Thursday, March 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7719, 2018-03-15

CONTESTANTS
Amy Yacorzynski, an attorney from New Orleans, Louisiana
Tracey Hollabaugh, a teacher from Cumming, Georgia
Peter Karamitsos, a software salesman from Elmhurst, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $27,400)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, everyone. Thank you, Johnny. I'm very happy with the way this week has been developing so far. All of our champions have been earning above average, and that's good. Tracey and Amy, that's good news for you two also. Let's see what happens in this half-hour, shall we? We start off as we always do with the Jeopardy! Round that contains one Daily Double in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BAD ADJECTIVES FOR A DATING PROFILE (5/5)
SPORTS TRADITIONS (4/5)
WEBSITES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
A DOG & PONY & LEMUR SHOW (4/5)
STATE HOLIDAYS (3/3)
REAL "D" LIGHTS (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will end with the letter "D"--the letter "D" by itself.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tracey: 12 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Peter: 7 R, 0 W
Amy: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Amy: $2,600
Tracey: $2,400
Peter: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Amy Yacorzynski is an attorney from New Orleans, who is a member of something with a very long name, and I'll let you tell the folks what it is.

Amy: So I'm in a group that is essentially a piano-driven, acoustic, garage rock, power choir where we do singalong music. We provide singalong sheets for the audience and basically lead an entire barroom full of people in songs and joy.

Alex: Sounds like a fun group, though.

Amy: Yes.

Alex: Tracey Hollabaugh from Cumming, Georgia. A teacher. Earlier this week, we had a contestant on our program--Zach, our champion--who mentioned that he was afraid of dangerous rides, and he rode on one called the Terroride. You rode on one that was nicknamed...

Tracey: The Vomit Comet.

Alex: Where was this?

Tracey: This is actually a specially equipped plane that is used to simulate weightless conditions.

Alex: Ah.

Tracey: That is used to train astronauts. So there were a group of us teachers who were selected by the Northrup Grumman Foundation to actually go and experience weightless conditions.

Alex: Where did this take place?

Tracey: It was out of Atlanta, and it was amazing. You have very weird dreams that night. And we talked to other people, and they all agreed they had very weird dreams last night.

Alex: I have very weird dreams every night.

[Laughter]

Alex: And I haven't been on the Vomit Comet. I've gotta start worrying about me.

Alex: Peter Karamitsos from Elmhurst, Illinois.

Peter: Yes.

Alex: A late bloomer. He mentioned that he learned to speak Greek in his 30s. Learned to play a musical instrument in his 40s. Which instrument?

Peter: Guitar. I picked up acoustic guitar so I could play for my two lovely daughters. And then after that I picked piano in my 50s, so...

Alex: Way to go.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tracey found the Daily Double on the 21st clue. Peter had $2,800, Tracey had $4,600, and Amy was at $2,600. Tracey wagered $2,000.

WEBSITES $1000: In 2008 this former editor of Vanity Fair & the New Yorker launched the Daily Beast
(Tracey: Got nothing.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SPORTS TRADITIONS $600: In a Dec. game, Taylor U. hoops fans don't make a sound until the team hits point 10; later, all sing this appropriate carol

A DOG & PONY & LEMUR SHOW $800: This state's Chincoteague Island, off its eastern shore, is known as a playground for wild ponies
(Tracey: What is North Carolina?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Peter: $3,800
Tracey: $3,800
Amy: $2,800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, March 15, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I AM HUSSEIN (2/4, including 1 missed Daily Double)
'80s MUSIC (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
SOMEHOW THEY PULLED IT OFF (5/5)
LITERARY STYLES & MOVEMENTS (5/5)
MY TREATY (4/5)
I'LL PICK UP THE "TAB" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Peter: 8 R, 0 W
Tracey: 9 R, 1 W
Amy: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Amy snagged the next Daily Double on the 1st clue. Peter had $3,800, Tracey had $3,800, and Amy was at $2,800. Amy made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,800.

'80s MUSIC $800: Him: "Well, I knew I was in trouble now
my hope of winning sank 'cause I got the Daily Double now & then my mind went blank"
(Alex: "I Lost On Jeopardy!".)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Amy who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Peter had $12,600, Tracey had $11,400, and Amy was at $17,200. Amy wagered $200.

