Tuesday, March 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Re: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MDaunt »

Won the FJ coin flip. Slightly nauseous that Ayn Rand is still a thing.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

For anybody curious, here's the NYT article, from 2007-
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/15/busin ... .html?dlbk
hscer

Post by hscer »

Hints galore in this FJ. 1950s, page length, female author, business. But especially page length.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Insta on FJ because I remembered The Fountainhead is considerably less than 1,000 pages in just about any regular format. Atlas Shrugged has a chapter about a radio broadcast that feels like it's 1,000 pages all on its own.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

43 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Cuba, Citizen, Molly Pitcher, Thanksgiving, (Groundhog Day), Strait of Messina, (Taiwan)

Ran Literary Geography, Political Philosophy, Historic Women, and Strait Ahead.
Douglas Squasoni
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 26, W: 2, costing 2200
Coryat: 16,800
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: 1/3
LT: none

Timings:
2:50 + 3:00 = 5:50
7:09
1:29

The J! round was pretty quick today at less than 6 minutes. I counted but 2 TS clues, which always speeds things up. That left plenty of time for the DJ round, and gave the editors room to add more chit chat.

I got stumped in Lit in the J! round and Entertainment in the DJ. Par for the course there. Only got the obvious rebound in constellations. Did surprisingly well in Ben Hur, with 4/5. I guess I watched the movie early enough in my life for it to have made an impression. Also 4/5 in the body and ran acronyms (a surprisingly easy category for the DJ round - felt more like a J! round category to me).

Embarrassing miss of the day: propeller. RTFC! :oops:

Got my second FJ in a row. I've never read the book. But I know about it from participating in way too many political discussions in other places around the net. The clue makes more sense if you are aware that a significant number of people read it like an instruction manual rather than a novel.

I'm not at all fond of McKayle's wager. Zach made the obvious wager from the lead, which would leave him with 8000 on a miss. That's less than McKayle's current score, so a wager to remain above that (1599 or less in this case) would guarantee her the win if Zach misses. She didn't have to get it right to win, so an all-in wager is less than optimal. A 1599 wager would also leave her above Paris' doubled score, locking in second place at worst.
--Peter
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

davey wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:42 pm I've never been much interested in reading Rand ...
Don't. Do. It.

Count me as another Fountainhead, only because Atlas Shrugged didn't come to me in time, and is clearly the right answer of the two.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:34 pm My apologies for including you in my remarks. You have heard of the work. We'll take it. You were in better shape than me as it sounds like if you had had it down to a 50:50 you would have gone the right way. And, for one of the right reasons with the decade knowledge.
What's even worse is, I googled "1950s novels" between the end of the Think music and the reveal of the first response. What do you think the first result was?
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Meant to mention that I went in to FJ with a better than usual attitude on a lit category. I knew that Catcher in the Rye and Fahrenheit 451 were both from the 50s and popular with J! writers. So I was looking for one of those. Surprised myself by getting a different book from that period.
--Peter
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: I had a really costly brainfart on Acronyms $2000. I got the SAL letters correct and managed to bungle the T (I said treaty), despite the fact that it was given in the clue. Good thing that happened at home rather than on stage.
I always blow that acronym with Soviet instead of Strategic.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Her bet also cost her $1,000.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

We can now officially say that the "Get Well Alex" video is ALL Jeopardy alum. :)
Douglas Squasoni
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

I perused Paris’s IMDb bio prior to tonight’s episode, and I noticed that among the things on his CV since starring in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory is “real estate broker.” Hey, you know who else went from a stint in show biz to hawking property? Press Your Luck host Peter Tomarken! Which reminded me...
Spoiler
...that today is the twelfth anniversary of Tomarken’s sudden passing in a plane crash, returning from a mission of mercy.
$24,200 tonight; whiffed on both the DDs, and took a $2k neg in “The Human Body” which gets filed under “knowing too much” (I recalled adenosine triphosphate from high school biology). 1950’s in the category + business, woman, and YOOGE in the clue got me right to the author, and I finally seem to have internalized (The Fountainhead/early 1940s/Howard Roark) vs. (Atlas Shrugged/late 1950s/John Galt).

