Wednesday, March 14, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I predicted that the contestants wouldn't get the gist of the "Perfect" category and stick the "What is" at the beginning anyway.

WNEM broke in for a health alert, causing me to miss about 4 clues. Thank you, Reddit!

Can't say I've heard of rimless glasses before. Ended up with a rare 0/5 in a word category.

Lach Trash: Maundy Thursday, Street Fighter

====

I know the "Two senators and at least one representative, with more depending on the size of the state" formula. But the wording of "as its total of senators & representatives" just seemed so off. I couldn't put my finger on it, but something just wasn't making sense, and it made my brain completely lock up.

====
heppm01 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:24 pm I know the above is meant in jest but I think it is borderline insensitive.
I took it in jest. At least you're not implying that I want to have sex with a fox.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:36 pm FJ would've been on the simple side if they had just said "'DC has this many electors', thirty seconds, good luck!", with no other hints. Telling us that it matches the minimum for states made it too easy. SPELLING OUT THE EXACT FORMULA for how many electors each state has? Criminal. I guess they can't all be TOC-level...
Not to mention the fact that "DC=3 electoral votes" is the whole point of the 23rd amendment!
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

RobW wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:53 pm Not to mention the fact that "DC=3 electoral votes" is the whole point of the 23rd amendment!
I KNEW THAT TOO! WHY THE HELL DIDN'T I GET THIS?!?
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:41 pm I predicted that the contestants wouldn't get the gist of the "Perfect" category and stick the "What is" at the beginning anyway.

WNEM broke in for a health alert, causing me to miss about 4 clues. Thank you, Reddit!

Can't say I've heard of rimless glasses before. Ended up with a rare 0/5 in a word category.

Lach Trash: Maundy Thursday, Street Fighter

====

I know the "Two senators and at least one representative, with more depending on the size of the state" formula. But the wording of "as its total of senators & representatives" just seemed so off. I couldn't put my finger on it, but something just wasn't making sense, and it made my brain completely lock up.

====
heppm01 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:24 pm I know the above is meant in jest but I think it is borderline insensitive.
I took it in jest. At least you're not implying that I want to have sex with a fox.

You have awfully low standards. Anyway, surprising to see anybody miss FJ. Good game & I'm glad to have a champ who I can understand. That accent was annoying for me.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

Nicknames (5), Ends with "SS" (0), TV Presidential Ticket (4), Perfect (1), Mistake (5), Wine (2)
Earth Science (2), Biographies (4), 20th Century References (2), Monarchy (4), South American Capitals (5), Pop "Street" (4)

Lach Trash: Bacchus, Ron Chernow, Street Fighter; Daily Double: Oliver Cromwell

I may have seen before how many votes DC has had, but I remembered the at-large status number because of Wyoming.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:46 pm Allison ran ENDS WITH “SS” to earn the applause.
Yup, Johnny Gilbert gave us the signal. It sounded much weaker on TV than I expected - we tried our best![/quote]
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:46 pm Do we have a term (other than coincidence) for a clue mentioning a recently deceased person? WHAT A HIGH-CLASS MISTAKE! $800: Calling the 2005 paper “Information In Black Holes” by this Cambridge prof. “Derivative”? Bad form
I hope the 2 week pushup of the show schedule didn't contribute to the professor's demise...
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:46 pm Clue 30 of the DJ! round did not air although it seemed like there could have been an edit signaling the end of the round that perhaps indicated the players saw the clue and it went TS.

I don't remember if it was shown and it wouldn't have occurred to me to make a note. I dropped my notes underneath the seats anyway, so it's mostly all new to me again.
heppm01 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:45 pm I guess this episode settles the question of whether the show would accept a response that is already in the form of a question. Not only a whole category, but Alex even made a point of saying they don't need to "double question" (my words) the response. A precedent has been set.
Alex's frustration was palpable watching the taping live, and we all groaned when she botched it the second time.
This was an easy get for me, but I can see how it might be a teaser if you are not an election junkie. Even if you know there are 435 districts, just what is the chance the smallest state only has 1 Congressman? After all, they average 8.7 per state. I think it's remarkable that there are states that sparsely populated.

As for TPH, unless this factoid came up in a previous trivia quest, I don't see it being a slam dunk. I'm with Alietr, when he breaks the drought, it will be on one that I have no clue about because he knows a lot of crap (meant in a good way).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:40 pm This was an easy get for me, but I can see how it might be a teaser if you are not an election junkie. Even if you know there are 435 districts, just what is the chance the smallest state only has 1 Congressman? After all, they average 8.7 per state. I think it's remarkable that there are states that sparsely populated.
7 states have only 3 electors (DC would be 8). And infamously, Wyoming has a lower population than DC.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Let's get the awful stats out of the way.

R: 23, W: 5, costing 5200
Coryat: 13,200
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: 1/3
LT: none. again.

Timings:
3:01+3:27 = 6:28
6:39
1:37

I got stumped in TV Shows, Wine, and S. American capitals, but Ends with "SS" was my worst, with 1 right and 2 wrong. Missed 2 in Brit Monarchs, more than offsetting the 3 rights. Ran 20th Century References. Got one in Bios, but only because I knew who painted the Mona Lisa. (And even then, I stopped the playback for a couple of seconds because I wasn't going to let that one go with a clam.)