I AM HUSSEIN $1600: Formerly the mufti of Tuzla, Husein Kavazovic is the current grand mufti of this one-time Yugoslav republic
(Amy: What is Kosovo?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MY TREATY $1600: France got Alsace & Lorraine in the Peace of this, ending the Thirty Years’ War in 1648

I AM HUSSEIN $1200: In December 2003 TV watchers worldwide saw this man's mouth being swabbed for a DNA sample

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Amy: $17,000
Peter: $12,600
Tracey: $11,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN RIVERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Amy: Wager $8,201 to cover Peter.
Peter: You ought to wager to cover Tracey, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $12,600. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $10,200 (to shut out Tracey) or less than $3,800 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Tracey). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Amy.
Tracey: Consider risking between $1,201 and $2,600. This will top a $0 wager by Peter while still beating Amy on the Triple Stumper (should Amy wager to cover Peter's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 10 countries the Danube touches, this one is alphabetically last & is the only one that doesn't end in "Y" or "A"

FINAL SCORES
Tracey: $11,400 - $11,399 = $1 (What Czech R) (3rd place: $1,000)
Peter: $12,600 + $11,000 = $23,600 (What Ukraine) (2-day champion: $51,000)
Amy: $17,000 - $8,201 = $8,799 (What is Switzerland?) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Amy: $15,200, 15 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Tracey: $13,400, 21 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Peter: $12,600, 15 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $41,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Tracey: 21/59 = .356
Peter: 16/58 = .276
Amy: 15/60 = .250
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
REAL "D" LIGHTS $400: One of his early forays into rap was fittingly on the song "Public Enemy No. 1"

REAL "D" LIGHTS $600: "Open some smiles" with this fruity drink, perhaps the orange strawberry variety
(Tracey: What is Sunny Delight?)

A DOG & PONY & LEMUR SHOW $1000: The sole living representative of its family, this double-named lemur sounds like a Navy man's "yes, sir!"
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

A DOG & PONY & LEMUR SHOW $400: This tracking dog has been described as a unique-looking dog in a baggy suit

A DOG & PONY & LEMUR SHOW $200: The average height of this pony named for an island group is 40 inches--it's so short that it's not measured in hands
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

'80s MUSIC $2000: “Paid in Full” was the 1987 platinum debut album of Eric B. and this MC seen here

MY TREATY $800: In 1929 Benito Mussolini signed the Lateran Treaty, creating this very, very tiny country
(Tracey: What is San Marino?)

SOMEHOW THEY PULLED IT OFF $2000: Sudbury, England unveiled a statue of this "Blue Boy" homeboy in 1913 & reenacted the unveiling in 2013

LITERARY STYLES & MOVEMENTS $1200: Cyberpunk is sci-fi set in the future; this is sci-fi set in the 19th century
(Alex: With less than a minute.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Tina Brown
"Silent Night"
Virginia
Weird Al
Bosnia-Herzegovnia
Treaty of Westphalia
Saddam Hussein
Ukraine
Chuck D
SunnyD
an aye-aye
a bloodhound
a Shetland
Rakim
Vatican City
Gainsborough
steampunk
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN RIVERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 10 countries the Danube touches, this one is alphabetically last & is the only one that doesn’t end in “Y” or “A”

Peter Karamitsos: 12600+11000=23600 (2x = $51,000)
Tracey Hollabaugh: 11400-11399=1
Amy Yacorzynski: 17000-8201=8799

Correct response:
Spoiler
Ukraine (Tracey – Czech R) (Amy – Switzerland)

Daily Doubles
Tracey: 4600-2000
Amy: 2800+2800
Amy: 17200-200

Coryats
Peter: 12600
Tracey: 13400
Amy: 15200

Combined: 41,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Peter: 3800
Tracey: 3800
Amy: 2800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice find by Amy to open up the DJ! round and find DD2 in ’80s MUSIC. The double up worked out well on this clue any contestant would hate to miss:

Him: “Well, I knew I was in trouble now my hope of winning sank ‘cause I got the Daily Double now & then my mind went blank”

The players had a good round with all three scores going into five figures.

The FJ! clue was a fail on my part with a bad approach of trying to brainstorm European countries in that area. Each time I thought of a country it was out because of the letter requirement. What I needed to do was the alphabetically last path and working backwards from Z I probably (no guarantee) would have identified the right place.

Alex had fun with Peter’s response not having a verb as the host broke out one of his accents to repeat the two words.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:26 am The FJ! clue was a fail on my part with a bad approach of trying to brainstorm European countries in that area. Each time I thought of a country it was out because of the letter requirement. What I needed to do was the alphabetically last path and working backwards from Z I probably (no guarantee) would have identified the right place.
I went with Amy's response, which it comes close to, but doesn't hit. Even if I had thought of the correct response, I don't know if I would have considered it.

Can't comment on the rest of the episode, because I haven't seen it yet. :)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $42,400
51 R/2 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Westphalia, Saddam Hussein

Barnburner of a game. Amy did everything right but solve FJ!, including punting on a late DD in a category where she didn't feel comfortable.

On FJ!, I started working my way through the mental map of Central/Eastern Europe, but I quickly realized that was a fool's errand and made the switch to the alphabet. I wasn't sure the Danube flows through Ukraine--I would have bet against it, honestly--but it fit the clue too perfectly.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Nothing came to me on FJ. I couldn’t come up with any late in the alphabet countries and put down the Netherlands just to have something.
Leander

Post by Leander »

My mental map of Europe had Moldova bordering Romania all the way to the Black Sea, so Ukraine never occurred to me. I went with Switzerland, thinking maybe the Danube was a part of the border with Germany, but I had no confidence in the answer.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I, too, went with Switzerland with a low level of confidence.

