Friday, March 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7725, 2018-03-23

CONTESTANTS
Daniel Ludlam, a student from Claremont, California
Tristan Mohabir, a nonprofit associate director from Washington, D.C.
Lynn Klyde-Allaman, a journalism professor from Lafayette, Colorado (whose 1-day cash winnings total $8,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, everyone. This is a getaway day for us, but before we get away, we have another 30 minutes of answers and questions, and Lynn wants to know if she can add to what she won on yesterday's program. Tristan and Daniel, gentlemen, welcome aboard. Good luck. Here we go. Categories for the three of you are as follows...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SAGE ADVICE (3/5)
BY THE NUMBERS (4/5)
DISNEYLAND: YESTERDAY & TODAY (2/5)
"BELL", "BOOK" & NO CANDLE (3/5)
WHERE'D THAT HAPPEN? (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NOVELS WITH CONFLICT (5/5) (Alex: You have to identify the conflict, the war.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lynn: 10 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Daniel: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Tristan: 5 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Daniel found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Lynn had $1,200, Tristan was in the red with -$400, and Daniel was at $800. Daniel wagered $1,000.

WHERE'D THAT HAPPEN? $1000: This European world capital hosted the 1984 winter Olympics

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Daniel: $2,800
Lynn: $2,800
Tristan: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Daniel Ludlam is a student at Claremont McKenna here in southern California. And you must be doing some after-class work. What kind?

Daniel: Right. I work with kids age 6 to 14 or 15 or so, and often they'd had a long day of school, the kids are exhausted, they're tired, so to make things interesting, I decided one day to just start faking an English accent. And it worked. It got their attention. They thought, "Wow, this guy is British. He must be smart." And they started requesting me. "Can I have that British guy?" It worked really well.

Alex: And what are you teaching them?

Daniel: I teach them math and reading.

Alex: Oh good. All right. Great.

Alex: Tristan Mohabir from Washington, D.C.

Tristan: Hey, Alex.

Alex: You were fortunate abroad to study abroad in Latin America.

Tristan: I did, yes. In Argentina.

Alex: Studying what?

Tristan: Uh, not much, to be honest. But I did meet my girlfriend there, so something good did come out of it. Yeah.

[Laughter]

Alex: That pleases you, but maybe not your parents.

Tristan: They're laughing the loudest.

Alex: They're laughing the loudest here today. Okay. Good for you.

Alex: Lynn Klyde-Allaman from Lafayette, Colorado. A journalism professor. And you're into sports. When you were in high school, you played soccer?

Lynn: Yes.

Alex: And you guys traveled to Europe?

Lynn: Yes, I got to go to a bunch of countries to play soccer for a month.

Alex: Now, did you notice that the soccer played in Europe was slightly better than what we play here in the United States?

Lynn: The Hungarian and the Czechoslovakian teams were very good.

Alex: Very good. Okay, well, you're very good as our champion.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BY THE NUMBERS $600: "Formula" this "cleans up after grease, grime & gusto"
(Lynn: What is 405?)

SAGE ADVICE $600: Sage & onion is a popular type of this bread-based holiday food

SAGE ADVICE $1000: You may benefit by cleansing a new house using smoldering sage, in a process called this

DISNEYLAND: YESTERDAY & TODAY $600: Original attractions from 1955 that are still around include Autopia & this boat ride in Adventure Land
(Lynn: What is It's a Small World?)
[ERRATUM: The name of the land is Adventureland, not Adventure Land.]

DISNEYLAND: YESTERDAY & TODAY $800: To honor "Star Wars", Disneyland added this 5-letter word to the front of its Space Mountain ride

DISNEYLAND: YESTERDAY & TODAY $1000: From 1967 to 1973, the Carousel of Progress showcased decades of American life, sponsored by this company

"BELL", "BOOK" & NO CANDLE $600: Saving syllables? Use this synonym in place of "belligerent"

"BELL", "BOOK" & NO CANDLE $800: Coal-burning stove with a large, rounded chamber

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lynn: $4,200
Daniel: $3,800
Tristan: $1,800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 23, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A SAGE'S ADVICE (5/5)
DESERT WILDLIFE (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CHARACTERS WHO DON'T TALK MUCH (5/5)
IT LASTS A WHILE (5/5)
TIME MAGAZINE'S PERSON OF THE YEAR (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MEXICAN STATES (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lynn: 9 R, 0 W
Tristan: 9 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Daniel: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tristan snagged the next Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Lynn had $4,200, Tristan had $3,000, and Daniel was at $3,800. Tristan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,000.

DESERT WILDLIFE $1600: When ticks bite the Western fence lizard, the lizard's blood kills the bacteria in the ticks that cause this disease

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Tristan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 6th clue. Lynn had $4,200, Tristan had $8,400, and Daniel was at $3,800. Tristan wagered $4,000.

