TD 374 - Cherry Blossom Festival (BONUS AND FINAL RESULTS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

TD 374 - Cherry Blossom Festival (BONUS AND FINAL RESULTS)

Post by SenseiCAY »

Hello and welcome to TD 374.

Every year, one of the best times to be a tourist and worst times to be a resident of the DC area is sometime between March and April, when the famous cherry blossoms bloom around the Tidal Basin. The trees were a gift from the Japanese, and are meant to symbolize the friendship between our two nations, and so the Cherry Blossom Festival will be the theme to this game. Please enjoy.

Rules/Notes:
  1. Lowest point total wins; your score for each question is equal to the total number of players submitting that same answer.
  2. Pay attention to the first sentence in each question - it tells you what is required in your answer. Make sure you put all required information in your answer!
  3. Roosevelt Rule - In general, when your answer is a person's name, last name will be sufficient unless specifically mentioned, or when more information is required to distinguish your answer.
  4. You may use one DROP and take zero points for that question.
  5. You may use one SHEEP to take the sheep answer for that question.
  6. There will be a BONUS of (-4) for anyone who gives correct answers to all 10 questions, utilizing neither their drop nor their sheep options.
  7. There are three other opportunities for bonuses. Use questions 11 and 12 for those.
  8. Wrong responses (on Q1-Q10) are the higher of either +10 points or the "sheep" answer +3
  9. All answers are due by 10 AM ET on Tuesday, April 10th, 2018.
  10. Only the first submission per person is accepted; submit entries by PM or with this google form.
  11. No outside research is allowed.
  12. Feel free to ask for clarifications here if necessary.
--------------------------

1. CHERRIES - Letter and answer required. Choose a letter and answer the (possibly loosely) cherry-related question.
  1. What glam metal band is known for the song “Cherry Pie?”
  2. “Cherry snapper” is another name for what common fish?
  3. What is the name for a dessert normally made with cherries, flambeed, and served over vanilla ice cream?
  4. What liqueur is normally used in the preparation of the answer to (c)?
  5. What is the name of the children’s board game made by Hasbro, where the object is to pick ten cherries off your tree?
  6. What is the name of the best flavor of ice cream, a popular Ben & Jerry’s flavor featuring cherry ice cream, chunks of cherries, and fudge flakes?
  7. The rather mild cherry pepper is also known by what Spanish term?
  8. What term is used in basketball for the act of hanging out near the opponent’s goal with the hope of receiving a long pass and scoring an easy basket if the opposing team loses the ball, and also in public debate as another name for the fallacy of incomplete evidence?
  9. The cherry trees seen in Washington, DC were a gift from the Japanese in 1912. What is the Japanese term for the blossom of a Japanese cherry tree?
  10. Don Cherry is an announcer for what sport?
2. SMITHSONIAN - Establishment name required. The museums of the Smithsonian Institution are some of the most popular landmarks in Washington, DC. A little more than half of them line the National Mall, between the Washington Monument and the US Capitol Building. There are 10 Smithsonian museums and galleries (not counting the “Castle,” which houses the administrative offices and information center) on the National Mall. Name any one of them (note: you must give enough information to distinguish your answer).

As a bonus (use Q11), there are a total of 19 Smithsonian museums and galleries (again, not counting the Castle). For -1 point each, name as many Smithsonian museums/galleries as you can that are NOT on the National Mall. Wrong answers will be penalized +1 point each.

