TD 373 - Tourney Time (Final results)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: TD 373 - Tourney Time (Q1-Q12 revealed)

Post by econgator »

SenseiCAY wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:11 pm Bugger - I second guessed myself on Millionaire Estates before going with Books-a-million.
I couldn't remember if it was estate, estates, or mansion.
sims
Valued Contributor

Post by sims »

I got sheep on like half the questions this time...
clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by clprez »

Ack! I'm in last place. I don't have any incorrect answers, and I even have a singleton. Lots of sheep for me.

I don't think I've ever come in last place before. I just have to hope I do well with the bonus questions.
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Re: TD 373 - Tourney Time (Final results)

Post by clt013 »

BONUS ROUND

There are three options - offering small (-3), medium (-6) or large (up to -10) bonus possibilities. You may choose one of the three.

Number of entrants choosing each option: A - 24, B - 5, C - 11

Option A - "Wheelhouse": Choose a question from above and give six more correct answers to earn a bonus of (-3).

Those who submitted six correct answers = -3
Q1 - travis
Q4 - Kirbstar
Q7 - SenseiCAY, immaf, MattKnowles, Sims, sillymoose, squarekara
Q8 - Floridagator, MarkBarrett, DaddyDewdrop
Q9 - bev nar, clprez
Q10 - Gamawire, Rackme32, xxaaaxx
Q11 - Vintsanity
Q12 - Saturnalia, Coach P, Ironhorse, Bipolar Bear, econgator

Close, but not quite = 0
Tybalteon (5 correct, but St. John's incorrect on Q9)
This is Aoba (5 correct on Q5, did not submit 6 answers)

Option B - "Pairs": Give the pair of correct answers (-1 per pair) for up to six of these questions. [Letter required.]

A. The first tournament title was won on this play that was also used to free up Jimmy Chitwood for a championship winning shot in this movie
B. Clark Kellogg was a player, broadcaster, referee and coach during the 20 years - give his nickname and the Kellogg's headquarters city which once hosted a game
C. This pair of espn2 personalities (Initials = K.O. and J.R.) was not well-liked by fans and each ended up in the Dubuque dungeon after poor behavior in 1994
D. These former Mouseketeers turned "Beautiful" and "Lucky" musical artists feuded one year
E. The coaches who won the most tournament games (and also a pair of titles each) were T.I. and G.K. from schools in these "directional" cities
F. 2010 Olympic skiing teammates (J.M. and L.V.) who brawled around the Dubuque area during that year's tournament
G. The only schools who participated in all 20 tournaments and failed to win a championship were this pair located in the same state
H. Besides Canada, these non-US locations (one an island) hosted games - in the cities of Hamilton and Monterrey
I. Skills competitions held for celebrities included these games that share their names with a number that players in a certain card game hope to hit and an animal that goes for a triple crown each May/June
J. These are the nicknames of the two most recent additions to the conference - who joined over 3 years after the tournament's final edition

A. Picket Fence, Hoosiers
B. Special K, Battle Creek
C. Keith Olbermann, Jim Rome
D. Christina Aguilera, Britney Spears
E. East Lansing, West Lafayette
F. Julia Mancuso, Lindsay Vonn
G. Illinois, Northwestern
H. Bermuda, Mexico
I. 21, H-O-R-S-E
J. Scarlet Knights, Terrapins

classicroadster [A, E, F, G, I & J correct = -6]
Peachbox [C, F, G, H & I correct; E (Tom Izzo, Gene Keady) incorrect = -5]
Woof [B, E, G, I & J correct; C (Keith Olbermann & Jimmy Roberts) incorrect = -5]
spell4yr [D, E, I & J correct = -4]
twelvefootboy [I correct; A (Pick-and-roll) incorrect = -1]

Option C - "Name that nickname": NCAA Division I college arenas in these cities hosted games, give the school's nickname.
Each two correct answers earns a bonus of (-1).
Additional bonuses (-3 and -1, respectively) for the two entrants with the most correct responses and no errors. [2-way tie for 1st = -2 each, 3 or more = -1 each]

Bowling Green, KY = Hilltoppers (Western Kentucky)
Burlington, VT = Catamounts (Vermont)
Cedar Falls, IA = Panthers (Northern Iowa)
Colorado Springs, CO = Falcons (Air Force)
Flagstaff, NM = Lumberjacks (Northern Arizona)
Loretto, PA = Red Flash (Saint Francis)
Mt. Pleasant, MI = Chippewas (Central Michigan)
Moscow, ID = Vandals (Idaho)
Muncie, IN = Cardinals (Ball State)
Newark, DE = Fightin' Blue Hens (Delaware)
Oxford, OH = RedHawks (Miami)
Peoria, IL = Braves (Bradley)
Terre Haute, IN = Sycamores (Indiana State)
Ypsilanti, MI = Eagles (Eastern Michigan)