Tomorrow, Zach Dark from Alabama will look to match the Dark Lord from Alabama (aka Darren Harris-Fain) on three wins.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Jasper wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:37 pm I was a devotee of Ayn Rand's writings back in the day, and read (and re-read) Atlas Shrugged several times. Indeed, I heard her speak about the book in a public forum. It is inconceivable that she would have characterized Atlas Shrugged as a business book. Rather, it is a sweeping novel, with a strong philosophical theme (what happens when wo/men of the mind go on strike), that has business people as several of its central characters. The wording of the FJ clue was misleading.

Jasper
Whether or not Rand would have considered it a business book is irrelevant. What an author thinks of a work and what becomes the consensus opinion of the masses aren't always exactly similar. (I can't come up with similar book (mis)interpretations, but consider REM's The One I Love is considered a love song! It's played at weddings!) AS is basically considered a how-to guide by the C-suite crowd these days.
Anachronism wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:33 pm Insta on FJ because I remembered The Fountainhead is considerably less than 1,000 pages in just about any regular format. Atlas Shrugged has a chapter about a radio broadcast that feels like it's 1,000 pages all on its own.
The Fountainhead fit into one 2ish hour long movie (that feels like 6 hours). Atlas Shrugged became a movie trilogy which, well...
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/search/?q=atlas%20shrugged
That's my measure of page length. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My precall was To Kill A Mockingbird. Turns out it was published in 1960 so wouldn't have fit the category, but I came up with Atlas Shrugged immediately when FJ was revealed.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

A little knowledge can be a good thing - I got this FJ as instaget from the studio audience, and even got it right on the replay. I know very little modern literature except the J! canon of books and plays that show up regularly like Catcher in the Rye, Tropic of (), and this turd book by the turd author (disclaimer- I am establishing guilt by association).

This game was a horse race but the dark man was no dark horse. I remember the opening question with the silly miss about the eggs.

Was Paris' geography question a hard one? It seemed brutal to me and I haven't picked up on too many boardies claiming it. It was painful to see him go down in flames in person and in replay.

Happy Pi day, everybody. :mrgreen:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Anachronism wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:33 pm Insta on FJ because I remembered The Fountainhead is considerably less than 1,000 pages in just about any regular format. Atlas Shrugged has a chapter about a radio broadcast that feels like it's 1,000 pages all on its own.
I didn't know how long Fountainhead was, but I had a vague feeling that Atlas Shrugged was the more infamously lengthy of the two. Also, though architecture of course is a business for those who engage in it, it doesn't seem as businessy as some other professions.

I have never read Rand. I have heard that she is someone you have to read when you're young (which, except in a literal sense, I am not). Oh well. I will try to look on the bright side.

My mother was more upset over her death than John Belushi's. Generation gap.

ETA--The local used book store had both of these Rand titles in the 48¢ bin today. In their Signet paperback editions, Atlas Shrugged is 1069 pages and Fountainhead a lean 694.
Last edited by Lefty on Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm smart and I want respect.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:57 pm ...
Embarrassing miss of the day: propeller. RTFC! :oops:
Ooh, sorry. That response is five letters too long. Remember the category.
OCSam
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Lefty wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:01 am I have never read Rand. I have heard that she is someone you have to read when you're young (which, except in a literal sense, I am not). Oh well. I will try to look on the bright side.

My mother was more upset over her death than John Belushi's. Generation gap.
I think it more has to be read as quasi-mysticism, like many of the popular Japanese authors. Objectivism itself can be a fun offshoot of libertarianism, as long as it's kept as a theory. It is really, really against the zeitgeist right now. I'd imagine college kids today would have to sneak around and read it in the dungeons of libraries well after dark. Though no self-respecting '10s college librarian would allow it in the building. Anthem was political, but about Alisa's early life before she became philosophical. The Fountainhead was fun, genius work if you take away the cartooney love story. Atlas Shrugged is more a manifesto and gets awfully bogged down with the preaching. I could imagine Trump being a character, or at least wishing he were a character in it.

I would recommend The Fountainhead for people who like a good, long read and don't mind unpopular philosophies.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:49 pm I spent most of the think music struggling between Fountainhead and the correct answer (which I ended up going with).
I did that, too, but seemed to think The Foundtainhead was a 1940s novel; certainly was before Atlas Shrugged.

If they hadn't said that it was a female author, I never would have come up with it.