3. BLOSSOMS - Letter and answer required. Choose a picture and identify the flower pictured:

4. JAPAN - Letter and answer required. Answer one of the following questions about Japan.
  1. What is the former name of the current capital of Japan?
  2. What prefecture in Japan is home to a nuclear power plant that was disabled after an earthquake in 2011 damaged reactors and caused radiation leaks?
  3. What is the Japanese term for this object?
  4. Japan is well-known for its cuisine – restaurants serving dishes like tempura, sushi, udon, and ramen are fairly easy to find in the West. Natto is another well-known Japanese food item, although its fame likely comes from being an acquired taste. What common food item is fermented to create natto?
  5. The Japanese archipelago is composed of almost 7,000 islands. In any order, what are the names of the FOUR LARGEST?
  6. Composed of the House of Representatives and the House of Councillors, what is the collective name for Japan’s bicameral legislature, their version of what we call “Congress?”
  7. Written in the 11th century by Murasaki Shikibu, The Tale of whom is sometimes considered to be the world’s first novel?
  8. Sometimes referred to as “the Great Wave” or just “the Wave,” the full title of this work of art mentions what location?
  9. Who is the artist behind the work in (h)?
  10. Translated as “the way of warriors” and analogous to the European code of chivalry, what is the term for the “code” of moral values and conduct required of samurai?
5. FESTIVALS - Letter and answer required. Choose a letter and name the festival based on a picture or promotional poster:

6. 1934 – Letter and answer required. The first National Cherry Blossom Festival was held in 1934. Select a letter below and answer the question about another notable event, birth, or death that occurred in 1934.
  1. What city became the capital of Cote D’Ivoire in 1934 (although the political capital is not currently located there)?
  2. Still holding the career RBI record with 2,297, what baseball player was born on February 5, 1934?
  3. “Woman Haters” was the first short released by whom?
  4. What Disney character debuted in the animated short “The Wise Little Hen?”
  5. Dying in 1934, who was the first (and still the only) person to win a Nobel Prize in two different sciences?
  6. After the death of his father, King Albert I, who ascended to the throne in Belgium in 1934?
  7. Born in 1934, what activist and politician rose to prominence with the book “Unsafe at Any Speed?”
  8. Born in 1934, who is, as of the time of this game, the snowball-tossing senior Senator from Oklahoma?
  9. Shot and killed in 1934, Bonnie and Clyde were the two best-known members of what “gang” of criminals that also included Deacon Jones and Clyde’s older brother and sister-in-law?
  10. Dying in 1934, what composer is best known for an orchestral suite with seven movements, including ones originally titled, “the Bringer of War,” “the Bringer of Peace,” and “the Winged Messenger?”
7. WASHINGTON, DC BEFORE AND AFTER – phrase required, any names included in your answer must be first and last names. Where a person’s name is part of the answer, first and last are required for this question. Give one of the before-and-after phrases, somewhat associated with Washington, DC and the surrounding area, being described below. You know how these work – the answers are two or more overlapping phrases, where the last word of one phrase is the same as the first word of the next phrase. For example, an NBA player from Ohio who went on to become the 5th President of the United States would be “LeBron James Monroe.”
  • Writer of “I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell” who also pitched two no-hitters for the Washington Nationals in 2015.
  • Actress who plays similar characters in both Arrested Development and Archer who is the namesake for a medical center in Bethesda, Maryland.
  • A DC neighborhood south of the National Zoo, home to an investment banking firm that merged with Dean Witter in 1997.
  • 38th President of the United States whose venue was the site of the most famous (or infamous) performance of “Our American Cousin.”
  • A private school attended by both Chelsea Clinton and both of Barack and Michelle Obama’s daughters where Dewey Finn assembles a group of 4th graders to compete in a Battle of the Bands competition.
  • A…umm…clothing…company that was initially founded in 1865 to combat counterfeiting of currency.
  • Residents of a DC neighborhood named after a Civil War rear admiral and popular among the LGBT community sing the opening song from a 1994 Disney animated film.
  • A Supreme Court Justice known for being a man of few words moonlights as the main character on a kids’ TV show narrated, most famously, by Ringo Starr and George Carlin.
  • John Wall, Bradley Beal, and their teammates are employed by a game publisher best known for Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons and Dragons.
  • A brand name best known for packaged rice products such as “Ready Rice” takes over a DC restaurant known for its half-smokes.
8. BASEBALL – letter and name required. Select a letter and name the Major League Baseball player who started his career in Japan (note: not all players are currently active in MLB, but all players are shown wearing the uniform or hat of their most recent MLB team). Click the images for possible additional hints.

