Friday, December 30, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Friday, December 30, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Paucle »

Yeah, if I'm at Dave's podium for that FJ, I'm maximizing my wallet, no doubt. 16k would be my wager.
Was surprised at the TS. Under the radar of one, maybe, but all three? Yikes.

Tehshigelisok
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by Tehshigelisok »

Bamaman wrote:You chould know the British monarchs if you get on the show and the first one, though wordy, was just asking who was king after Victoria.
I will never understand how anyone can keep any famous royalty straight. They're all single name + Roman numeral for the most part, aren't they? How would I ever be able to tell apart, say, Louis XIV and XVI?

Also, I agree with those who say the FJ! wasn't very good. I don't really like ones where there's no TOM to speak of. On the other hand, "big artists who never had a #1" seems like it's a manageable list worth memorizing. CCR and Taylor Swift are two more that I can think of.
Really, I'm TenPoundHammer. Same as always.

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: Ty Cobb a Cardinal who attended the 2011 World Series? That's worse than putting A-Rod at short.
Perhaps he would have been a more appropriate guest at the 2006 Series, where perhaps both he and Stan Musial could have appeared as the Tigers played the Cardinals. Of course, the notoriously mean-spirited Cobb probably would have kicked the cane out from under Musial, which if the game was being played in St. Louis could have made him the first 119-year old to ever start a riot.

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

jeff6286 wrote:
Bamaman wrote: Ty Cobb a Cardinal who attended the 2011 World Series? That's worse than putting A-Rod at short.
Perhaps he would have been a more appropriate guest at the 2006 Series, where perhaps both he and Stan Musial could have appeared as the Tigers played the Cardinals. Of course, the notoriously mean-spirited Cobb probably would have kicked the cane out from under Musial, which if the game was being played in St. Louis could have made him the first 119-year old to ever start a riot.
At least the A-Rod statement is true historically. I don't think faulting him for that mistake, considering he lives in GA, he may not the shortstop of the Yankees.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Tehshigelisok wrote:
I will never understand how anyone can keep any famous royalty straight. They're all single name + Roman numeral for the most part, aren't they? How would I ever be able to tell apart, say, Louis XIV and XVI?
Well, one was Louis XV's son, while the other was his father. Also, one was the Sun King, and the other was married to Marie Antoinette. That's just about everything that I can tell you about them, but I'm sure Wikipedia might have some more information if you are interested.

Interestingly, Alex only gave the correct response to the first clue in that category as Edward, not Edward VII, so I assume the players only needed to give the child's name, not his future title, so the number following Edward wouldn't have been necessary. However, I assume that if someone had mistakenly said Edward VI or Edward VIII, they probably would have been negged.

jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

Tehshigelisok wrote:
bpmod wrote:But, compared to other crap music of the era, it ranks extremely high on the scale of good solid rock music.
Hell, compared to what's out there in 2011, even this song sounds like a freaking masterpiece.
I clicked it. Well played.

Tehshigelisok

Post by Tehshigelisok »

jeff6286 wrote:Well, one was Louis XV's son, while the other was his father.
You're not helping.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:
Tehshigelisok wrote:
Well, one was Louis XV's son, while the other was his father. Also, one was the Sun King, and the other was married to Marie Antoinette. That's just about everything that I can tell you about them, but I'm sure Wikipedia might have some more information if you are interested.

Interestingly, Alex only gave the correct response to the first clue in that category as Edward, not Edward VII, so I assume the players only needed to give the child's name, not his future title, so the number following Edward wouldn't have been necessary. However, I assume that if someone had mistakenly said Edward VI or Edward VIII, they probably would have been negged.

Louis XIV was the great-grandfather of Louis XV, who was the grandfather of Louis XVI, who is known for losing his head.

I think today's clue said "this king", so a regnal number may have been needed. And yes, even if it hadn't, someone adding the wrong number gets negged.

Yes, they repeat a lot of names, but keeping them straight helps on the show. Not knowing them cost Larissa the TOC. They come up a lot, especially the British ones.

MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Roadgeek Adam wrote:It took me 20 seconds to figure out the artist, but I got Springsteen because of the second half of the clue (the lack of #1 hits). However, that DJ Round just felt plain cruel. Nice to see Dave keep a good face on the entire time. Didn't feel so bad when you're laughing.

Actually, Springsteen DOES have a #1 hit to his credit. Just that it's Manfred Mann's remake of "Blinded By the Light" (early 1977), which most people don't know is a remake.

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
Roadgeek Adam wrote:It took me 20 seconds to figure out the artist, but I got Springsteen because of the second half of the clue (the lack of #1 hits). However, that DJ Round just felt plain cruel. Nice to see Dave keep a good face on the entire time. Didn't feel so bad when you're laughing.

Actually, Springsteen DOES have a #1 hit to his credit. Just that it's Manfred Mann's remake of "Blinded By the Light" (early 1977), which most people don't know is a remake.
I don't tend to claim his version of Blinded by the Light as anywhere near legit. You sing it, its your single. The songwriter should get credit for nothing more than being the writer. Besides Springsteen wasn't allowed to sing most of his originally, which is why Manfred Mann's Earth Band had it.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Paucle wrote:Yeah, if I'm at Dave's podium for that FJ, I'm maximizing my wallet, no doubt. 16k would be my wager.
Was surprised at the TS. Under the radar of one, maybe, but all three? Yikes.

