Friday, March 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Friday, March 16, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by DBear »

Now this is a case of WAGging the dog. :P Tried to look it up to see if there was something left out with the "both ears", but not seeing anything.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran the Pluralization category. Also got all but the DD in Storm.

"Blah blah blah cayenne" was HUGE negbait for "pepper" IMO. I can understand the TS there.

I thought the "resurrection" clue was FAR easier than "third czar of this name", given the TS.

Plum:prune::grape:raisin and "Better Call Saul" are two top box things that I know I've tried to commit to memory before, but neither was there when I wanted it.

There's Annapurna again. Last time, it was in the top box and was supposed to lead me to India with no other TOM whatsoever.

"Mythical Beasts"? Hey, I know a thing or two about those. This should be a wheelhouse... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...I don't know where to even begin on this clue. Boo to the nasty word selection. Even the "Hades" part only got me as far as "hellhound". I see no possible way to get Cerberus out of this clue whatsoever.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

I guessed Minotaur, although I wasn't happy with it--I don't imagine the Minotaur with a tail, and I don't think it is happy to see people enter.

After two reveals of that as incorrect, I realized it was probably Cerberus before the answer was revealed.
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 25, W: 2, costing 1400
Coryat: 17,400
FJ: :(
DD: 1/3
LT: pineapple, portland cement

Timings: 2:29 + 4:08 = 6:37
6:34
1:35

The players were quite fast with the first half of the J! board, so the long video category didn't add much to the time of the J! round at all. Rahul did his best to move quickly, but Peter and Dan seemed rather slow picking questions in the DJ round.

This was the first real Forrest Bounce play since I started tracking things. (Ron reliably started in the middle and went down, so I don't count that as Bounce play.) I don't feel like it affected my play that much - although I might have clammed on a couple of the TV titles because of it. Which, I guess, is the point of the Bounce.

Ran plurals, 4/5 in Port and in Storm. Went backwards with Composers and just plain stumped in Veeps and the DJ round Lit. My Pavlov reaction to Hawaii + fruit overcame the negbait of pepper. Very clever clue, and nicely placed to keep from penalizing the negbait too harshly.

I got spoiled on FJ getting to the episode on Reddit. I'm fairly sure I wouldn't have gotten it without the spoil, plus I misspelled it so badly even after being spoiled that I'm counting it as a miss as penance for the horrible spelling. I'm fairly sure that "cerebrus" would not have made it past the judges. My main familiarity with this beast is thanks to Rowling. (Could the category name itself be a slight hat tip to her?)

I wasn't thrilled with Alex's pointing out of the scores at the end of DJ! While I suspect most players will figure it out, there's no reason to spoon feed them that info.
--Peter
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

First thought was Cerberus
Then...both ears? He has six ears.
What else?
Minotaur

So I think if I were playing, if nerves had delayed first response-Cerberus and stick with it. If I got it as quickly as at home- Cerberus Minotaur cross out Cerberus at last minute.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Props to everyone who figured out Cerberus from that mess of a clue. :lol: Of COURSE something with multiple heads has only two ears!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:30 pm I wasn't thrilled with Alex's pointing out of the scores at the end of DJ! While I suspect most players will figure it out, there's no reason to spoon feed them that info.
Never forget this is a TV show first.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:30 pm ...
I got spoiled on FJ getting to the episode on Reddit...
If you bookmark the uploader's name: https://www.reddit.com/user/jibjabjrjr

that can help get the video link without wading through the minefield of posts?
Peter the accountant

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:40 pm
Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:30 pm ...
I got spoiled on FJ getting to the episode on Reddit...
If you bookmark the uploader's name: https://www.reddit.com/user/jibjabjrjr

that can help get the video link without wading through the minefield of posts?
I probably should do that. I don't usually have a problem avoiding spoilers, but today the spoil was front and center in the top post. I do like reading through the daily reddit thread, though. A number of contestants make appearances there who don't post here, so reading both adds to the experience.
--Peter
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

In retrospect, it probably should have been a pretty big hint to the contestants that they were told to write "Who" instead of "What" to start their responses, in light of which one could infer that the creature in question has a given name, rather than a title or species or however you want to refer to "the Sphinx" or "the Minotaur."

