Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7734, 2018-04-05

CONTESTANTS
Arielle Lipshaw, a business analyst from Arlington, Massachusetts
Kristin Robbins, an attorney from Red Bank, New Jersey
Jack Dickey, a journalist from New York, New York (whose 2-day cash winnings total $46,802)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Good to have you with us today for another half-hour of answers and questions, and we're delighted to welcome Kristin and Arielle, the newcomers. Good luck, players. Here we go. Jeopardy! Round is where we start. Has one Daily Double and today, in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MINE-APOLIS (3/3, including 1 correct Daily Double)
X-Y-Z ABBREVIATIONS (5/5)
TRANSPORTATION IN SONG (4/5)
KING JAMES BIBLE QUOTES (4/5)
MANY ARE CALLED (5/5)
FEW ARE CHOSEN (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kristin: 13 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Jack: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Arielle: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kristin: $3,600
Jack: $1,600
Arielle: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Arielle Lipshaw is a business analyst from Massachusetts, and you do a podcast...

Arielle: Yes.

Alex: ...with your husband. I'd like to hear about that.

Arielle: Okay, so I do a podcast with my husband Jeremy, and it's about adaptations, usually of books into other things, so movies, TV shows, even video games. It's a lot of fun. It's a fun thing to do together.

Alex: I'm sure it is. Now, let me ask you this. What book that you can think of right now has not been made into a television series or a movie that you would really like to see?

Arielle: I would like to see Dawn by Octavia Butler. I think it's an amazing science fiction novel that's never been adapted as far as I know.

Alex: Okay. Maybe some director-producer is watching the program right now.

Alex: Kristin Robbins is an attorney from New Jersey, and you--good for you--have two rescue dogs, right?

Kristin: I do.

Alex: What breeds?

Kristin: There's a miniature pinscher and just kind of a crazy mutt dog of unidentifiable origin.

Alex: But the fun thing about your dogs is the names you have given them.

Kristin: Yes, so our little dog we adopted--she was named Betty Ford by the guy who rescued her, and so for our second dog, we decided to go along with the same theme, and he is Franklin Delano.

Alex: Terrific.

Alex: Jack Dickey is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. He's a journalist from New York who's into hockey. You played hockey when you were growing up, and your girlfriend did something special for you for your birthday, I hear.

Jack: Yes. Last year, she rented out the rink where I had played as a kid for just the two of us, and--

Alex: Just the two of you?

Jack: Just the two of us, for an hour. And I was still terrible at hockey, but it was the most fun I've ever had. And I kept hitting the goal horn, which is a lot of fun.

Alex: Did she have a hockey stick, too?

Jack: She did.

Alex: Oh, gosh. I don't want to hear any more about it.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kristin found the Daily Double on the 28th clue. Jack had $4,800, Kristin had $5,000, and Arielle was at $2,800. Kristin wagered $1,000.

MINE-APOLIS $600: An oracle could not have predicted the region seen here with this nickname would shift its jobs from farming to tech
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
KING JAMES BIBLE QUOTES $1000: "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; ____, and it shall be opened unto you"

TRANSPORTATION IN SONG $800: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis buy these vehicles that can be pedaled or driven with a gas engine & head "Downtown"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kristin: $6,000
Jack: $4,800
Arielle: $2,800
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 5, 2018 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BOOKS & AUTHORS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
COMIC STRIPS (5/5)
ORGANIZATIONS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORD ORIGINS (5/5)
KNOWLEDGE (4/5)
THE OLD COUNTRY (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jack: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Kristin: 10 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Arielle: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kristin snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Jack had $5,200, Kristin had $6,800, and Arielle was at $2,800. Kristin wagered $1,800.

BOOKS & AUTHORS $1200: His last 2 novels, "Omerta" & "The Family" were published after his death in 1999
(Kristin: Who is Michael Crichton?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jack who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 13th clue. Jack had $8,000, Kristin had $7,000, and Arielle was at $4,800. Jack wagered $3,000.

ORGANIZATIONS $1200: To encourage marksmanship 2 Union vets founded this organization in 1871

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
KNOWLEDGE $2000: This -ology is the branch of philosophy concerned with the theory of knowledge
(Arielle: What is teleology?)

