Monday, April 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, April 2, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:28 pm This was a horrible FJ! clue. Who's to say anyone can even instantly recognize that as any of the 629,000 Kennedys?
I'll wager that many of us recognized it as RFK in a matter of milliseconds. I know I did.
CasketRomance
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CasketRomance »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:31 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:28 pm This was a horrible FJ! clue. Who's to say anyone can even instantly recognize that as any of the 629,000 Kennedys?
I'll wager that many of us recognized it as RFK in a matter of milliseconds. I know I did.
me too and i don't know crap about usa politics on the whole...so if i was able to get it right, should have been instaget for the 2 jeopardy contestants that failed to come up with correct responses
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

bbird wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:00 pm
Howard wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:46 pm I doubt I'll receive an answer to this question, but do you have trouble recognizing faces in your day to day life? Because thats the only explanation I can come up with for someone getting that Marlon Brando question wrong yet still being aware of who he is.
I'm not TPH, but I'm far less familiar with young Brando. I'm much more familiar with Godfather/Dr. Moreau/John-Goodman-on-SNL-Celebrity-Jeopardy! Brando. Young Brando doesn't even look like the same person.

That FJ on the other hand, I recognized as a Kennedy even from the tiny preview thumbnail as I was fast-forwarding my DVR.
same...don''t believe i have ever seen a brando picture pre 70s before
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

dhkendall wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:08 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:48 pm I kept thinking, "That looks like JFK but I don't think he ever led any Cabinet departments, right?" I couldn't make the obvious leap.
FWIW both mrs. dhkendall and I thought it was JFK (and I couldn't think of what cabinet department JFK led, WAGged "Peace Corps at second 28 knowing full well that's not a cabinet department) (FTR, mrs. dhkendall thought it was just asking for the person).

Also, if we're doing data collection, neither mrs. dhkendall nor I, to the best of my knowledge, have an especially hard problem with faces like Ironhorse (unless I missed something, the only one so far who thought JFK) does.
how do you think you will do with the japanese baseball players' pictures in the newest TD?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $29,200
43 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: three-point landing, Lutheranism, poacher

I'm surprised FJ! played as hard as it did, both on the show and here. I thought the portrait was unmistakably a Kennedy, and then it's a matter of determining which Cabinet-level department has been headed by a member of that family. Then again, I mistook Brando for Paul Newman, so what do I know?
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:28 pm Why did Elizabeth not pick a department? Any department.
This X 100. She had a 1/15 chance, which was really more like a 1/3 or 1/4 chance, since it's not like it was going to be HUD or Interior or whatever.

My family and I drove from Utah Valley to Boise today, so it was fun to see a clue about the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad just a few hours after passing the off-ramp for the Golden Spike monument.
Sprinkles are for winners.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:28 pm Emily opened well (ran REESE WITHERSPOON MOVIES) and closed well $1600 & $2000 clues in NEVER FORGET AN ELEPHANT to have the lead for the FJ! round. The DJ! round conveniently ended after clue 28 when Emily took the lead for the first time in the round with no chance for Elizabeth to sweep the last two clues and regain the lead.

It did not matter as Daniel had the sole solve of the FJ! clue. Why did the clue go 1/3? Did E & E not recognize the guy in the portrait? Did they know who it was and not his department? Why did Elizabeth not pick a department? Any department. That’s okay, Elizabeth got her moment by going along well with the sooey clue.

For those who looked at the Clue of the Day, that was DD3.

As Alex reminded in his opening, the College Championship starts next Monday.
well there would have been more time left in the round had she not said the full name of the category when she chose the first clue in that category
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:41 am My family and I drove from Utah Valley to Boise today, so it was fun to see a clue about the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad just a few hours after passing the off-ramp for the Golden Spike monument.
I took a day trip to see the Golden Spike monument and the Spiral Jetty. They're both pretty far off the beaten track.

There was a 60 Minutes report on prosopagnosia that will be of interest to some people here, especially TPH. I will confess to having at least a mild version of it (but FJ was an instaget):

Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

Good game by all; I was surprised that Emily and Elizabeth both missed FJ but from the comments here, it looks like it will poll around 50%.

And, for all that it's a little weird for Alex to comment so often to contestant about things "before your time," but that seems to be the gist of some of the comments here, i.e., RFK and (young) Brando were before their time. :) On The Waterfront starring Marlon Brando is a great movie that holds up very well and I commend it to the youngsters here who haven't seen it yet. A Streetcar Named Desire is also pretty great and also features a young Brando, but Tennessee Williams can be a little much for some.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:52 am And, for all that it's a little weird for Alex to comment so often to contestant about things "before your time,"
The Roman Empire is before my time. How am I supposed to know who Julius Caesar was? :D
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:55 am
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:52 am And, for all that it's a little weird for Alex to comment so often to contestant about things "before your time,"
The Roman Empire is before my time. How am I supposed to know who Julius Caesar was? :D
And how could I be expected to differentiate him from the 790,000 other Caesars??