I thought of the Minotaur, just because the Labyrinth was a place you were meant not to get out of.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I thought about Minotaur briefly but there was nothing friendly about him in the mythology so I dismissed it. Then I got stuck on the killer bunny from Monty Python and the Holy Grail but couldn't think of the name and got stuck there.

Didn't know who Hesiod was.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This episode was the last show me and twelvefootgirl saw taped. We sat by Rahul's family (wife, mother and sister) in the waiting area and talked about their flight from Virginia. Of course we asked who to root for and his mother's pronunciation (and the correct one of course) sounded like "erahoo" or similar. So, he had a great outing in spite of our support!

Peter petered out and should have no regrets and no remorse. That FJ was from hell. I mean it was about Hell. Oh, Hell with it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Hello, Douglas here.
I have been in Baltimore the past couple days and haven't been able to watch any Jeopardy! episodes.
I watched the Faberge category on YouTube and I ran the category.
I will be posting my coryats for Thursday's and Friday's game tonight. :D
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:32 pm Props to everyone who figured out Cerberus from that mess of a clue. :lol: Of COURSE something with multiple heads has only two ears!
Right? Now Cerebus ... he has two ears and a tail.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:19 pm I see he still doesn’t have a watch.
That's just funny :lol: :lol:
I tried to explain to twelvefootgirl why people refused consolation prizes, something about their declared value? I know they used to be crap festivals.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Peter the accountant

econgator wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:49 pm
Volante wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:32 pm Props to everyone who figured out Cerberus from that mess of a clue. :lol: Of COURSE something with multiple heads has only two ears!
Right? Now Cerebus ... he has two ears and a tail.
No, no no. It's Cerebrus, the heretofore unknown twin to Cerberus. He has one head and three tails.

Hey, those extra body parts had to end up somewhere! :lol:
--Peter
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

38 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Abridged), Pineapple, England, United States, Nicholas II, Art Nouveau, Alexander III, (Miami), Dallas

Ran Composer's Countries of Birth and Faberge.
Douglas Squasoni
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $28,200
40 R/4 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: condensed/abridged (DD), pineapple, Nicholas II

Put me down as another "it could be Cerberus, but wouldn't it have more than two ears?"

I gave "condensed" rather than "abridged" for DD1, and I can't see anything from my googling that would exclude that response. Judges?

The DD2 clue seemed to hint toward Miami, but it seems dumb to put a hurricane tracking center right in the path of hurricanes, so I went with Atlanta.
Sprinkles are for winners.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Not to pick on the guy, but having watched Jeopardy for a while now, I was reasonably sure that even the math professor would wager suboptimally on his DD. Sure enough...

Anyways, it was a very well-played game by all involved, except for that odd FJ. I didn't think it was particularly difficult, but at any rate, could two contestants not have come up with anything better than the clearly wrong "minotaur"? Perhaps they just didn't know any other treacherous Greek mythological creatures.

Edit- Apparently, a lot of people on this board went with minotaur, too. Interesting; wonder why that is?
BigDaddyMatty wrote: gave "condensed" rather than "abridged" for DD1, and I can't see anything from my googling that would exclude that response. Judges?
"Abridged" is almost always the adjective used here, and I've never seen "condensed" for one of these editions...but I'm sure there are some examples of the latter somewhere, and it's otherwise the same thing. So I would hesitantly accept it, given Jeopardy's generally loose standards. Worst case, it's a BMS.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

For the next Celebrity Tournament, I want clues read by an animatronic Sphinx voiced by Trebek, and all Contestant Coordinator duties performed by Cerberus and the Minotaur.