Friday, March 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Stanislaus Jacob
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, March 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

alietr wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:16 am To play devil's advocate: If you knew the three founders of Apple, wouldn't you know Bill Fernandez's name as well?
Even though I personally was not aware of this fact, "Did you know Apple really had three founders?" sounds like the sort of interesting trivia fact that someone might know without necessarily knowing the detailed early history of Apple. A possibly good analogy is that most trivia experts would know the names Stuart Sutcliffe and Pete Best, even if that was pretty much all they knew about the early days of the Beatles.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:42 am
alietr wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:16 am To play devil's advocate: If you knew the three founders of Apple, wouldn't you know Bill Fernandez's name as well?
Even though I personally was not aware of this fact, "Did you know Apple really had three founders?" sounds like the sort of interesting trivia fact that someone might know without necessarily knowing the detailed early history of Apple. A possibly good analogy is that most trivia experts would know the names Stuart Sutcliffe and Pete Best, even if that was pretty much all they knew about the early days of the Beatles.
And knowing who Fernandez is might be equivalent to knowing Billy Preston is the only credited artist on a Beatles record besides the Fab Four.
I would prefer not to.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:37 pm I often skip the interviews (because stuff like "I'm a Dodger fan and went to the WS" isn't very interesting, not that any story I could tell up there would be much better), but Alex, if someone mentions a caption contest, ask him what the caption was!!!

Instaget FJ. Lane must've thought "two founders" was the important bit, rather than Cali + 1970s. Too badd. I thought Lane had at least 4-5 days in him. Maybe if he had gone TDD with the first one, but then he probably wouldn't have bet 6k on the 2nd one.

Also, Barney contemplated suicide!?? That's...a lot darker than I remember the Flintstones being :shock:
That was also MY takeaway from this show. What a world, what a world....
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:23 pm I believe Lane read too much into the clue and thought the "two men" would be the namesake of the company.
Bamaman wrote: Good job by Mark to get back in the game. Nice work by Megan as well. She even had a chance to win thanks to Lane’s overbet.
Yes, Lane overwagered by $200, but his sin was nullified by Megan's lack of trying.
With that last minute flurry, Megan may have prevented Mark from getting within crush distance.
I also had Megan penciled in for all-in or nearly-all-in on FJ. Too bad she wimped out. Guess she was so busy protecting second place that she lost first.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:20 pm
OSXpert wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:24 pm I have read a lot of books about the founding of Apple, so this was a near instaget for me, but I'm not sure what the TOM for this was, besides "late 70s California would have to be a big tech company".
I thought of companies that are associated with co-founders, both of whom are well known. Apple suggested itself.
I thought of exactly the same thing. Apple was my second choice after I wrote down Microsoft. :(
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:35 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:18 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:22 pm And next week will have the player known for a famous movie role.
Whodat?? I watched the 12/12 taping and I think that is coming up next week.
Start here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4497&p=271018#p271001

and read the posts that follow.

Thank u MB. Sorry to go all TPH, but I NHO him and he NHO me. Looking forward to re-watching the episodes on TV, but I think it will be all new to me again. Such a long production lag - I sympathize with any players, especially winners!

Aside: I kind of find it amazing that we (the audience) were never told at any time not to discuss or reveal results or gameplay, especially in this age of social media. I'm thinking that they must have decided it's like when your mother tells you not to put beans in your ears. I hope no champs or players have ever been compromised or held at fault for spoilering in public :mrgreen:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Was a little surprised that the very first response was not a BMS and that Alex not only accepted but corrected the response. There are several sidereal "periods" including days and years in addition to months -- but Alex accepted "period" and then specified "month." I hate it when I start out a game disappointed.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

GoDores wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:50 pm Hey all! I'm Lane; I hope it's not rude to intrude on the thread of a game I played in. It was actually pretty neat to find this board and read about all the times I screwed up when I was on the show :lol:

I will say that a couple of the posters are right on one point: I felt confident in the category, so instead of betting to beat Mark by $1 I meant to wager the amount that would leave me with $1 more than Megan if she were the only person to answer correctly, and I got my math wrong by $200. I never even noticed it until I read this thread and went back and looked at the scores before FJ!. Oops.

