Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), March 6, 2018

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Eastern), March 6, 2018

Post by Volante »

nklotz wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:13 pm
stat74 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:46 pm
I don't think neuron can be right, because it's just another word for nerve cell, which was in the clue.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/neuron
It's almost as if the clue... uses other words to describe the answer that you're supposed to get.

I'm fairly certain that "neuron" is the correct response here.
It does have that feel of a clue we'd spend posts explaining why 'neuron' is a wrong answer, which is a not uncommon trait of J! science clues.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

Took this one for funsies off the board, as I was not available to take it for real last night.

Pretty much what I've always come to expect from these things: lots of stuff that I know pretty well interspersed with a few that I know nothing about (Zappo's, Alchemist, Jessica Jones, Goosebumps, etc.)

I thought it was a good sign that only once did I brain fart, unable to come up with "class action" until several seconds too late.

By my count 40 right. Now let's see if I can do that well tonight for real.

Good luck to all.
tenorissimo
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by tenorissimo »

Got 48 provided that Oceania will be accepted for #44. I know most people refer to the continent as Australia, but I play too many Sporcle geography quizzes. :D La Raza came to me too late and I think all I typed was "la ra". Also blanked on Dunkirk.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Volante wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:22 pm
nklotz wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:13 pm
stat74 wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:46 pm
I don't think neuron can be right, because it's just another word for nerve cell, which was in the clue.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/neuron
It's almost as if the clue... uses other words to describe the answer that you're supposed to get.

I'm fairly certain that "neuron" is the correct response here.
It does have that feel of a clue we'd spend posts explaining why 'neuron' is a wrong answer, which is a not uncommon trait of J! science clues.
Looks like they've used nerve cell -> neuron a couple of times before, including

"Helped by axons and dendrites, nerve cells called these conduct impulses around the body"
(http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1533) and

"Ganglia, groups of cell bodies of these nerve cells, are outside the vertebrate central nervous system"
(http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1114).

Both were triple stumpers.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

40/50 from the video (thanks, sherder!)

Or maybe 39/50--not sure if they'd take "spy lie" for "treason reason"

Knowledge gaps:

- The Alchemist (have heard the name; no idea what it's about)
- Jessica Jones (NHO)
- Giants
- La Raza (heard of, didn't know the acronym)

Retrieval failures:

- Conway
- class action

Processing failures:

- Wheel of Fortune Cookie

Mistakes:

- A-frame for chalet
- Brittany for Channel Islands
- Milton's for Arby's (sounded like deli meats)
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

46 for me, playing off the video. I missed neuron, The Alchemist (kept thinking The Alienist), La Raza, and Tyler (my first answer, but then I changed to Polk).
Drangvoor
Contributor

Post by Drangvoor »

Took it off the youtube video, got 39/40 depending on how fast I typed my last second answer
missed distillation, bocelli, jones, burma, late-ish with Tudor, flummoxed by our/hour (thinking geologic time scale), no idea on La Razza, WOF Cookie, Verdi, Australia, Rhea.

Hope I do better tonight.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Thanks, Sherder. You might have the only Youtube channel I actually know about. Off to study for my "real" shot in a couple of hours. 33 off of the video - can't believe I had treason immediately and didn't see that one. Usually I hit 35-40 on one of the three, and the law of averages would be in my favor if that law had any rational basis. Felt it was very tough early, but a long, long run in the middle.

Editing, looking through this item and I wonder if I should admit I keep getting 32-33 pretty much every time. On this board, that relegates me to whatever the right term is for those who take smaller vehicles when they attend their respective educational institutions.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Blue Lion wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:29 pm
Peachbox wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:24 pm 43 here. It did feel tougher than usual, though -- maybe because I missed 3 out of the first 10. Could have got a couple more, but I'll take it. Best of luck to those of you taking the test tomorrow or Thursday. :)
I'm a slow starter on these tests, but the consensus appears to be that the early questions were especially rough. I'm kicking myself over missing "Jessica Jones", which has come up in regular Jeopardy as well as on my pop culture flashcards.
Different strokes....

My slow starts on these tests have become a nagging cliché for me, but this time I started out with 7 right in a row. Now if I can do that for real on the Wednesday test...
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

tenorissimo wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:58 pm Got 48 provided that Oceania will be accepted for #44. I know most people refer to the continent as Australia, but I play too many Sporcle geography quizzes.
There are numerous island peaks in Oceania that are taller than anything found in Australia; you done goofed.
BradsDad
Contributor

Post by BradsDad »

Trump has always been at war with Oceania
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

42. Choke on Verdi gave Rossini; offered Chateau for Chalet... hmmm?! :P
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Thanks, sherder and jeff6286, for posting the video and answers. I got 46 on this one.
Bicycle Repair Man

Post by Bicycle Repair Man »

Man. I got 34. My only hope is they will accept "receptor" as an answer for #3. I found one site online that defines Sennsory Receptor Cells as "Specialized afferent neurons capable of transducing sensory stimuli into NERVE IMPULSES to be transmitted to the CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM." While I'm sure that they were looking for "neuron" if I were on the show I would argue that "receptor" is also an acceptable response. That would give me exactly 35.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Look... over there ^^^ It's BICYCLE REPAIRMAN!
Bicycle Repair Man

Post by Bicycle Repair Man »

Woof wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:26 pm Look... over there ^^^ It's BICYCLE REPAIRMAN!
No, no, it's Bicycle Repair MAN. Three words.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I noticed that the Final Jeopardy answer for March 1 was "What are the Channel Islands"? That was Question #30 on the online test, so regular Jeopardy watchers got a bonus if they were watching that day.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Blue Lion wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:26 pmI noticed that the Final Jeopardy answer for March 1 was "What are the Channel Islands"? That was Question #30 on the online test, so regular Jeopardy watchers got a bonus if they were watching that day.
That's how I got the answer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

earendel wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:09 pm
Blue Lion wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:26 pmI noticed that the Final Jeopardy answer for March 1 was "What are the Channel Islands"? That was Question #30 on the online test, so regular Jeopardy watchers got a bonus if they were watching that day.
That's how I got the answer.
Ditto. Also got Sylvia Plath from a FJ in recent months (not sure which test this was on). I never would have had a shot at these otherwise.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

ElendilPickle wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:47 pm 46 for me, playing off the video. I missed neuron, The Alchemist (kept thinking The Alienist), La Raza, and Tyler (my first answer, but then I changed to Polk).
I keep quoting Lee Ann, maybe because we're no longer A Cont neighbor/rivals... Anyway, from the video (thanks yet again, Sue!) I got 42, assuming neurons is right.

Blank: Arno, The Alchemist, WoF cookie
Wrong: Carreras (Bocelli), Latin Relations (La Raza), Paganini (Verdi, duh), Cinderella (changed to Sleeping but couldn't finish scribbling Beauty), cassowary (rhea)
Guesses that hit: John the Baptist, Zappos, Jones (last-second--could not pull her first name, though I've seen a handful of episodes)

Looks like Thursday's (47) played notably easier for me than Tue or Wed (43).

Best of luck to everyone.
In and out of the pool four times