Wednesday, March 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7728, 2018-03-28

CONTESTANTS
Emily Milan, a nanny from Birmingham, Michigan
Joey DiNardi, a substitute teacher from Newington, Connecticut
Robert Dimitri, a management and production assistant from Los Angeles, California (whose 1-day cash winnings total $23,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I'm gonna start off today with a wish for our three contestants, and that is that they are as successful in the first two rounds of play as was the situation yesterday, all three players having well over $10,000 going into the Final. It makes for a big payoff, and Dimitri can testify to that. So Joey and Emily, welcome aboard. Good luck. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round first, and now we'll look at the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CLUES ACROSS NEW YORK CITY (4/5) (Alex: And each one of those clues will be presented by the talented on-air people at WABC in New York.)
ENTERTAINING INSPIRATIONS (4/5)
POTPOURR-KNEE (3/4)
YESTERDAY'S NEWS (3/4)
RELATIONSHIPS ARE HARD (2/3)
GO SEE "AL" (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joey: 9 R, 1 W
Dimitri: 6 R, 0 W
Emily: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Emily: $2,200
Dimitri: $1,200
Joey: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Emily Milan is from Birmingham, Michigan. Emily, over the years I have received a lot of photos from fans, viewers, who take pictures of their dogs or their cats in front of the television set, mesmerized by Jeopardy!.

Emily: Yeah.

Alex: Your cat is a different story.

Emily: Yeah, something about the opening theme song and the graphics really freaks him out. Every time the show starts, he snaps to look at the TV, and then immediately hides under the coffee table, so...

Alex: You ever think of keeping him in another room at the beginning of the program so he doesn't have to experience this horror?

Emily: I mean, he knows what to do.

[Laughter]

Alex: Oh, okay. A trained cat.

Emily: Exactly.

Alex: Hard to get.

Alex: Joey DiNardi from Newington, Connecticut. One of the performers very much in the news this past year is The Rock. You're a big fan of his.

Joey: Yes, he's my all-time favorite professional wrestler. So when I was 18 years old, I traveled all the way down to North Carolina with a car that had broken engine mounts. My father said, "Don't drive the car, whatever you do this weekend." So I lied, and then I drove all the way, and it made it. The engine didn't fall out of the car. So I got to see The Rock beat Triple H and win the title

Alex: All right, good.

Alex: Robert Dimitri is our champion. He is from southern California. Now were you ever a chauffeur? Because I know that you drove Ben Kingsley around for a while.

Dimitri: I've had a few odd jobs since moving out among the chaparral, yeah.

[Laughter]

Dimitri: For a couple days, I drove Sir Ben Kingsley to and from some post-production audio work, and because I like to pad my resumé, since he is Sir Ben Kingsley, I like to say that I am also his squire.

Alex: Oh, good for you. Good thinking.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GO SEE "AL" $800: Area of dense shrubs often found in southern California

GO SEE "AL" $1000: High-level programming language used for teaching

ENTERTAINING INSPIRATIONS $1000: A very optimistic sermon by Father Divine led Johnny Mercer to write this classic 1944 song

CLUES ACROSS NEW YORK CITY $1000: (I'm Ryan Field from New York's ABC7.) The High Line Park runs from the Meatpacking District through Chelsea to New York City's convention center, named for this late senator
(Joey: Who is D'Amato?)
(Alex: And I do want to express my thanks to all those very talented people at WABC in New York, channel 7. They are so good, I don't think we're gonna invite them to do clues like that anymore.)