On FJ!: Had the clue not specified "the two founders", I would have answered Apple, but I happened to know Apple was founded by three people (Google "Ronald Wayne", or if you have an Apple device ask Siri "who founded Apple?") so I thought the "the two founders" data point was meant to eliminate Apple. I brought the issue up with the producers, and emailed many links to various sources documenting the three founders, but they decided that information didn't make the clue wrong or ambiguous. I obviously disagree, but so it goes.
With you completely on the reasoning for the "the two founders" phrasing as opposed to something like "two of the founders" or simply "two founders."

Hope you keep fighting -- TPTB often make decisions based on very fine and specific phrasings. In my final appearance, I discounted the correct response by thinking "they want XYZ, but that's not how it happened." When queried, the producers said their answer was acceptable because the clue said "may have" instead of "did." I think you have a valid point. Unfortunately, Jeopardy doesn't issue rulings based on popular votes. Sigh.

At a minimum, it was lots of fun watching a really strong contestant and competitor -- congrats on what you were able to accomplish, and hope you and your friends enjoyed your watch party or parties!
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

GoDores wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:50 pm Hey all! I'm Lane; I hope it's not rude to intrude on the thread of a game I played in. It was actually pretty neat to find this board and read about all the times I screwed up when I was on the show :lol:

I will say that a couple of the posters are right on one point: I felt confident in the category, so instead of betting to beat Mark by $1 I meant to wager the amount that would leave me with $1 more than Megan if she were the only person to answer correctly, and I got my math wrong by $200. I never even noticed it until I read this thread and went back and looked at the scores before FJ!. Oops.

On FJ!: Had the clue not specified "the two founders", I would have answered Apple, but I happened to know Apple was founded by three people (Google "Ronald Wayne", or if you have an Apple device ask Siri "who founded Apple?") so I thought the "the two founders" data point was meant to eliminate Apple. I brought the issue up with the producers, and emailed many links to various sources documenting the three founders, but they decided that information didn't make the clue wrong or ambiguous. I obviously disagree, but so it goes.

i guess you didn't realise that hewlitt packard was founded over 30 years before the dates given
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 30, W: 3, costing 1800
Coryat: 23,200
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: 1/3
LT: equinox, horses, Kaa

Timings:
3:24 + 2:53 = 6:17
6:54
1:40

The J! round had my embarrassing miss of the day: Woodstock. I even paused the tape trying to pull up the right name. I was also a bit slow with the chess pieces, only getting one quickly enough.

Didn't do as well in the DJ round, only managing one right answer in three of the categories. Got 3 right in a lit category, which is probably a record for me. Enough TOMs did the trick, I guess.

For FJ, I wrote down Microsoft almost immediately. Then started thinking - and came up with Apple as a second possibility and wrote that down as well. The dates rattled around and at the last moment I drew a line through MS, thinking that it was just a little older than Apple and would have had a number of employees by 1977. The California TOM never entered my mind. Glad I made the right choice there.
--Peter
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Bartleby wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:19 am
And knowing who Fernandez is might be equivalent to knowing Billy Preston is the only credited artist on a Beatles record besides the Fab Four.
On the back cover of Revolver (lp version) Alan Civil is credited for "horn" on the song For No One.
davey

Post by davey »

xxaaaxx wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:37 pm I often skip the interviews (because stuff like "I'm a Dodger fan and went to the WS" isn't very interesting, not that any story I could tell up there would be much better), but Alex, if someone mentions a caption contest, ask him what the caption was!!!
Maybe not worth the time.
December 1, 2008
Two men with briefcases, walking together. One's dressed like a typical businessman, the other wears a sombrero, boots with spurs, and a bandolier. He says, I can't say for sure, but I think the airline mixed up my luggage.
The winning caption was, What makes you think I wouldn't be up for sushi?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

davey wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:56 pm
Maybe not worth the time.
December 1, 2008
Two men with briefcases, walking together. One's dressed like a typical businessman, the other wears a sombrero, boots with spurs, and a bandolier. He says, I can't say for sure, but I think the airline mixed up my luggage.
The winning caption was, What makes you think I wouldn't be up for sushi?
:? :|
...OK then. Kind of a letdown. But thanks for the follow-up.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