But how about those FJ wagers? I took the time to work them out before watching FJ. Peter's standard wager would be 8001. Zach is in Stratton's dilemma, wanting to wager less than 3400 to stay ahead of Peter if they both miss OR more than 3800 to stay ahead of Allison if they're both right. On a neg by Peter (and with the standard leader's wager), he'd end up with 9200. That's more than Allison has, so she has to get the question right to win. That leads to an all-in wager by her. (Which she mostly did.)

Now to work out Zach's dilemma choice. If Allison gets it right from 3rd place, there's a good chance that all 3 will get it right. That would put weight on the "more than 3800" wager. In that situation, Zach can't win, so the larger wager will salvage 2nd place. But the only way to win is with a miss by Peter. Staying above his score on a miss means wagering less than 3400. That gives Allison a chance to sneak in, but only with a sole get.

I went back and forth a bit, and decided that in Zach's position, I'd want to wager to win with a right answer. I'd hate to get it right, then lose to the trailing player. That gives me the "over 3800" choice. Zach apparently agreed, then wisely chose to up the wager to cover Peter's current score in case he wagered nothing.

Of course, all the strategy is for naught, because Peter gets it right, negating his overwager and my overthinking of Zach's choices.
--Peter
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:47 pm
DBear wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:43 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:05 pm Surely this will end Hammer’s drought.
I certainly hope so. I thought this would be a triget for a teen tournament, can't believe Allison missed twice.
I'll take the under.
It could literally be any positive integer.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:37 am
I certainly hope so. I thought this would be a triget for a teen tournament, can't believe Allison missed twice.
I'll take the under.
But this is Pi day (for 7 more minutes). So why not a transcendental number?
Now to beware the Ides of March!
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:59 pm It sounded like Zach said Hawkings.
The initial S of Alex's "Stephen" comes hard upon the end of Zach's "Hawking." Maybe that's what you heard.
Yeah, kind of a ridiculous FJ...whew! after reading the category... :roll:
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:54 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:37 am
I'll take the under.
But this is Pi day (for 7 more minutes). So why not a transcendental number?
Now to beware the Ides of March!
And nobody has pointed out that the correct FJ question was pi (rounded to zero decimal places).
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Just a few days ago I had one of the hardest (for me) games in memory. This one made up for it.

41 R
0 W

Got all three DDs plus Instaget FJ plus Coryat of $34,800. I'll take it.

And strange coincidence that we get the Hawking clue on the day of his death. I hope he gets to see God face to face and ask Him all those unanswered questions (I heard he wanted to know "why is there a universe, instead of nothing?")
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:38 pm The category made me think of this episode.

Hence why they have you write the beginning of the question before FJ even begins. That was painful to watch.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Since I voted in two presidential elections while I was a District resident, I don't think I was going to miss that one under any circumstances.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:05 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:40 pm This was an easy get for me, but I can see how it might be a teaser if you are not an election junkie. Even if you know there are 435 districts, just what is the chance the smallest state only has 1 Congressman? After all, they average 8.7 per state. I think it's remarkable that there are states that sparsely populated.
7 states have only 3 electors (DC would be 8). And infamously, Wyoming has a lower population than DC.
THAT I didn't realize, but of course knew MT had only 3. And I know the state abbreviation since many of my business contacts think I work in MOntana. Just for S&G's, my shot at guessing the insignificant seven:
Spoiler
MT, WY, AK, ND, SD, VT, RI. Tossup on Dakotas and 50/50 on VT/NH. Pretty sure NE has 4.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:00 am
Volante wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:05 am
THAT I didn't realize, but of course knew MT had only 3. And I know the state abbreviation since many of my business contacts think I work in MOntana. Just for S&G's, my shot at guessing the insignificant seven:
Spoiler
MT, WY, AK, ND, SD, VT, RI. Tossup on Dakotas and 50/50 on VT/NH. Pretty sure NE has 4.
Spoiler
DE instead of RI (4), so 6 for 7. I was amused by that too, RI not having the minimum. And NE has 5.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral ... stribution
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I hated the "perfect" category and the chiding reminder by Alex. It's not fair to ask contestants to go against their Jeopardy instincts and change the phrasing of their responses just to satisfy a gimmick category. At least they didn't penalize for it.
davey

Post by davey »

Woppy T wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:48 pm I hated the "perfect" category and the chiding reminder by Alex. It's not fair to ask contestants to go against their Jeopardy instincts and change the phrasing of their responses just to satisfy a gimmick category. At least they didn't penalize for it.
I believe it was meant to be a gentle reminder that "form of a question" means what it says. IIRC correctly not one contestant followed the category suggestion or Alex's hint - though they could have without penalty, that's the point.
I'm not a big fan of some folks' J! instincts - like the one that sends somebody back up to the top of a category when an opponent has skipped it looking for DDs, or to a new category when there may a DD under that $1000 slot you just left behind...
billiej

Post by billiej »

davey wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:15 pm
Woppy T wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:48 pm I hated the "perfect" category and the chiding reminder by Alex. It's not fair to ask contestants to go against their Jeopardy instincts and change the phrasing of their responses just to satisfy a gimmick category. At least they didn't penalize for it.
I believe it was meant to be a gentle reminder that "form of a question" means what it says. IIRC correctly not one contestant followed the category suggestion or Alex's hint - though they could have without penalty, that's the point.
I'm not a big fan of some folks' J! instincts - like the one that sends somebody back up to the top of a category when an opponent has skipped it looking for DDs, or to a new category when there may a DD under that $1000 slot you just left behind...
Or "I'll take [full category name] for [x] dollars, please and thank you, Alex."