Not sure what I'd have bet in that spot. Music is far from my wheelhouse and I'm going to be less free with my money on just my second day. I might have gone as high as $5,000.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:FJ was an instaget, although technically Springsteen has a #1 hit as he wrote "Blinded By the Light".
MDCSWildcats86 wrote:Actually, Springsteen DOES have a #1 hit to his credit. Just that it's Manfred Mann's remake of "Blinded By the Light" (early 1977), which most people don't know is a remake.
I know it as a remake, and it is a bit of an anachronism, as I generally hate remakes, and, even moreso hate when the artist doing the remake cannot take the time to learn the words, but, for some reason, this ranks up near number two as my favourite remake of all time.

That being said, however, no writer is ever given credit for the number one. If so, we'd have no Mariah Carey or Celine Dion number ones, and many more Mae Axton & Mac Davis* number ones.
Roadgeek Adam wrote:I don't tend to claim his version of Blinded by the Light as anywhere near legit. You sing it, its your single. The songwriter should get credit for nothing more than being the writer. Besides Springsteen wasn't allowed to sing most of his originally, which is why Manfred Mann's Earth Band had it.
OK. His version? Bruce's version? He wrote it. He sang it the way he wrote it. That is nothing but legit. Unless you mean Manfred Mann's version, which would seem to contradict your next statement.

And, Springsteen wasn't allowed to sing his songs? Who wouldn't allow him? How could they stop him? Oh, and, why then was Blinded By The Light a remake? BECAUSE BRUCE SANG IT FIRST!!!

Sorry for shouting.

* Not researched. Just names off the top of my head.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I am far from an expert on the music industry, but perhaps when he wrote the early songs he was under contract to a record company and they owned the rights to decide who could record and release them.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:I am far from an expert on the music industry, but perhaps when he wrote the early songs he was under contract to a record company and they owned the rights to decide who could record and release them.
Well, if that were the case, it would not explain how or why he recorded and released the particular song in question first.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

That was brutal. But congrats again, Dave!

About 5 seconds into the music, I landed on Sting and just stopped thinking. I knew Synchronicity came out right in that time frame and it was The Police's biggest album. I'm so sorry, Bruce. I still love you. Can we just blame this on my cold and forget it every happened?

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I was thinking of boardies tonight. Econgator: On Deck and Seaborgium: Well, he knows which one.

When rhapsody was not hit that was an early tip we were in for a bumpy night, ride and time.

Sometimes viewers would like the 4th podium. Tonight I wanted the first podium. My sheet shows 20400 entering FJ (missed the promenade and Greenland DDs) and my wager on Rock Icons would have been 9600. My confidence in the category would not dictate 16799, but I would have taken a chance on a bigger payday and left myself five figures on a miss.

It took me two names and less than 3 seconds to solve the clue as Phil Collins popped in momentarily. The Boss clicked in immediately next and I was done. As a faithful Casey Kasem listener back then it was a snap to recall the relevant facts.

Tom's book would seem to be this one: http://www.amazon.com/Traffic-Drive-Wha ... 271&sr=1-1

Ty Cobb? Yes, please beat me to the buzzer on Musial and let the clue be worth $4000.

I don't know what was not played in British Novels by Character, but I suspect it would have completed a TOC level category.

OrangeSAM

Post by OrangeSAM »

Miss Mellie wrote:That was brutal. But congrats again, Dave!

About 5 seconds into the music, I landed on Sting and just stopped thinking. I knew Synchronicity came out right in that time frame and it was The Police's biggest album. I'm so sorry, Bruce. I still love you. Can we just blame this on my cold and forget it every happened?
Ruled that out because in 1983 Every Breath You Take was number one for, like, the summer.
OCSam

teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I considered Springsteen, but I didn't think Born in the USA had seven singles chart off of it, so I switched to Prince for the sake of having something to say.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Tehshigelisok wrote:DJ! was rocky, yes, but not the worst. I don't think I even need to reiterate which game would have the worst DJ!
I know which you're referring to, but I think http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1001 is worse. All three finished DJ with less than they had at its start.

Eked out Springsteen. The 1984 album with seven hit singles made me think of Michael Jackson, but the lack of #1s and the clue's present-tense phrasing made me reluctant. Then 1984 made me think of Born in the USA, but I couldn't believe that the album could have had seven hits, or Springsteen twelve. But in the last few seconds of the think music I remembered the category and mentally locked in Springsteen, unsure of him as I was. I'm going to go ahead and imagine that as having both names written down and crossing out Jackson in the last moments. 27/30 in the last six weeks.

Tehshigelisok

Post by Tehshigelisok »

MarkBarrett wrote:I don't know what was not played in British Novels by Character, but I suspect it would have completed a TOC level category.
Martin the Warrior. Foremole. Skipper of otters.