harrumph wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:55 pm
On the back cover of Revolver (lp version) Alan Civil is credited for "horn" on the song For No One.
That would be an additional musician credit. Preston is credited on the front sleeve and record label of "Get Back"/"Don't Let Me Down":
097BD770-2768-44D2-A507-C8C3DFD9F1A5.jpeg
097BD770-2768-44D2-A507-C8C3DFD9F1A5.jpeg (285.85 KiB) Viewed 4382 times
0E12A52B-8699-4A11-BCA2-0A8F40D0016D.jpeg
0E12A52B-8699-4A11-BCA2-0A8F40D0016D.jpeg (144.57 KiB) Viewed 4382 times
I would prefer not to.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Bartleby wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:22 am
That would be an additional musician credit. Preston is credited on the front sleeve and record label of "Get Back"/"Don't Let Me Down":

Your idea of an album credit is different from mine.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

harrumph wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:01 am
Bartleby wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:22 am

Your idea of an album credit is different from mine.
It's a fairly oft repeated bit of Beatles trivia. Preston's Wikipedia entry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Preston) mentions it in its opening paragraphs:
Preston was the only musician to be credited on a Beatles recording other than the group's four members: the group's number-one hit "Get Back" is credited to "The Beatles with Billy Preston"
Along with Alan Civil, others were credited with additional instrumentation on Beatles records, like "Mal 'organ' Evans on Hammond" and "George Martin on harmonium" from Rubber Soul.
I would prefer not to.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Revolver also had a credit for Anil Bhagwat playing tabla on "Love You To."
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

"The Beatles with Billy Preston" right on the front cover kind of puts Preston on a relatively equal footing (although "and Billy Preston" would be even more equal). It is true that sometimes other musicians were credited on the back covers, although very haphazardly and inconsistently as far as I can tell. Anyway, I first learned this fact from the c. 1990 yellow-and-blue official Jeopardy! book, which had several sample games and also thematic games assembled from categories used over the years. (IIRC they had a J round about various singers and then a DJ round solely about the Beatles.) At the time I had never heard of Billy Preston and might not even have known the song "Get Back," but I read that book a lot as a child and all the clues stuck in my mind.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bartleby wrote:And knowing who Fernandez is might be equivalent to knowing Billy Preston is the only credited artist on a Beatles record besides the Fab Four.
Stanislaus Jacob wrote: "The Beatles with Billy Preston" right on the front cover kind of puts Preston on a relatively equal footing (although "and Billy Preston" would be even more equal). It is true that sometimes other musicians were credited on the back covers, although very haphazardly and inconsistently as far as I can tell. Anyway, I first learned this fact from the c. 1990 yellow-and-blue official Jeopardy! book, which had several sample games and also thematic games assembled from categories used over the years. (IIRC they had a J round about various singers and then a DJ round solely about the Beatles.) At the time I had never heard of Billy Preston and might not even have known the song "Get Back," but I read that book a lot as a child and all the clues stuck in my mind.
And the Jeopardy! writers could be taken to task over that as well.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Category 13 wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:29 pm
Bartleby wrote:And knowing who Fernandez is might be equivalent to knowing Billy Preston is the only credited artist on a Beatles record besides the Fab Four.
Stanislaus Jacob wrote: "The Beatles with Billy Preston" right on the front cover kind of puts Preston on a relatively equal footing (although "and Billy Preston" would be even more equal). It is true that sometimes other musicians were credited on the back covers, although very haphazardly and inconsistently as far as I can tell. Anyway, I first learned this fact from the c. 1990 yellow-and-blue official Jeopardy! book, which had several sample games and also thematic games assembled from categories used over the years. (IIRC they had a J round about various singers and then a DJ round solely about the Beatles.) At the time I had never heard of Billy Preston and might not even have known the song "Get Back," but I read that book a lot as a child and all the clues stuck in my mind.
And the Jeopardy! writers could be taken to task over that as well.
Those aren't really Beatles records but cash grab repackage jobs of Tony Sheridan records from when they were his backing band.
I would prefer not to.