Tuesday, March 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7712, 2018-03-06

CONTESTANTS
Rob Wivchar, a musician from Denver, Colorado
Jack Rice, a marketing associate from Portland, Oregon
Matt Lisiecki, an international development researcher from Brooklyn, New York (whose 2-day cash winnings total $34,551)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, all, and thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. In many ways, I live vicariously, and I feel really good today because yesterday, we had a terrific game, and our champion, Matt, won a lot of money. I would like to feel the same way at the end of this half-hour. So Rob, Jack, and Matt, do your stuff. Here we go. Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NAME THAT POET! (3/5)
THE VEGAN LIFE (2/2)
DIRECT ME TO THE DIRECTIONAL UNIVERSITY (4/5)
TV (5/5)
2 LETTERS DIFFERENT (2/5)
SLOVENIA & SLOVAKIA (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jack: 12 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Rob: 5 R, 2 W
Matt: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jack: $4,400
Rob: $2,000
Matt: -$800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Rob Wivchar is a musician from Denver, Colorado. The state of Colorado has a number of 14,000-foot peaks, and I understand that you have climbed every one of them?

Rob: Took about ten years, but I got to the top of all of them.

Alex: Okay. Never an accident, never a bad moment?

Rob: No, just some bad weather, which is the scariest thing.

Alex: Yeah, I'm sure. Well, good luck and congratulations.

Alex: Jack Rice is a marketing associate from Portland, Oregon who collects special books.

Jack: Well, it's books, comic books, and movies, all about Dracula.

Alex: How many in your collection? How many have there been?

Jack: There are quite a few.

Alex: Really.

Jack: There's an official sequel to Dracula, actually. Not my favorite, not my favorite.

Alex: And who wrote it?

Jack: Dacre Stoker, Bram Stoker's great-grandson. Something like that.

Alex: Ah, always dangerous to try to follow in your--

Jack: I would say so.

Alex: Yeah.

Jack: Doesn't need a sequel.

Alex: Right. You got that.

Alex: Matt Lisiecki is our champion. He is from Brooklyn and volunteers with the Brooklyn Boatworks. I don't know what that is.

Matt: Yeah, it's an organization that works with kids, mostly middle schoolers, teaching teamwork and leadership skills through building small wooden sailboats that you then sail at the end of the year.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jack found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Matt was in the hole with -$600, Jack had $5,800, and Rob was at $1,000. Jack wagered $2,000.

SLOVENIA & SLOVAKIA $800: A farm in the Slovenian town of Lipica is known for these animals it has bred for 400 years
(Alex: The famous Lipizzaners.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
2 LETTERS DIFFERENT $200: To brush a horse & to produce flowers

2 LETTERS DIFFERENT $600: A cylindrical container & a self-serve meal

NAME THAT POET! $800: "The stockings were hung by the chimney with care, in hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there"
(Matt: Who is Dickens?)

NAME THAT POET! $1000: "I love thee freely, as men strive for right; I love thee purely, as they turn from praise"
(Rob: Who is Robert Browning?)
(Matt: Who is Shakespeare?)

DIRECT ME TO THE DIRECTIONAL UNIVERSITY $600: Head up Huntington; if you pass the YMCA of Greater Boston, you've gone too far

2 LETTERS DIFFERENT $1000: A threaded metal fastener & an anatomical synonym for strength

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jack: $7,800
Rob: $1,000
Matt: $800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
OTHER MONA LISAS (4/5)
A YEAR ENDING IN 8 (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"HORSE" TALK (3/5)
INTERNATIONAL HOLIDAYS & OBSERVANCES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ELECTRICITY (4/5)
OSCAR'S BEST PICTURE RHYME TIME (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Rob: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Jack: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Matt: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Rob snagged the next Daily Double on the 5th clue. Matt had $2,000, Jack had $9,000, and Rob was at $2,600. Rob made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,600.

A YEAR ENDING IN 8 $2000: Cyrus Griffin is elected the last president of the Continental Congress
(Rob: What is 17...)
(Alex: Say it.)
(Rob: '78?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Rob who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Matt had $800, Jack had $13,000, and Rob was at $3,200. Rob made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,200.