THE OLD COUNTRY $400: In 1904 Dahomey became part of the new territory called French West this, which lasted until 1958

THE OLD COUNTRY $1200: From 1815 to 1860 the Kingdom of the Two these united southern Italy & one big island

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jack: $18,200
Kristin: $18,200
Arielle: $6,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FILMS OF THE 1990s

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Prisoner's dilemma.
Jack: Do you trust Kristin? Then bet $0.
Kristin: Don't trust Jack? Then bet $18,200 and hope for an easy Final Jeopardy! clue.
Arielle: If Jack and Kristin both wager all $18,200 and give incorrect responses, you'll wind up the winner so long as you don't bet more than $6,399. Since your score is less than half either of theirs (meaning you can't overtake them by wagering money) and your win is predicated on both of them getting Final wrong (meaning that, chances are, you won't get it right either), a wager of $0 seems wisest.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Tommy Lee Jones won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for this movie based on a TV series that premiered in 1963

FINAL SCORES
Arielle: $6,400 + $6,399 = $12,799 (What is The Fugitive?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Kristin: $18,200 + $18,199 = $36,399 (What is The Fugitive?) (New champion: $36,399)
Jack: $18,200 - $18,200 = $0 (What is Men in Black?) (3rd place: $1,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kristin: $19,600, 23 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jack: $16,400, 19 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Arielle: $6,400, 10 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $42,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Kristin: 24/60 = .400
Jack: 19/59 = .322
Arielle: 11/58 = .190
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TRANSPORTATION IN SONG $200: In "The Christmas Song, "They know that Santa's on his way, he's loaded lots of toys and goodies on" this
[ERRATUM: The clue is missing quotation marks after "Song".]

TRANSPORTATION IN SONG $1000: On this, "You leave the Pennsylvania station 'bout a quarter to four, read a magazine and then you're in Baltimore"
(Kristin: What is "Pennsylvania 6-5000"?)

MINE-APOLIS $200: Galena, Illinois is so-named because Galena, a sulfide of this soft metal, was mined there
(Arielle: What is aluminum?)

MANY ARE CALLED $400: Get back to nature with this 2-word system of calling a large number of people & having 'em call others to spread info fast
(Alex: With less than a minute to go.)

COMIC STRIPS $400: One of Santa's helpers, Beanie is this type of benevolent elf that sounds like a junior Girl Scout

COMIC STRIPS $800: Debuting in 1989, the office everyman seen here is drawn by this cartoonist

COMIC STRIPS $1200: These two comic stars are different in some fundamental ways, but both love good food

COMIC STRIPS $1600: Tank McNamara's name should help you know that his early history included time in this sport

COMIC STRIPS $2000: He was created by former greeting card artist Tom Wilson

WORD ORIGINS $800: This type of decorative work gets its name from the Greek for "a place of the Muses"

WORD ORIGINS $1600: If you are wacky, you might be this end-of-alphabet adjective too, from the name of a character in commedia dell'arte
(Alex: [*] for Zanni.)

THE OLD COUNTRY $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) Put "A-S" in front of the name of a current country to get this ancient kingdom of Mesopotamia

CORRECT RESPONSES
Silicon Valley
knock
mopeds
Mario Puzo
the National Rifle Association (NRA)
epistemology
French West Africa
the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies
The Fugitive
his sleigh
the "Chattanooga Choo Choo"
lead
a phone tree
a brownie
(Scott) Adams
Marmaduke and Garfield
football
Ziggy
mosaic
zany
Assyria
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FILMS OF THE 1990s

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Tommy Lee Jones won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for this movie based on a TV series that premiered in 1963

Jack Dickey: 18200-18200=0
Kristin Robbins: 18200+18199=36399 (New Champ)
Arielle Lipshaw: 6400+6399=12799

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Fugitive (Jack – Men In Black)

Daily Doubles
Kristin: 5000+1000
Kristin: 6800-1800
Jack: 8000+3000

Coryats
Jack: 16400
Kristin: 19600
Arielle: 6400

Combined: 42,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jack: 4800
Kristin: 6000
Arielle: 2800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The author Arielle mentioned during chat time has two hits in the Archive:

#7720, aired 2018-03-16 AFRICAN-AMERICAN LITERATURE $2000: This author of "Kindred" & "Xenogenesis" combined African-American culture with science fiction themes

#3281, aired 1998-12-07 AFRICAN-AMERICAN WRITERS $800: Octavia Butler writes novels like "Clay's Ark" & "Patternmaster" in this genre

Both clues were TS, so look for her again in 2038.

After clue 27 of the DJ! round Jack led 18200 to 12600. Nice closing by Kristin to sweep the remaining clues worth $5600 to tie the match.

The FJ! round had the possibility of a tiebreaker I thought at 36400 apiece while it turned out after seeing the wagers a more difficult clue could have had Kristin & Arielle tiebreaking $1 totals.

Another scenario of Jack winning by a $1 would have been a tough loss for Kristin. The worst case scenario for the show would have been Jack & Kristin tied at 36400 and someone sent packing after playing such a strong game. That would only have left a sour taste for viewers.

The FJ! clue is one where it could have been cut in half after “movie” and it’s still a solve. It’s fine to add more information to make the clue more interesting although I’ll be curious if the TV portion really helped anyone get it. My instinct is it only cements the correct response with assurance after the title is already in mind.

