Wednesday, March 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by AFRET CMS »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:15 pm I couldn't think of any early 90s movies made into musicals... other than Beauty and the Beast.
Post-1990 music and pop culture are probably my very weakest areas; I'm familiar with "The Bodyguard" but don't remember hearing either of the songs in the clue. I did remember "The Little Mermaid" came out in the early '90s and was later turned into a live-action musical, and "wanting to dance" seemed to fit with the theme, so .....

Second time in a week "The Little Mermaid" has been my wrong answer to a clue. Which means it will probably come up as a correct answer within a week or two, and I'll draw a blank and respond with "Citizen Kane" or something.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

alietr wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:30 pm Apparently one of the questions last night caught the eye of Eric Trump:

Always fun being a #jeopardy question. 🛎: Who is “brother in law.” 🇺🇸🤛 pic.twitter.com/nBEiI8VZmK
— Eric Trump (@EricTrump) March 28, 2018

And that caught Robert Dimitri's attention:

Hi! I’m the one who answered this correctly on the show. Yes, you & your family are famous enough to appear as clues on Jeopardy!. I expect your father will make more appearances in the future under the categories “Political Embarrassments” & “Self-Promoting, Lying Jackasses.”
— C. Robert Dimitri (@crobertdimitri) March 29, 2018
My wife was listening from the kitchen without watching, and as soon as AT finished reading the question called out "What are future cellmates?"
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:03 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:15 pm I couldn't think of any early 90s movies made into musicals... other than Beauty and the Beast.
Post-1990 music and pop culture are probably my very weakest areas; I'm familiar with "The Bodyguard" but don't remember hearing either of the songs in the clue. I did remember "The Little Mermaid" came out in the early '90s and was later turned into a live-action musical, and "wanting to dance" seemed to fit with the theme, so .....

Second time in a week "The Little Mermaid" has been my wrong answer to a clue. Which means it will probably come up as a correct answer within a week or two, and I'll draw a blank and respond with "Citizen Kane" or something.
but those songs are pre-1990
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

CasketRomance wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:11 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:03 pm

but those songs are pre-1990
Good point. I should have also mentioned that post-1985 pop music and culture is almost as weak. Our oldest was born in 1980 and our youngest in 1986, so Sesame Street, Square One Television, Carmen San Diego, Ghostwriter, and Disney from 1984 until 1996 are wheelhouse categories. Pop music, not so much.

I would recognize "I Will Always Love You" along with the previously-mentioned "The Greatest Love of All" and "Saving All My Love For You" as Houston songs, though I'm much more familiar with the McCoo/Davis version of the latter. But I have to confess that although I certainly don't dislike Whitney Houston, neither of the songs mentioned in the clue rang any bells for me at all.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Still trying to catch up with current games.

R: 22, W: 1, costing 1000
Coryat: 15,400
FJ: :(
DD: 1/2
LT: chaparral, blasting cap, robe (if tunic is an acceptable alternative)

Timings:
3:46 + 2:29 = 6:15
6:54
1:24

In the J! round, the whole bottom row were TS clues, along with 2 more in the 800 row. The DJ round was just as bad, with 4 TSs in the bottom row and 3 others scattered around the board.

Put me down for another Dirty Dancing. Ruled out Beauty and the Beast, since the Disneyphile in me knew those weren't the right songs added for the stage. I am vaguely aware that The Bodyguard exists. Had no idea at all that it also was made into a stage show. Don't know anything at all about it, now that I think of it.
--Peter
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

alietr wrote: And that caught Robert Dimitri's attention:

Hi! I’m the one who answered this correctly on the show. Yes, you & your family are famous enough to appear as clues on Jeopardy!. I expect your father will make more appearances in the future under the categories “Political Embarrassments” & “Self-Promoting, Lying Jackasses.”
What are the odds you would post this kind of insult if a J! contestant had tweeted it to Barack Obama's daughter?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:31 am

What are the odds you would post this kind of insult if a J! contestant had tweeted it to Barack Obama's daughter?
Why, did she post a tweet bragging about being in a clue on Jeopardy?
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:09 am
Category 13 wrote: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:31 am

Why, did she post a tweet bragging about being in a clue on Jeopardy?
And, did the Obamas' daughters get involved in shady business deals and/or thrust themselves into the political discussion? If a presidential family member wants to lay low, they should, you know, lay low.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Musical Theatre is one of my wheelhouse categories, but I missed this FJ! despite having seen the show on tour in October. I saw it mainly because it was in the subscriber series and I had heard that Deborah Cox is good in it, but it's not a particularly good show. I couldn't connect those two songs to Houston; if I had shifted to concentrating on the year of the movie, I might have pulled it.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

35 right.

New York City (5), Entertaining (3), Knee (4), News (4), Relationships (3), "AL" (2)
Pipe (2), Mysterious (1), Nobel (2), Leagues (4), Cat (3), Novels (2)

Lach Trash: Jacob Javits, Terracotta Army, apartheid, mother; Daily Double: Ireland

I knew that Whitney Houston sung those songs and the movie's title and assumed that the show had the same title as well.