Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), March 7, 2018

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

VAdame
Contributor

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Central), March 7, 2018

Post by VAdame »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:21 pm The Trocodero is in Philly...I put schuylkill
Hee, it's actually closer to the Delaware (and would be on its right bank, if there weren't 10 or 11 city blocks in between!) It's about 15 blocks from the left bank of the Schuylkill.
VAdame
Contributor

Post by VAdame »

I'm happy with my 45 from last night, but tonight would have probably been 46! I'm not sure if I would have said George Gershwin or Cole Porter for the composer, and I'd already seen that answer before it came up in the video, so I'll never know for sure. (Not trying to cheat; I was checking one of the others and scrolled down too far. Can't unsee it.)

Totally blanked on the first one, Poetry! Byzantium? OK, if you guys say so. Don't think I ever read that one.

Trocadero does sound Spanish; I said Tagus. Complete Brain-Fart on Neil Gorsuch's name. And I was picturing Merrick Garland's face (and couldn't come up with his name either!)

Couldn't come up with Faerie Queen. Or Radical for the math symbol.

Break a Leg to all the Boardies!

When I hear Trocadero, I can only think of these guys! http://trockadero.org/
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

44 tonight playing from the video, compared with somewhere between 43-45 last night for real. Misses:
Spoiler
6. India (talked myself out of Iran)
23. Diana
34. Socrates (talked myself out of Plato)
35. (blank) (couldn't pull The Fairie Queene to save my life)
36. Iris
40. George M. Cohan
Good luck to you all!
Sprinkles are for winners.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

47 for 50. Hestia for Demeter; curse you, mythology. Berlin for Gershwin on a coin flip. Worst, pupil for lens. Already in the pool, so just for fun.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

44 from the video, missing fern, Seine, This is Us, Pringles, lens, and GoodReads.

I already took it for real on Tuesday.
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:32 pm
tiwonge wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:28 pm I had one correct answer typed in, but the time expired before I could submit. I suspect it did not get submitted, but does anybody know the mechanics of that?
Anything in the box gets auto-submitted at the end of time.
Which is why there's no need to submit answers. Give yourself a breather between each clue.
BobF

Post by BobF »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:11 pm 41, with 5 wrongs (34, 36, 38, 47, 50) and 4 clams (1, 19, 22, 32, 25).

(Also kind of found it funny there were three successive clues with "May", "Peace", and then referencing Thackeray. No? Just me?)

Bring on the for-real test Thursday!!!
You listed 5 clams Mr. K.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

40. Felt more challenging. Couple easy recall fails and slow typing cost me; "The Fairie Q-" OW.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

VAdame wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:17 am
triviawayne wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:21 pm The Trocodero is in Philly...I put schuylkill
Hee, it's actually closer to the Delaware (and would be on its right bank, if there weren't 10 or 11 city blocks in between!) It's about 15 blocks from the left bank of the Schuylkill.
going for bwa...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BobF wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:27 am
dhkendall wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:11 pm 41, with 5 wrongs (34, 36, 38, 47, 50) and 4 clams (1, 19, 22, 32, 25).

(Also kind of found it funny there were three successive clues with "May", "Peace", and then referencing Thackeray. No? Just me?)

Oops! Fixed.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Is it just me or does anyone else notice the tests seem to reference some clues recently used in Daytime J! episodes? Both tests so far have. (So, word to the wise, watch Daytime J!, or at least brush up on the shows from around this time s year ago.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
billiej

Post by billiej »

Looks like another 35, just like the real thing Tuesday. So no remorse on test choice... yet...
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:20 am
BobF wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:27 am

Oops! Fixed.
Did TPH hack your account? Who clams on the online Test?
AlphaDummy
Valued Contributor

Post by AlphaDummy »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:42 amDid TPH hack your account? Who clams on the online Test?
<raises hand> Clammed on three last night where I had NFC. My past experience has been that that if I go wracking my brain for something that is pretty much guaranteed to be wrong anyhow, then scrambling to type in that blind guess, my panic typing could carry over to the next question, where more than once I have inadvertently tacked gibberish onto the beginning of the next answer, thus possibly putting it at risk. There were also times where I had a hard time resetting my brain to rational mode for the next question, thus costing me a couple of seconds of thought there. IMO, if I am dead in the water without so much as a WAG, better to admit it, catch my breath and regroup for 15 seconds, and go from there..."keep clam and carry on", if you will.
Ultraman
Valued Contributor

Post by Ultraman »

I'm annoyed at the test for putting this back in my head:

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:22 pm 37---whew!!!!!!

CLEVELAND!!!!!
Wayne, I hope to see you there!

I was so relieved after hours of technical difficulty just registering for the darned thing, to finally get on and see the event go off without any technical glitches.

And for once I was steady as a rock through the whole thing, seeing lots of material that was familiar to me and only a few (Goodreads, This is Us, David Bowie) that I had no clue on. I brain-farted twice, not being able to come up with Neil Gorsuch until I was back home from the office and mistaking cornea for lens on the cataract clue. Otherwise all neurons were firing and I had room to spare on this one.

Pretty sure I registered a 41, which is good for me. Now if the Force is with me and the winds are in my favor I'll be invited to the home-town audition.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

John Boy wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:53 am
triviawayne wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:22 pm 37---whew!!!!!!

CLEVELAND!!!!!
Wayne, I hope to see you there!

I was so relieved after hours of technical difficulty just registering for the darned thing, to finally get on and see the event go off without any technical glitches.

And for once I was steady as a rock through the whole thing, seeing lots of material that was familiar to me and only a few (Goodreads, This is Us, David Bowie) that I had no clue on. I brain-farted twice, not being able to come up with Neil Gorsuch until I was back home from the office and mistaking cornea for lens on the cataract clue. Otherwise all neurons were firing and I had room to spare on this one.

Pretty sure I registered a 41, which is good for me. Now if the Force is with me and the winds are in my favor I'll be invited to the home-town audition.
PS Many thanks to Sherder and anyone else involved with getting the video and/or answers up on this board so quickly. You Rock!!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

AlphaDummy wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:29 am
jeff6286 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:42 amDid TPH hack your account? Who clams on the online Test?
IMO, if I am dead in the water without so much as a WAG, better to admit it, catch my breath and regroup for 15 seconds, and go from there..."keep clam and carry on", if you will.
Concur. I've let stumpers go by blank so I can get my rhythm back.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:15 am
IMO, if I am dead in the water without so much as a WAG, better to admit it, catch my breath and regroup for 15 seconds, and go from there..."keep clam and carry on", if you will.
I'm surprised that "clam" isn't in the J-archive glossary, and of course jeff can speak for himself, but I assume he meant "clam" in a strict sense - not just to stay silent. When you have some idea of the correct response (or even when a WAG comes readily to mind), but decide you're not sure enough to risk the points. That's a classic clam, and something nobody should do on these tests.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:15 am
*nod* For example, if they ask for a recent pop artist, I'll throw a name down, but if they ask for an album or song? Forget it. I know no recent song titles or album names. Best just to leave it blank, breath for a sec and move on.