That said, if US History classes are like they were in my day, an inordinate amount of time was spent up to the American Revolution, then skipping ahead to the Civil War, with a race through the remainder of the 19th century and into the 20th (which was considerably less complete when I was in school). Maybe they should go backwards instead as more recent history surely has more relevance in the real world?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

My problem isn't facial recognition per se; but I do sometimes have issues dredging names up to match faces. "Oh, yeah, it's him, the one who played Bill in the movie about the plane crash, and got in trouble for mooning the waiter a couple of years ago, and then was nominated for an Emmy for a guest spot. Herman? Hiram? Homer? Hermione?"

And apropos of nothing at all, the whole discussion for some reason brings to mind Groucho's classic line: "I never forget a face. But in your case, I'm willing to make an exception."
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:58 pm ... with a race through the remainder of the 19th century and into the 20th (which was considerably less complete when I was in school).
That's one of my issues with history questions like Bobby Kennedy as AG. Now it's long-ago history, and I get distracted by memories of discussion in "current events" class ....
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

theFJguy is heading out to go see a movie and won't be home until later this afternoon. When the Archivists post the Tuesday 4/3 thread there will be a delay before the usual follow-up posts appear. https://thejeopardyfan.com/ has the relevant information for today's game and the Reddit guy has posted the video of the 4/3 episode.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Given that a few other people have said they struggled to recognize Brando and/or RFK, I think it's not just my face blindness this time.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:30 pm
Don't Think Twice wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:43 pm Maybe age was a factor in getting FJ today. I'm old enough to remember when the Kennedys were in office. Even so, there has been so much written over the years about Bobby Kennedy as AG: Acting as a chief advisor to his brother during the Cuban Missile Crisis, Hoffa, dealing with the Mafia, his battles with J.E. Hoover, and how much he and LBJ despised each other.
Any reason I should know that was Marlon Brando in the top box?
Maybe because the photo looked just like him? :)
don't think age was a factor...the old lady didn't even muster up a response...and the champion, who got marlon brando right (had no idea that was him in that picture), punted the clue...if she could come up with marlon brando for the picture in that given clue, age surely didn't play a factor for her

"The old lady"'? Really?
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

flemmingfan wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:18 pm
CasketRomance wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:30 pm
Don't Think Twice wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:43 pm Maybe age was a factor in getting FJ today. I'm old enough to remember when the Kennedys were in office. Even so, there has been so much written over the years about Bobby Kennedy as AG: Acting as a chief advisor to his brother during the Cuban Missile Crisis, Hoffa, dealing with the Mafia, his battles with J.E. Hoover, and how much he and LBJ despised each other.
Any reason I should know that was Marlon Brando in the top box?
Maybe because the photo looked just like him? :)
don't think age was a factor...the old lady didn't even muster up a response...and the champion, who got marlon brando right (had no idea that was him in that picture), punted the clue...if she could come up with marlon brando for the picture in that given clue, age surely didn't play a factor for her

"The old lady"'? Really?
well she is old
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought that was JFK at first glance but he was never in the cabinet. Then it took a few seconds to skip over State and make the AG transition to the department’s name.

I know who Brando is, but I didn’t recognize the picture of him.

I looked her up on Facebook and Elizabeth graduated high school in 1981. That would make her around 54-55. That isn’t old and she looked younger than that.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:00 pm I looked her up on Facebook and Elizabeth graduated high school in 1981. That would make her around 54-55. That isn’t old and she looked younger than that.
Makes no difference if she is old or looks old. That was a rude comment and apparently made maliciously judging by the OP rebuttal. Comments like that say a lot more about the poster than it does the subject. We all make jokes that flop and loosely edited posts (resistor codes, anyone :oops: ) due to multi-tasking and haste, and a simple Mea Culpa says who you are and who you are not. Now back to chasing those kids off my lawn :D
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Yeah, I knew who it was supposed to be within the second it took to discard JFK. Also had to run the math on Teddy to know he only was involved with the liquor Cabinet.

But I thought it was an unrealistic and overly flattering portrayal because Robert never came across as that handsome to me. Looking up images, I think it was his widow's peaks that made him the ugly brother to my adolescent and unrefined masculinometer. History is kind to him, and the portrait should be as well, deservedly so.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 30, W: 2, costing 1800
Coryat: 20,800
FJ: :mrgreen:
DD: 3/3
LT: none, nada, zilch

Timings:
2:54 + 3:25 = 6:19
6:37
1:24

This game played easier for me. My Achilles' heel stuck out, with whiffs in Ms. Witherspoon and the writers. At least the players only got 2 of the writers as well. So I don't feel as bad about that one.

I instantly recognized the portrait as a Kennedy, and quickly deduced it must be Robert and not John. AFAIK, Robert was the only Kennedy to hold a cabinet post, as Attorney General. My hesitation was over what department the AG headed. It had to be Justice, right? Yep.

On the young Brando photo, I clammed because I couldn't come up with the name fast enough. And that was a good thing, since I was trying to think of Robert Redford. I'll let you all decide if there is some similarity.
Spoiler
--Peter