200, 20 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Jason: $14,800, 22 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Lesley: $2,600, 10 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $37,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Jason: 22/60 = .367
Patrick: 20/59 = .339
Lesley: 11/58 = .190
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AROUND THE FARM $800: Like the ones seen here, it's a maintained wetland used for farming, especially where rice is grown

POTPOURRI $600: The actress seen here, a star in Hong Kong & then on American TV, goes by this 1-letter last name
(Alex: Maggie [*].)

POTPOURRI $1000: Royal Botanical Gardens of southwest London
(Jason: What is Kensington Gardens?)
(Alex: And that was the, uh, link in that entire potpourri category--the "U" sound.)

THE HOST WITH THE MOST $2000: Ed McMahon,
1983-1995
(Lesley: What is TV's Bloopers & Practical Jokes?)

6-SYLLABLE WORDS $2000: When a man sees a woman only as a thing serving his needs, not as a person, that's this process
(Alex: You got it, with less than a minute to go now.)

AUTHORS NOT WRITING $1200: She taught at Howard University before writing "Song of Solomon"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
New London
beekeeping
Newfoundland
Tesla
Joseph Heller
Panda Express
The Bachelor
Sun Yat-sen
existentialism
undercapitalize
the Edsel
a paddy
Q.
the Kew Gardens
Star Search
objectification
Toni Morrison

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Wednesday, December 28, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall »

If anyone has often said why I think Jason has become a (now 9-day) champ primarily due to luck, today's Final result should demonstrate a bit why I feel that way.

(And, vellore, to answer your post in another thread, yes, Jason has a lot of exceptionalities about him, and I will agree first and foremost is his buzzer finger, I have no qualms about labelling him a "buzzer monster", but a lot of the stuff that you say makes him special (knowledge, Daily Double knack, language) are what any contestant should have if they wish to do well in the game. Very few people have made it to be a nine-day champ (I think there's only two people with more wins now), and several with abilities as great as his or better have won less games (or not even won at all). The man has a lucky horseshoe or something ... )

And I wish I was playing this game, firstly to just have the pleasure of saying "I'd like a Double Double for $200, Alex" and it be my own little in-joke (well, Canadians would get it too), and for the opportunity to say, for one of the DJ clues, "WHAT ... IS ... SPARTA!!!!"
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

What a game! Even Mr. Trebek seemed more "into it" than usual, judging by his reactions to the two Double Jeopardy Daily Doubles.
Did anyone else say "Tang" without thinking twice about it, on this clue?: "A Kraft favorite debuted in 1937 containing this food in orange powder form." I looked it up, and Tang was formulated in 1957, by a General Foods scientist. But Kraft owns the brand now!

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

thejeopardyfan wrote:Did anyone else say "Tang" without thinking twice about it, on this clue?: "A Kraft favorite debuted in 1937 containing this food in orange powder form." I looked it up, and Tang was formulated in 1957, by a General Foods scientist. But Kraft owns the brand now!
Yo. (Had more than my usual number of "engage mouth before brain" responses at home, surprised I still managed to clear 21K in Coryat)

BTW, for Final, hate to sound like a TPH clone, but hadn't a fricking clue. Not. A. One. (Wouldn't have thought of a TV show introducing a car, despite all those shows I watch that were, say "Brought to you by your DeSoto-Plymouth dealers")
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Kinda surprised that wasn't a triple-get. I had it about 5 seconds into the music.

And yes, I stand by my "no better than silver" assessment.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:BTW, for Final, hate to sound like a TPH clone, but hadn't a fricking clue. Not. A. One. (Wouldn't have thought of a TV show introducing a car, despite all those shows I watch that were, say "Brought to you by your DeSoto-Plymouth dealers")
Not just a TV show, but its own TV show: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Edsel_Show :)

xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

dhkendall wrote:
thejeopardyfan wrote:Did anyone else say "Tang" without thinking twice about it, on this clue?: "A Kraft favorite debuted in 1937 containing this food in orange powder form." I looked it up, and Tang was formulated in 1957, by a General Foods scientist. But Kraft owns the brand now!
Yo. (Had more than my usual number of "engage mouth before brain" responses at home, surprised I still managed to clear 21K in Coryat)

BTW, for Final, hate to sound like a TPH clone, but hadn't a fricking clue. Not. A. One. (Wouldn't have thought of a TV show introducing a car, despite all those shows I watch that were, say "Brought to you by your DeSoto-Plymouth dealers")
I BARELY stopped myself from saying Tang, so nope, not alone.

FJ...yeah, ok. Noted for future reference, but no hope in hell. Wasted almost the entire time trying to find some connection between those 3 entertainers and an old product; I guess I just should've taken a WAG at something short-lived (and like you, probably wouldn't have thought of a car) :shrug:

legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

I got the Edsel and the Beekeeping/Sherlock Holmes($1K Double Double letters) clues as they were referenced in the page a day Trivia calendar for 2012 that Workman Publishing has been publishing for about 30 years, which I thumbed through today. At least Jason didn't go all in from second place which some people do, he'd have lost if he did. Scores were $18400 Jason, Patrick $21600, and Lesley $2600. Lesley gets FJ! right and wagers $2598 for $5198, Jason gets it wrong(saying Toronto in honor of the Watson US Cities response in FJ! last season) and wagers $6600 for $11800, and Patrick gets it wrong with no response, wagering, instead of the most likely bet $15001, which would keep Lesley out of winning range, wagers $16499 and ends up with $5101. If Jason went all in, Lesley would have won.
Last edited by legendneverdies on Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

1. I know we've been over this before, but Newfoundland is not Canada's newest province.
2. Do people in the U.S. not queue? I know we do in Canada. It is not something that (only) Brits do.
3. I got Edsel fairly quickly, but it was by no means an instaget.
4. @dhkendall: $200 for a double-double!?!!?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by Tehshigelisok »

16/30, 13/29.

