Friday, March 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7715, 2018-03-09

CONTESTANTS
Mark Ashton, a software engineer from Elmhurst, Illinois
Megan Durazo, a librarian from Playa Del Rey, California
Lane Flynn, a business owner from Atlanta, Georgia (whose 2-day cash winnings total $38,399)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Consistency is the name of the game with our returning champion, Lane. He insists on winning $19,000 every time he plays the game. Can he do it 3 days in a row? Megan and Mark, you'll have a lot to say about that. Good luck. Here we go. Now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AROUND THE CATHEDRAL (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
OUR SOLAR SYSTEM (4/5)
CHESS PIECES IN DISGUISE (4/5)
INTO THE "WOOD"S (5/5)
BRITAIN'S INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION (5/5)
THE FLINTSTONES (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lane: 13 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Mark: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Megan: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Lane: $3,800
Mark: $2,200
Megan: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Mark Ashton is from Elmhurst, Illinois. Now, Mark, you're a big New Yorker fan, and the magazine has a caption contest quite often, and you became a finalist--

Mark: That's right.

Alex: --in one of those contests.

Mark: That's right. The first one I entered. I was surprised to get the email, you know, not long after, saying I was selected as a finalist. And I was really excited, I appeared in the local paper, and I have not been picked since then.

Alex: Okay.

Mark: That was years ago.

Alex: Well, that's all right.

Alex: Megan Durazo from Playa Del Rey, California. It says here that in 2017, you attended two World Series baseball games. Do I take it that you attended because you're a Dodgers fan?

Megan: Yes, big Dodgers fan. Two games--the first was Game One, which they won. Super fun, everybody had a good time. We also went to Game Seven, which they lost, so that was not as fun. But still had a good time.

Alex: All right, good.

Alex: Lane Flynn is our champion, folks. He is from Atlanta, Georgia. You're a sports fan, but of a particular school's teams. Vanderbilt?

Lane: I went to Vanderbilt.

Alex: Oh.

Lane: So, you know, "Anchor down" is what we say. I was in Omaha in 2014 when we won the college World Series. I go to our bowl games when we make them. Unfortunately, this year was not one of them, but I'm hoping we'll get back there this year.

Alex: Okay, a positive attitude. I like that.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Mark found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. Lane had $3,800, Megan was scoreless, and Mark was at $2,800. Mark made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,800.

AROUND THE CATHEDRAL $600: The mensa is the top slab or surface of one of these

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OUR SOLAR SYSTEM $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) Uranus' severe tilt & 84-year orbit mean that the decades-long seasons are extreme; most of the time, one-half is in total darkness or light, but during this 2007 event, every part of the planet saw some sunlight
(Lane: What is a solstice?)
(Megan: What is a solar eclipse?)

AROUND THE CATHEDRAL $1000: A sacristy has this other name, from its use to store clerical garments

CHESS PIECES IN DISGUISE $1000: Author of "The Roman Hat Mystery"
(Megan: Who is Bishop?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Mark: $7,800
Lane: $7,000
Megan: -$600
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
JEEPARDY (4/5)
MEDICAL SPECIALTIES (5/5)
SNAKES ON A BOOK (4/5)
FOREIGN PHRASES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ENTER-TEEN-MENT (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lane: 11 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Mark: 9 R, 1 W
Megan: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lane snagged the next Daily Double on the 6th clue. Lane had $9,400, Megan was in the red with -$200, and Mark was at $9,400. Lane wagered $4,000.

FOREIGN PHRASES $2000: This 3-word Latin phrase means "retroactively"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lane who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. Lane had $16,200, Megan was in the red with -$200, and Mark was at $9,400. Lane wagered $6,000.

TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER $800: You will find this country's leader at Carthage Presidential Palace, near an archaeological site

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
JEEPARDY $1600: After World War II, Jeeps were sold to farmers as "The All-Around Farm Work" this; one Jeep could do the work of 2
(Lane: What is a tractor?)

TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER $1600: The Canadian PM can be found at 24 Sussex Drive, which has a beautiful view of this river
(Mark: What is the Ontario?)

TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER $2000: How chic! There are shoe stores right across the street from this palace, home to the French president

SNAKES ON A BOOK $2000: In "The Jungle Book" (not the movie), this 100-year-old python is Mowgli's protector
(Lane: Who is Shere Khan?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lane: $23,000
Mark: $14,600
Megan: $7,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BIG BUSINESS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Lane: Wager $6,201 to cover Mark, but no more than $8,199 so as not to fall behind Megan's doubled score.
Mark: You have the hope of surpassing Lane if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $8,401 to force Lane to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Megan.
Megan: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Bill Fernandez, who in 1971 introduced to each other the 2 founders of this California company, became its first full-time employee in 1977

FINAL SCORES
Megan: $7,400 + $0 = $7,400 (What is Apple?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Mark: $14,600 + $14,500 = $29,100 (What is Apple) (New champion: $29,100)
Lane: $23,000 - $8,399 = $14,601 (What is Hewlett-Packard?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Alex: [To Megan] Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Lane: $15,800, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Mark: $12,400, 20 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Megan: $7,400, 9 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $35,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Lane: 24/60 = .400
Mark: 21/59 = .356
Megan: 10/58 = .172
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
OUR SOLAR SYSTEM $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) Asteroid 2010, TK7, flew into an area that normally would cause it to orbit unstably, but it hit just the right spot where gravity holds it steady in Earth's orbit, making it this type of asteroid that shares its name with an ancient Greek war

OUR SOLAR SYSTEM $600: This very hot planet sorta has snow--metals like galena are vaporized & settle as mist on the mountains
(Mark: What is Mercury?)

FOREIGN PHRASES $800: An eighteenth-century Spanish singer was known as this; her name became an exclamation & we put "Ay!" before it

JEEPARDY $800: He's seen here riding in a Jeep on Leyte Island in November 1944, shortly after his return to the Philippines

JEEPARDY $2000: Jeeps by the thousands came off the assembly line of this original maker, giving the Axis the...

ENTER-TEEN-MENT $800: She returned to television in 2017 as "The Sinner"

ENTER-TEEN-MENT $1600: In 2017 he announced his engagement to co-star Rose Leslie

CORRECT RESPONSES
the altar
the autumnal equinox
a vestry
Ellery Queen
ex post facto
Tunisia
a horse
Ottawa
the Élysée Palace
Kaa
Apple
a Trojan
Venus
Caramba
MacArthur
Willys
Jessica Biel
Kit Harington
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BIG BUSINESS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Bill Fernandez, who in 1971 introduced to each other the 2 founders of this California company, became its first full-time employee in 1977

Lane Flynn: 23000-8399=14601
Megan Durazo: 7400+0=7400
Mark Ashton: 14600+14500=29100 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Apple (Lane – Hewlett-Packard)

Daily Doubles
Mark: 2800+2800
Lane: 9400+4000
Lane: 16200+6000

Coryats
Lane: 15800
Megan: 7400
Mark: 12400

Combined: 35,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Lane: 7000
Megan: -600
Mark: 7800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Megan was at game 1 & 7 of the 2017 World Series rooting for the Dodgers. She may have lost some rooting interest from the Dodger haters who have made themselves known on the J! Board.

THE FLINTSTONES was played last which had me ready to grumble about it if not completed. Nope, the easy $3000 for home and show happened with each contestant in on the action. The writers are more than welcome to do a DJ! round version with Mr. Slate (J!6), Hoppy, The Way-Outs, Slaghoople, and one of Cary Granite/Ann-Margrock/Stony Curtis. Or Pebbles, Water Buffaloes, Joe Rockhead, Great Gazoo, and Ed Sullystone.

The FJ! category looked like trouble for me and it sure was as I thought I needed a company name with a pairing. Ben & Jerry’s were out for being VT. At no point did California = tech occur to me even after time was up and Alex said they shared the same first name. I’m a PC guy and I do not own an i anything. My response was Williams-Sonoma (somehow wishful that the Sonoma was a person) although I just as easily could have gone Sherwin-Williams.

I’m already over the miss. Lane may have taken a little longer to wash away the sting. That was an unusual replay the show used just before the ending showing Lane looking unhappy instead of a more typical winner’s reaction.

Congrats to all of you (and I know there will be more than one) who had the solve locked in at Bill Fernandez.

Lane was +10K on his DDs and that was still not nearly enough for the runaway he needed. Lane was getting better at J! by the day and he may have been stopped at exactly the right time for the players in next week’s pool. And next week will have the player known for a famous movie role.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I started with Microsoft but switched to Apple in time.

Like Mark, I was worried the Flintstones would get left out but was glad to cruise the category. Yabba-Dabba-Doo!!!!

Good job by Mark to get back in the game. Nice work by Megan as well. She even had a chance to win thanks to Lane’s overbet.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I often skip the interviews (because stuff like "I'm a Dodger fan and went to the WS" isn't very interesting, not that any story I could tell up there would be much better), but Alex, if someone mentions a caption contest, ask him what the caption was!!!

Instaget FJ. Lane must've thought "two founders" was the important bit, rather than Cali + 1970s. Too badd. I thought Lane had at least 4-5 days in him. Maybe if he had gone TDD with the first one, but then he probably wouldn't have bet 6k on the 2nd one.