9. JAPAN-US RELATIONS – celebrity name required. The title of this question was once a category on Saturday Night Live’s Celebrity Jeopardy sketch. Name any celebrity that has “appeared” as a contestant on SNL’s Celebrity Jeopardy sketch, hosted by Will Ferrell as Alex Trebek (actors appearing as themselves also count here; we are looking for the celebrities being parodied, and not the actors that played them, unless the actor is playing themselves).

As a bonus (use Q12), name as many possible answers to this question as you can (including your answer to Q9). You will receive a bonus of -1 point for every 3 correct answers (rounded down, regardless of how many wrong answers you put down). The player with the most correct answers without a miss will receive an additional bonus of -5 points. The player with the second most will receive an additional bonus of -3 points.

10. MOVIES – letter and movie title required. Name one of the following movies set in Japan:

Last edited by SenseiCAY on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:58 pm, edited 11 times in total.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TD 374 - Cherry Blossom Festival

Post by twelvefootboy »

HELP!

There doesn't seem to be a user name field. I'll put mine in the first answer with answer following. I want to get in and scoop up singletons before the boardies jump in!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Holy crap, my bad - I've added a spot for your name! I see that everyone so far has added a name somewhere.

Thanks for bearing with me!
Tybalteon
Valued Contributor

Post by Tybalteon »

I'm not sure if it's just my connection, but if there are supposed to be images posted, I can't view them.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

was hoping for
Spoiler
battle royale
to be one of the movie choices
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Tybalteon wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:10 pm I'm not sure if it's just my connection, but if there are supposed to be images posted, I can't view them.
I can see them- they’re on imgur, which can be blocked by some places.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Thanks for hosting.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Spoiler
We have 37:

MarkBarrett
twelvefootboy
AFRET CMS
floridagator
Gamawire

casketromance
Rackme32
Saturnalia
Ironhorse
threearruda

squarekara
wpwells
merica
This is Aoba
Quantum

Troydozzy
ElendilPickle
Kirbstar
Tybalteon
classicroadster

Bipolar Bear
clt013
clprez
Sims
jbeltz

Peter the accountant
econgator
Peachbox
lefty
Sillymoose

Coach P
ihavejeoprosy
Vintsanity
NelsonWilbury
guessonguessonguess

Tabby50894
spell4yr
Last edited by SenseiCAY on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:16 am, edited 9 times in total.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

SenseiCAY wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:00 pm
Tybalteon wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:10 pm I'm not sure if it's just my connection, but if there are supposed to be images posted, I can't view them.
I'm having the same problem, yet have no trouble accessing imgur.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

heppm01 wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:32 pm
SenseiCAY wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:00 pm
I'm having the same problem, yet have no trouble accessing imgur.
Try it again - I fiddled with the permissions a bit.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Try it again now - I fiddled with the permissions a bit.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

SenseiCAY wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:48 pm
Still no luck.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

heppm01 wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:41 pm
SenseiCAY wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:48 pm
Still no luck.
OK - what are you seeing in the original post? Here are the links:

Blossoms

Festivals

Baseball

Movies
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Images appearing now - thanks for taking the time to investigate!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

heppm01 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:16 am Images appearing now - thanks for taking the time to investigate!
Yeah, no worries - more players is better than less.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Friday bump - we're at 22 players, and still lots of unused answers!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Weekend bump- lots of answers unused still!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

SenseiCAY wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:24 pm Weekend bump- lots of answers unused still!
Those of us who are pessimists may interpret that as bad news. If we're at closing weekend with "lots of answers unused," it means I'd better be ready to be sheared. But, why should this week be any different?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Up to 31 folks now, still a some unused answers out there. Get 'em in before tomorrow morning!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Last call! We're up to 36 and closing at 10 AM!