Monday, March 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7726, 2018-03-26

CONTESTANTS
Johnny Trutor, an instructional technologist from Colchester, Vermont
Vicki Cole, a compliance technician from Denver, Colorado
Tristan Mohabir, a nonprofit associate director from Washington, D.C. (whose 1-day cash winnings total $15,200)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. Spring has sprung, and we're all feeling really good. I hope that applies to our challengers today, Vicki and Johnny, as well as to our returning champion, Tristan. Good luck to you. Here we go into the first round. Now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AIRLINES (5/5)
SOUNDS LIKE MEAT (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HIDE AWAY IN A BOOK (4/5)
MY COUNTRY (OF BIRTH) (4/5)
RITE (5/5)
WRONG (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Tristan: 10 R, 0 W
Johnny: 11 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Vicki: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Johnny: $2,800
Tristan: $2,200
Vicki: $2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Johnny Trutor is from Colchester, Vermont. He is an instructional technologist who in his spare time likes to fix old video games. What are we talking about with old video games?

Johnny: We're talking about just about everything from the NES up through the Sega Genesis all the way to some more modern consoles like the PlayStation. I like to take things apart, put 'em back together. Fix batteries, fix wires, whatever needs fixing.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Vicki Cole is from Denver, Colorado. And you had the good fortune to meet Harrison Ford at the premiere of Blade Runner. Now are we talking about the original Blade Runner? Or the new--

Vicki: We're talking about the original, unedited Blade Runner. Sneak preview. I had gone with a friend of mine, and a limousine pulled out in front of the building, and up comes Harrison Ford in his leather jacket, and everybody in the place just froze. And he came and shook hands with everybody, was terrifically nice.

Alex: Great experience for you. Good.

Alex: Tristan Mohabir from Washington, D.C. In high school...

Tristan: Mm-hm.

Alex: You received something that I did not know existed, and that is a varsity letter for...

Tristan: My friends gave me a lot of flak for getting a varsity letter for quiz bowl in high school. But this is as close to professional athletics as I think any of us have gotten, so I got the last laugh.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Johnny found the Daily Double on the 22nd clue. Tristan had $3,400, Vicki had $4,400, and Johnny was at $3,800. Johnny made it a True Daily Double, wagering $3,800.

SOUNDS LIKE MEAT $1000: A citizen of a town, whether it's Calais or not

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MY COUNTRY (OF BIRTH) $800: Seal
(Johnny: What is Nigeria?)

HIDE AWAY IN A BOOK $400: Claudia & her brother run away from home & hide in this NYC museum in "From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Johnny: $8,000
Vicki: $5,200
Tristan: $5,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, March 26, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE RHYME OF SIR NEVILLE MARRINER (3/5)
O NO! (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
EMMYS FOR COMEDY (1/1)
LINGUISTICS (4/5)
AMERICAN POLITICAL HISTORY (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
GEOGRAPHIC SPELLING BEE (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Johnny: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Tristan: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Vicki: 2 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tristan snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Tristan had $6,200, Vicki had $5,200, and Johnny was at $8,000. Tristan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $6,200.

AMERICAN POLITICAL HISTORY $1200: In 1999 the Senate voted 50-50 on the charge that Bill Clinton obstructed justice, this many votes shy of conviction
(Tristan: What is 10?)
(Alex: No, you need two-thirds of the Senate to convict.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Tristan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Tristan had $2,800, Vicki had $2,400, and Johnny was at $12,000. Tristan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $2,800.

O NO! $2000: Drop an "O" from the word represented on the left to get the person on the right
(Alex: Tristan?)
(Tristan: What is...)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GEOGRAPHIC SPELLING BEE $1600: The Dole Pineapple Company once owned 98% of this 5-letter Hawaiian island
(Tristan: Oh. What is O-A-H-U?)

THE RHYME OF SIR NEVILLE MARRINER $1600: Critics agree the results were quite Bela/
When Nev did the works of this composing fella

O NO! $1200: When "O" skips out of a track for a record needle, a small orchard of citrus trees grows in its place
(Tristan: What is an orange grove?)

GEOGRAPHIC SPELLING BEE $2000: The dodo once made its home on this island about 500 miles east of Madagascar

LINGUISTICS $2000: Among the Uralic languages are Finnish, Estonian & this main language of the Carpathian basin

GEOGRAPHIC SPELLING BEE $400: The name of this large sea comes from words for "middle of the land"
(Johnny: What is Mediterranean? ...What is the Med--M-E-D-E... M-E-D-I-T-E-R-R-A-N? No.)

