Friday, March 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, March 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by seaborgium »

IronNeck wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:47 am Apparently, a lot of people on this board went with minotaur, too. Interesting; wonder why that is?
I gave my rationale.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:52 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:19 pm I see he still doesn’t have a watch.
That's just funny :lol: :lol:
I tried to explain to twelvefootgirl why people refused consolation prizes, something about their declared value? I know they used to be crap festivals.

You had to pay tax on the value of the prize. So unlike a cash prize, you had to dig into your own funds to pay it.

Yes, you were getting something for much less than what you would pay in a store. But it still cost money. If you had no interest in the item or didn’t want to go to wherever the trip was, I wouldn’t blame you for turning it down.

I suspect a lot of those prizes (as well as stuff on TPIR) went unclaimed.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

IronNeck wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:47 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: gave "condensed" rather than "abridged" for DD1, and I can't see anything from my googling that would exclude that response. Judges?
"Abridged" is almost always the adjective used here, and I've never seen "condensed" for one of these editions...but I'm sure there are some examples of the latter somewhere, and it's otherwise the same thing. So I would hesitantly accept it, given Jeopardy's generally loose standards. Worst case, it's a BMS.
I've only ever seen condensed when used with Reader's Digest, but that doesn't necessarily make it wrong unless there's another part of the clue I'm forgetting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reader%27 ... nsed_Books
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

irene wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:42 pm My first thought on FJ was correct (Cerberus) but he is Hades's three-headed dog that guards the underworld, so wouldn't that be six ears?
The "both ears" really had me doubting my initial thought, but I had nothing else.
Maybe Hesiod and Defoe had the same writing coach: Robinson Crusoe described a scavenging expedition as "I pulled off my clothes ...," swam out to the wrecked ship, "... and filled my pockets with biscuit."

I also went with Cerberus, but left out the first "R" when I wrote it down. I'll have to log it as incorrect on the weekly FJ poll even though I had the right idea. Darn.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:53 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:52 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:19 pm I see he still doesn’t have a watch.
That's just funny :lol: :lol:
I tried to explain to twelvefootgirl why people refused consolation prizes, something about their declared value? I know they used to be crap festivals.

You had to pay tax on the value of the prize. So unlike a cash prize, you had to dig into your own funds to pay it.

Yes, you were getting something for much less than what you would pay in a store. But it still cost money. If you had no interest in the item or didn’t want to go to wherever the trip was, I wouldn’t blame you for turning it down.

I suspect a lot of those prizes (as well as stuff on TPIR) went unclaimed.

i won last year's french open women's bracket challenge at tennis channel by being 1 of 2 people to correctly pick ostapenko to win the tournament....i turned down the prize because because i didn't want to have to pay tax on a tennis equipment package...love following and watching tennis, but playing? not at all...asked if i could take the 2nd place prize (gift cards...could use them to buy shoes and clothing that i would use), but they said no...not taking some crap and paying tax on stuff i would never use, so i got nothing in the end
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:57 am
IronNeck wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:47 am Apparently, a lot of people on this board went with minotaur, too. Interesting; wonder why that is?
I gave my rationale.
Same
How many ears has Cerberus? How many ears the Minotaur?
Don't both guard places where those who enter are not to leave?
Which has one tail? (Hint: both)
About which can one use the phrase "both ears" without question?
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:42 pm
irene wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:42 pm My first thought on FJ was correct (Cerberus) but he is Hades's three-headed dog that guards the underworld, so wouldn't that be six ears?
The "both ears" really had me doubting my initial thought, but I had nothing else.
Maybe Hesiod and Defoe had the same writing coach: Robinson Crusoe described a scavenging expedition as "I pulled off my clothes ...," swam out to the wrecked ship, "... and filled my pockets with biscuit."