From least correct to most…
guessonguessonguess [0 correct - listed school names, not nicknames = 0]
oduguy22 [1 correct, 3 (Broncos, Boilermakers, Hawks) incorrect = 0]
merica [7 correct, 1 (Rams) incorrect = -3]
ihavejeoprosy [9 correct, 1 (Rams) incorrect = -4]
jbeltz [10 correct, 0 incorrect = -5]
badgerfellow [12 correct, 1 (Wildcats) incorrect = -6]
ajk [12 correct, 1 (Wildcats) incorrect = -6]
threearuda [13 correct, 1 (Antelopes) incorrect = -6]

Tied for most without error (Each had all of them except Red Flash)
wpwells [13 correct = -7]
casketromance [13 correct = -7]
9021amyers [13 correct = -7]

EXTRA BONUS = -4 (All 12 answers correct without using drop or sheep)
Saturnalia
Gamawire
jbeltz
Rackme32
SenseiCAY
Tybalteon
badgerfellow
wpwells
Coach P
casketromance
Peachbox
bev nar
Kirbstar
threearruda
merica
This is Aoba
ajk
clprez
Bipolar Bear
xxaaaxx
econgator
Woof
guessonguessonguess
9021amyers

FINAL STANDINGS
40. immaf - 74
39. Sims - 73
38. clprez - 71
37. Kirbstar - 67
36. twelvefootboy - 66
35. sillymoose - 65
33. oduguy22 - 63
33. econgator - 63
30. Gamawire - 62
30. Coach P - 62
30. bev nar - 62
29. Rackme32 - 61
27. Vintsanity - 60
27. Tybalteon - 60
26. threearruda - 58
25. MarkBarrett - 57
22. spell4yr - 55
22. xxaaaxx - 55
22. casketromance - 55
20. Ironhorse - 54
20. wpwells - 54
16. Floridagator - 53
16. Bipolar Bear - 53
16. Peachbox - 53
16. Woof - 53
15. travis - 52
14. DaddyDewdrop - 51
13. 9021amyers - 50
12. merica - 48
10. guessonguessonguess - 47
10. Saturnalia - 47
7. MattKnowles - 46
7. ihavejeoprosy - 46
7. This is Aoba - 46

On the very crowded podium…
3. squarekara - 45
3. classicroadster - 45
3. SenseiCAY - 45
3. jbeltz - 45
2. badgerfellow - 44

And the champion…
1. ajk - 37

Thanks to everyone for playing!
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

“Broncos” is Western Michigan’s nickname, rather than Central or Eastern Michigan; “Rams” is Colorado State’s nickname, which is located in Fort Collins and not Colorado Springs; and “Antelopes” is Grand Canyon’s nickname, which is located in Phoenix and not Flagstaff. What were the two “Wildcats” bonus guesses meant to refer to?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Thanks for putting this together, clt013. And much respect to the no drop/no sheep gang.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

9021amyers wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:56 am “Broncos” is Western Michigan’s nickname, rather than Central or Eastern Michigan; “Rams” is Colorado State’s nickname, which is located in Fort Collins and not Colorado Springs; and “Antelopes” is Grand Canyon’s nickname, which is located in Phoenix and not Flagstaff. What were the two “Wildcats” bonus guesses meant to refer to?
I was thinking it was possibly Villanova. I wasn't entirely sure and wanted to give it a shot anyway.

Thanks for the TD, clt013! I think this my third time at 2nd...one of these days...
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

squarekara wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:58 am Thanks for putting this together, clt013. And much respect to the no drop/no sheep gang.
Indeed. I was in need of 4 or 5 sheep/drops this round, so opted not to enter. My hat's off to those who didn't need any at all. And even though I didn't enter, I'll add my thanks for putting this TD together.
--Peter
guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Post by guessonguessonguess »

clt013 wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:03 am guessonguessonguess [0 correct - listed school names, not nicknames = 0]
My life in a nutshell.

Nonetheless, this was a fun TD with an excellent amount of variety. My only hope, clt013, is that you'll expound slightly upon this bizarro Big 10 tournament; I've never heard of it before, and the premise/execution sound incredibly intriguing.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Thanks so much for putting this together, clt013 for putting this together and most amusing theme.... once I got it :oops: Hats to the podiumites, too!
clt013

Post by clt013 »

guessonguessonguess wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:34 am Nonetheless, this was a fun TD with an excellent amount of variety. My only hope, clt013, is that you'll expound slightly upon this bizarro Big 10 tournament; I've never heard of it before, and the premise/execution sound incredibly intriguing.
Thanks for the kind words.

I sent you a PM over the weekend, but would gladly work up a more detailed history of the event for you (or anyone else who might be interested).
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

clt013 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:01 am
guessonguessonguess wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:34 am Nonetheless, this was a fun TD with an excellent amount of variety. My only hope, clt013, is that you'll expound slightly upon this bizarro Big 10 tournament; I've never heard of it before, and the premise/execution sound incredibly intriguing.