THE RHYME OF SIR NEVILLE MARRINER $2000: Fans of Sir Neville habitually hearten/
to hear him with this band that mentions St. Martin
(Vicki: What is St. Martin in the Field?)
[Originally ruled correct; ruled incorrect before the second Daily Double]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Johnny: $14,000 (lock game)
Vicki: $2,800
Tristan: $0

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEDIEVAL LITERATURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place.
Johnny: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $8,399 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Vicki: You've no hope of catching up... unless Johnny does something stupid. So risk as much as $2,799; you needn't worry about falling into third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The illustration seen here appeared in the second printed edition of this book, published in England in 1483

FINAL SCORES
Vicki: $2,800 - $2,800 = $0 (What is Beowulf?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Johnny: $14,000 + $0 = $14,000 (What is Le Morte D'Arthur? The Canterbury Tales) (New champion: $14,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Johnny: $11,200, 21 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Tristan: $9,000, 15 R, 4 W (including 2 DDs)
Vicki: $2,800, 9 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $23,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Johnny: 22/59 = .373
Tristan: 15/60 = .250
Vicki: 9/58 = .155
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WRONG $1000: Jimmy Carter proclaimed in 1977 the greatness of this man has created "an island of stability" in the Middle East

RITE $1000: This rite is a solo vigil by a Plains Indian boy to seek spiritual power & knowledge through an apparition
(Vicki: What is a spirit quest?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct before Double Jeopardy!]

AIRLINES $1000: Let's tail this overseas airline

RITE $600: In this religion, a book of the dead called the "Bardo Thodol" is read to the dying to help them prepare for a favorable rebirth
(Johnny: What is Hinduism?)

GEOGRAPHIC SPELLING BEE $1200: It's Paraguay's largest city
(Tristan: What is Asuncion?)
(Alex: You have to spell it.)

AMERICAN POLITICAL HISTORY $1600: This man's political rise began when he was just 30 & the people of Nebraska elected him to Congress

AMERICAN POLITICAL HISTORY $2000: Military engagements authorized by Congress include the 1801 First & 1815 Second of these African wars
(Vicki: What are the Boer Wars?)
(Alex: Say it again?)
(Vicki: The Boer Wars?)

LINGUISTICS $1600: Now known more for political work, this linguist came up with the concept of universal grammar
(Johnny: Who is Will?)

GEOGRAPHIC SPELLING BEE $800: This 19,340-foot African peak is said to be the highest "walkable" mountain in the world
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

AMERICAN POLITICAL HISTORY $800: This keystone state's name is spelled incorrectly in the U.S. Constitution
(Johnny: [*]. What is [*]?)

EMMYS FOR COMEDY $400: 2004:
Him as Frasier Crane
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
a burgher
Great Britain
the Metropolitan Museum of Art
googol and Gogol
L-A-N-A-I
Bela Bartok
groove and grove
M-A-U-R-I-T-I-U-S
Hungarian
M-E-D-I-T-E-R-R-A-N-E-A-N
the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields
The Canterbury Tales
the shah of Iran
a vision quest (or spirit quest)
Aer Lingus
Buddhism
A-S-U-N-C-I-O-N
William Jennings Bryan
the Barbary Wars
Noam Chomsky
K-I-L-I-M-A-N-J-A-R-O
Pennsylvania
Kelsey Grammer
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEDIEVAL LITERATURE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The illustration seen here appeared in the second printed edition of this book, published in England in 1483
Spoiler
Tristan Mohabir: 0
Vicki Cole: 2800-2800=0
Johnny Trutor: 14000+0=14000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Canterbury Tales (Vicki – Beowulf) (Johnny – Le Morte D’Arthur The Canterbury Tales)

Daily Doubles
Johnny: 3800
Tristan: 6200-6200
Tristan: 2800-2800

Coryats
Tristan: 9000
Vicki: 2800
Johnny: 11200

Combined: 23,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Tristan: 5000
Vicki: 5200
Johnny: 8000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex looked well and hosted with no problems other than the giveth and taketh away with Vicki.

The giveth was in RITE $1000: This rite is a solo vigil by a plains India boy to seek spiritual power & knowledge through an apparition

Spirit quest was negged and later reversed to open the DJ! round.

The taketh was in THE RHYME OF SIR NEVEILLE MARRINER $2000: Fans of Sir Neville habitually hearten/ To hear him with this band that mentions St. Martin

Her singular response was accepted and then reversed at DD3.

SOUNDS LIKE MEAT $600 reminded me of this comic from a few days ago
Spoiler
The FJ! category begged for precalls as there are certain works that J! likes a lot. I had the correct response on my short list and the image let me enjoy the think music to know Monday was off to a good start. Hope no one knew the work was written earlier and let 1483 steer them wrong.

