Monday, March 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Monday, March 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by DBear »

ugh, just couldn't get a flow of the game. Too much starting at the bottom of the category. Did manage to run Wrong & American Political History.
trash pickup: Mediterranean, Bartok, 17 DD, googol/Gogol DD.
dubious about the spirit quest reversal. I've only heard it referred to as 'vision quest'. There was even an '80s movie.
FJ was pure WAG.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I've been sick all day.

Can't say I've heard of Charlize Theron. That's definitely a name that would Hawley-Smoot for me. I ended up bombing the category.

The Airlines were far easier than I thought. Hawaiian Airlines was obvious after the fact, and I blanked on Aer Lingus. Strangely, Air France was the only one I had no hope on.

"Mediterranean" is always hard for me to spell too. At least I finally placed Kilimanjaro in the right continent.

I got the Googol/gogol DD.

...did I just precall the correct response? Sure, let's go with that .
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

I immediately thought Canterbury Takes for FJ but during the Think Music I checked out Wikipedia & the publication date there is off by a century. Embarrassing to exit with nothing after a nice run on Friday. We haven’t seen a repeat winner in quite a while & I thought Tristan would do it.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:02 pm I've been sick all day.

The Airlines were far easier than I thought. Hawaiian Airlines was obvious after the fact, and I blanked on Aer Lingus. Strangely, Air France was the only one I had no hope on.

"Mediterranean" is always hard for me to spell too. At least I finally placed Kilimanjaro in the right continent.

:shock: WTG Bobby! (I found, through my bout with the flu last week and playing HQ/Quizzo/etc. in bed, that I actually performed better at trivia than usual when I was sick. I wondered if that's actually a thing but here's another data point.)

Loved the geography spelling category. Was hoping Kyrgyzstan would come up though.

Had no guess at all on FJ, didn't even notice the round table. If I was on stage and was either of those contestants (since the bet and place doesn't really matter) I would have said "The Joy of Cooking" as a joke.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

For the record, this was the first game taped after Alex's surgery--it would have been taped on January 16.

I got FJ!--it looked to me like a bunch of random villagers.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

got another final jeopardy correct by default...only medieval book i could come up with
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

Can't say I've heard of Charlize Theron. That's definitely a name that would Hawley-Smoot for me. I ended up bombing the category.

i know charlize theron...no idea what hawley-smoot is though
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

i agree...was expecting at least one of these...malev, lot, avianca, garuda...the ones they gave were airlines 101
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:38 pm i know charlize theron...no idea what hawley-smoot is though
It's me appropriating a gag from Dave Barry Slept Here where he kept repeatedly mentioning THE HAWLEY-SMOOT TARIFF just because he thought it was a funny name. That led me to establish my "Hawley-Smoot" rule; i.e., the funnier a name is, the more likely I am to remember it.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:19 pm

:shock: WTG Bobby! (I found, through my bout with the flu last week and playing HQ/Quizzo/etc. in bed, that I actually performed better at trivia than usual when I was sick. I wondered if that's actually a thing but here's another data point.)

Loved the geography spelling category. Was hoping Kyrgyzstan would come up though.

Had no guess at all on FJ, didn't even notice the round table. If I was on stage and was either of those contestants (since the bet and place doesn't really matter) I would have said "The Joy of Cooking" as a joke.)
i was glad it didn't...have taken the jet punk countries of the world quiz like 100 times and still have yet to master the spelling of it...i type in bishkek in a search to get the country spelling and copy and paste it for that quiz
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:40 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:38 pm i know charlize theron...no idea what hawley-smoot is though
It's me appropriating a gag from Dave Barry Slept Here where he kept repeatedly mentioning THE HAWLEY-SMOOT TARIFF just because he thought it was a funny name. That led me to establish my "Hawley-Smoot" rule; i.e., the funnier a name is, the more likely I am to remember it.
again...i know who charlize theron is, but no idea what dave barry slept here is
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:40 pm

i agree...was expecting at least one of these...malev, lot, avianca, garuda...the ones they gave were airlines 101

I dealt with the first 3 but Garuda never flew into jfk!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

41 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Metropolitan Museum of Art, Lanai, (Seventeen), Bela Bartok, Mauritius, Mediterranean, (Googol, Gogol)

Ran Airlines, Book Hide Away, and Geographic Spelling.

Other of my gets include Barbary Wars and Noam Chomsky.

4/4 in Birth Country. Honestly thought Seal was Mexican.

Whenever I hear Carpathian, I only think of Romanian.
Douglas Squasoni
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:43 pm again...i know who charlize theron is, but no idea what dave barry slept here is
If only there were some site you could look up these things on.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:07 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:43 pm again...i know who charlize theron is, but no idea what dave barry slept here is

i find it odd that you know of those 2 obscure things, but have failed to come up with a final jeopardy clue this year
Last edited by CasketRomance on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:20 pm

i find it out that you know of those 2 obscure things, but have failed to come up with a final jeopardy clue this year
Way to whiff on the slow pitch of TPH telling you to look something up instead of asking about it here.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:22 pm

i find it out that you know of those 2 obscure things, but have failed to come up with a final jeopardy clue this year
Way to whiff on the slow pitch of TPH telling you to look something up instead of asking about it here.
Not to mention that I SAID IN THIS VERY THREAD that I got today's FJ! right...
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Odd game overall, but I did love Tristan's look. I'd guess the shirt is by Paul Smith, but it could be from anywhere

Hero to zero: how many players win at least 1 game only to flame out and not to make it to FJ in a later game?? I can think of a few, but not many

I've noticed a recent casting trend on Jeopardy! Guys with bushy beards and women with partially dyed hair. Is it just me?

I guessed The Met because where else would you want to hide out in NYC?

Canterbury Tales more from the date than the picture. What was I supposed to see in that illustration? The Wife of Bath?

----
update: Oh, duh. I get it now. That Rodin sculpture, The Burghers of Calais. Not in a million years
Last edited by morbeedo on Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:26 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:22 pm

Not to mention that I SAID IN THIS VERY THREAD that I got today's FJ! right...
missed that...but seeing there was a poll set up asking about when you will finally get one right, it is odd that you knew those 2 things in question, but not the woman that portrayed on film the most notorious female serial killers in usa history