TIME MAGAZINE'S PERSON OF THE YEAR $2000: 2001:
This politician, "Tower of Strength"
(Tristan: Who is George W. Bush?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TIME MAGAZINE'S PERSON OF THE YEAR $1200: 2017:
"The Silence Breakers" about harassment & assault, including this actress, a singer's daughter

DESERT WILDLIFE $2000: File this bat, perhaps the U.S.A.'s largest, under the letter "M"--it's named for having a face like this dog breed

DESERT WILDLIFE $400: The fluorescence of this arachnid under UV light is caused by a protein in its exoskeleton
(Tristan: What is a spider?)
(Daniel: What's a tarantula?)

MEXICAN STATES $2000: This president drove out the French in 1867 & declared Hidalgo a state in 1869

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lynn: $17,400
Daniel: $9,800
Tristan: $7,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
UNREAL ESTATE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
First equals second plus third.
Lynn: Wager $2,200. Risk any less and Daniel may overtake you if you both get it right; risk any more and Tristan may overtake you if you get it wrong.
Daniel: Wager all $9,800. If Lynn bets correctly, then you'll tie for the win if you both get the correct response.
Tristan: Wager all $7,600, and you have a hope of snatching up a tie for first with Lynn if you're the only one to provide the correct response.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Some of the features of this title place of an 1883 novel are Mizzen-Mast Hill & Captain Kidd's Anchorage

FINAL SCORES
Tristan: $7,600 + $7,600 = $15,200 (What is Treasure Island?) (New champion: $15,200)
Daniel: $9,800 - $7,605 = $2,195 (What is Neverland?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Lynn: $17,400 - $2,201 = $15,199 (What is Robinson Crusoe?) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Lynn: $17,400, 19 R, 2 W
Tristan: $10,200, 14 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Daniel: $9,800, 14 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $37,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Lynn: 19/58 = .328
Tristan: 15/60 = .250
Daniel: 14/59 = .237
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WHERE'D THAT HAPPEN? $400: Amid threats & violence, the 1964 Freedom Summer in this state registered a total of 1,200 African Americans to vote
(Tristan: What is Alabama?)

NOVELS WITH CONFLICT $200: "M*A*S*H" by Richard Hooker
(Daniel: What is the Vietnam War?

SAGE ADVICE $200: The sage infused into the Sage Derby type of this food creates a marvelous marbling

"BELL", "BOOK" & NO CANDLE $400: Originally a sheep with a noisemaker around its neck, now it's an indicator of a future trend
(Tristan: What is a bell cow?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Sarajevo
dressing
smudging
the Jungle Cruise
hyper
GE (General Electric)
bellicose
a potbelly stove
Lyme disease
Rudy Giuliani
Ashley Judd
mastiff
scorpion
Benito Juarez
Treasure Island
Mississippi
the Korean War
cheese
a bellwether
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
UNREAL ESTATE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Some of the features of this title place of an 1883 novel are Mizzen-Mast Hill & Captain Kidd’s Anchorage

Lynn Klyde-Allaman: 17400-2201=15199
Tristan Mohabir: 7600+7600=15200 (New Champ)
Daniel Ludlam: 9800-7605=2195

Correct response:
Spoiler
Treasure Island (Lynn – Robinson Crusoe) (Daniel – Neverland)

Daily Doubles
Daniel: 800+1000
Tristan: 3000+3000
Tristan: 8400-4000

Coryats
Lynn: 17400
Tristan: 10200
Daniel: 9800

Combined: 37,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Lynn: 4200
Tristan: 1800
Daniel: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

1985 was the last time I was at Disneyland, so when I saw the category I was wishing for more Yesterday than Today. It worked out all right getting 4 of them while having no idea about the 5-letter word added to Space Mountain.

Tough loss for Lynn as one more correct response anywhere would have been enough to win the game.

Once again 3rd place won the game with a sole solve of the FJ! clue. To me the clue had enough in it to prevent a 1/3 and I will say perhaps the misses demonstrate a difference from playing at home to being on the stage.

Tristan gets to play next week with the experience of having survived a tough game that included a 4000 DD miss and two quite capable opponents.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

This is exhibit 1 where sometimes the leader should wager to tie an all-in wager from 2nd place.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Maybe I’m just too old, but I thought the Disneyland category pretty obscure if you had never been there.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I was chanting "don't bet the extra dollar! Don't bet the extra dollar!" Oh well. Not like I ever want to see another lame tiebreaker anyway, unless it's in a tournament.

Instaget FJ.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:55 pm 1985 was the last time I was at Disneyland, so when I saw the category I was wishing for more Yesterday than Today. It worked out all right getting 4 of them while having no idea about the 5-letter word added to Space Mountain.
I've only been to Disneyland once, about 17 years ago. Thankfully, I was at the Magic Kingdom yesterday, so that put Carousel of Progress fresh in my mind. The other 4 were hopeless.