POTPOURR-KNEE $800: With feet of clay, a member of this spirit army takes a knee to protect Emperor Shihuangdi

YESTERDAY'S NEWS $1000: It was the winning 1-word slogan of the Afrikaner National Party in 1948

RELATIONSHIPS ARE HARD $1000: Mei Xiang to Bao Bao (born 2013)
(Emily: What is child?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Joey: $3,200
Dimitri: $2,600
Emily: $1,800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PIPE SHOW (3/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MYSTERIOUS WORDS (4/5)
ALFRED NOBEL, THIS IS YOUR LIFE (3/5)
LEAGUES (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SONGS FOR YOUR CAT (4/5)
NOVELS ABOUT JESUS (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Joey: 9 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Emily: 7 R, 1 W
Dimitri: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Joey snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Dimitri had $4,600, Joey had $5,600, and Emily was at $4,600. Joey wagered $5,000.

LEAGUES $1600: In the 19th century the Land League on this island sought to gain more rights from their British landlords
(Joey: What is Australia?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Joey who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Dimitri had $3,800, Joey had $5,000, and Emily was at $6,200. Joey wagered $1,300.

PIPE SHOW $2000: These are your standard PVC pipes--PVC short for this

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SONGS FOR YOUR CAT $2000: Members of The Cure wore kitty costumes in the video for this poppy tune, the band's first U.K. Top 10 hit

MYSTERIOUS WORDS $800: Monster of the Oedipus myth used to describe an inscrutable person
(Emily: What is enigma?)

LEAGUES $2000: "Defenders of soil, air, woods, waters & wildlife" is the compleat motto of the league named for this 17th c. Brit
(Dimitri: Who is Angler?)

NOVELS ABOUT JESUS $1600: The Greek Orthodox church tried & failed to excommunicate Nikos Kazantzakis for writing this 1955 novel

NOVELS ABOUT JESUS $2000: This title item of Jesus' clothing is won by a Roman soldier in a dice game in a Lloyd Douglas novel

ALFRED NOBEL, THIS IS YOUR LIFE $800: In 1863 Nobel patented this innovative "cap", a detonator for triggering explosives

ALFRED NOBEL, THIS IS YOUR LIFE $2000: An ailing Alfred died in this Italian city then known for "San"atoria & now for a music festival

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Joey: $7,900
Emily: $6,600
Dimitri: $5,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MUSICAL THEATER

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Joey: Wager $5,301 to cover Emily.
Emily: You ought to wager to cover Dimitri, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $6,600. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $5,000 (to shut out Dimitri) or less than $4,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Dimitri). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Joey.
Dimitri: You ought to try wagering between $801 and $3,200. This will top a $0 wager by Emily while still beating Joey and Emily on the Triple Stumper (should Joey wager to cover Emily's doubled score and Emily wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This show has songs that weren't in the 1992 film it's based on, like "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" & "How Will I Know"

FINAL SCORES
Dimitri: $5,800 + $3,200 = $9,000 (What is The Bodyguard?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Emily: $6,600 + $5,001 = $11,601 (What is The Bodyguard?) (New champion: $11,601)
Joey: $7,900 + $0 = $7,900 (What is the Bodyguard?) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: Great songs by the late, great Whitney Houston.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $17,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Joey: $13,600, 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Emily: $6,600, 12 R, 2 W
Dimitri: $5,800, 10 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $26,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Joey: 19/60 = .317
Emily: 13/58 = .224
Dimitri: 11/58 = .190
Team: 43/63 = .683

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CLUES ACROSS NEW YORK CITY $200: (I'm Lee Goldberg from New York's ABC7.) In the 1800s Brooklyn's Plymouth Church became known as the "the Grand Central depot" of this secretive network that helped slaves escape to the North

CLUES ACROSS NEW YORK CITY $400: (I'm Bill Ritter from New York's ABC7.) I'm in Flushing Meadows in Queens & the towers behind me were part of the New York State pavilion at this 1964 celebration

CLUES ACROSS NEW YORK CITY $600: (I'm Sade Baderinwa from New York's ABC7.) On the way to Staten Island from Manhattan you can see this island where the American lives of many U.S. families began

CLUES ACROSS NEW YORK CITY $800: (I'm Liz Cho from New York's ABC7.) Ulysses S. Grant & his wife Julia lie together in Grant's Tomb in upper Manhattan; it is said their desire to be interred side by side stemmed from a visit to the tomb of this Spanish royal couple

POTPOURR-KNEE $200: Recipients kneel on a special footstool before Queen Elizabeth to be dubbed a dame or this male equivalent
(Joey: What is Sir?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct before the start of Double Jeopardy!]

