Monday, March 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 19, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Johnblue »

Nice finish in DJ by Lisa. Simple FJ. “Flaw in the ointment” was a pun referring to “a fly in the ointment.” The clue about Isaiah was difficult but otherwise this was a fairly easy game.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Why did Alex rule against the male who said "Diego Rivera" but rule for Lisa when she just said Rivera?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

thenextofken wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:37 pm Why did Alex rule against the male who said "Diego Rivera" but rule for Lisa when she just said Rivera?
Yeah, I'm not sure about that. It sounded like he said the name correctly.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

econgator wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:42 pm
thenextofken wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:37 pm Why did Alex rule against the male who said "Diego Rivera" but rule for Lisa when she just said Rivera?
Yeah, I'm not sure about that. It sounded like he said the name correctly.
He said "Diego Rivera" just fine.

Problem is, he also said "Frido Kahla", not "Frida Kahlo", and that's why he was negged.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:02 pm As to the dish itself? I'll leave it to the experts. I think I recognize carrots.
The Cajun holy trinity does not include carrots.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:44 pm Problem is, he also said "Frido Kahla", not "Frida Kahlo", and that's why he was negged.
Ahhh, that explains it.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:55 pmI have never heard of a "flaw in the ointment." Did that cause anyone else to clam?
Yes.
--Peter
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 19, W: 2, costing 1800
Coryat: 13,800
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: 2/3
LT: Julian, Cortez

Timings:
3:32 + 2:37 = 6:09
6:40
1:30

For such a bad showing, I only got skunked in the movie romances, thanks to two clues I couldn't come up with fast enough.

I was expecting a "Lord of the Flies" category in DJ, but got the "c"/sea pair instead.

Instaget FJ, with plenty of time to edit Homeland Security Department to Department of Homeland Security. Not sure if it was necessary to make the edit, but glad I didn't need to find out.
--Peter
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

We got hit hard here tonight. We are fine, but we had some damage to the house. A friend lost his house, so we were lucky.

Google Jacksonville, Alabama, tornado. Should be some rough pictures tomorrow.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:13 pm We got hit hard here tonight. We are fine, but we had some damage to the house. A friend lost his house, so we were lucky.
Yikes! Glad to hear you are safe.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

32 right.

Lord (0), Soup (3), Art & Artists (3), Calendars (3), Eponymous (2), "C" TV (4)
Washington State History (2), Sunny (4), Technology (3), Romances (2), "HIT" & "MISS" (2), Sea TV (4)

Lach Trash: goat, John Constable; Daily Double: Julian calendar, Sea of Cortez

It wasn't instant, but the Department of Homeland Security it was the first instinct I had, so I decided to go with it.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

B-Rich wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:48 pm I'm from New Orleans.

The wording/description of the first question was sort of okay. However, I'm not sure what was in that bowl, but whatever it was , it was NOT gumbo.
I was coming here to make this exact same comment :lol:. Seconding this, that wasn't no gumbo.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

Interesting that there was a clue about okra being used in Creole cooking just this past Friday, and today we have one about gumbo.

At first I was confused by the Infamously Eponymous category because the first clue was someone I've never heard of. Is "Jack Ketch" really a phrase people use to refer to an executioner or death? I'd almost like to poll that.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

hscer wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:40 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:56 pm

If it comes up in later posts do the judges have a problem with a FJ! response that omits “The Department of?”
that i don't have speculation on, but if they didn't take just "DHS" there'd be a problem for sure
Not sure, but any time they have a clue where the full, complete answer is this unwieldy, esp. given all I have heard about the unwieldy nature of writing with those devices they provide, they can expect problems. Even if people know the answer, writing it all down can be difficult
davey

Post by davey »

bbird wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:06 am Interesting that there was a clue about okra being used in Creole cooking just this past Friday, and today we have one about gumbo.

At first I was confused by the Infamously Eponymous category because the first clue was someone I've never heard of. Is "Jack Ketch" really a phrase people use to refer to an executioner or death? I'd almost like to poll that.
Did the clue suggest it was still in use? I don't think so. I think it was solvable with the context (not that I did).
hscer

Post by hscer »

John Boy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:50 am
hscer wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:40 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:56 pm

If it comes up in later posts do the judges have a problem with a FJ! response that omits “The Department of?”
that i don't have speculation on, but if they didn't take just "DHS" there'd be a problem for sure
Not sure, but any time they have a clue where the full, complete answer is this unwieldy, esp. given all I have heard about the unwieldy nature of writing with those devices they provide, they can expect problems. Even if people know the answer, writing it all down can be difficult
Agree with your general point. In this specific case, DHS is completely standard. (Or maybe I just live too close to D.C.) It would almost be like requiring someone to spell out "National Collegiate Athletic Association."
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

B-Rich wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:48 pm I'm from New Orleans.

The wording/description of the first question was sort of okay. However, I'm not sure what was in that bowl, but whatever it was , it was NOT gumbo.
As one born and raised on the Gulf coast, I had the same thought.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I joined the contestants on the metal detector neg. Any reason I should know that it was X-ray?

Any reason I should know what sea Dutch Harbor is in? I saw nothing pointing to Bering Sea whatsoever.

I had no idea where to even begin on this FJ! It didn't help that I misread it as "George H. W. Bush". Even the "War on Terror" reference didn't trigger anything since I was still convinced there was an H in the clue, and was wondering what the elder Bush could have approved that predicated the War on Terror.

Lach Trash: fly in the ointment
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:17 pm I joined the contestants on the metal detector neg. Any reason I should know that it was X-ray?
Yes, they said that it produced an image of the fourth amendment. Metal detectors don't produce images.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:17 pm I joined the contestants on the metal detector neg. Any reason I should know that it was X-ray?
Metal detectors don't make hidden text readable.

Edit: I wanted to find the exact text of the clue. "Metallic ink used in a special T-shirt allows it to display the 4th Amendment when you wear it in this TSA machine" So I was reading into it a bit (but rightly so). I just don't think of a metal detector as a machine that one is ever "in"; it's either a wand (or some similar device that you wave around) or an arch to walk through. Full disclosure: I said "body scanner," which I think is good enough for the clue.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:17 pm Any reason I should know what sea Dutch Harbor is in? I saw nothing pointing to Bering Sea whatsoever.
Familiarity with "Deadliest Catch" would have been helpful. The show is about crab fishing off the coast of Alaska.

Edit: No "The" in the title.
Last edited by seaborgium on Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.