Sixth day in a row that we fail to clear DJ! WHAT is the deal here?!
dhkendall wrote:and for the opportunity to say, for one of the DJ clues, "WHAT ... IS ... SPARTA!!!!"
I did just that. In fact, when I saw Leonidas and 300 in the clue, that was all I needed.

As for $400 and $800 though — I can never keep any other empire straight. What TOMs am I looking for there?

Also, barring a total ex-recto, how would you get carrots on Orange for $2000?

On hosts for $1200, I jokingly said "What is a show I have no interest in watching?" When it came up as a TS and Alex said "The Bachelor", I said, "Told ya."

I was totally lost on FJ! too. Kept thinking of the usual 1950s TV sponsors: cigarettes, food/drink products, gas/oil companies (e.g. Texaco Star Theater). Nothing was coming to me, so I just gave up.
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Tehshigelisok wrote:Also, barring a total ex-recto, how would you get carrots on Orange for $2000?
There may be others, but I can think of exactly one orange vegetable.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

Tehshigelisok

Post by Tehshigelisok »

bpmod wrote:
Tehshigelisok wrote:Also, barring a total ex-recto, how would you get carrots on Orange for $2000?
There may be others, but I can think of exactly one orange vegetable.

Brian
Ah, that's it. I didn't see vegetable in the clue. Also, at $2000, I wasn't expecting something so simple.

Is it just me, or are they putting a LOT of softballs on the bottom tier lately?

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

1) Large number of audible off-screen reactions (I believe they were Jason).
2) Some weird splice where Lesley was never ruled correct or incorrect on a clue.
3) Alex's over-enthusiastic response after Jason got the DD correct.
4) Edsel was an insta-get.
5) I have no idea how they didn't clear the board -- that was quite a fast pace they were going at.

I think I have two "issues" with Jason -- it was hard to watch those first few games and really think of him as being a strong player. I've always said luck is a major component of a Jeopardy victory, and he certainly has it in spades. And after having watched Boomie going home with "only" two wins, I get the nagging feeling that Boomie would have beaten Jason rather soundly, so it was hard seeing going home so quickly while Jason keeps going and going and going. That being said, it couldn't happen to a nicer-seeming, humble guy. It's really tough to root against him.

StevenH

Post by StevenH »

I have never heard of an "Edsel," but I feel like I should have known it.

As I said in the thread for yesterday's game, the biggest weakness in Jason's game is in his strategy. I feel confident saying that his knowledge base is more than good enough to win a ToC, and that there have been ToC winners with knowledge bases that were a good two notches below Jason's. I would still like to see Jason hunt for Daily Doubles before there is one category left on the board and make larger wagers on them when he finds them, though I suppose not finding the last Daily Double in this game actually helped him. I agree that he is good on the buzzer, but I wouldn't call him a "buzzer monster" like Ken Jennings or Chris Miller.

Jason is now tied for third with Dan Pawson on the list of contestants with most regular wins. Jason's games have been similar to Dan's in that he has dodged a few bullets, but on the whole I think his run has been more impressive than Dan's was. Luck is going to be a factor for any contestant who reaches the 5 win mark, and I would say that Jason was only "lucky" in 3 of his 9 wins. I would go so far as to say that Jason hasn't been any luckier than Jennings or Madden were in their runs up to this point. I think that we all remember Ken's close first game, but how many of you remember him getting away with one in FJ in his fifth game? http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1552

StevenH

Post by StevenH »

alietr wrote:5) I have no idea how they didn't clear the board -- that was quite a fast pace they were going at.
I have noticed that the boards have seemed not to be cleared lately, despite the fact that most of the games seem to be going at a fast pace. I have been meaning to ask if anyone else has noticed this.

Tehshigelisok

Post by Tehshigelisok »

StevenH

That looks familiar. :mrgreen:

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

StevenH wrote:I have never heard of an "Edsel," but I feel like I should have known it.
OK...
I would go so far as to say that Jason hasn't been any luckier than Jennings or Madden were in their runs up to this point.
So... winning from a near-lock is lucky? I don't think we have the same definition of lucky. To say that Ken was lucky in the sense that "it was pure luck that nobody caught him (for some number of 74 games) when he didn't quite have a lock" is ... well ... I can't imagine what it is.

Brian

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

StevenH wrote:
alietr wrote:5) I have no idea how they didn't clear the board -- that was quite a fast pace they were going at.
I have noticed that the boards have seemed not to be cleared lately, despite the fact that most of the games seem to be going at a fast pace. I have been meaning to ask if anyone else has noticed this.
Every. Damn. Day.

I've seen them get through some pretty excruciating rounds, chock full of Oprah video clues and TSes, so I don't know what's going on here lately.

Tehshigelisok

Post by Tehshigelisok »

xxaaaxx wrote:I've seen them get through some pretty excruciating rounds, chock full of Oprah video clues and TSes, so I don't know what's going on here lately.
And I've said it before: Christine Valada-level slowpokes are very rare, so there's really no reason to time the rounds in the first place.

There's also no reason for my computer to be really slow at this point, either, but that's beside the point. I think my hard drive's dying.