INTERNATIONAL HOLIDAYS & OBSERVANCES $1200: February (summer Down Under) is the month for this Australian state's Royal Hobart Regatta

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"HORSE" TALK $1200: An 1831 novel said, one of these, "which had never been thought of... rushed past the grand stand in sweeping triumph"

"HORSE" TALK $2000: A Yeats poem says, "Cast a cold eye on life, on death." These 3 words

OTHER MONA LISAS $2000: This contemporary artist included Mona & the American flag in the 1987 work here

ELECTRICITY $2000: Electric fields have values expressed in N/C, newtons per this other unit named for a physicist

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jack: $19,400
Rob: $13,200
Matt: $400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC BRITISH NOVELS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Jack: Wager $7,001 to cover Rob, but no more than $18,599 so as not to fall behind Matt's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $6,201.
Rob: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $800 (martian), and you'll win the game if Jack wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Matt: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A preface to this novel calls it "a loud hee-haw at all who yearn for utopia...& a pretty good fable in the Aesop tradition"

FINAL SCORES
Matt: $400 + $0 = $400 (What is Animal Farm?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Rob: $13,200 - $12,000 = $1,200 (What is Gulliver's Travels?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jack: $19,400 + $7,100 = $26,500 (What is Animal Farm) (New champion: $26,500)
(Alex: [To Matt] George Orwell.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jack: $18,200, 22 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Rob: $13,800, 17 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Matt: $400, 7 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $32,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Jack: 23/59 = .390
Rob: 17/60 = .283
Matt: 8/58 = .138
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
DIRECT ME TO THE DIRECTIONAL UNIVERSITY $200: From L.A.'s Staples Center, take Figueroa past the 110 & hang a right on McCarthy Way
(Rob: What is, uh, USC? ...[*]?)
(Alex: Thank you, that's a directional university.)
(Rob: Oh, directional.)
(Alex: USC is not necessarily one.)

TV $1000: Finding God is hard but Jesse Custer has a woman named Tulip & a vampire named Cassidy to help the search on this AMC drama
[Applause for Jack running the category]

NAME THAT POET! $200: "Scots, wha hae wi' Wallace bled, Scots, wham Bruce has aften led"
(Rob: Who is Bruce?)

DIRECT ME TO THE DIRECTIONAL UNIVERSITY $800: See the map? You'll find this school off I-94 in Kalamazoo, over near the left edge of the state

DIRECT ME TO THE DIRECTIONAL UNIVERSITY $1000: See the map? You'll find this school off Oakwood Street in Ypsilanti, over near the right edge of the state

SLOVENIA & SLOVAKIA $200: Slovakia became a nation on Jan. 1, 1993 along with this one
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

SLOVENIA & SLOVAKIA $1000: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) The only countries to border both Slovenia & Slovakia are Austria & this neighbor

THE VEGAN LIFE $400: Some vegan chefs make this sandwich spread by forgoing the egg & using cashews instead
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

A YEAR ENDING IN 8 $1200: The state of Israel is proclaimed
(Jack: [*]? ...What is [*]?)

OTHER MONA LISAS $400: Pop quiz--this American artist quadrupled Mona here

OTHER MONA LISAS $800: Also known as the male Mona Lisa, Leonardo's "Salvator Mundi", meaning "savior of" this, sold for $450 million in 2017

OSCAR'S BEST PICTURE RHYME TIME $1200: A burly title underdog prizefighter
(Matt: What is... cocky Rocky?)

OTHER MONA LISAS $1600: This French artist went Dada on Mona in the 1919 piece seen here
(Matt: Um... goodness. Can't remember.)

OSCAR'S BEST PICTURE RHYME TIME $2000: Brian Bradley tinkered & kept the ship going for James Cameron, so he's the...
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
horses
bloom and groom
bucket and buffet
Clement Clark Moore
Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Northeastern
screw and sinew
Tasmania
a dark horse
horseman, pass by
Jasper Johns
coulomb
Animal Farm
University of Southern California
Preacher
(Rabbie) Burns
Western Michigan
Eastern Michigan
the Czech Republic
Hungary
mayonnaise
Andy Warhol
the world
stocky Rocky
(Marcel) Duchamp
Titanic mechanic
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLASSIC BRITISH NOVELS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A preface to this novel calls it “a loud hee-haw at all who yearn for utopia…& a pretty good fable in the Aesop tradition”

Matt Lisiecki: 400+0=400
Jack Rice: 19400+7100=26500 (New Champ)
Rob Wivchar: 13200-12000=1200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Animal Farm (Rob – Gulliver’s Travels)

Daily Doubles
Jack: 5800+2000
Rob: 2600-2600
Rob: 3200+3200

Coryats
Matt: 400
Jack: 18200
Rob: 13800

Combined: 32,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Matt: 800
Jack: 7800
Rob: 1000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jack got control after the second clue and immediately went to TV. Five clues later he had $3000 more, applause and was off and running.

Rob would be a winner (and one of multiple games) in a different shuffle of the player pool deck. He fought his tail off to stay in the game and to have a chance going into the FJ! round. Matt’s shuffle worked better for him being able to win two games before running into double buzzsaws.

The FJ! clue was a miss even as I wrote my response as like Rob I went the Swift route. That author will not fit into CLASSIC BRITISH NOVELS. I know that and just had nothing better for interpreting the novel’s preface. My problem with the category was thinking it was books from the 1700s or 1800s as “Classic” and not considering things from the 20th c.