I also went with Cerberus, but left out the first "R" when I wrote it down. I'll have to log it as incorrect on the weekly FJ poll even though I had the right idea. Darn.
Pockets could be gum pockets from moving or missing teeth. Also might be archaic for orifices. Perhaps undergarments aren't clothes for Daniel D and Crusoe's were furnished with pockets?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Volante wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:56 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: gave "condensed" rather than "abridged" for DD1, and I can't see anything from my googling that would exclude that response. Judges?
"Abridged" is almost always the adjective used here, and I've never seen "condensed" for one of these editions...but I'm sure there are some examples of the latter somewhere, and it's otherwise the same thing. So I would hesitantly accept it, given Jeopardy's generally loose standards. Worst case, it's a BMS.
I've only ever seen condensed when used with Reader's Digest, but that doesn't necessarily make it wrong unless there's another part of the clue I'm forgetting.
I also had an initial response of "condensed" for that very reason. Thanks for the link; browsing the list of titles brings back many memories of RD condensed versions. It was from my grandparents' bookshelf of condensed books that I first encountered "The Caine Mutiny," "Cry, the Beloved Country," "Bridges at Toko-Ri," "The Ugly American," "Advise and Consent," and MANY others. Many fond memories of the volumes throughout my teenage years.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

The New York Times publishes a J! Clue of the Day every weekday morning, which is usually the FJ. Got Cerberus instantly, but did not pick up on the extra-ears problem at all. By the time the show aired, the Minotaur occurred to me as an alternative. It kind of fits, as the Minotaur was kept in the Labyrinth, and every year he was presented with seven Athenian youths and seven maidens, whom he promptly ate before they could find their way out. Still, Cerberus fits better, ears and all.
Didn't think of this point at all, but according to Edith Hamilton, the story of the Minotaur is told by Ovid, as part of the larger story of Theseus. No idea if Hesiod refers to it. Also no idea which writer tells of Daedalus, who built the Labyrinth.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

CasketRomance wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:09 pm i turned down the prize because because i didn't want to have to pay tax on a tennis equipment package...love following and watching tennis, but playing? not at all
That's too bad. I wish you would have taken the package and taken tennis lessons. It's a great sport and lots of fun to play.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

JyV92 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:21 pm
I gave my rationale.
Same
I dismissed Cerberus immediately because of "both ears," and the Minotaur, I figured, wouldn't waste time fawning on any visitor--you'd be a goner before you knew what happened. I had always imagined the Sphinx would maintain a certain cordiality up to a certain point in any encounter, so that's where I ended up on this FJ. Hesiod knows best. :lol:
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I was sure Cerberus was wrong because of the ears thing, but I stuck with it because I couldn't think of anything better.
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:56 am
I'd say that makes it definitely right. Reader's Digest surely sold more abridged books than any publisher ever.
This adjective is used for a shortened version of a written work that still contains the basic story
I'm always amazed by the internet but I'm astonished in particular that someone spent time to record the contents of every RDCB ever issued... :roll:
The fawning tail and ears almost immediately brought a dog to mind and I told myself Cerberus had one eye, not three heads...D'oh!...Yay!!
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

I gave my rationale.
Same
Exactly. And since it may be that Jerome has actually read Hesiod (I sure haven't), that explanation coming from him is even stronger. Lousy clue.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

Leah wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:16 pm
I gave my rationale.
Same
Exactly. And since it may be that Jerome has actually read Hesiod (I sure haven't), that explanation coming from him is even stronger. Lousy clue.
Don't both guard places? Well, Cerberus yes, but the Minotaur no. The Minotaur was confined in the Labyrinth, and killed anyone who entered. He didn't guard it. I agree with the lousy clue assessment, though.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

econgator wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:49 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:32 pm Props to everyone who figured out Cerberus from that mess of a clue. :lol: Of COURSE something with multiple heads has only two ears!
Right? Now Cerebus ... he has two ears and a tail.
Just wanted to post to let you know that somebody got it.

(I own a signed Cerebus #1 and an original page from Minds)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MitchO wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:38 pm (I own a signed Cerebus #1 and an original page from Minds)
I have the full run, but none of them signed.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:01 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:09 pm i turned down the prize because because i didn't want to have to pay tax on a tennis equipment package...love following and watching tennis, but playing? not at all
That's too bad. I wish you would have taken the package and taken tennis lessons. It's a great sport and lots of fun to play.

I’m just impressed that someone guessed Ostapenko! But yes, tennis is an awesome sport & ive recently been playing it 4 times a week!
earendel

Post by earendel »

Reader's Digest used to have a series known as "Condensed Books", published quarterly and containing four or five abridged versions of recent books.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."