I went with the wrong Stephen Foster song. I assumed Camptown Races would be appropriate for a horse race.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I just knew they weren't going to finish State Holidays.

No idea on FJ so I went with Switzerland to keep it in the latter 1/3 of the alphabet.

Tracey needn't wager any more than $9000. $2599 would have been optimal.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Leander wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:32 pm My mental map of Europe had Moldova bordering Romania all the way to the Black Sea, so Ukraine never occurred to me.
same here. Kept trying to think of something but time ran out.

Why the %$*^(! did they have to ruin '80s music with a rap group. :x
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

As I pre-called potential European rivers on category reveal, I reflected that my knowledge of the paths and endpoints of said rivers is woefully lacking. Chalk up another one for Switzerland, which it turns out the Danube does not touch.
InigoMontoya

Post by InigoMontoya »

That was an entertaining, well-played game by all three contestants. I thought for sure that Amy would win because her outfit on the jeopardy.com site is different than what she wore on the show today, so I figured they inadvertently spoiled the result.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I am improving this week, going from miserable to just bad. :( :)

R: 23, W: 1, costing 200
Coryat: 17,200
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: 0/3
LT: Saddam

Timings:
3:23 + 2:45 = 6:07
6:51
1:32
The J! round definitely seemed short today. It usually gets to about 6:30 total

My only stumped category today was 80s music. I couldn't get the hang of the adjectives, and the sports traditions seemed difficult to me (although the players only let one question go).

My poor knowledge of waterways outside the US shows up again today. The best I could do was place the Danube in Europe, and was pretty sure it hit Germany (thanks to it's namesake waltz). Had it flowing the wrong way (which, in hindsight, would require a trip up and over a couple of mountain ranges) and threw the dart at Spain.

This was Peter's second day in Stratton's dilemma. He again went with the big side, while I would have chosen the low side based on the category. Amy did her math correctly, but Tracey was way over on her wager. Her only path to victory is a miss by both of the other two contestants. Amy would be expected to fall to 8800 on a miss. If Peter wagers low and misses, he would have something between 8800 and his current score of 12,600. If Peter is going to choose the low side, he should wager little enough to stay ahead of Tracey's current score, forcing her to get a correct answer for the win. So in Tracey's shoes, I'd probably go with a 1200 wager - the difference between their scores. That would succeed in keeping her ahead of Amy on the triple miss and putting her ahead of Peter if she has the sole get.

Now that we've seen Peter wager large twice in a row, we can make an educated guess how he will wager tomorrow. (Expect big, if the situation presents itself.)
--Peter
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Getting J! from Reddit guy. I love how I'm completely boned during March Madness.

Eric B. & Rakim was a total NHOI, leading to 4/5 in Music for me. Given how many other people are questioning this choice, can we poll it?

Gainesboro also cost me the run in Pulled Off. However, I ran the "Tab" category, and am proud of myself for getting "tabula rusa".

I can't tell you how many times I've blanked on "Beat movement" when spotted "Howl" and/or Allen Ginsberg...

Danube. I kind of have an idea as to where that is. Let's see... uh... um... uh... Italy, Germany, Austria, Russia, Hungary, Serbia, all nope. Alphabetically last? Z? Zimbabwe is in Africa. Y? Yemen isn't gonna be right. X, don't be silly. W, I got nothing. V, can't possibly be Vietnam. I got nothing, time's up. I always stop these "alphabetically first/last" dives one letter short, don't I?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:59 pm
Danube. I kind of have an idea as to where that is. Let's see... uh... um... uh... Italy, Germany, Austria, Russia, Hungary, Serbia, all nope. Alphabetically last? Z? Zimbabwe is in Africa. Y? Yemen isn't gonna be right. X, don't be silly. W, I got nothing. V, can't possibly be Vietnam. I got nothing, time's up. I always stop these "alphabetically first/last" dives one letter short, don't I?
You got further than I did. I gave up after Z and started looking at random mid-European countries. Had I continued along the path you describe I may well have gotten it.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This show was the afternoon session of the taping me and twelvefootgirl attended. There is very little deja vu watching the playbacks, but I do remember the empathy for Amy after her terrific performance. Peter snatched victory from the jaws of defeat on a question I expect will poll pretty low this week.
No get on FJ for me, and I'm astonished still that the Danube is within 1000 clicks of the Ukraine.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I got FJ! basically by luck. I had no idea whether the Danube actually borders Ukraine or not, but it satisfied the other clues and I think I would have had time to write "What is Ukr.?" which I think they'd give to me.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:59 pm Eric B. & Rakim was a total NHOI, leading to 4/5 in Music for me.
Rakim is one of the greatest rappers of all time.