Tuesday, March 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Tuesday, March 27, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by DBear »

I'd like to thank Marillion for me getting "La Gazza Ladra".
Waaaaaay overthought FJ. Thought of "Chain Gang" and tried to come up with that artist {Sam Cooke, I would find out later].
So I got La Gazza Ladra but not the Beatles :?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

BobF wrote:
RobW wrote: I'm glad I didn't have to face that wicked FJ question...

Wicked because while it's not technically wrong...
(wikipedia confirms that yes, both of those Beatles song titles were indeed inspired by someone talking about working too hard)

...Eight Days a Week is lyrically 100% love song with no talk of overworking. So this Beatles fan would've considered it but I might've discarded that song and written down an answer like The Supremes. (for some reason the category title had me expecting Motown...)
This was a weird one for me as I'm also a huge Beatles fan. For about 20 seconds I was stuck on the song "16 Tons" and I was thinking it was by the same band that did "Tom Dooley" and I didn't come up with the name. Then I thought, almost out of time, let's go with the Beatles. Oh yeah, Hard Day's Night and Can't Buy Me Love. Surprised the second was Eight Days.
An aggravating no get for me, as I am a walking Beatles encyclopidia. Like Rob said, Eight Days a Week is totally un-work related, it could just as well have been Help! or Yellow Submarine and I would have never thought of the Beatles.
Like some of the other posters, I thought along the lines of Working in a Coal Mine, 16 Tons, Five O'Clock World, etc...
In hindsight, I suppose the two No.1 songs being 7 months apart was intended to lead you to a group known for phenominal success. But actually that wasn't such a rare occurance after the middle of the decade.
threearruda
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by threearruda »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:42 pm
This site does not list last names, but does have a Robert fitting your description of events: http://gameshows.wikia.com/wiki/The_Chase

This is definitely him on the return visit with Muffy:
Spoiler
Awesome.. I'm not losing my mind! I was about 99% certain it was him but I couldn't find any video in my quick search this morning. I'm fairly certain that The Beast beat him with a math question about donuts - poor guy stood no chance, but my brother and I were rolling on the floor that day.

Anywho, if a Vermonster has to lose, at least I like the new champ. Dimitri has the potential for a nice run - I hope I don't jinx it. :D
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

My first thought for Final was the Animals We gotta get out of this Place, but the only other Animals song I could think of was House of the Rising Sun, which was about work, but not from the protagonist's view.
Then I thought of the Rolling Stones Street Fighting Man and Salt of the Earth, but they were not big hits. Didn't think of Eight Days a Week, which isn't about work.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Lot of boardies seem to Pavlov to Beatles, but I was worried about it being too Pavlov'y. I joked with twelvefootgirl that I knew the two songs and could picture the band with a left hand bass player, etc.. but couldn't think of their name.

I did a very short detour thinking about "Midnight Special" (well, you wake up in the morning...) and subconsciously "16 tons", but then both song titles came at the same time somehow, both definitely #1's. Only doubt was -it can't be the Beatles - too easy..

I don't enjoy seeing the $24 K vacuumed out of Katy's grasp, especially after she answered the last 4 difficult questions she faced. You calculate your risks, you also calculate your rewards. Props to Dmitri, you've got game. Now you know you need to speed up your buzzer timing so you can put on a betting clinic tomorrow.

This rockhound got gneiss, but just like Bugs Bunny talking about the Tasmanian Devil's diet ga-nus, ga-nats, gophers, giraffes..) , I always pronounce the g (ga-nice)

A 61 clue game - how the hell? The video categories are an embarrassing grind. I thought sure saving it for last would doom the board in DJ.

We've seen two players call for TDD's, after several weeks of the expression being shunned.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:33 pm I don't enjoy seeing the $24 K vacuumed out of Katy's grasp,
I'm not sure what you mean by "vacuumed out" here? When I see this term, it usually implies a high degree of dishonesty, or someone robbing another person. In this case, the only person responsible for her not winning was Katy herself.

It should also be noted that Katy getting both DJ round DDs was a tremendous stroke of luck.
twelvefootboy wrote: Now you know you need to speed up your buzzer timing so you can put on a betting clinic tomorrow.
This makes no sense. Robert's mistake may have been that he was buzzing in too early and thus getting locked out.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:57 pm Well I guess those tiny DD wagers worked out for he.....wait, WHAT!!!??? I know I've said this before, but if I ever get up there, I will never bet small from the lead in FJ. Even in the worst category imaginable for me, they occasionally serve up a softball.
At the risk of being "one of those people", anyone who doesn't bet to win deserves to lose.

I went with the Stones on FJ.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

doihavetoreally wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:50 pm Five o'clock world? Probably old enough. I have nothing else..lets go with it.
You put down the song title or The Vogues? The Vogues seem awfully obscure for a FJ.

