Friday, March 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:17 pm

J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:18 pm

DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:21 pm

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BIG BUSINESS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Bill Fernandez, who in 1971 introduced to each other the 2 founders of this California company, became its first full-time employee in 1977

Lane Flynn: 23000-8399=14601
Megan Durazo: 7400+0=7400
Mark Ashton: 14600+14500=29100 (New Champ)

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
Apple (Lane – Hewlett-Packard)

Daily Doubles
Mark: 2800+2800
Lane: 9400+4000
Lane: 16200+6000

Coryats
Lane: 15800
Megan: 7400
Mark: 12400

Combined: 35,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Lane: 7000
Megan: -600
Mark: 7800

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:22 pm

Megan was at game 1 & 7 of the 2017 World Series rooting for the Dodgers. She may have lost some rooting interest from the Dodger haters who have made themselves known on the J! Board.

THE FLINTSTONES was played last which had me ready to grumble about it if not completed. Nope, the easy $3000 for home and show happened with each contestant in on the action. The writers are more than welcome to do a DJ! round version with Mr. Slate (J!6), Hoppy, The Way-Outs, Slaghoople, and one of Cary Granite/Ann-Margrock/Stony Curtis. Or Pebbles, Water Buffaloes, Joe Rockhead, Great Gazoo, and Ed Sullystone.

The FJ! category looked like trouble for me and it sure was as I thought I needed a company name with a pairing. Ben & Jerry’s were out for being VT. At no point did California = tech occur to me even after time was up and Alex said they shared the same first name. I’m a PC guy and I do not own an i anything. My response was Williams-Sonoma (somehow wishful that the Sonoma was a person) although I just as easily could have gone Sherwin-Williams.

I’m already over the miss. Lane may have taken a little longer to wash away the sting. That was an unusual replay the show used just before the ending showing Lane looking unhappy instead of a more typical winner’s reaction.

Congrats to all of you (and I know there will be more than one) who had the solve locked in at Bill Fernandez.

Lane was +10K on his DDs and that was still not nearly enough for the runaway he needed. Lane was getting better at J! by the day and he may have been stopped at exactly the right time for the players in next week’s pool. And next week will have the player known for a famous movie role.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:33 pm

I started with Microsoft but switched to Apple in time.

Like Mark, I was worried the Flintstones would get left out but was glad to cruise the category. Yabba-Dabba-Doo!!!!

Good job by Mark to get back in the game. Nice work by Megan as well. She even had a chance to win thanks to Lane’s overbet.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:37 pm

I often skip the interviews (because stuff like "I'm a Dodger fan and went to the WS" isn't very interesting, not that any story I could tell up there would be much better), but Alex, if someone mentions a caption contest, ask him what the caption was!!!

Instaget FJ. Lane must've thought "two founders" was the important bit, rather than Cali + 1970s. Too badd. I thought Lane had at least 4-5 days in him. Maybe if he had gone TDD with the first one, but then he probably wouldn't have bet 6k on the 2nd one.

Also, Barney contemplated suicide!?? That's...a lot darker than I remember the Flintstones being :shock:

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:43 pm

I have seen the episode where they got Bam-Bam, but I don’t recall Barney thinking about killing himself.

squarekara
LEGO my Ego

Post by squarekara » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:52 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:37 pm
Also, Barney contemplated suicide!?? That's...a lot darker than I remember the Flintstones being :shock:
We checked out a Flintstones DVD set from the local library recently because our kids had never seen the show, and this was one of the scenes we encountered. :o. He's despondent over difficulties in the adoption process, and I think Fred discovers him about to jump off a bridge with a rope and rock tied around his neck. We sure did not remember that from back in the day AT ALL.

hscer

Post by hscer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:58 pm

why do i bother
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:59 pm

This board was tough for me but I mostly enjoyed it. I wasn't a fan of the solar system category, though. It seemed like those clues all lacked solid TOMs, except for Titan in the bottom row. I am also kicking myself for not being able to pull the names of those medical fields.

I had no idea on FJ, but it should have been guessable.

