Online Test Recap & Discussion (Pacific), March 8, 2018

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Online Test Recap & Discussion (Pacific), March 8, 2018

Post by econgator »

RJZ1977 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:42 pm Welp, 38 (or 37 if Socratic gets dinged). This is my 8th or 9th 'pass', with so far only 1 audition to show for it. Wonder if that conversion rate is standard in everyone's experience?
Not quite that bad. I'm somewhere in the 7-for-25 range.
DysonSphere
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by DysonSphere »

Took for real tonight and got 44/50 (45/50 if Socratic accepted), a personal best! I was 37/50 and 35/50 taking practice tests Tues and Wed, so I thought tonight's was significantly easier. No auditions yet, so maybe this will be the year.
CatJeopardyOW
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by CatJeopardyOW »

Hi,

Thanks to sherder and the JBoard Archivists team!

I apologize if this is a JBoard faux pas, but would someone be willing to tell me if some of my "judgement-call" answers would be accepted as correct? They are:

2. fort night (Space between words, not fortnight)
9. merry wives of windsor (Not "THE merry...)
15. hot springFs ("f" typo.)
22. ginsburg (Misspelled; Not full "Ruth Bader Ginsberg"; could be confused with Allen Ginsberg)
25. luther (Not full "Martin Luther")
31. mary (Not full "Mary Magdalene")
34. mao (Not full "Mao Zedong" or "Chairman Mao")
37. imperile (Not "peril"; this one's a stretch...)

Thanks.
Last edited by CatJeopardyOW on Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

I was finally able to get the test working today. It felt easier than the other 2. I still only got 30. Easy or hard doesn't matter. I seem to get in pretty much the same score.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

46 this time, including an amazing 31 clue run to kick things off. James Stewart was the only Hitchcock actor I could think of, although I knew they'd have mentioned Rear Window if it was him. No idea on Gaiman; I think I was trying to think of Bunker Hill but said Bull Run instead; total blank on non–Notre Dame universities in Indiana.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

Oh crap! I just now noticed that it wasn't Socratic. Eep. Well, if I get an audition, then you know they likely accepted that. ;)
ajk
Contributor

Post by ajk »

I thought tonight's test was the easiest one I've taken. I got a 39 or 40. (Any idea if they will accept "The Merry Wives of Windso"?) I'm usually right around 35. I got an audition in 2015 with a 36. And I've had another 36 on an test that didn't net me an audition. But, even on tests that I wasn't taking for real, I don't think I've hit 40 before.
goongas

Post by goongas »

39 taking it off the video (with a couple I should have gotten), 35-34-39 my three scores. The west coast test is usually the easiest.
Last edited by goongas on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

I got either 40 or 41; I can't remember if I typed "speaker of the house" or "house majority leader."

Was trying to figure out Sunni or Shiite when I realized Kurds but there was only 1 second left.

I typed "boxes" instead of "cubicles," having thought of them both, because, well, I'm an imbecile sometimes.

Fun test, I thought.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

After getting 42 and 44 taking the other two tests off YouTube, I got a personal best 47 tonight taking it for real. Missed with tomatoes instead of apples, Himalayas over Andes, and don't think I'll get credit for writing "imperial" when I meant to write "imperil."
I would prefer not to.
rbakker

Post by rbakker »

Hi guys and gals, newbie here so please be gentle.

First attempt at this and got 41 or 42, thanks for posting the answers!

My question: At the end of the test it said (I cut and pasted it):

" If you pass, you will be contacted by phone or email to be invited to an in-person audition."

I take it from the comments here that this isn't necessarily true?

Another question: are non-US citizens allowed on Jeopardy? If so, do you have to be a permanent resident, or is a visa enough (e.g. student visa), or can anyone in the world join in? I looked and looked on the J website but couldn't find anything that addressed this. Asking for (a) friend(s).

Thank you for your indulgence.
ajk
Contributor

Post by ajk »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:55 pm 46 this time, including an amazing 31 clue run to kick things off. James Stewart was the only Hitchcock actor I could think of, although I knew they'd have mentioned Rear Window if it was him. No idea on Gaiman; I think I was trying to think of Bunker Hill but said Bull Run instead; total blank on non–Notre Dame universities in Indiana.

I did the same thing on the Hitchcock actor. I knew it was wrong, too. I got Stewart stuck in my head. Then I noticed Rear Window wasn't on there. And then I noticed North by Northwest was, and I just couldn't get to Cary Grant.
goongas

Post by goongas »

They only contact you if you are chosen to audition, you can pass and not get chosen. They let Canadians play, so I assume you can be a non US citizen.
JemRiffster
Contributor

Post by JemRiffster »

Looks like I had 46/50 correct, which I believe is the best I've ever done when taking it for realsies.

I wrote "repartee" instead of "touche", realized it was wrong, and ran out of time while fixing it. (I got at least as far as the "c".) Theoretically, they might consider that, but I'm pretty happy with the 46.

I immediately thought "Big Little Lies" for the penultimate clue, but the title's similarity to "Pretty Little Liars" always throws me, so I only put down "Little Lies", and chalked it up as essentially a guess. So annoyed I didn't go with my gut on that. I doubt they'd consider an answer that skips the first word.

WAGed "tomatoes" instead of "apples" probably because of Roma tomatoes. And WAGed "Pyrenees" instead of "Andes" because of the Spanish-sounding name. The elevation rightfully gave me pause, but I didn't feel like I had enough time to consider alternatives.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I put Pretty Little Lies down myself in my fake test, I knew it was wrong but couldn't think of the right title.
rbakker

Post by rbakker »

Thanks goongas.

I'm sure this has all been mulled over before but maybe 35 isn't always a passing mark and they just take the top x% of each session? Possibly influenced by audition location and gender as well. Just an idea.

Good point about Canadians.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

ajk wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:04 am
seaborgium wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:55 pm 46 this time, including an amazing 31 clue run to kick things off. James Stewart was the only Hitchcock actor I could think of, although I knew they'd have mentioned Rear Window if it was him. No idea on Gaiman; I think I was trying to think of Bunker Hill but said Bull Run instead; total blank on non–Notre Dame universities in Indiana.

I did the same thing on the Hitchcock actor. I knew it was wrong, too. I got Stewart stuck in my head. Then I noticed Rear Window wasn't on there. And then I noticed North by Northwest was, and I just couldn't get to Cary Grant.
Mark me down for Stewart as well. They even kind of look the same! 😁
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Yes, this did seem easier. Taking it from sherder’s video, I got a 47, a new high for me, and that was with stupid misses on Sanger and Yelp.
rbakker

Post by rbakker »

Okay, now I see in the follow-up email that it says "if you pass the test and are selected for an audition...".
Thanks for the false hope, Alex!
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Many thanks to sherder for posting the videos for the tests this time and always. You're a peach! :)