Friday, March 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Re: Friday, March 9, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Rackme32 »

CasketRomance wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:40 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:22 pm Megan was at game 1 & 7 of the 2017 World Series rooting for the Dodgers. She may have lost some rooting interest from the Dodger haters who have made themselves known on the J! Board.

THE FLINTSTONES was played last which had me ready to grumble about it if not completed. Nope, the easy $3000 for home and show happened with each contestant in on the action. The writers are more than welcome to do a DJ! round version with Mr. Slate (J!6), Hoppy, The Way-Outs, Slaghoople, and one of Cary Granite/Ann-Margrock/Stony Curtis. Or Pebbles, Water Buffaloes, Joe Rockhead, Great Gazoo, and Ed Sullystone.

The FJ! category looked like trouble for me and it sure was as I thought I needed a company name with a pairing. Ben & Jerry’s were out for being VT. At no point did California = tech occur to me even after time was up and Alex said they shared the same first name. I’m a PC guy and I do not own an i anything. My response was Williams-Sonoma (somehow wishful that the Sonoma was a person) although I just as easily could have gone Sherwin-Williams.

I’m already over the miss. Lane may have taken a little longer to wash away the sting. That was an unusual replay the show used just before the ending showing Lane looking unhappy instead of a more typical winner’s reaction.

Congrats to all of you (and I know there will be more than one) who had the solve locked in at Bill Fernandez.

Lane was +10K on his DDs and that was still not nearly enough for the runaway he needed. Lane was getting better at J! by the day and he may have been stopped at exactly the right time for the players in next week’s pool. And next week will have the player known for a famous movie role.
no gruesomes?
No Stony Carmichael?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

My sister and her husband both work worked for Apple*, so I locked onto the correct response right away BUT I did second guess myself for the same reason as Lane - I knew the company had 3 founders, but I followed my golden rule of Final Jeopardy!: when in doubt, go with the obvious response (unless, of course, they're asking for
Spoiler
"J" countries and you draw a total blank
*Got in early, now they're both retired... must be nice! #notbitter
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 NYT crossword puzzle

69A First name of two of the three Apple co-founders

(5 letters of course)

Yeah, thanks constructor Carl Worth & Editor Will Shortz - a little late to help me.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:10 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:43 pm
GoDores wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:50 pm On FJ!: Had the clue not specified "the two founders", I would have answered Apple, but I happened to know Apple was founded by three people (Google "Ronald Wayne", or if you have an Apple device ask Siri "who founded Apple?") so I thought the "the two founders" data point was meant to eliminate Apple. I brought the issue up with the producers, and emailed many links to various sources documenting the three founders, but they decided that information didn't make the clue wrong or ambiguous. I obviously disagree, but so it goes.
"The two founders" is inaccurate. Had the clue said "two founders" with no "the," it would have been fine, but you were steered wrong by wording that was off. "The two" means there were two in total. Don't give up.
On the "don't give up" front: I recalled that 2005 contestant Leslie Burns-Dell'Acqua's initial protestations on FJ wording were also blown off by the judges, but she was eventually brought back. https://web.archive.org/web/20060505011 ... dy-part-7/
So what exactly was the problem with her original FJ!?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:11 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:10 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:43 pm
GoDores wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:50 pm On FJ!: Had the clue not specified "the two founders", I would have answered Apple, but I happened to know Apple was founded by three people (Google "Ronald Wayne", or if you have an Apple device ask Siri "who founded Apple?") so I thought the "the two founders" data point was meant to eliminate Apple. I brought the issue up with the producers, and emailed many links to various sources documenting the three founders, but they decided that information didn't make the clue wrong or ambiguous. I obviously disagree, but so it goes.
"The two founders" is inaccurate. Had the clue said "two founders" with no "the," it would have been fine, but you were steered wrong by wording that was off. "The two" means there were two in total. Don't give up.
On the "don't give up" front: I recalled that 2005 contestant Leslie Burns-Dell'Acqua's initial protestations on FJ wording were also blown off by the judges, but she was eventually brought back. https://web.archive.org/web/20060505011 ... dy-part-7/
So what exactly was the problem with her original FJ!?
Here are her comments about it. The clue was, "On this date Philadelphia partied with fireworks & music from a Hessian band captured 6 months earlier." Long story short, she initially understood that the clue referred to the celebrations of the first anniversary of the Declaration of Independence, but second-guessed it based on the fact that the capture would have occurred during Washington's surprise attack on Christmas night 1776, which was more than six months before July 4, 1777. So she responded June 25, 1777.