LucarioSnooperVixey
No Life

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:14 pm

41 R
DD: 2/3 (Altar, Tunisia)
FJ: :(
LT: Queen?, Ottawa, Elysee Palace, Kaa

Ran Flintstones and Take Me to Your Leader.

Other of my gets include The Metamorphoses and Versace on the Floor.
Known in the real world as Douglas Squasoni.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:23 pm

I believe Lane read too much into the clue and thought the "two men" would be the namesake of the company.
Bamaman wrote: Good job by Mark to get back in the game. Nice work by Megan as well. She even had a chance to win thanks to Lane’s overbet.
Yes, Lane overwagered by $200, but his sin was nullified by Megan's lack of trying.
With that last minute flurry, Megan may have prevented Mark from getting within crush distance.

DavidRosen
Contributor

Post by DavidRosen » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:32 pm

Three-word Latin phrase for retroactive? How about "nunc pro tunc"? Literally, "now for then." Sure, it's primarily a lawyer's phrase, but so what? Any other lawyers out there? Can I get a ruling on this?

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:37 pm

finally got went a perfect 5 for 5 in final jeopardy clues...though it was probably the easiest collection of final jeopardy clues on record

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:38 pm

Bamaman wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:43 pm
I have seen the episode where they got Bam-Bam, but I don’t recall Barney thinking about killing himself.
don't recall it either

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:40 pm

MarkBarrett wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:22 pm
Megan was at game 1 & 7 of the 2017 World Series rooting for the Dodgers. She may have lost some rooting interest from the Dodger haters who have made themselves known on the J! Board.

THE FLINTSTONES was played last which had me ready to grumble about it if not completed. Nope, the easy $3000 for home and show happened with each contestant in on the action. The writers are more than welcome to do a DJ! round version with Mr. Slate (J!6), Hoppy, The Way-Outs, Slaghoople, and one of Cary Granite/Ann-Margrock/Stony Curtis. Or Pebbles, Water Buffaloes, Joe Rockhead, Great Gazoo, and Ed Sullystone.

The FJ! category looked like trouble for me and it sure was as I thought I needed a company name with a pairing. Ben & Jerry’s were out for being VT. At no point did California = tech occur to me even after time was up and Alex said they shared the same first name. I’m a PC guy and I do not own an i anything. My response was Williams-Sonoma (somehow wishful that the Sonoma was a person) although I just as easily could have gone Sherwin-Williams.

I’m already over the miss. Lane may have taken a little longer to wash away the sting. That was an unusual replay the show used just before the ending showing Lane looking unhappy instead of a more typical winner’s reaction.

Congrats to all of you (and I know there will be more than one) who had the solve locked in at Bill Fernandez.

Lane was +10K on his DDs and that was still not nearly enough for the runaway he needed. Lane was getting better at J! by the day and he may have been stopped at exactly the right time for the players in next week’s pool. And next week will have the player known for a famous movie role.
no gruesomes?

squarekara
LEGO my Ego

Post by squarekara » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:41 pm

CasketRomance wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:38 pm
Bamaman wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:43 pm
don't recall it either
Maybe they cut this out of the reruns (along with all the scenes of everybody in Bedrock smoking Winstons).

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:11 pm

I thought the Solar System category was mixed up. Venus is $600, yet "sidearal month" and "Trojan" are above it?

Ran "Wood" and Flintstones, however.

There are king clams and mackerels? That totally threw me for a loop.

3/5 in Foreign Phrases. Had no idea on the French phrase, and blanked on the last word of "ex post ____".

Grr, they finally have a "Redwall" clue and I miss it. Guess it's just been too long since I read it.

Lach Trash: Kaa

California company? Well, that could be anything. I'm seeing absolutely nothing to narrow this down whatsoever.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:24 pm

I have read a lot of books about the founding of Apple, so this was a near instaget for me, but I'm not sure what the TOM for this was, besides "late 70s California would have to be a big tech company".

teapot37

Post by teapot37 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:00 pm

Immediately came up with HP, but just as quickly switched to Apple. I figured HP isn't big enough to merit "BIG BUSINESS" anymore.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.