Also, dressing is bread-based?
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Yeah, most dressings / stuffings are usually bread-based.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran the Numbers category.

The Disneyland category seemed overly California-biased, given all the TSes.

I could've had this one with a little more time. The gears were turning, but Captain Hook->Neverland wedged in between and completely stopped the gears. I was unable to shake it since I knew it was wrong and not a title place, but I just couldn't get there.

Lach Trash: Formula 409, dressing/stuffing, bellicose, scorpion
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

boson wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:01 pm This is exhibit 1 where sometimes the leader should wager to tie an all-in wager from 2nd place.
I'm not sure about that. Betting the extra dollar saves you from a tiebreaker if both you and 2nd place get FJ. The extra dollar costs you a tiebreaker if you miss, 2nd place misses and bets sufficiently high, and 3rd place gets FJ. Going from a tiebreaker to a win is as beneficial as going from a loss to a tiebreaker, and the chances of the former scenario are greater than the chances of the latter scenario.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Kids Week FJ - literally. I can't believe it was a single get.

Edited to add, for someone who has been going to Disneyland since 1961, some of those Disneyland clues were really obscure/ill-phrased. Because I'm old, however, I did know that GE sponsored the Carousel of Progress.
Last edited by Elijah Baley on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash pickup: Formula 409, GE, bellicose, potbelly, Juarez.
I thought FJ! was a WECIB (Hoping someone would write "Arr! What be Treasure Island)", surprised it wasn't a triget.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

goforthetie wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:32 pm
boson wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:01 pm This is exhibit 1 where sometimes the leader should wager to tie an all-in wager from 2nd place.
I'm not sure about that. Betting the extra dollar saves you from a tiebreaker if both you and 2nd place get FJ. The extra dollar costs you a tiebreaker if you miss, 2nd place misses and bets sufficiently high, and 3rd place gets FJ. Going from a tiebreaker to a win is as beneficial as going from a loss to a tiebreaker, and the chances of the former scenario are greater than the chances of the latter scenario.
Since the leader has the total of the other two, it's obvious she has a serious buzzer advantage over the other two. So on a tie-breaker question the leader is at least a 60% favorite and probably more.

How often does a player wager all but a dollar? Often enough where holding back the extra dollar turns a potential tie into a $1 win in not one but two situations here.

From the above it's pretty obvious that holding back the dollar is a good play, naturally category confidence should factor into the wager as well.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $33,800
44 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: 409, stuffing, General Electric, bellicose, potbelly stove, scorpion

It was sad to see Lynn's countenance sink as she realized she had made an RTFQ error. Robinson Crusoe is not a place. She'll forever be a J! champ, though, so she should hold her head high.

I think betting the extra dollar is the right move. So far this season, there have been 38 instances in which the leader and second place both got FJ! right. Assuming 50-50 odds on the tiebreaker, that's 19 losses. Compare that with only 12 RRW games. Given that this has been a particularly bad FJ! season for the second-place position (only 43.1% correct), the numbers are probably more skewed over the long run.

Like Tristan, I went with W on the Time DD. Rudy never entered my mind.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:12 pm The Disneyland category seemed overly California-biased, given all the TSes.
Not so. Three of the five attractions/areas mentioned are also at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom park. Intuiting which Disney movie became the theme of an underwater ride in 2005 requires no knowledge of the park. The only response that required Disneyland-specific knowledge was New Orleans Square. (Magic Kingdom has the Haunted Mansion, but it is in Liberty Square.)
Sprinkles are for winners.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:03 pm Not so. Three of the five attractions/areas mentioned are also at Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom park. Intuiting which Disney movie became the theme of an underwater ride in 2005 requires no knowledge of the park. The only response that required Disneyland-specific knowledge was New Orleans Square. (Magic Kingdom has the Haunted Mansion, but it is in Liberty Square.)
I'll see your not so and raise you a not quite. :)

Hyperspace Mountain is a Disneyland thing. That never happened at the Magic Kingdom.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a tough board for me. I started the DJ round with a couple of really tough misses, with dramadery for bactrian and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever for lyme disease. But having a clue on Silent Bob made it all worth it.

I got FJ after about 5 seconds, but without having the year in the clue I may have been in danger of overthinking this one.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Neverland is not a title place as far as I know, and even that aside, we as viewers were able to likely eliminate it as it was the answer to a FJ several weeks ago. Obviously the contestants would not have known that.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

33 R
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Scorpion, Benito Juarez

Ran Where Did It Happen and Mexican States.

Knew Leaning Tower of Pisa just from the words "closed in 1990". :ugeek:
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I read Treasure Island recently and loved it. Recommended for all ages!