Why did he get the Oscar?
Spoiler
Spoiler
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

A pop culture clue broke my streak at 13.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 40,800
50 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: knock, mopeds, Mario Puzo (DD), epistemology, Africa

Jack saved Kristin from a lifetime of heartbreak and regret. Leaving that dollar on the table should have sent her home, but Jack couldn't find the correct response in any gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, hen house, outhouse, or doghouse in his brain.

Today's Pavlov I couldn't pull: Theodore Dreiser + sibling = Sister Carrie.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:56 pm
The FJ! clue is one where it could have been cut in half after “movie” and it’s still a solve. It’s fine to add more information to make the clue more interesting although I’ll be curious if the TV portion really helped anyone get it. My instinct is it only cements the correct response with assurance after the title is already in mind.

Why did he get the Oscar?
Spoiler
Spoiler
A great role and performance but I would have guessed Ralph Fiennes had won for Schindler's List.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Easy FJ! clue. I got it in a heartbeat.

I don’t understand why in a tie after DJ! contestants bet all but $1 to avoid the tiebreaker clue. Kristen was lucky that Jack got it wrong.
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:56 pm The FJ! clue is one where it could have been cut in half after “movie” and it’s still a solve. It’s fine to add more information to make the clue more interesting although I’ll be curious if the TV portion really helped anyone get it. My instinct is it only cements the correct response with assurance after the title is already in mind.
I absolutely needed the TV portion to get the answer.
It was an instaget, but without the mention of "TV series" I doubt I would have come up with the answer.
This bit of information: "premiered in 1963" helped make this an instaget.
I would still have solved it without the year, but I may have had to think a little longer to come up with the correct answer.
Movies and the Academy Awards are not one of my strengths.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:56 pm Why did he get the Oscar?
Spoiler
I love Tommy Lee Jones, and I channel this two seconds of his Oscar®-winning performance every time my kids plead for more video game time.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Words cannot express how much I was hoping he got that right.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

With 3 clues left, I quickly did the math in my head and saw the potential for a tie. This was a lot less exciting than last time, since we've seen the tiebreaker and it sucks IMO, yet it still managed to end in a letdown. I was not happy with Kristin's wager; I was sure it would be immediately punished with a triple get, but it was not to be. If you're not willing to bet it all in a tie scenario, why not bet 0? Or if you insist on betting something, why not keep 3rd locked out? Bah humbug.
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:56 pm The FJ! clue is one where it could have been cut in half after “movie” and it’s still a solve. It’s fine to add more information to make the clue more interesting although I’ll be curious if the TV portion really helped anyone get it.
The second I saw 'Tommy Lee Jones' I started laughing. I know pop culture is a weak spot for some (including the ex-champ!), but for this child of the '80s and '90s, it couldn't have been more instaget if they just played a clip of the dam jump scene (which I wouldn't put past them after that picture of TR on Monday).
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a nightmare board for me. Luckily the DJ round was finished and we weren't left with 2 unrevealed geography clues.

The Silicon Valley DD should have simply been a regular top of the board clue.

I said Mission: Impossible for FJ.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

xxaaaxx wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:38 pm With 3 clues left, I quickly did the math in my head and saw the potential for a tie. This was a lot less exciting than last time, since we've seen the tiebreaker and it sucks IMO, yet it still managed to end in a letdown. I was not happy with Kristin's wager; I was sure it would be immediately punished with a triple get, but it was not to be. If you're not willing to bet it all in a tie scenario, why not bet 0? Or if you insist on betting something, why not keep 3rd locked out? Bah humbug.
Because ignorance is bliss. Lost in all this would be a very bad wager from 3rd as well. In a perfect wagering world 3rd wagered well as the leaders should either wager everything or lockout third. But when you have the blissful people wagering as they do from the lead tie....

Oh well, none of us should be surprised.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

On FJ I needed the reference to the TV show, since I thought of Girard as a leading role in the movie. I was in high school when The Fugitive was on TV, but never watched it.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:56 pm
Tommy Lee jones Oscar role movie - I have nothing.
Tommy Lee jones Oscar role movie + TV Ref - Instaget
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

trash pickup: knock, mopeds (WECIB), Mario Puzo DD, Africa, Sicilies.
The TV reference in FJ! was essential in not pulling a Jack and answering "Men in Black"
Glad to see the betting police long at the scene.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I, too, said Men in Black.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:03 pm A great role and performance but I would have guessed Ralph Fiennes had won for Schindler's List.
For supporting actor?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Purpose under heaven" was my only miss in Bible.

Elevators are "transportation"?

Galena = lead and French West Africa seemed obscure in the top box.

I strongly suspect that the top box in Comic Strips was a replacement as it didn't really fit the category. It was also my only miss in a wheelhouse category as I've NHO "brownie" referring to an elf that I recall.

I am vaguely aware that there is a movie called The Fugitive but I know literally nothing about it otherwise. Can't say I've heard of the TV show.

Lach Trash: knock, moped