POTPOURR-KNEE $400: Here's Leonardo's version of the Annunciation, with this angel kneeling before the Virgin Mary

YESTERDAY'S NEWS $800: Behind Gandhi is a throng of supporters in the symbolic march to the sea in 1930 to collect this

YESTERDAY'S NEWS $600: Though Eli Whitney secured a patent for this invention in 1794, the ease of its piracy put the man out of business
(Alex: With less than a minute.)

PIPE SHOW $400: Seen here is an engraving of this god & his eponymous pipe

PIPE SHOW $1600: The blowpipe & dart seen here are from Sarawak on the Malaysian part of this island
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
chaparral
Pascal
"Accentuate The Positive"
Jacob Javits
the terracotta warriors
apartheid
mother
Ireland
polyvinyl chloride
"Love Cats"
the Sphinx
Izaak Walton
The Last Temptation of Christ
the robe
a blasting cap
Sanremo
The Bodyguard
the Underground Railroad
the World's Fair
Ellis Island
Ferdinand and Isabella
a knight
Gabriel
salt
the cotton gin
Pan
Borneo
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MUSICAL THEATER

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This show has songs that weren’t in the 1992 film it’s based on, like “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” & “How Will I Know”

Robert Dimitri: 5800+3200=9000
Joey DiNardi: 7900+0=7900
Emily Milan: 6600+5001=11601 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Bodyguard

Daily Doubles
DD1: Not found
Joey: 5600-5000
Joey: 5000+1300

Coryats
Robert: 5800
Joey: 13600
Emily: 6600

Combined: 26,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Robert: 2600
Joey: 3200
Emily: 1800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was appropriate that Alex called on Joey to respond to the clue about Phoebe’s cat from Friends.

It was not appropriate that Joey named D’Amato as the late senator with his name on the convention center.

Robert had an audible reaction to the reveal of the FJ! round category that Alex noticed. I wonder if that had any influence on Joey’s wager? Could that have been enough to plant a seed in Joey’s head, “Oh yeah, scary category.” Joey went out with a once bitten (-5000 on DD2) and twice shy.

My Film on LL is .750 and my Theatre is .710, so I’m with the players on having no problem with the clue. It should have been advantage leader and Joey threw it away.

Emily was not close to outplaying Joey, but she did outplay Robert. Her narrow 2nd place edge was enough to get the lunch experience.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I had no idea that it was a musical, but the year and songs did the trick. I just had to hope that the musical had the same title as the film.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

What is in the water!? Again, no matter how much you hate a category, sometimes it's a softball right down the middle of the plate. I know less about musicals than Emily's cat, but two Whitney Houston songs (which my mother played enough times when i was younger to burn them into my soul and I'll never be free) + 1992 film? Even I can handle that (A Bodyguard musical? I hated the movie, a full blown musical must've sucked). I hope Andy is right about certain wagers inspiring future contestants watching at home.

My local newscasters weren't half bad. Should've been as easy a 5/5 for them as it was for me, but the Javits Center didn't ring any bells for them; at least pick a senator who is actually dead.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leander

Post by Leander »

The funny thing is, The Bodyguard musical has never run on Broadway, so I never considered it. I went with Footloose :oops:
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

Leander wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:48 pm The funny thing is, The Bodyguard musical has never run on Broadway, so I never considered it. I went with Footloose :oops:
Was my guess, too. It didn't click that both the songs were by Houston. (I did know they were both 90s songs, so that would be a bit too late for Footloose, but closer than Dirty Dancing, which was my other thought.) I think that even if that did click, I wouldn't have thought of the movie. (I've never seen the movie, and I don't associate it with songs beyond the fact that movies have soundtracks.)
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Would they have accepted "Iroquois Confederation," or did it need to be "Confederacy?
"
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I couldn't think of any early 90s movies made into musicals... other than Beauty and the Beast.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Ruling from the folks on here. In the "AL" category, on the computer programming language I went with ALGOL. Is there anything about the category or the clue I'm missing that would have caused that to be negged?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