Even so it’s easy after the fact to see how the clue was telegraphing animals with “hee-haw” and Aesop. It’s been over 30-something years since I read the book (and did a term paper on the author) and it was not going to help today.

At least I have enough marbles left to be able to name a couple of the poets the gentlemen did not get.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

According to zerobandwidth's play-along rules, I should've had some single malt scotch on hand to pour over my head at a certain point in today's game.

Glad to see Matt come out of the red and Rob finish strong going into FJ. Kudos to Jack the Buzzsaw.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got it right, but didn’t really think it was old enough to be “classic”.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:38 pm I got it right, but didn’t really think it was old enough to be “classic”.
Same here - except for the getting it right part.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore’s Conjecture. The second-place player bet “small.” —Bob
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'm guessing by "classic" they mean within the generally accepted literary canon. I wasn't expecting something so recent from the category but I had no problem getting it right away. There were an embarrassment of TOMs.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $40,000
45 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: groom/bloom, Clement Clarke Moore, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, 1788 (DD), Coulombs
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:56 pm The FJ! clue was a miss even as I wrote my response as like Rob I went the Swift route. That author will not fit into CLASSIC BRITISH NOVELS. I know that and just had nothing better for interpreting the novel’s preface. My problem with the category was thinking it was books from the 1700s or 1800s as “Classic” and not considering things from the 20th c.

Even so it’s easy after the fact to see how the clue was telegraphing animals with “hee-haw” and Aesop.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I keyed in on "hee-haw," which reminded me of Swift's Yahoos, and I was off to the races. Never mind that Swift was Irish. Much as I am bothered to hear the music of my adolescence on oldies stations, I have a problem with a novel from 1945 being referred to as a "classic" British novel. Somebody pass the Metamucil.

I felt so bad for Rob on DD2. He so wanted to say 1788, but he just couldn't do it. Luckily, it didn't cost him the game.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

James Spader rings not the faintest of bells for me. That whole category was completely alien to me.

I don't think of buckets as cylindrical, since most buckets I've seen taper slightly (like, for instance, KFC buckets). Cost me the run.

Not surprisingly, I got only the bottom two in Universities. Nice of them to throw me a bone like that.

I loved how Jack kept calling the Eight category "Year in 8" because it kept sounding like "Urinate" to my inner 12-year-old.

I saw no way to figure out International Holidays for $400.

What did "Wings" have to do with Rhyme Time for $400? That whole category was over my head.

FJ! category did not heave me hopeful. Utopia got me to 1984. I knew it wasn't right, but that I was headed in the right direction. But no matter how hard I pushed, I just couldn't get there in time. Another two minutes and maybe I'd have gotten there. This would've been a fabulous get to kill my ridiculously long dry spell, but it just wasn't meant to be.

Lach Trash: bloom/groom, screw/sinew, Clement C. Moore
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Another Gulliver's Travels here, alas.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Chalk up another for Gulliver's Travels.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:30 pmI don't think of buckets as cylindrical, since most buckets I've seen taper slightly (like, for instance, KFC buckets).
Yep, same here.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Went 1984. So close. A little too close, actually.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

I'll take "urinate" for 800 Alex

Re FJ: Yeah, "classic" threw me too. All I had was Gulliver but knew it was wrong cuz of Irishness.
billiej

Post by billiej »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:56 pm
The FJ! clue was a miss even as I wrote my response as like Rob I went the Swift route. That author will not fit into CLASSIC BRITISH NOVELS. I know that and just had nothing better for interpreting the novel’s preface.
Same. Despite it being one of my favorites, Animal Farm never even entered my radar.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'm kind of surprised that so many missed the FJ. I thought it looked like a historically easy one. But I'm a really bad judge at this sort of thing. :)
clprez

Post by clprez »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:07 pm I'm kind of surprised that so many missed the FJ. I thought it looked like a historically easy one. But I'm a really bad judge at this sort of thing. :)
I think it may have been that it worked out for me because when I saw Aesop and hee-haw I immediately went to Animal Farm, and I don't have enough depth of knowledge of British authors, so I didn't spend much time thinking of other possibilities.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:30 pm What did "Wings" have to do with Rhyme Time for $400? That whole category was over my head.
OSCAR'S BEST PICTURE RHYME TIME
Gold wedding bands with the name of the very first winner

The first Best Picture Oscar winner was the 1927 silent film "Wings". (I just watched it yesterday - it was actually pretty decent, and the aerial photography was state-of-the-art for the time.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

teapot37 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:52 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:30 pm What did "Wings" have to do with Rhyme Time for $400? That whole category was over my head.
OSCAR'S BEST PICTURE RHYME TIME
Gold wedding bands with the name of the very first winner

The first Best Picture Oscar winner was the 1927 silent film "Wings". (I just watched it yesterday - it was actually pretty decent, and the aerial photography was state-of-the-art for the time.)
That seems like a very obscure pick for the top box.