Monday, March 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by twelvefootboy »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:40 pm
i agree...was expecting at least one of these...malev, lot, avianca, garuda...the ones they gave were airlines 101
I don't know any of those names and I've flown international about 20 times over the years. Don't forget the average viewer maybe has had one or two splurge vacations out of the country. The only way to encounter these other airline names is to deliberately study them or to pay attention to the pretty planes taxiing around in foreign countries. It may be different for people who fly frequently from LAX, JFK, etc.. These obscure airlines would only be YEKIOYD clues and you wouldn't be able to shove enough TOM into them to make them interesting.

I got Canterbury Tales after eliminating the Bible since Gutenberg was German(?), and why would the second printing be relevant? If I'd thought of Beowulf or the King Arthur negbait I think I'd still stuck with Chaucer. I hated that my BS degree required wasting time and resources in humanities classes, but the hundreds of dollars and hours wasted will let me check one box for the poll next week.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Several monks sitting around a table with a bunch of laymen was a very strong pointer to "The Canterbury Tales." Pretty much an instant for me.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:53 pm
i agree...was expecting at least one of these...malev, lot, avianca, garuda...the ones they gave were airlines 101
I don't know any of those names and I've flown international about 20 times over the years. Don't forget the average viewer maybe has had one or two splurge vacations out of the country. The only way to encounter these other airline names is to deliberately study them or to pay attention to the pretty planes taxiing around in foreign countries. It may be different for people who fly frequently from LAX, JFK, etc.. These obscure airlines would only be YEKIOYD clues and you wouldn't be able to shove enough TOM into them to make them interesting.

I got Canterbury Tales after eliminating the Bible since Gutenberg was German(?), and why would the second printing be relevant? If I'd thought of Beowulf or the King Arthur negbait I think I'd still stuck with Chaucer. I hated that my BS degree required wasting time and resources in humanities classes, but the hundreds of dollars and hours wasted will let me check one box for the poll next week.
but the contestants aren't the average viewer...yeah perhaps the average viewer won't get them, but will be the same as it is for the classical music, art, opera, literature, clues that the majority won't have a clue with, but yet they go with them anyway

knew flown from jfk (in fact have never even been to new york city) and have only flown internationally out of lax 1 time and was on thai airways...have never flown on any of those airlines either...perhaps i am just an airline geek
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I usually feel the Airline categories are extremely YEKIOYD, but strangely, Air France in the top box was the only one that had me completely stumped.
a1srvng
Valued Contributor

Post by a1srvng »

Really interesting coincidence here (at least to me.) Like Vicki, I too was at that sneak preview in Denver of "Blade Runner". It was at the Continental Theater just off I-25 and Harrison Ford made a grand entrance in a leather coat although I don't recall him schmoozing or anything. (I can't help but remember that I thought he was a little on the short side. No biggie. I never get tired of that flick.) Don't remember Vicki; could have been standing right next to me. (Looks like we are about the same age.) Had to be 1982 . Ain't life funny?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eogpIG53Cis
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Who wouldn’t know Lot or Avianca??? I could see not knowing the other 2 but those 2 should be somewhat familiar.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Johnblue wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:55 am

Who wouldn’t know Lot or Avianca??? I could see not knowing the other 2 but those 2 should be somewhat familiar.
i agree..not the most obscure by any means...but a bit more challenging than the airlines they used in their clues on this episode...lot is pretty common for crossword clues...avianca wouldn't be the easiest for those who have no knowledge of south american aviation
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Darn, another dream category that won't be around if I'm ever selected for the show. If there was such a thing as the Geographic Spelling Bee, I have a feeling that I would've placed very high in it.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:26 pm

Not to mention that I SAID IN THIS VERY THREAD that I got today's FJ! right...
Yayyyyy, TPH ! Congrats! :D
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Thought I was seeing things when they introduced an entire category on Sir Neville Mariner. I know classical music is not in most folks' wheelhouses, but he's not exactly a household word even for music fans. I've heard his recordings enough over the years that I was immediately precalling "The Academy of St. Martin in the Fields."

FJ? I thought the picture looked far too diverse and casual for a bunch of knights and immediately dismissed anything related to King Arthur. The date sort of led me to Canterbury Tales and I had nothing better, so chalk one up for the win column to start the week.

LT: St. Martin etc., Mauritius, Bartok, and Mediterranean. (Funny how the one guy was spelling that and just seemed to run out of steam.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Johnblue wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:55 am Who wouldn’t know Lot or Avianca???
Most people. It's actually LOT, by the way, but as far as I can tell it's not actually an acronym.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:07 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:43 pm again...i know who charlize theron is, but no idea what dave barry slept here is
If only there were some site you could look up these things on.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

John Boy wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:27 am LT: St. Martin etc., Mauritius, Bartok, and Mediterranean. (Funny how the one guy was spelling that and just seemed to run out of steam.
Surprised no one rang in on Mediterranean after Johnny negged. Would have loved to ring in with "That's Pee Wee Herman - P-E-E..."

Couldn't pull Mauritius and had no idea on the dodo / island connection
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

I watched the Googol/Gogol clue on a television that cut off the "1" after the animation. So I saw zero to the hundredth power, which is zero, so who the heck is Zer?
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:27 pm Canterbury Tales more from the date than the picture. What was I supposed to see in that illustration? The Wife of Bath?
A bunch of people sitting around a table for a meal. I didn't look closely at the actual figures (except to notice that they were diverse--not all knights, for example, and a mixture of male and female), but that's the setting for the Canterbury Tales--every night during the meal, somebody else would tell a story. The round table suggested to me a communal style meal (as opposed to a long, rectangular table, which might suggest that somebody--a king or some notable person--seated at the head of the table).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:55 am
Most people. It's actually LOT, by the way, but as far as I can tell it's not actually an acronym.
I still don't know it. If the 4 names in the OP were on a list and category "Transportation", it's a decent clue because of the Avianca TOM, but still a WAG. I just don't see where these airline names are to be acquired from everyday resources. But, the only new airline names to enter my experience are RyanAir and JetBlue, and of course Spirit for being the butt of jokes.

As an aside - in the late 60's you could say the same thing about car companies. In the midwest, it was VW and possibly Mercedes, Jaguar, MG, and Rolls Royce that people had heard of but never seen. Our high school had a pencil machine with car names and Fiat, Saab, Volvo, Peugot, etc. were all exotic and glamorous. Which represents the beginning and end of my car-guy CV :lol: .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:55 am
you are correct...not an acronym...LOT comes from the word lotnicze
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I took a few flights on LOT in the early 90s. They were ... interesting.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

If I've ever heard of Gogol, I don't remember it - and I wasn't going to come up with him from a picture, even with the concept of dropping an "o" from googol.

Even reading about him on Wikipedia, I still don't think I've ever heard of him. Chalk one up to poor representation of world literature in US curriculum.
davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:41 pm If I've ever heard of Gogol, I don't remember it - and I wasn't going to come up with him from a picture, even with the concept of dropping an "o" from googol.

Even reading about him on Wikipedia, I still don't think I've ever heard of him. Chalk one up to poor representation of world literature in US curriculum.
We can blame our schools for a lot of things, but not teaching us Gogol is stretching it. Though I wouldn't be surprised if somewhere in America someone has taught his story The Nose, or his play The Inspector General (the basis for a Danny Kaye film), which was seen off-Broadway this past summer in NY...
Not that I got this clue, you understand... :roll: