Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 11199
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not that it's saying much, but the second season of Winsanity has changed its format and it is an improvement.  The bonus round gives five items and five numbers and the contestant has to  use an interactive screen to realign the items to the correct numbers.  It's $10,000 if done correctly.  The host (still Donald Faison) lets the player know how many are correct (not which ones) and the remaining time on the clock can be used to switch answers.

I laughed when there was Westworld coming up again after an appearance on J! earlier this week. These are the items and numbers in incorrect order:
Spoiler
Image
This is the correct line up:
Spoiler
Image
The contestant got only the pizza (framed in green) right, for $500.
GSN is showing it along with Divided from 3-4 AM.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8848
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:44 pm
This is the correct line up:
Spoiler
Image
The contestant got only the pizza (framed in green) right, for $500.
I suspect I would have swapped the top two.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7754
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:59 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:44 pm
This is the correct line up:
Spoiler
Image
The contestant got only the pizza (framed in green) right, for $500.
I suspect I would have swapped the top two.
That's what I did initially. But then we would've been told we had 3 of 5 right. At that point, switching the top two to the correct order is the most obvious move. We'd be done in two moves.

User avatar
Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:55 am
Location: Joplin, Missouri

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by Bartleby »

I got this by knowing the obvious pizza and Koko numbers, figuring the Westworld price would be an even amount and the Mensa members would be an odd amount, and the Hulk had to be the high number to be interesting/funny.
I would prefer not to.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 8848
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:30 pm
That's what I did initially. But then we would've been told we had 3 of 5 right. At that point, switching the top two to the correct order is the most obvious move. We'd be done in two moves.
Ah. Didn't know you got more than one guess.

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1844
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 pm

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by Golf »

Interesting. Obvious key is knowing the Koko number. Then it's a 50/50 with the top 2.

I wonder if Koko still like playing with human nipples?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 10005
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by Bamaman »

I guess it would have helped if I had heard of Westworld before looking at the list.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by IronNeck »

Bartleby wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:52 pm
I got this by knowing the obvious pizza and Koko numbers, figuring the Westworld price would be an even amount and the Mensa members would be an odd amount,
Every number listed there is even.

User avatar
Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:55 am
Location: Joplin, Missouri

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by Bartleby »

IronNeck wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:38 am
Bartleby wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:52 pm
I got this by knowing the obvious pizza and Koko numbers, figuring the Westworld price would be an even amount and the Mensa members would be an odd amount,
Every number listed there is even.
You know what I meant :roll:
I would prefer not to.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by IronNeck »

Bartleby wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:54 am
IronNeck wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:38 am
Bartleby wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:52 pm
I got this by knowing the obvious pizza and Koko numbers, figuring the Westworld price would be an even amount and the Mensa members would be an odd amount,
Every number listed there is even.
You know what I meant :roll:
Not really, no. What did you mean?

User avatar
Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:55 am
Location: Joplin, Missouri

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by Bartleby »

IronNeck wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:06 am
Bartleby wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:54 am
IronNeck wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:38 am
Bartleby wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:52 pm
I got this by knowing the obvious pizza and Koko numbers, figuring the Westworld price would be an even amount and the Mensa members would be an odd amount,
Every number listed there is even.
You know what I meant :roll:
Not really, no. What did you mean?
57 vs 40
I would prefer not to.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by IronNeck »

Bartleby wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:39 am
IronNeck wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:06 am
Bartleby wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:54 am
IronNeck wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:38 am
Bartleby wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:52 pm
I got this by knowing the obvious pizza and Koko numbers, figuring the Westworld price would be an even amount and the Mensa members would be an odd amount,
Every number listed there is even.
You know what I meant :roll:
Not really, no. What did you mean?
57 vs 40
So you just divided both numbers by 1000? Why? How is that relevant to anything?

I would add that a great many book, of which the movie and later TV series are based on, include many "non-round" numbers.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7020
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by seaborgium »

IronNeck wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:37 pm
Bartleby wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:39 am
IronNeck wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:06 am
Bartleby wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:54 am
IronNeck wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:38 am


Every number listed there is even.
You know what I meant :roll:
Not really, no. What did you mean?
57 vs 40
So you just divided both numbers by 1000? Why? How is that relevant to anything?

I would add that a great many book, of which the movie and later TV series are based on, include many "non-round" numbers.
Yes, but those numbers weren't in the list.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7262
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by Volante »

IronNeck wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:37 pm
Bartleby wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:39 am
IronNeck wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:06 am
Bartleby wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:54 am
IronNeck wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:38 am


Every number listed there is even.
You know what I meant :roll:
Not really, no. What did you mean?
57 vs 40
So you just divided both numbers by 1000? Why? How is that relevant to anything?

I would add that a great many book, of which the movie and later TV series are based on, include many "non-round" numbers.
"Even" was used because "Odd significant figure not divisible by five" is painful to type and comprehend.
Is being deliberately obtuse a hobby of yours or something?...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Lone Wolf & Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons (9), Lone Wolf & Cub: White Heaven in Hell (9), Into the Forest (5)

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by IronNeck »

Volante wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:52 pm
"Odd significant figure not divisible by five" is painful to type and comprehend.
This is also wrong. 40,000 is divisible by 5, and if you meant the 4 in 4*10^4, that is not divisible by 5. Similarly, 57,000 is divisible by 5, and if you meant the 5.7 in 5.7*10^4, that is ALSO not divisible by 5.

Ergo, what is the supposed difference?
Is being deliberately obtuse a hobby of yours or something?...
No, but it's clear being a rude asshat is a favorite pastime of yours.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7020
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by seaborgium »

Bartleby followed a hunch that the more specific five-digit number (i.e. the one with fewer zeroes on the end) was more likely to be a real-life statistic, and that the less specific one (i.e. the one with more zeroes on the end) was more likely to be a fictional price. And he was right.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by IronNeck »

seaborgium wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:59 am
Bartleby followed a hunch that the more specific five-digit number (i.e. the one with fewer zeroes on the end) was more likely to be a real-life statistic, and that the less specific one (i.e. the one with more zeroes on the end) was more likely to be a fictional price. And he was right.
Ah, that reasoning makes sense!

I didn't understand what any of it had to do with odd or even, though.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7020
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by seaborgium »

IronNeck wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:36 am
seaborgium wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:59 am
Bartleby followed a hunch that the more specific five-digit number (i.e. the one with fewer zeroes on the end) was more likely to be a real-life statistic, and that the less specific one (i.e. the one with more zeroes on the end) was more likely to be a fictional price. And he was right.
Ah, that reasoning makes sense!

I didn't understand what any of it had to do with odd or even, though.
The number of thousands was even for the fictional number.

User avatar
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 4746
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by jeff6286 »

I think if you just substitute round number for even number this could’ve been solved 12 posts sooner. However I’m not sure logic was 100% infallible. I have no specific knowledge of the westworld universe but I see no reason to assume they couldn’t charge 57,000 instead of 40,000. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a large American theme park charge a “round number” price. In the Midwest, tickets are often something like $47.99 or $54.95. In Orlando they usually have tiered pricing for multi-day tickets but a single day ticket might be in the $109 or $118 range. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen one listed at exactly $100. Outside of the documentary film Jurassic World, I don’t think westworld has a lot of real world equivalents, so who knows how reasonable it is to assume a round number price on an extravagant fictional theme park
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 7262
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Fun with GSN's "Winsanity"

Post by Volante »

IronNeck wrote:
Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:53 am
Volante wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:52 pm
"Odd significant figure not divisible by five" is painful to type and comprehend.
This is also wrong. 40,000 is divisible by 5, and if you meant the 4 in 4*10^4, that is not divisible by 5. Similarly, 57,000 is divisible by 5, and if you meant the 5.7 in 5.7*10^4, that is ALSO not divisible by 5.

Ergo, what is the supposed difference?
Is being deliberately obtuse a hobby of yours or something?...
No, but it's clear being a rude asshat is a favorite pastime of yours.
Go look up what significant figures are in math before you try to claim "4" is divisible by 5.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Lone Wolf & Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons (9), Lone Wolf & Cub: White Heaven in Hell (9), Into the Forest (5)

Post Reply