Also, Barney contemplated suicide!?? That's...a lot darker than I remember the Flintstones being :shock:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have seen the episode where they got Bam-Bam, but I don’t recall Barney thinking about killing himself.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:37 pm Also, Barney contemplated suicide!?? That's...a lot darker than I remember the Flintstones being :shock:
We checked out a Flintstones DVD set from the local library recently because our kids had never seen the show, and this was one of the scenes we encountered. :o. He's despondent over difficulties in the adoption process, and I think Fred discovers him about to jump off a bridge with a rope and rock tied around his neck. We sure did not remember that from back in the day AT ALL.
hscer

Post by hscer »

why do i bother
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This board was tough for me but I mostly enjoyed it. I wasn't a fan of the solar system category, though. It seemed like those clues all lacked solid TOMs, except for Titan in the bottom row. I am also kicking myself for not being able to pull the names of those medical fields.

I had no idea on FJ, but it should have been guessable.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

41 R
DD: 2/3 (Altar, Tunisia)
FJ: :(
LT: Queen?, Ottawa, Elysee Palace, Kaa

Ran Flintstones and Take Me to Your Leader.

Other of my gets include The Metamorphoses and Versace on the Floor.
Douglas Squasoni
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I believe Lane read too much into the clue and thought the "two men" would be the namesake of the company.
Bamaman wrote: Good job by Mark to get back in the game. Nice work by Megan as well. She even had a chance to win thanks to Lane’s overbet.
Yes, Lane overwagered by $200, but his sin was nullified by Megan's lack of trying.
With that last minute flurry, Megan may have prevented Mark from getting within crush distance.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

Three-word Latin phrase for retroactive? How about "nunc pro tunc"? Literally, "now for then." Sure, it's primarily a lawyer's phrase, but so what? Any other lawyers out there? Can I get a ruling on this?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

finally got went a perfect 5 for 5 in final jeopardy clues...though it was probably the easiest collection of final jeopardy clues on record
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:43 pm I have seen the episode where they got Bam-Bam, but I don’t recall Barney thinking about killing himself.
don't recall it either
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:22 pm Megan was at game 1 & 7 of the 2017 World Series rooting for the Dodgers. She may have lost some rooting interest from the Dodger haters who have made themselves known on the J! Board.

THE FLINTSTONES was played last which had me ready to grumble about it if not completed. Nope, the easy $3000 for home and show happened with each contestant in on the action. The writers are more than welcome to do a DJ! round version with Mr. Slate (J!6), Hoppy, The Way-Outs, Slaghoople, and one of Cary Granite/Ann-Margrock/Stony Curtis. Or Pebbles, Water Buffaloes, Joe Rockhead, Great Gazoo, and Ed Sullystone.

The FJ! category looked like trouble for me and it sure was as I thought I needed a company name with a pairing. Ben & Jerry’s were out for being VT. At no point did California = tech occur to me even after time was up and Alex said they shared the same first name. I’m a PC guy and I do not own an i anything. My response was Williams-Sonoma (somehow wishful that the Sonoma was a person) although I just as easily could have gone Sherwin-Williams.

I’m already over the miss. Lane may have taken a little longer to wash away the sting. That was an unusual replay the show used just before the ending showing Lane looking unhappy instead of a more typical winner’s reaction.

Congrats to all of you (and I know there will be more than one) who had the solve locked in at Bill Fernandez.

Lane was +10K on his DDs and that was still not nearly enough for the runaway he needed. Lane was getting better at J! by the day and he may have been stopped at exactly the right time for the players in next week’s pool. And next week will have the player known for a famous movie role.
no gruesomes?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:38 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:43 pm I have seen the episode where they got Bam-Bam, but I don’t recall Barney thinking about killing himself.
don't recall it either
Maybe they cut this out of the reruns (along with all the scenes of everybody in Bedrock smoking Winstons).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought the Solar System category was mixed up. Venus is $600, yet "sidearal month" and "Trojan" are above it?

Ran "Wood" and Flintstones, however.

There are king clams and mackerels? That totally threw me for a loop.

3/5 in Foreign Phrases. Had no idea on the French phrase, and blanked on the last word of "ex post ____".

Grr, they finally have a "Redwall" clue and I miss it. Guess it's just been too long since I read it.

Lach Trash: Kaa

California company? Well, that could be anything. I'm seeing absolutely nothing to narrow this down whatsoever.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I have read a lot of books about the founding of Apple, so this was a near instaget for me, but I'm not sure what the TOM for this was, besides "late 70s California would have to be a big tech company".
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Immediately came up with HP, but just as quickly switched to Apple. I figured HP isn't big enough to merit "BIG BUSINESS" anymore.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.