I thought of "A Hard Day's Night" right away, but couldn't think of the other Beatles song. Figured that was still the odds on bet and wrote The Beatles. I admit "Five O'Clock World" crossed my mind and I was also thinking about Beach Boys songs like Mark Barrett as time expired.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

SILENT G $1600 wrote:To defame or slander
"Malign" was given. I said "impugn". Judges?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

It would have been rational to Guess The Beatles just because they had 20 number one hits in the 60s. Or maybe some of the last ones were in the 70s. But anyway. The problem with that question was that there wasn't time to think through Beatles hits to say nothing of trying to figure out which one of them made it to number one.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

IronNeck wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:51 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:33 pm I don't enjoy seeing the $24 K vacuumed out of Katy's grasp,
I'm not sure what you mean by "vacuumed out" here? When I see this term, it usually implies a high degree of dishonesty, or someone robbing another person. In this case, the only person responsible for her not winning was Katy herself.

It should also be noted that Katy getting both DJ round DDs was a tremendous stroke of luck.
twelvefootboy wrote: Now you know you need to speed up your buzzer timing so you can put on a betting clinic tomorrow.
This makes no sense. Robert's mistake may have been that he was buzzing in too early and thus getting locked out.
The first part was the result of some butchered up editing to be kind to Katy. I struck several sentences. I don't agree with her strategy unless she REALLY hated the category but it's her choice and I hate to see it backfire. I aim to never flame and generally try to say something nice about the winners, the losers, the writers, and sometimes AT.

Of course I meant speedy buzzer timing to mean after T=0, whenever that is. I believe they have a light to go by, but most probably pre-click to anticipate it.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

As some are massive beatle fans, I’m a massive fan of The Rolling Stones so I knew they weren’t the answer. Their #1’s in the 60’s were the 2 mentioned earlier plus Paint It Black, Ruby Tuesday & Honky Tonk Women. They had 3 more chart toppers in the 70’s. I went with beatles because WECIB? I was rooting for Katie but those DD bets were cringeworthy & then the FJ wager was hard to see. Anyway, good game!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

dhkendall wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:38 pm
SILENT G $1600 wrote:To defame or slander
"Malign" was given. I said "impugn". Judges?
That's what I said, so I'd give it credit!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Considerably less sick today.

Great J! round for me. Ran the Crossword Clues and Blank Expressions category, got all but Camille in French names and germination in Bowery. However, I didn't recognize anything in Television except for The Good Doctor.

I thought Alaska for $200 was a total crapshoot, but I tend to hate "Of X, Y, or Z" clues anyway for their laziness.

Was the movie titles category really that tough? I thought the "St. Joan" TS in the top box indicated obscurity. Poll request?

Heavy workloads -> Hard Day's Night -> Beatles. Not sure what the other song -- oh wait, Eight Days a Week. Yeah, definitely Beatles now. :D

Lach Trash: madrigal, gneiss
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I will be checking the box in the weekly poll stating that I got this FJ right but thought of the wrong songs.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:33 am The first part was the result of some butchered up editing to be kind to Katy. I struck several sentences. I don't agree with her strategy unless she REALLY hated the category but it's her choice and I hate to see it backfire. I aim to never flame and generally try to say something nice about the winners, the losers, the writers, and sometimes AT.
Betting not to cover 3rd in that situation only makes sense if one believes he/she has a 10% or less chance to get FJ correct. Of course, then one wonders

-How in the world does someone who played a decent/competent game of Jeopardy have that low of a chance on ANY category?!

-If one is aware that they know literally nothing about a subcategory frequently asked on the show, why not spend a single afternoon between getting the call and appearing on the show to raise one's chances to at least 30% on it, which is very doable?
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

The Mauritius/dodo connection came up on Only Connect either last week or the week before. I'm not sure I would have been able to recall it fast enough today if it wasn't fresh in my memory.

I could swear that was an underwager from the leader. Hmm. I must be imagining things. :lol: I'm glad Dimitri had to bet big to cover 3rd place, and wagering justice was carried out.

Eight Days a Week was the first Beatles song I thought of that seemed like it might fit the clue, and though it isn't about work, I couldn't think of a better guess than The Beatles. I thought the second song might be Help!

A funnier wrong answer might have been The Zombies. Sure, their two big US hits were almost 5 years apart, and they didn't hit #1 on the Billboard charts, but it's fun to imagine She's Not There because she's at work, and it's the Time of the Season for ♫woooorkiiiiing♫.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:02 pm The FJ clue had a lot to process in 30 seconds. "Hard Day's Night" came to mind immediately (along with several others, including "Working in a Coal Mine" - which I knew was Devo, but thought it was a cover of a 60s song).
"Working in the Coal Mine" was a number 8 hit written and produced by Allen Toussaint and performed by Lee Dorsey in 1966.
I would prefer not to.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

harrumph wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:49 am I will be checking the box in the weekly poll stating that I got this FJ right but thought of the wrong songs.
I will also be checking it if that box is for at least one song wrong. "Eight Days A Week" came first and then "Help!"
Coincidentally, there was a seven month gap between the UK releases of those two songs (December 1964 and July 1965, respectively) but "Eight Days A Week" wasn't issued as a single in the UK.
Last edited by Bartleby on Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would prefer not to.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I figured that there couldn't have been that many group acts that had multiple #1s in the 60s, especially within a fairly short amount of time. I gravitated toward rock acts as they tend to be more likely to write their own material, which left me with the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Beach Boys. I couldn't think of any songs for the latter two acts that would have fit, so I defaulted toward the Beatles without any idea of which songs were in mind. I did come up with Eight Days a Week shortly before the think music ended to seal the deal.