BobF wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:30 pm Ruling from the folks on here. In the "AL" category, on the computer programming language I went with ALGOL. Is there anything about the category or the clue I'm missing that would have caused that to be negged?
Yes, Alex said that AL would appear at or near the end of each word.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:32 pm
BobF wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:30 pm Ruling from the folks on here. In the "AL" category, on the computer programming language I went with ALGOL. Is there anything about the category or the clue I'm missing that would have caused that to be negged?
Yes, Alex said that AL would appear at or near the end of each word.
Thanks.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,200
40 R/2 W
DD: 1/2
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: chaparral; Terracotta Army; Apartheid; "The Love Cats"; Izaak Walton, blasting cap

This game was a perfect example of why you shouldn't put too much stock in the FJ! category. While it was ostensibly about musical theater, this was really a clue about pop music and movies.
thenextofken wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:11 pm Would they have accepted "Iroquois Confederation," or did it need to be "Confederacy?"
I think they'd have to accept it. There may not have been an "Iroquois Confederation," but there was definitely an Iroquois confederation.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Not a Whitney Houston fan so I wasn't getting this FJ.

The outer two podiums went to wagering school, so Joey's only hope was a TS final clue.
I also wonder if Dimitri deliberately bluffed Joey into sitting pat.

The last two games have delivered a result that promotes first place covering third by $2.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

A victory for me from the 4th podium. Trash pickup: chapparal, Pascal (do they teach this anymore?), Terracotta Army (another credit to Civ), apartheid, Sphinx, Ireland DD (WECIB), Last Temptation of Christ, The Robe. Coulda had even more but I clammed on Bao Bao's mother. :mrgreen:

xxaaaxx wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:38 pm What is in the water!? Again, no matter how much you hate a category, sometimes it's a softball right down the middle of the plate. I know less about musicals than Emily's cat, but two Whitney Houston songs (which my mother played enough times when i was younger to burn them into my soul and I'll never be free) + 1992 film? Even I can handle that (A Bodyguard musical? I hated the movie, a full blown musical must've sucked). I hope Andy is right about certain wagers inspiring future contestants watching at home.
So true. Another musical and theater hater, but spot me Whitney's two biggest songs and say it's based on a film? This almost turned into a Pavlov.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I instantly guessed Aladdin for Final. It's a 1992 film that turned into a musical... but it turns out those songs aren't in either.
This game was much harder than last night's, at least for me. I had more correct responses in the first round of last night's game (27) than in tonight's whole game (26). Ouch.
Hoping for a third lap
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I'm not going to bother quoting the individual posts, but I do want to mention:

Both of those Whitney Houston songs are from the 1980s and not 1990s.

"I Will Always Love You" is without a doubt her biggest song. For second I would nominate "The Greatest Love of All" before either of the songs mentioned in tonight's clue.
BobF

Post by BobF »

DBear wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:48 pm Pascal (do they teach this anymore?)
Not at the college where I teach. I did learn it as an undergrad back in the 80's and never used it after college.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:14 pm
"I Will Always Love You" is without a doubt her biggest song. For second I would nominate "The Greatest Love of All" before either of the songs mentioned in tonight's clue.
The thing is, the two songs mentioned in the clue were introduced by Whitney. "I Will Always Love You" was written and originally popularized by Dolly Parton; "The Greatest Love of All" was introduced by George Benson; and another big Houston hit, "Saving All My Love For You,"was introduced by the team of Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr.

I was greatly surprised at Danny's zero bet after his hubristic Daily Double and his very crafty video daily double that put him into the lead.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.