Johnny had a guaranteed day one payout, so I completely understand the zero wager. In his shoes I probably would have bet $1000 for the pretty 15K. With nothing at risk then go for the humor. What would be a funny response to go along with the image and clue? “Thanksgiving At My House” would do the trick off the image, but not as much off England and the year.

With the visual aspect of the clue that meant the Jeopardy! Site’s clue of the day was different and instead picked one from an earlier round. For those that peek early it must have looked strange to see:

MY COUNTRY (OF BIRTH) as the category and a whopping two words, “Penelope Cruz” as the clue.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

It's a round table. What else was I supposed to guess?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:28 pm It's a round table. What else was I supposed to guess?
Well, see Johnny's cross out above.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:30 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:28 pm It's a round table. What else was I supposed to guess?
Yeah, that was my guess too. Nevermind those people obviously aren't knights. Well, except for the knight, I suppose.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Those would be pretty casual looking knights!
Tencent
Contributor

Post by Tencent »

I have sort of noticed a change in the nature of the clues over the past few weeks. I have no data on this, but the clues seem a bit different.
Double jeopardy with multiple word play-ish categories rang a bit strange for me. I was sort of guessing on some turnover in the writers' room?

Has anyone else noticed this change or is it just me?
4 time pool swimmer
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:35 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:30 pm
Yeah, that was my guess too. Nevermind those people obviously aren't knights. Well, except for the knight, I suppose.
Mine, too. Saw the round table and never thought about anything else.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I was the exact opposite of Johnny: I started with my precall of The Canterbury Tales, nearly switched when I saw the date and the round table, but just barely managed to convince myself that the picture didn't make sense for a bunch of knights, and stuck with my original answer. I thought both it (1387) and Le Morte d'Arthur (1485) were a lot older than that; dates noted for future reference. Also a good thing I didn't know Le Morte d'Arthur's publication date before, or I would've switched for sure without giving a second thought to the minor 2 year difference or the bit about "second printed edition".

Where did Tristan get that shirt...
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

I just recognized the Canterbury Tales art style.

I had to look up the difference between Googol and Googolplex.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I thought they were reversing Vicki for omitting "Academy of" from her response. Seems like a bigger omission than the trailing s.

Coin flip on whether they were looking for The Invisible Man or Invisible Man. I really need to nail those down.

Pre-called Beowulf, went immediately to the correct response as soon as I saw the image.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

heppm01 wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:53 pm Coin flip on whether they were looking for The Invisible Man or Invisible Man. I really need to nail those down.
Not perfect, but this works for me: The Invisible Man (3 words) is by H.G. Wells (3 'words') and Invisible Man and Ralph Ellison are both 2 words.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I thought that the second row and third row clues were by far the hardest in the hiding places in literature category that came up in the J! round. Invisible Man and Jane Eyre in the bottom two rows seemed like classic study list material. And spelling categories are dumb; the geographic spelling category would have been fine as a general geography category. Overall this was an enjoyable board, though.

I accidentally said "Barbaric Wars" for the Barbary Wars at first. The "Boer" neg gave me time to correct myself.

Count me as one who was thrown by the year in the FJ clue. I said The Faerie Queen, even though I knew it was wrong. And even though I wouldn't have expected it to come up as a FJ in regular play, I really thought that Le Morte d'Arthur was correct when it was shown as the new champ's original response.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I noticed the round table, unsuccessfully tried to remember Le Morte D'Arthur, and defaulted to Canterbury Tales once I couldn't pull it.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Fun fact for those deep into statistics keeping: I believe Johnny is the first champ from Vermont in almost three years. I saw a couple weeks ago someone from the Rutland Herald retweeted Johnny about his upcoming appearance, so I'm very pleased to see a big W from the right podium this evening! Looking forward to tomorrow's game.

Lancelot in Final with no confidence. Oops. :(
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

threearruda wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:05 pm Fun fact for those deep into statistics keeping: I believe Johnny is the first champ from Vermont in almost three years. I saw a couple weeks ago someone from the Rutland Herald retweeted Johnny about his upcoming appearance, so I'm very pleased to see a big W from the right podium this evening! Looking forward to tomorrow's game.
I also believe he is from the same as the geek troubadour, The Colchester Kid himself, Jonathan Coulton.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Tencent wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:19 pm I have sort of noticed a change in the nature of the clues over the past few weeks. I have no data on this, but the clues seem a bit different.
Double jeopardy with multiple word play-ish categories rang a bit strange for me. I was sort of guessing on some turnover in the writers' room?

Has anyone else noticed this change or is it just me?
I agree that something seems different, but I can’t put my finger on it. In some cases I can’t figure out what they’re looking for.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

[edited, duplicate post]
Last edited by DBear on Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.