I sent you a PM over the weekend, but would gladly work up a more detailed history of the event for you (or anyone else who might be interested).
I would love to learn about this - this isn't any Big Ten Tournament that I've ever heard of or seen, I don't think. Thanks for putting this together!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

SenseiCAY wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:58 am
clt013 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:01 am

I would love to learn about this - this isn't any Big Ten Tournament that I've ever heard of or seen, I don't think. Thanks for putting this together!
I had to ask for enlightenment about this, too. Courtesy of Google's spotty archive, you can read about the '93 Tourney here.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Woof wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:15 pm
I had to ask for enlightenment about this, too. Courtesy of Google's spotty archive, you can read about the '93 Tourney here.
Years ago, I was able to find the actual 1992-94 tournament recaps via search engine, but now I guess (besides 1993) they only exist on my hard drive (and the printed copies of each file). Anyway, here is an "abridged" storyline for the 20 years - and yes, it would be wise to suspend disbelief since the event featured many "unrealistic" things...

1992: Created pretty much as a joke in response to people who didn't understand there was no Big 10 men's basketball tournament. The theory behind its beginning was Commisioner Jim Delany deciding the possible revenue was too much to pass up and throwing together a tournament just a couple of weeks before Selection Sunday. Positive response led to change of "one-off" plan.

1993: Once again posted on rec.sports.college.basketball board. Added second corporate sponsor. NCAA refused to offer automatic bid after 1992 champions turned it down and other "bizarre" things happened during the inaugural event.

1994: espn2 was in its first year, so ESPN (which had the TV rights) put the games there - and in an effort to boost ratings all 10 games were scheduled to take place within 24-hour period. (Years later, ESPN would actually have a 24-hour marathon of games to kick off college seasons.) This was the last tournament posted on the rscb board - all remaining versions were only seen by a circle of my friends.

1995: NCAA was still refusing to offer a bid to the champ, so halfway into the regular season, the players announced they were boycotting. Delany and university presidents decided to borrow a page from baseball owners at the time and have each team field rosters of replacement players.

1996: Delany teams with wrestler Ted "Million Dollar Man" DiBiase - who bribes the NCAA with a lifetime supply of Sterzing's Potato Chips and Dubuque Hams in exchange for automatic bid to the tournament champ. Games then feature many wrestling-inspired actions and champ (who was pretty much assured NCAA berth already) attempting to hand the auto bid to a "bubble" team that had lost earlier in the day. Some female participants in the festivities become like WWE Divas - playing up their looks to increase popularity with fans.

1997: Word came out that the conference was starting an actual tournament, but Delany wanted to keep this one going as well since it equaled more money. So he managed to cut a deal with the NCAA to have two tournaments starting in 1998. The last year of the SPC/DH Big 10 Tournament being the only one did not go smoothly however, as DiBiase had booked wrestling shows in arenas throughout conference territory - leaving Delany to stage games outside. Players were unhappy to contest games without NCAA bid on the line, so before tip-off of the opening game they declared eligibility for the draft (which they would rescind a day later) and teams had to scramble together replacements again.

1998: Fox Sports Net was trying to compete with ESPN and so Delany was able to craft a deal where each network broadcast one day of an expanded two-day event. The players came back when they realized this event was too popular (even with auto bid going to "new" tournament champ) to give up their opportunity to participate. Double elimination format used.

1999: Pool play format used - and an All-Star team of former tournament MVPs added to the field to create four groups of three teams each.

2000: Quarterfinals and semifinals used the "two-leg" format popular in soccer, while championship was decided in best-of-five final.

2001: Tournament was to return to the small high school gyms used in 2001, but some university presidents balked at all games being in Iowa's backyard - which led to games moving to western part of the state as that was more "Iowa State" territory.

2002: Delany decides to have conference produce all broadcasts (five years before BTN was actually launched) and announces that all 48 continguous states as well as Canada and Mexico will have hosted games by the end of 2008 the event. This version includes Washington, DC (which actually hosts "the other" Big 10 Tournament in 2017).

2003: Eastern flavor again

2004: Games in Mexico and throughout the west - including future Big 10 state Nebraska

2005: East - including future Big 10 states New Jersey and Maryland

2006: Northwest

2007: Southeast

2008: Canada

2009: Delany decides to end the event after its 20th year - announcing final three-year plan. This year features two-day format with combination of indoor and outdoor games to reach combined attendance of 1,000,000.

2010: League goes "old school" and holds games at former venues on the campuses of schools that have previously won the title (sorry Illinois and Northwestern).

2011: Final event crams 13 games into one day - in response to supposed criticism that event was being killed because future expansion would make it impossible to hold all games within 24 hour period. (Nebraska would join in the fall of 2011, but was not part of this tournament. A year later, Rutgers and Maryland announced they were joining the conference - which would have made 13 games necessary to determine a champion.)

Throughout the entire 20 years, "real life" happenings were the inspiration for many events that transpired in the tournaments. And sometimes, things that occurred in the SPC/DH Big 10 Tournament foretold future "real life" events.